It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Texas Gov. Ann Richards Dead: Age 73

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The feisty former Governor of Texas, Ann Richards, has died after a battle with cancer. Richards served one term as Governor, losing to GW Bush in her second bid for the office.

Former Gov. Ann Richards, the witty and flamboyant Democrat who went from homemaker to national political celebrity, died Wednesday night after a battle with cancer, a family spokeswoman said. She was 73.

She died at home surrounded by her family, the spokeswoman said. Richards was found to have esophageal cancer in March and underwent chemotherapy treatments.

The silver-haired, silver-tongued Richards said she entered politics to help others — especially women and minorities who were often ignored by Texas’ male-dominated establishment.

msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 2006/9/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I always liked her, she was tough and witty but with a great deal of charm.

She was a regular on Larry King Live too. I recall watching her several times. It was only a few days ago I was reading her bio on wikipedia.

Rest in peace Ann!

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Regardless of your politics, it is hard to argue that she wasn't one classy lady.

RIP, Ann.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
She was a nice lady. Once long ago i did some landscape work for a customer that she was visiting. I was making the state flag with colored stones and she came out and complimented me on my work. This was on the west end of Galveston. I think it was sometime around 92 or 93. I was very amused because she had no problem shaking my hand even though it was covered in dust and dirt. i will never forget that.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I thought I'd drop in this link.

It's her keynote address to the 1988 Democratic National Convention. It's really worth a read:

gos.sbc.edu...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My favorite line from her speech is,
"Poor George. He can't help it - he was born with a silver foot in his mouth. " She was referring to George Sr. but, that was just so right on the target.

May she rest in peace.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am sorry to hear that....She was always a bit to loud and boisterous for my taste, but I'm sure she was a nice lady. God bless her.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I was sad to hear this.
I really liked her.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
People will always remember "that quote"!

I will always remember how George W. Bush got revenge for it!

She talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk!

If she had never made "that quote", most people would not even know who she was.

Nothing against her personally, but she was just another "useful idiot"!

RIP

new topics

top topics

join