It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perfect pistol for me?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If your set on either the HK or the XD, I think your best bet will be to go find a range that has them available for rent. I know that at least where I live, most ranges rent XDs, while only a few rent USPs, so call around and find out before you go.

I have shot the XD .40 and didn't much care for it, however I have friends who own and enjoy the XD .45.

The main reason I didn't like the XD was it's trigger safety, but some people don't mind it. It's always a good idea to try before you buy, especially with pistols that cost several hundred dollars.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
USPs are really nice, but I would do like LeftBehind suggested and try to find a range that rents guns and try H&K, the XD if that appeals to you and also the offerings from Sig. IMO I would go Sig or H&K. If you really want a .45 and don't intend on carrying it concealed I would look for a used H&K MK23

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Russia has replaced the Makarov with many great pistols such as the MP 44* series or outstanding pistols. They are great. Maybe I'd get one. Problem is I don't know where to get Russia's newest pistols.

21 yrs old to own a handgun? Maybe where you live. Last time I checked you can own a gun at 18. I will be 18 soon.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Besides, if I REALLY wanted to get a firearm while not of legal age, I could've gotten it from the "streets" very easily. But I don't need to do that. Besides, I will be 18 soon.

Oh, by the way, is it illegal to get a weapon "from the streets" even if you are of legal age to purchase a firearm and meet all the "firearm ownership requirements"? Not like I'm gonna do that, I'm just wondering.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You can own a rifle at 18 but in Cali you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

www.bradycampaign.org...

Handguns and rifles are 2 different types of firearms and have different laws pertaining to each one. In my state you can purchase a rifle at age 18 and it can be purchased without a buying permit. However for handguns you must be 21 and get a purchase permit. State Laws very however California is the strictest state on firearm sales / ownership.

Oh, by the way, is it illegal to get a weapon "from the streets" even if you are of legal age to purchase a firearm and meet all the "firearm ownership requirements"?

There are laws for ownership as well as purchasing.

Learn the laws first and foremost before buying or trading for any firearm!!!

[edit on 16-9-2006 by Heckman]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
UVENILE POSSESSION
Are minors restricted from possessing guns? Partial

California - State law restricts juveniles under 18 from possessing handguns without parental permission or authorized supervision. But there are no direct restrictions on juveniles possessing rifles or shotguns without parental permission or supervision. See also: Juvenile Sale.

Return to the Menu

Look above. That looks like 18 to me. And its from the very thread you gave me.

Plus, I know many 18 yr olds who own guns and have personally seen 18/19 yr olds purchase a handgun at a gunshop.

I will however check on this, but the worst case scenerio is me buying it with supervision. It won't be any worse then that. A handgun is as good as mine.

I will talk to a sheriff and other people and I will find out all the requirements on buying a handgun, though I already know most of em.

So for now, lets talk about which gun is best for me...................

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As I already said. You have to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun. Look under JUVENILE SALE and LICENSE OR PERMIT TO PURCHASE.

www.bradycampaign.org...

State law restricts selling or giving handguns to juveniles under 21,

You have to have a purchase permit by law to buy a handgun. You must be 21 to get the purchase permit. You can be in possession of a legal handgun. However it will not be yours legally. That means you will not own it. It is only legal for you to borrow a handgun with parental permission .

In California you also must pass a safety coarse to get the handgun purchase permit. Look under LICENSE OR PERMIT TO PURCHASE ....

If your parents buy a handgun and loan it to you go take a training coarse !!! The skills learned are very important. Here are some coarses in Cali.

www.ftatv.com...

www.tftt.com...

www.internationaltactical.com...

www.awt-co.com...

[edit on 17-9-2006 by Heckman]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
With all the laws California is putting up, I glad to see that some californians are still supportive of firearms.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Alot of Californians are. But me, I'm not American, I'm a Russian temporarly living in California. I think I'm gonna get the HK USP .45. It seems like a really nice pistol. Yeah, I think I've chosen my pistol.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
, I'm not American, I'm a Russian temporarly living in California.

You have to be a US citizen to buy Firearms legally.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yeah, about the russian living in America thing. Why are you so intent on moving back to russia and joining the army. It can't be a smart move financially. You could make a lot more money joining the US army if you become a citizen. What's wrong with the USA?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by arius
Yeah, about the russian living in America thing. Why are you so intent on moving back to russia and joining the army. It can't be a smart move financially. You could make a lot more money joining the US army if you become a citizen. What's wrong with the USA?

Nothing's wrong with USA. USA is a good country. But its not MY country. I am a stranger here. This is not my home. This is not the country I love. This is not the country I want to spend most of my life in.

BTW, you don't join the army for money-your life isn't worth any amount of money-you join for your country. Sacrificing your life for money is bs, but for your country, its not.

Russian military is what I've always wanted. It is the greatest.

BTW, I read the "purchase handgun" registration paper and nowhere does it say you have to be a US citizen to purchase a gun. That's bs. I bet alot of US is noncitizens. Furthermore, I bet half of those noncitizens own guns. Furthermore alot of my friends own guns, and only a few are citizens. Furthermore, I have a greencard. That is total bs. I don't see why you have to be a citizen just to freaking own a gun. :shk:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I don't have anything against russians. We just don't want a bunch of illegal aliens carrying guns.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
lol
I am legal. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a job, would I? I don't think illegals can legally own guns, but hell, they can't own anything legally, they can't even be legally there, that's why they are called "illegals".

But I am legal, so I have the right to own a firearm. In Russia, maybe I'll start my long awaited weapons collection!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Ca. You must be 21 in Ca to legally purchase a
handgun. You must be a legal resident of the state and there is something about being a "foreign national". Under certain conditions you can posess a handgun if you are
between 18 and 21. There were provisions for a person receiving a handgun as a gift
as long as they were over 18, these may have changed, and in any event the person giving the gift remains the responsible party.

Ca laws have always been a bit confusing. there is a big difference in Ca between
"owning" and "Possesing" different things. and there are many "exceptions" involved also.

For instance when I was a kid ( it may have changed since diane fienstine) You could
own a switchblade, that is have it in your residence as part of a collection. But you could not posses one, that is carry one on your person or in your vehicle.

another example is double edged blades. most places in Ca. possesion of a double edged blade of any length can be a felony. Most places make exceptions for historical reenactment groups,living history events etc. LA county ordinances state
that possesion of any blade over 3" (as i recall and its been 20+ yrs) is a Class A
misdemeanor and can be a felony.

Ca. requires that when transporting a firearm( except in certain hunting situations)
the firearm and its ammunition be in seperate compartments of the vehicle. But it also requires that the firearm itself be in openview.

So if you live in Ca you would do well to check local laws at least weekly to be safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join