It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we help cryptomundo with their mystery animal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
www.cryptomundo.com...

I'm leaning toward dog although there is a slight chance it is a deer. I don't see a tail but a deer in this position would have its tail wrapped down around its backside. Also, the hind leg seems to go into a paw but a hoof may be just out of sight.

With my years of experience of hunting whitetails my brain is telling me something is just not right for a deer ID.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yeah I've seen plenty of deer. The hind legs look more like a feline. Deer have much more delicate lower legs and stand much taller. Plus the animal has much more flexible shoulders than any deer I've seen. Definantly has the stance of a predator. The tail could just be eclipsed by the hind quarters. Yeah could be a small dog also, looks like a mut.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Also, the proprotions may be misleading. The animal could be a dog. The branch in the forground could be deceptive-it makes it's head look further from the torso than it could actually be. The hind haunches look like my lab when she tries to go down the stairs or lean over the swimming pool to play with something-someone by the pool edge. What some people are seeing as an stretched out right fore-leg could just be the bush's trunk or other detrius. If it's a dog than I say the fore-legs are landing much closer to the base of the log than is noticed. If the "trunk" in the forground is the right fore-leg than it's definantly a cat. IMO

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
to me it looks like a deer

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
My reaction was "dog" and more specificially a Great Dane or Boxer. The vegetation distorts things.

The front legs have the "knees" in the wrong place for a herbivore. The hind leg proportions are definately that of a domestic dog, with the long distance from the fibia to the metacarpals and the very short metacarpals. The limbs are too slender to be a feline. The body color and shape is right for a Dane or Boxer, and the short coat hairs also indicate domestic dog. It might be a mutt, but the musculature looks more like Dane or Boxer.

Also... the camera must have taken other photos of that area. What do they look like? That'd tell you where the bushes were.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yeah the more I look at it the more it seems like a dog. I can't dismiss the way it's stepping down off the log-its moving just like a dog would. The rear legs do look more dog like than a feline.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
On the link page others have commented that it's a deer and that they "know" what a deer looks like, and that they would hate to go hunting with anyone who thought it wasn't. Sorry guys but deer just don't look like that, and I'd hate to be driving next to anyone on the road with eyes that shotty. Is that a driveway or a building? Does that say on or off ramp?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My very first rection was Tasmanian Tiger. But after I looked at it better I began to doubt. Right now I think I'd just go for crappy dog picture.
Did anyone else think it was a Tasmanian Tiger? Do we know anything about where this picture was made? Cause then we can tell a lot more about it.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
My reaction was "dog" and more specificially a Great Dane or Boxer. The vegetation distorts things.

The front legs have the "knees" in the wrong place for a herbivore. The hind leg proportions are definately that of a domestic dog, with the long distance from the fibia to the metacarpals and the very short metacarpals. The limbs are too slender to be a feline. The body color and shape is right for a Dane or Boxer, and the short coat hairs also indicate domestic dog. It might be a mutt, but the musculature looks more like Dane or Boxer.

Also... the camera must have taken other photos of that area. What do they look like? That'd tell you where the bushes were.

I've had boxers my whole life, even the poorly bred ones have a much more square and short muzzle

great dane is a good guess, but the eyes are distinctly set on the outside of the skull, which indicates a prey animal.

there is no tail visible
there are no antlers visible

the vegatation obscures the ears, which would make it soooo easy to ID

with these factors, I have to guess something in the mule doe deer category

[edit on 23-9-2006 by syrinx high priest]

[edit on 23-9-2006 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Deer.

That image 'enhancement' is absolutely RIDICULOUS. hahaha. Conjectured and distorded beyond sense. For a start, that 'curly' tail is simply not there. Then the author just used a thick white line so he could play loose with the original image and smooth it into the image of the animal he wanted to see.

The worst bit is that you can actually see the head turned to the side, but the author just draws around it and pretends it's not there.

[edit on 23-9-2006 by City_sea]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoSuchAgency
My very first rection was Tasmanian Tiger. But after I looked at it better I began to doubt. Right now I think I'd just go for crappy dog picture.
Did anyone else think it was a Tasmanian Tiger? Do we know anything about where this picture was made? Cause then we can tell a lot more about it.

That was actually my very first thought.
I am not seeing deer there, no matter how they cropped the picture. I see canid hindquarters, a muscular breed. Dane some one said as a good guess. I an thinking something with a heavier bone structure. Bull mastiff type cross perhaps.
Those hind quarters are just too heavy for deer, especially the lower part of the leg. Deer have leetle spindy legs, and a log like that, a deer would have likely jumped over, instead of walking over.
Leetle spindly legs break through rotting wood, and GET broke, you know. Instict says protect the legs, for without the legs you die.
The whole body movement percetion is of something smooth and perditor like, their is too much fluidity in the front end for a deer... Besides the stepping down of the front end for a deer looks VERY wrong.
Honestly, My next thought are saying, no, not a Tazzy Tiger was maybe a Lynx. I THINK I see markings against the coat, and there is something very cat like, but my gut and 20 years of breeding and showinf dogs tell me canid. I keep going to that back end.. And there ARE dogs that are fawn bodied, with faint darker brown brindle markings. Reverse brindles they call them.
Found often in boxers, danes, and possible bull mastiff, but I am not sure. I know they come in black brindle, but I don'tknow about reverse brindle, or fawn brindle as it is also called.
However taking another look at the picture, and second guessing myself, the FRONT end looks VERY cat like. The high set elbow, and the even proprtions all the way through. Dogs tend to be a little thicker in the upper portion of their front legs. Big cats are thick and even all the way through.
I don't know, I just don't think it is a deer.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's a dog's body with a 2-3 year old buck's head PhotoShopped on!

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The animal pictured is a yellow labrador retriever.

new topics

top topics

join