It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One-third believe angry God caused tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
In an interesting new report, it shows just how religious the U.S is..

NINE in 10 Americans believe in God - but how they vote or see the US war in Iraq depends on the different views they have of God's personality. The most detailed survey of religion in the US found Americans hold four different images of God - authoritarian, benevolent, critical or distant - and these views are more powerful indicators of their political, social and moral attitudes than traditional categories such as Protestant, Catholic or Evangelical.

Source

Fascinating seeing how people religous beliefs effect their political leanings..

"You learn more about people's moral and political behaviour if you know their image of God than from almost any other measure," said Christopher Bader, one of the researchers.

Do you feel your religous beliefs (or lack thereof) sway your political behaviour?

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I think to a certain degree, although I don't let it be the deciding factor in which party I would vote for. (assuming I did vote, which I do not)

In the case of my own religion (I am a Mormon) I know that a lot of Mormons voted for Bush based on the fact that he is against gay marriage, and Kerry supported it. I've seen the same thing here in Canada, although to a lesser degree. Nearly every Mormon I know supports the Conservative parties, as an example. I suspect if we were to look at other religions closely, we would find most religions were predominated by one type of political thinking.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
1/3 believe angry God caused tsunami?? I'm willing to bet that 1/3 are angry AT God for not stopping it when He could have. As a parent, if I saw my daughter in peril of drowning I'd jump in and save her.

I saw pictures of bodies that washed up on shore after the tsunami. Young children who drowned in muddy sand. Sand filling their eyes, noses, ears and mouth. Children who died in pain and terror; being swept away from their parents. God, their Father in Heaven, didn't save them.

I always thought I had a strong faith ... until I saw the pictures and started thinking. I know God is there ... but I now question the 'father in heaven' part. Which of course makes me question everything else .... I'm having a crisis of faith and it's from seeing those pictures and thinking about it.

Oh sure, I've heard it all ... gotta' trust God ... there's a bigger picture that we can't see ... He (God) has His reasons ... God's ways are not our ways .... He has a reason for this ... etc. etc. It's just hard to see Him as a loving Heavenly Father when I see those pictures and think of what those children went through.

DO MY BELIEFS EFFECT MY VOTING?
Yes. Absolutely. But so does my patriotism. So do my life experiences. It all does. There is a healthy balance (at least I think I have a healthy balance).

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It's interesting that Baylor University did this study, as it is the Southern Baptist university.

The benevolent God, popular in the US midwest among mainstream Protestants, Catholics and Jews, is one that sets absolute standards for humans, but is also forgiving - engaged but not so angry. Caring for the sick is high on the list of priorities for these 23 per cent of believers.

www.news.com.au...

This would be closest to my God, but I don't fit into any of those categories.

This would be closer yet:

The Universal Father

[edit on 2006/9/14 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join