It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Testing In High Schools... What Do You Think?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   

More dangerous stuff than crack and heroin eh?

As bad as both of those are, I won't hesitate to say alchohol and nicotene are worse.
Absolutely.

Both are extremely addictive, both cause major health problems - tobacco in particular will kill most regular users eventually.

So if it's simply a "public safety" issue, why not bring back Prohibition and apply it to tobacco products too? Because we learned a simple lesson in the 20's - Prohibition doesn't work, and leads to an epidemic of crime. Funny we forgot that lesson so quickly.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Nephyx Like I said before but you refuse to listen NOT ALL KIDS CAN OR WILL TALK TO THEIR PARENTS ALSO OTHER KIDS HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEARN IN A DRUG FREE ENVIROMENT and if you have a problem with random drug testings in schools why don't you go and hold up placards and demonstrate in front of the education department over there in the good ol' US of A.

/Sarcasm

Who knows maybe the government might listen to ya

/end Sarcasm

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koori
NOT ALL KIDS CAN OR WILL TALK TO THEIR PARENTS ALSO OTHER KIDS HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEARN IN A DRUG FREE ENVIROMENT

How does a student who smokes weed at home effect the learning of other students? Last i checked, doing drugs isnt a contagious disease.

and if you have a problem with random drug testings in schools why don't you go and hold up placards and demonstrate in front of the education department over there in the good ol' US of A.

Maybe I will, but then again the neo cons are doing a good enough job of wruining their own platform without my protests. Heres a better idea, Ill just be a better parent than you and rely on my own insight for raising children. You sound like you have alot of problems controlling your own children so you think you are justified in agreeing with mandatory drug tests for kids in the school play? PLease define the realistic connection between these tests and the 'Safety' of other students participating in this play.

This program discourages any child who experiments with drugs to do anything outside of school. Talk about fear and misunderstanding. Smoke a joint when you are 16 and your options are forever taken away. Thats totally fair. Sorry I spoke out of line Maam.

/Sarcasm
Who knows maybe the government might listen to ya

/end Sarcasm

More than anyone here listens to you.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by nephyx]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
About time school children should be drugs tested they are being used to supply the young generation of people into drugs. The UK has had this problem for years the same schools have the same drug problems where they are recruited to sell to other people or get their friends hooked. The best way to start a drugs econemy is to catch people when they are young and dumb. Problem is its taken 15 years of authorities to do something about it, during that time they have probably arrested the people who once were school children addicts.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
About time school children should be drugs tested they are being used to supply the young generation of people into drugs.

First of all how can the school system be used to supply the young generation of people into drugs. That sentence makes no sense.. Go back to school and stay off the drugs.

The UK has had this problem for years the same schools have the same drug problems where they are recruited to sell to other people or get their friends hooked. The best way to start a drugs econemy is to catch people when they are young and dumb. Problem is its taken 15 years of authorities to do something about it, during that time they have probably arrested the people who once were school children addicts.

Once again, I cannot debate with you because you fail to make any coherant argument. 'The best way to start a drugs econemy is to catch people when they are young and dumb' what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Drugs will always exist, a large percentage of people enjoy doing them, regardless of the rules. Denying these people the right to further their education is like denying slaves the freedom to read because of their skin color. If you do drugs you are denied an education.. why? So you cant prove to people that you can still succeed with the freedom to do what you want to your own body?

I didnt get drug tested in school, I dabbled in this and that. I am far more succesful than 99 percent of my peers (those who did as well as those who didnt use drugs). Kids that fail are usually failures from the getgo. Its hilarious how parents will blame everything on drugs instead of their own genetics or parenting skills.. Sorry that your child is a victim of natural selection but thats how it goes in the cruel game of life. We cant all produce winners.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx

Originally posted by The time lord
About time school children should be drugs tested they are being used to supply the young generation of people into drugs.

First of all how can the school system be used to supply the young generation of people into drugs. That sentence makes no sense.. Go back to school and stay off the drugs.

The UK has had this problem for years the same schools have the same drug problems where they are recruited to sell to other people or get their friends hooked. The best way to start a drugs econemy is to catch people when they are young and dumb. Problem is its taken 15 years of authorities to do something about it, during that time they have probably arrested the people who once were school children addicts.

Once again, I cannot debate with you because you fail to make any coherant argument. 'The best way to start a drugs econemy is to catch people when they are young and dumb' what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Drugs will always exist, a large percentage of people enjoy doing them, regardless of the rules. Denying these people the right to further their education is like denying slaves the freedom to read because of their skin color. If you do drugs you are denied an education.. why? So you cant prove to people that you can still succeed with the freedom to do what you want to your own body?

I didnt get drug tested in school, I dabbled in this and that. I am far more succesful than 99 percent of my peers (those who did as well as those who didnt use drugs). Kids that fail are usually failures from the getgo. Its hilarious how parents will blame everything on drugs instead of their own genetics or parenting skills.. Sorry that your child is a victim of natural selection but thats how it goes in the cruel game of life. We cant all produce winners.

I really don't understand how one can not see beween the lines. If there is a drugs problem in a particular area of Town then the drug dealers of that areas will pass it on to their little brothers who go to that school who pass it onto their friends.
Its the location of the Schools not the schools them selves. So if pupils are being tested then it may help at least prevent them from firstly taking drugs to school and secondly stopping the next generation, I have seen this trend my self. Its uaually hard drugs that they take like '___' and cocain.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
"Sorry that your child is a victim of natural selection but thats how it goes in the cruel game of life. We cant all produce winners."

I almost want that as my sig. I gave you a "way above top seceret" vote for that. Not everyone will succeed in life, and our tax money should not help them stay alive in any way shape or form. If someone is prone to addiction, let them fall, they are weak. People(including kids) should be resposible for themselves, and thier own familys. It's not your job to fix other people.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If one is a parent I would chose the right school if any are left that have the least drug problems, guess that is natrual selection too. Also its would be good just to stop any drinks being spiked on the more brighter and sensible children that don't want to be a part of this but because others could use them as a laugh if they were given somthing. Maybe sniffer dogs are ok or something as a non radical solution that does not have to take too many rights away.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Ill just be a better parent than you and rely on my own insight for raising children. You sound like you have alot of problems controlling your own children so you think you are justified in agreeing with mandatory drug tests for kids in the school play?

How dare you say such a thing you DO NOT know me or my children so you CANNOT judge me on my parenting.

Your vomit that you are spwewing needs cleaning up cause it stinks.

My children are better behaved then what you are cause they DO NOT judge people they DO NOT know, they are well mannered and respectful which is more then I can say for you.

Your just a judgementalist with no reguards for any bodies opinions but your own.

Your words are just spiteful. It seems to me you have no arguement so you attack on parenting skills.

Filth breeds filth so be careful when you have kids.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Koori]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So what kind of drugs are they testing on these kids and are they getting paid?

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   

How dare you say such a thing you DO NOT know me or my children so you CANNOT judge me on my parenting.

Your vomit that you are spwewing needs cleaning up cause it stinks.

My children are better behaved then what you are cause they DO NOT judge people they DO NOT know, they are well mannered and respectful which is more then I can say for you.

Your just a judgementalist with no reguards for any bodies opinions but your own.

Your words are just spiteful. It seems to me you have no arguement so you attack on parenting skills.

Filth breeds filth so be careful when you have kids.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by Koori]

Haha filth breeds filth.. This is coming from the woman with a Prositute sister and a mentally handicapped child.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I done a search on the web and apparently they'll be doing tests for dope, Ecstasy,
coc aine, amphetamines, opiates and PCP.

Sorry but I can't find out if they get paid or not.

The schools are also making sure that the tests remain confidential.

Here is something interesting I found...

One school in Autauga County, Alabama acually have a voluntary drug-testing program.

The kids that test negative to these drugs get rewarded with a picture ID that entitles them to special deals at more than 55 participating restaurants and stores.

The kids get to keep these I.D's as long as they test negative in twice-yearly random drug tests.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This program is run in private and public schools.

It would be great if Aussie adopts this program for our high school kids

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

koori
The kids that test negative to these drugs get rewarded with a picture ID that entitles them to special deals at more than 55 participating restaurants and stores.

Thats a slick idea. Everyone is concerned about liberties and privacy, etc etc, but, give them a gift, and I am sure that there'd be lots of kids volunteering for this. Seems that liberty isn't really valued as much as the kids are claiming.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Some of you truely don't seem to understand what this growing "Save us from ourselves" mentality is doing to our country at so many levels.

We are projecting such an image of inability to care for ourselves or our children and we are asking the government, once again, to solve our problems for us.

The message is that no one except the "Authorities" are capable of being responsible therefor let's make another law to cover this potential issue. Give up another right, the right of privacy of your own bodily fluids. We can't handle living, fix it for us, do it for us, I am helpless, help me. You are strong, but we are weak, oh officials save us because we don't want to save ourselves, you do it, I want to watch TV.

By the way KOORI, you mentioned, IN CAPS, that kids should be able to learn in a drug free environment. Does that mean also the kids that are all hopped up on Ritilan and other stimulants by the Docs? Oh, but thats different. Legal drugs are OK.

They force some kids on drugs and force some kids off drugs. The almighty physician controls the minds of the children. I'd personally rather my kid smoke an occasional joint than be on stimulants, chewing his lip all day because I didn't want to teach him how to behave. Of course this isn't always the case, some children have actual need for mind medicine, but I don't think very many.

Treat families like we can't solve our own problems and we won't.
Allow families to be in control of themselves and we will.
We have all been set up to believe we can't be trusted.
Try to understand what is really happening. Your fear is what you are acting from.
No one wants their kids effected by drugs, but your giving up by giving it over.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

By the way KOORI, you mentioned, IN CAPS, that kids should be able to learn in a drug free environment. Does that mean also the kids that are all hopped up on Ritilan and other stimulants by the Docs? Oh, but thats different. Legal drugs are OK.

I never said legal drugs are ok.

There are hebal medications out there that parents could use to help their kids with concentration like fish oil which is "brain food". If kids are taught more about nutrician by their parents then the need for Ritalin and other so called calming medications wouldn't be needed.

IMHO these medications (Ritalin etc) that are being prescribed to kids by doctors should be banned because all they are is speed, but hey the pharmacies that make these drugs make heaps of money out of them so why would they ban them???

Interestedalways why not try asking me if I think legal drugs are ok rather then you assuming that I think they are.

[edit on 20-9-2006 by Koori]

[edit on 20-9-2006 by Koori]

df1

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

If kids are taught more about nutrician by their parents then the need for Ritalin and other so called calming medications wouldn't be needed.

Here you go again. You've demonstrate no particular knowledge of parenting skills or nutrition, but you don't let that stand your way of trying to tell all other parents how they should do the job and now you want to tell them how to feed their children too. It is not surprising that you would want to discuss something other than the thread topic, since your argument in favor of randomly drug testing HS students falls flat on its face. Also I'd reserve your lofty self evaluation of your knowledge and parenting skills till you get the job done as I expect that you will be substantially more humble at that point.

IMHO these medications (Ritalin etc) that are being prescribed to kids by doctors should be banned...

Thats a pretty broad statement. What year did you graduate from medical school?

America would be better off if people like you would stop whining for the government to ban 'this', make everybody eat 'that' and test everybody for compliance. What you are proposing is turning america into a gulag built in your own image.

df1

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The folks that love the idea of random drug testing of students will really love the
Student and Teacher Safety Act , HR 5295, which would allow school officials to routinely search students going as far as even allowing strip seaches. Government will seize any power americans are willing to relinquish taking away our freedoms one at a time, while indoctrinating americas children to routinely accept vile assaults on their person and their dignity.

I have a barf bag next to my computer because I know some twit is going to support this legislation with the argument, "If you dont have anything to hide, whats da problem?".

[edit on 21-9-2006 by df1]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well, with the Catholic Church cracking down, all those guys have to go somewhere.

Looks like Congress is giving them a little present...

Hope all you authoritarians out there like the idea of your kids being forced to strip on demand for pervs...

[edit on 9/21/06 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Like many persons here, I believe that such testing is an intrusion of privacy. Let those people who use drugs (the bad ones), keep doing them. This is social darwinism at work. Eventually, those people die earlier or hopefully so. We don't need such an authority telling us what a person's problem is. Their own actions sculpt their life and so be it. Also, isn't it interesting that many achieved people past and present lived on excessive drug habits? What I mean to say is, for example many great poets i have been studying (for school) seem to have been alcoholics for example. This goes for many other prodigys in numerous other areas of human achievment. On the local level some stoner kids at school are also very smart. How does that work? This makes me think how drugs alter the psychology of people, a very intersting topic.

Sorry if i went off on a tangent. Maybe another thread should be started outlining the connections with drug use and geniuses ??

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Here you go again. You've demonstrate no particular knowledge of parenting skills or nutrition, but you don't let that stand your way of trying to tell all other parents how they should do the job and now you want to tell them how to feed their children too. It is not surprising that you would want to discuss something other than the thread topic, since your argument in favor of randomly drug testing HS students falls flat on its face. Also I'd reserve your lofty self evaluation of your knowledge and parenting skills till you get the job done as I expect that you will be substantially more humble at that point.

Df1 you argue for the sake of arguing.

You don't want the schools bring up our kids but you don't want parents teaching their kids right eating habits either...I suppose you don't want parents teaching their kids right from wrong either but just let them run wild and do what they like, talk about HYPOCRITICAL.

Your knowledege about what goes into Ritalin and other "calming drugs" is obviously very limited.

You can attack my parenting skills because obviously you are not a parent so that makes you the perfect one to speak out about bringing kids up. Yeap people without kids are the experts at least they think they are: flame:

DRUG TESTING IN SCHOOLS BRING IT ON

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join