It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lear's Moon Pictures on ATS

page: 230
<< 227  228  229    231  232  233 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
reply to post by internos

Are you talking about the pics taken by Luna 13? The Lunokhod was a later development.

AFAIK many the Soviet lunar lunar probes had less than ideal landings, and were partially or completely destroyed and/or impaired. Parts could have fallen off, I just don't know. Designs of these probes varied as well.

Yes, for this reason i wrote:

If i'm correct, the first vehicle with wheel sent to the moon by soviets has been the Lunokhod 1 moon rover, some years later.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I will, but let me say that I found a different photo of the Lunokhod, and in this photo there is something that I think it's an antenna, that looks like that object on the Moon surface.

[edit on 11/11/2007 by ArMaP]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Ah, OK. Thanks. I actually didn't mean to say that it looked like a wheel (despite being round).

Actually, I found an interesting discussion of the Luna-13 landing technology and a mentions that there was debris generated during the touch down:

www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

that's what I thought...

[edit on 11-11-2007 by buddhasystem]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

ArMap, this find looks really plausible IMHO. Despite the rovers weren't still in use, we can't state the same for the antenna by himselfs. I'll take a look. Tank you!!!

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Ah, OK. Thanks. I actually didn't mean to say that it looked like a wheel (despite being round).

Frankly, i have hard time in order to imagine what it could be. Of course, it could be a natural boulder, but its shape is really odd, imho... I'm just curious...

Edit to add: now the server seems to be down, i'll try again later: thank you for this link

www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

[edit on 11/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Well it would be plausible if we could find a picture of Luna 13 with that type of antenna but all the pictures I have seen so far have not.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
More Russian lunar photos with context
Nice collection

Includes some video stills of the Lunokhod lander

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMax

Thanks space but I posted mentalandscapes a few posts back it's where I got the better shots of the object from.

It is the best source for Russian Luner images on the web so far could do with a few more like that.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Actually if you look at the full image from Luna 13 you can see it got pretty beaten up, if you look at the shadow cast on the surface from the antenna you can see instead of being perfectly straight they are bent at right angles.

And they call that a successful soft landing, still we know what the other landings are like they tend to end up with a lot of smaller bits.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Thanks space but I posted mentalandscapes a few posts back it's where I got the better shots of the object from.

Oops, sorry for the dupe.
Heres a passage from D. Harts' "Encyclopedia of Soviet Spacecraft" (87) on the landing of Luna 9-

Decent began with orientation maneuvers 8300 k above the lunar surface. The strap-on modules were cast off less than a minute prior to landing (at about 75k altitude), and a five-meter ground probe contact probe was deployed. When the probe touched the lunar surface, the landing engine was cut off and the payload (dubbed an Automatic Lunar Station by the Soviets) was lofted from atop the vehicle so as to land separately a short distance away.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I will, but let me say that I found a different photo of the Lunokhod, and in this photo there is something that I think it's an antenna, that looks like that object on the Moon surface.

Yup I would agree looks like my picture too...

Only thing I have a problem with is the report posted with the image...

KGB Dwarf Phantom cosmonaut. . Died October 1971.

Personal: Male. Reportedly died on a suicide mission to the lunar surface; drove the Lunokhod lunar rover.

Astronaut Career

Astronaut Group: Phantom Cosmonaut.

The feat of remotely driving the unmanned Lunokhod lunar rover around the lunar surface must have seemed a bit beyond Soviet technology for some Muscovites. So an urban legend was put about that the diminutive Lunokhod was actually driven by a midget KGB agent on a one-way suicide mission to the lunar surface. How sufficient provisions were packed into the tiny rover during its eleven month mission was not explained...

www.astronautix.com...

[edit on 12-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The only problem that we have now, is that Lunik 13 mission took place on December 1966, and i still haven't found that antenna in its equipement...
it seems that that device has been introduced with the rover mission, therefore, AFTER the photo was taken

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure if these pictures help but I haven't seen them posted.

Lunokhod

Lunokhod:side view
The second photo shows some depth to the antenna and looks similar to the b&w pictures posted earlier.
I'm no expert but it possibly appears that the antenna was broken off in a couple of sections.It's hard to judge the scale of the b&w photos so I could be way off base.

Edited to add: Source

It appears this is not the Luna 13,but the Luna 17.Still looking.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by citizen truth]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
AFTER the photo was taken

Time Warp....

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Glowing on the moon:

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
John I just wanted to share these pictures with you!

us.f608.mail.yahoo.com... 0&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox

Edit: Aw crud , Ill see if I can get them on here some other way... Sorry, but it is soo cool.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by antar]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion437
Glowing on the moon:

NASA says....

'The blue 'fog' is do to a dust smudge which first shows up on 6813."

For image 6922...

NASA says...

"Note the spider-web ground screen on the legs. See also AS12-46-6820. Note that the blue coloration at the top right is undoubtedly an artifact."

If its a 'dust smudge' why does it appear different in each image? would it not be the same smudge each time? and why does it look like a halo?

ARTIFACT????

Nice find Orion

But use this site instead of LPI low res ...

www.hq.nasa.gov...

NASA says...

"Pete took this partial pan from the southeast rim of Middle Crescent just before he and Al headed back for the LM. The frames are AS12-46- 6836 to 6844. Note the strong colors at the center of the righthand frames. Examination of successive frames indicate that this related to the camera lens, very likely a dust smudge. Kipp Teague notes "The lens aberration begins at as12-46-6813. It's a blue glow around the astronaut in 6818, again in 6826, a discoloration in other frames, affecting clarity in most, and it's not gone again until 6853 (back in the LM). Whatever the phenomenon is, it has a varying impact on color based on the brightness of the central object in the image. On bright subjects, the aberration adds a blue cast, and on darker subjects, the aberration adds a reddish cast."

So ummm they really DON"T KNOW what caused it

[edit on 12-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

LOL, WOW

That glow is clearly just around the astronaut and nothing else and its very apparent. I think its pretty obvious that there is something else going on there other than a smudge. Its actually quite funny.

[edit on 11/12/07 by housegroove23]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
oh come on!

did you people notice that the astronauts have a white suit, that is also most likely very reflective?

so, combine the two and you get the halo thing which is just overexposed film caused by the sun reflecting off of the astronaut.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nightsider2007

Good point. Overeposure and halo are well known effects in film-based photography.

Linkety link:

www.shutterbug.net...

Snipety snip:

When subject to gross overexposure the metallic grains upon development will exhibit a growth beyond their intended borders, yielding a halo effect around intense highlights and a “blocking up” that can cause image information to go awry.

And more info if you do more research ...

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
So ummm they really DON"T KNOW what caused it

Of course they do. That is Orgone emission, after the late and legendary Dr. Wilhelm Reich. Therefore the blueness.
From what I understood, it only appeared during their radio transmissions.

You don't think, Aristarchus....

Naw! Can't be!

top topics

<< 227  228  229    231  232  233 >>

join