It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Testing In High Schools... What Do You Think?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This program is so the kids get used to living in a world without personal rights. Most of the people who make it happen are ignorant to this fact, and its only the vermin at the very top that know what the true motivation is behind all this. They have to understand that cannabis is the ony substance they will be preventing. This will cause the kids that in our current situation that would just smoke pot, those type of kids will now just have to do something that leaves the system in just a few days, like heroin and cocain.

The worst thing is the sheep will again just accept this crap without thinking.

Instead of saying "let them eat cake"

Its now going to be " let them do heroin"

[edit on 17-9-2006 by LoneGunMan]

df1

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koori
I'm all for random drug testing in schools because not all parents and their children know how to talk about drugs, alcohol or sex.

Parents on the whole are much more successful than government at meeting their responsibilities. Why would you want to degrade the art of parenting by getting more government involved?

I have a child and we do talk but there are kids out there that can't or won't talk to their parents, guardians or teachers.

Your having a child confers no knowledge to you about other parents. Washington DC is a den of inquity and you want these morally bankrupt politicians to pass laws setting the standards for parenting children. I strongly suggest that you think again for the sake of your children.

Maybe governments should bring in mandatory one worker parent ONLY.

This opinion doesn't surprise me. Perhaps you'd like the government to provide laxatives for constipated kids too?

As for single parents then the government should pay for that parent to stay at home to look after his/her child/ren until the child/ren has left school.

The only money available to government comes out of the taxpayers pocket. The government robbing every taxpayer just to make you feel good is utter foolishness. You should use your own money to pay for single parent child care if that makes you feel good, but keep the freaking governments hand out of my pocket.

IMHO when both parents work the child/ren are being neglected.

IMHO you should worry about your own children rather lobbying for government to take care of everyone elses children.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Tis true. Sending the government to raise your child or help raise your child is a no-no. Next thing you know, they'll be keeping the kids right after the birth process. We're all already numbers, why make it so that your child is a number with a number saying they do drugs, then becoming a number that can't get a decent job because he was locked up due to the fact that he/ she was 'neglected'. Lets be real, shall we?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
Parents on the whole are much more successful than government at meeting their responsibilities. Why would you want to degrade the art of parenting by getting more government involved?

Who said I was degrading the art of parenting??? If random drug testing gets children who are addicted help then what's your bloody problem???

Your having a child confers no knowledge to you about other parents. Washington DC is a den of inquity and you want these morally bankrupt politicians to pass laws setting the standards for parenting children. I strongly suggest that you think again for the sake of your children.

Excuse me I was a child that could NOT speak to my parents and I know there are other kids out there that cannot talk to their parents either. Where did I say the government should set standards for parenting???

This opinion doesn't surprise me. Perhaps you'd like the government to provide laxatives for constipated kids too?

If parents are struggling to met the needs of their kids why shouldn't help be available to them or would you rather see these kids end up on the streets???

The only money available to government comes out of the taxpayers pocket. The government robbing every taxpayer just to make you feel good is utter foolishness. You should use your own money to pay for single parent child care if that makes you feel good, but keep the freaking governments hand out of my pocket.

Where did I say this would make me feel good??? Man you have a problem!!!

IMHO you should worry about your own children rather lobbying for government to take care of everyone elses children.

Don't you dare to tell me to worry about my kids, you DO NOT know me or them.
I am NOT lobbying NO government for nothing. FYI my child has Autism and I get no help financially or emotionally for my child or for me so maybe you should mind your own bloody business and worry about yourself.

Your words are plain insulting to me and ALL parents out there that just want the best for ALL children.

[edit on 17-9-2006 by Koori]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What do I think? I think it should be against the law. If parents want to know whether their kids are taking drugs they should have them tested. Since when is it the school's (read government's) responsibility to monitor our kids' behavior?

?
Its called in loco parentis, when at school, the school administration has the responsibilities of the parent, they are the 'parents by virtue of location'.

I'm sick of the responsibilities that the schools are taking because the parents don't.

There are bad parents, therefore schools shouldn't be able to try to control bad behaviour?
Seems like the converse makes more sense, there are bad parents, therefore the schools need to take more control.

Parents should be teaching the kids about sex, religion, nutrition, etc. Not the schools.

But they're not. Its got to be done, so its going ot be either the parents, or the schools, since the parents aren't doing it, its up to the schools.

I can't believe how people turn over the care and raising of their children to the government!

What does testing for drugs have to do with raising the kids? THey want to make sure that student atheletes aren't using steroids or that drug-abusing miscreants aren't wandering around the halls.

The schools are also doing mental health screening... Wonder what they're looking for?

Mental diseases.

This does not bode well for a secure future.

Sensible and basic security measures don't bode well for security?

BH, I am completely unable to understand your position here, please explain. I agree, the parents should be doing this, it shouldn't even be necessary for the schools to do any of this. But the parents aren't doing it, and it needs to get done.

This program is so the kids get used to living in a world without personal rights

What right is being violated here? You don't have a right to do illegal drugs, and anyone that doesn't want to get tested doesn't need to go to that public school.
Also, are you saying that the kansas board of education is trying to install some sort of new world order where people have no rights, AND that their big plan is to make some delinquents piss in a cup?

[edit on 17-9-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
There are bad parents because the goverment pics up the slack. Dumb people would die normally, but the goverment keeps feeding them. Programs like these, promote heard weakness.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Not all parents are bad parents. It seems that posters here are putting parents in the same box.

When my child is old enough I will be talking to him about drugs etc.

The schools over here need parents permission to talk to kids about drugs, sex etc and I will be giving them my permission to do this because they may tell him something that I forgot or he may feel more comfortable asking them questions rather then his parents.

As for random drug testing if they bring that in over here I will not have a problem with that because it just might save a kids life. Most work places do this including the defence forces so it's becoming a normal way of life and what better way of kids getting used to it. Most of your schools in America have metal detectors but I don't see parents yelling and screaming about that....so what's the difference???

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
If the government or schools catches a student toking up behind the gym then I could understand some sortof disciplinary action.

To prevent a young person from having the private freedom to treat his or her body how they want, is a right the government shouldnt have. This is the duty of mom and dad.

If you cant teach your children the truth about drugs, maybe you shouldnt have a child. In the meantime I graduated college and I have a great job in Germany. Im coming back in three weeks and Im already starting to worry about my new job imposing a drug test on me.

Why should the government get children used to something that the majority of Citizens feel is wrong? Last I checked we are losing the war on drugs, why beat a dead horse? Why should my future son or daughter be limited on what they do because of what they smoke? Why cant the government trust its people enough to let them make up their minds on what they consume.

If someone isnt fit for a certain job, it should be apparent in his personality and behavior.
Children are smart enough to know what drugs are bad and which drugs are harmless. From everything Ive learned growing up, its the legal drugs that pose more of a threat to children (aderral, ritaline, cigarettes, alcohol).

What other countries do this? Arent we supposed to be free?

mod edit: from the Terms And Conditions Of Use,

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

If you cant teach your children the truth about drugs, maybe you shouldnt have a child.

Are you a parent??? If not you cannot make this judgement because being a parent is the most hardest job on the face of this earth.

Most parents want to teach their kids, worry about their kids and love their kids but some kids make this job near impossible with their head strong ways and rebellious nature.

[snip]my sister but she turned to hard drugs and prostitution to pay for her drugs, she has had so many abortions and her children that are alive were born drug addicts. Now if you think these babies had a choice to be addicts then think again.

Drug tests in schools could stop this from happening to other unborn babies and it could stop young girls and even boys turning to selling their bodies for an addiction they can't control.

The hardest thing I find to deal with are people who don't have kids and yet they think they have ALL the bloody answers but you know what childless people know JACK #

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Are you a parent??? If not you cannot make this judgement because being a parent is the most hardest job on the face of this earth.

My mother says the same thing as she washes dishes and cooks for my father who works 60 hours a week to support her 'job'. Maybe you just dont take the right angle at communicating with your kids and thats why its so difficult for you.

Most parents want to teach their kids, worry about their kids and love their kids but some kids make this job near impossible with their head strong ways and rebellious nature.

Once again, try a different angle.

[snip]my sister but she turned to hard drugs and prostitution to pay for her drugs, she has had so many abortions and her children that are alive were born drug addicts. Now if you think these babies had a choice to be addicts then think again.

So I should be punished for [snip] because people like your sister became addicted prostitutes? You should focus more on the nature of your sister instead of the nature of drugs. Just because she turned out to be a mess doesnt mean everyone else will.... its called free will.

Drug tests in schools could stop this from happening to other unborn babies and it could stop young girls and even boys turning to selling their bodies for an addiction they can't control.

Once again, your sister shouldnt set the example for what happens to children who experiment with drugs. Im not selling my body for drugs. I work for them and have plenty of extra money to spend on prostitutes (Win Win Situation)

The hardest thing I find to deal with are people who don't have kids and yet they think they have ALL the bloody answers but you know what childless people know JACK #

The hardest thing I find to deal with are people who have kids and think they should tell other people how to raise theirs. You have a child, congratulations. I dont, I have opinions. Deal with it.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by Mouth
Is a parent/guardian responsibility to take care of the children in their charge. What is next foster care for minors that test positive? because of parenthood irresponsibility?

So what do you advocate for, and what solutions you see . . . taking children from parents and put them on foster care? o, I forgot!!!!! what is foster care children are test positive!!!!!!

What next? what is the best idea you got. . . I got it now lets get all the children testing positive from the parents and foster care parents and because is no where to put them lets make detention camps and raised them in there.

What do you feel about that does it work for you.

I am confused here, are you commenting on your own words? if you look back, that quote was from you, not from me. So please, edit your post, cause it makes no sense. MY post starts with "See, ....."

Hey you may be right about that one, but hey I guess the government will be the best entity right now to raise our children, Right?

Let's get one thing straight. I did not say that the government is the best entity to raise children. That is not their job. That is the parent's job. Yet, many parents are unable to take respinsibility for their children. I am not saying all parents are like this, not by a long shot. My parents did a good job (at least I think so), and so do many other parents. but, you cannot discount the portion of parents that fail to do what is right: Raise their kids right.

Yes you may be right about that one too, you doing very good!!!!!!!!, so should we get all the children from divorced parents and let the government raise them? what you think.

Again, with the generalizations. Please read the above response.

So tell us please who should raise them The government?

again, read above the above. The government doesn't raise any kids. But you know what? I would rather a kid be taken away from a crack smoking mother and a robbing father that have the kid grow up in that kind of environment. I feel like you really don't have a clue as to what happens in the outside world.

I have seen some pretty bad stuff, especially volunteering my own time at a local safe home for challenged individuals. The government is trying to shut it down , where if these people were out on the street, they would be stealing, possibly raping, etc. but, that is a different topic, so let's stay on track.

What about that? I got it too, let the government gave the children to religious institutions so they can help raise the children also.

When did religion come into the conversation? My point here, is that kids are irresponsible enough to have unprotected sex as a teenager, resulting in teenage pregnancy. I wonder where alot of this irresponsibility comes from? I am gonna give you a hint, the word starts with the letter "P".

Well then you do that to your children if you are not confident enough as a parent and then let the government get into you home and into your privacy and dictate what you should do or not with your own children

Let the government get into my home? it is a drug test for steroids. I am not letting the government raise my kids. You are blowing this way out of proportion. and you know what, I, as a parent, would like to know if my kids are doing steroids, or any other drug for that matter. And some parents could actually use some guidance, let it be from the government or from another source, but they fail to seek it. It is sad, what happens to alot of kids in tis country.

I raised two and guess what I was one step ahead of them at all time.

Um, good for you, I guess?

I imagine that you have not children, I am correct?

I do not have kids yet, but, that doesn't change my outlook on parenting.

Will you allowe the government to dictate if you are fit to be a parent or not and then let them tell you if you should procreate or not?

think about that one.

Thought about it..... if I am not a fit parent, then yes, I would allow that. See, but I will be a fit parent, so that is a moot point.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Please keep this in mind when posting.

Terms And Conditions Of Use,

Thank you

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

This program is so the kids get used to living in a world without personal rights.

Agreed.

This is where the authoritarian strains of both left and right wings combine to keep us all under the boot. I don't approve of random drug testing for anyone except perhaps airline pilots, train engineers and the like.

Beyond that it's simly a ritual humiliation designed to show you who's in charge.
I wouldn't work anywhere that required me to take a drug test, and I've walked away from potential employment opportunities for just that reason, despite not being worried about passing.

An employer is well within their rights to fire someone for being intoxicated on the job. What someone does off the clock is none of their business.

A school doing so is simply intolerable.
Parnts may have the right to drug test their kids, schools certainly shouldn't.

[edit on 9/18/06 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Again, this is for steroids.

I mean, the general public is against the use of performance enhancing drugs within the world of sports, why does that not therefore include high school athletics? Go to the root of the problem, I say.

I mean, if you are not against kids doing it, then why are so many people against adults doing it, like barry bonds and giambi?

You can't have it both ways.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm against kids doing it, I'm also against mandatory testing.

Barry Bonds voluntarily signs a contract that includes consenting to drug testing.

Kids, on the other hand, have no choice but to go to school.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I'm against kids doing it, I'm also against mandatory testing.

Barry Bonds voluntarily signs a contract that includes consenting to drug testing.

Kids, on the other hand, have no choice but to go to school.

But they do have a choice when concerning playing sports in school.

Kids in athletics also sign contracts agreeing to druge abuse policies. These policies are only going to be enforced to the major sports, ie. football, baseball, basketball, soccer, and I think a couple more. Moreover, it is a random testing of only 5% of the state athletes. So, not only is it not mandatory to students, but only a small percentage will actually be tested.

I mean, all the sporty kids have to do is play by the rules they agreed to play by in the first place.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well if they're voluntarily agreeing to do it, that's one thing.

The conversation seemed to have turned to a general debate on random drug testing in schools, which I am 100% against.

[edit on 9/18/06 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Is there a communication issue here??

it is NOT random drug testing in schools. It is 5% random drug testing within the student athletes for steroids. there is a major difference.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It is NOT just for steroids...

It is instituting random drug screening for all middle and high school students participating in -- or even just attending -- any extracurricular activity. That includes sports, clubs, field trips, driver's education, even school plays.

Those who don't sign consent forms cannot attend games, go to school dances, join a club or so much as park their car on school property.

What you're reading is this...

The White House drug-policy office estimates 2,000 public and private districts conduct drug tests. The National School Boards Association has reported that 5 percent of public school districts test athletes and 2 percent test students involved in extracurricular activities.

which does say that 5 percent of districts is testing athletes.... however, the article I posted goes on to say that they're also random testing students in general.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by elevatedone]

[edit on 18-9-2006 by elevatedone]

df1

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koori
Who said I was degrading the art of parenting???

I did. Your willingness to abdicate parental rights to government is a degradation of parenting.

If random drug testing gets children who are addicted help then what's your bloody problem???

Government should not have the right to do this to children or adults. Perhaps you feel comfortable in a dog collar and leash, I do not. What you desire to vile and disgusting Imho.

Excuse me I was a child that could NOT speak to my parents and I know there are other kids out there that cannot talk to their parents either.

You wish to impose a solution to your personal problems on everybody.

Where did I say the government should set standards for parenting???

Your position implicitly gives government the right to set standards.

If parents are struggling to met the needs of their kids why shouldn't help be available to them or would you rather see these kids end up on the streets???

Deal with reality. This is a hypothetical strawman with no basis in fact.

Where did I say this would make me feel good??? Man you have a problem!!!

Since your rationalization makes no logical sense, it must at least make you feel good. Yes i do have a problem. Its people that support raping my rights as a US citizen and authorizing government to use my tax dollars to consummate the rape.

Don't you dare to tell me to worry about my kids, you DO NOT know me or them.

You want to impose the power of government on parents and kids that you don't know. Turn about is fair play.

my child has Autism...

Nice touch. When the logic of your argument fails, play the sympathy card. You may or may not have such a child and since ATS is anonymous we will never know, but none the less this has nothing to do with the government random drug testing of kids.

Your words are plain insulting to me...

Your position is equally insulting to me, but I fully support your right to express it. I also fully support my right and the rights of other to disagree.

ALL parents out there that just want the best for ALL children.

Here you go again. You do not know "all parents" and "all children". Random drug testing is best for neither, but that doesn't stop you from claiming that you know what is best for ALL.

You remind me of the advice an old lawyers that gave to a young colleague: When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When neither are on your side, speak angrily and pound your fist on the table.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by df1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join