It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lear's Moon Pictures on ATS

page: 151
<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
As its a large download, I will try and get it overnight or tomorrow...And then I have to set it up

So....

Given I have other stuff to do, gimme a couple days and I should have ISIS installed and we can take a look at the .cub files

YAY! Hey fellow disinfo agent! The installation seems straight forward, but I belive the image translation looks to be a bit esoteric, lots of command line stuff, hopefully you arwe good with that kinda stuff.

BTW, I am using GIMP now, and also downloaded another image nav.editor, called PAINT.NET". I know, weird name, but its really nice, like a pared down Photoshop, lightweight etc...

Her's a link if anyones interested, I as usinf MSPAINT for awhile (ouch)

www.getpaint.net...

[edit on 27-5-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Um, does anyone else see what I see in this pic?! This is a keeper! The dang thing is slanted, it's almost vertical.

P.S. You need IDL too, I think, for ISIS to run : /

[edit on 27-5-2007 by undo]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
zorgon,

i suggest showing him the images of aristarchus where there's pretty much nothing. no glow. no hexagonal, gem-shaped arches. just a crater. that one makes me laugh everytime i see it.
of course, it isn't just a crater. there are a ton of anomalies inside it, perhaps one of the reasons we haven't seen indepth photographic reviews of it when it isn't "glowing" (considering how much of an enigma it was, even to the astronauts and astronomers).

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Cygnific
It looks alot like an excavator, or some watermill wheel.

Nice pic of the water wheel. The reason I labelled it "derilict" is that it simply looks broken and is lying askew behind the grades area. We DO have three other "bucket excavators" in that copernicus picture..

Yes indeed, and if it is not one of these, it still is an anomalie which doesn't seem to fit in the area at all. If my calculations are right it is about 30meter/98.5feet heigh. Any link to the three others perhaps?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Originally posted by greatlakes

YAY! Hey fellow disinfo agent!

It would more likely be a "Good cop, Bad cop" relationship than fellow disinfo agent. One claims to believe there are artifacts, the other, the sceptic is always spouting off about science. Oh, and by the way, for claiming, "I'm not an expert", you sure seem to know a lot of stuff.

Nice little show, guys. Ever consider SNL?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Perhaps I'm assuming that this is what YOU ALLUDE TO because of YOUR following posts...

yaddda
yaddda
yaddda

Let's not mix greys with reptilians or moon men with men from mars greatlakes.

The inhabitants on Mars are identical to the inhabitants on Venus and identical to, at least, part of the population on the moon. All of whom are identical to earth folks but considerably more socially and scientifically advanced.

The greys certainly seem to have extensive laboratory facilites inside the moon. The moon is not 'hollow' any more than earth is but they both have extensive and enormous underground facilities.

And of course us earth people certainly have a presence there on the moon.

After all, three of us own a considerable portion of the mineral rights on the moon. I'm not sure who brokered THAT deal but I assume somebody had to.

So that puts us, the moon men and the greys up there. I wonder if it gets crowded?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Nice post ↑ undo, good finds of some nice Aristarchus Crater (Ari.C). The 1st image is from an amateur astronomer that has some great pics, some really detailed and w/sharp resolution.

Ari.C clearly DOES change appearance often and is the source of many LUNAR TRANSIENT PHENOMENA (LTP) over the years, decades and even centuries!

Here are reports of sightings (almost like UFO sightings, in fact the link is FROM MUFOR, "Malta UFO Research" interestingly enough) going back centuries, an interesting read ► www.mufor.org...

Some sightings occurring on Ari.C:

1956, Violet glare whole length of E wall and around E wall bright spot; violet tint N and NE of crater

1940, Distinguished crater in dark hemisphere as a bright spot

1821, Luminous appearance on dark side; 6th to 7th mag, 3' to 4' diameter

1789, Bright points seen during observation of star occultation

The different appearance of Ari.C and many spots on the moon can be caused by many reasons, some of the most common sense ones are:
∟Lunar Phase Differences
∟Sun Angle and Earth Angle of Incidence
∟Viewing Angle of Incidence
∟Location of Observer (if from Earth, images may differ from those taken ON the moon and from those taken in orbit about the moon)
∟Camera Settings
∟Type of Camera
∟Filters Used
∟Location on Earth, Environmental Differences from Photo to Photo
∟Angle of the Feature in Relation to the Observer Effects
∟Solar Abnormalities (Solar Flares etc..)
∟Many Many More.

So yes Ari.C is definitely one odd crater, but some of the above may help explain some of the appear oddities. As far as a cover-up, well we now have images taken by amateur astronomers, and unless these people are all "in on it"...That's highly highly doubtful!

Let's look at LTP's a little bit, it's gonna take more than this one post to talk about them that's for sure, but anyway...

I'll make this statement 1st: "Most LTP activity occurs along the edges of the maria, near volcanic features, like domes, sinuous rilles, and craters with dark halos or floors."

This statement is well supported. See the following (all graphs permissible and © 2004 by David O. Darling, Director L.T.P. Research)

www.ltpresearch.org...

The following data is from a study of more than 2000 LTP events throughout the course of solid tangible LTP event record keeping, all based LTP around the area of ARISTARCHUS CRATER, presented in some excellent graphs. These graphs will clearly show that the TLP events occur according to LUNAR PHASE, LUNAR AGE, SEASONAL EARTH CHANGES and other natural cyclical changes.

One thing to note is that FULL MOONS OCCUR in the MOONS AGE on the 15th or 16th DAYS OF THE LUNAR AGE, or PHASE. It's important when looking at these graphs....

Age of the moon meaning phase of the moon roughly. vs. Number of events. Seems to be a correlation between the age of the moon and the observed LTP's.

Shows the specific subset of LTP, "brightening type of LTP"

And yet another type of LTP, Bluish

The lunar transient phenomena called violet or bluish as it will be referred to in this web site dominates the lunation on two specific periods. The first is on day twelve and second on day sixteen, with the Full Moon taking place on the day fifteen.

The reddish type more rare than the blue type, about half as much.

The data indicates that the reddish events are reported at the time of lunar sunrise on this crater and a second jump on the day after Full Moon..

This Red LTP type seems to occur most with a FULL MOON time of lunar phase.

The gaseous type of LTP...

The gaseous events is a special classification. This phenomena can be classified as a red or darkening event but if it behaves like a gaseous medium then both these classifications are given. Again the most active day takes place one day after Full Moon.

So it seems most activity occurs around a full moon, again correlating well with LTP's are associated with LUNAR PHASE (full moons). Another FULL MOON CORRELATION.

The full LTP types graphed against each other...

Vs. Time of the year, observations made according to differing time.

When looking at the lunar transient phenomena reports by months of the year, we find a continued increase until May then a drop. The month of July is spike may be caused by the landing on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

So it seems fairly regular occurrences of these LTP, according to natural cyclical events.

With regards to EARTHSHINE, or when the areas on the moon are not exposed to sunlight directly, but only by the light reflected from Earth (from the sun):

This graph shows the distribution of the L.T.P. classification called brightening. As you can see this phenomena is mainly reported as an Earthshine event. The number of events reported on the graph for the fourteenth day are considerably less.

So it seems that during ONLY EARTHSHINE, LTP events are still seen in the region of Ari.C. So what the astronauts may have seen are these LTP events regardless of lunar exposure to Earthshine or direct sunshine.

Also more information and possible causes of TLP's (and zorgon you'll like this one)...:p

Some LTP phenomena may be caused by sunlight interacting with the lunar soil. On October 30, 1963, James Greenacre and Edward Barr observed red spots sparkling on the southwest wall of the crater Aristarchus, the east wall of Schroter's Valley, and a hill between them (S&T: December, 1963, page 316). The phenomena was observed visually by others and recorded spectroscopically as well. At the same lunar phase a month later, Greenacre and Barr saw a similar event. Since sunrise on these features occurs when the Moon is about 11 days old, Greenacre thought that the low lunar Sun was somehow responsible. Indeed, thermoluminesence mat be the cause. Gases in the lunar soil, frozen during the night, could heat up and escape near sunrise.

Could high-energy solar particles impacting the Moon also trigger LTP activity? Shortly after a large flare erupted on the Sun in 1963, Zdenek Kopal and Thomas Rackham at Pic du Midi Observatory in southern France photographed a local brightening around the craters Copernicus, Kepler, and Aristarchus. Kopal proposed that energetic particles from the flare caused lunar rocks to fluorescence. Such activity might be expected especially at full phase when the Moon passes through the Earth's magnetosphere, where solar wind particles become trapped.

►Makes sense to me. Energetic particles interact with either gases escaping the lunar interior (the moon is not completely dead in my view) and/or interact with the lunar geology to enable fluorescence. Also particularly TELLING is the above quote agrees with the GRAPH data presented, that LTP's correlate to higher occurrences DURING FULL MOON PHASE. Again here "...Such activity might be expected especially at full phase when the Moon passes through the Earth's magnetosphere, where solar wind particles become trapped."

►Sound like a crazy cause for these crazy LTP's. Nah. See below-Ran outa room again! ▼

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
LTP's ....continued

So is solar energetic particles striking the moon causing flouresence in the rocks, and glow of the possible gases that escape the moons interior, and a sort of 'glow' a CRAZY theory?? Nah, what happens when these solar energetic particles reach the Earth? It's known as the Aurora. Borealis in the north, and Australis in the South.

Auroras are now known to be caused by the collision of charged particles (e.g. electrons), found in the magnetosphere, with atoms in the Earth's upper atmosphere (at altitudes above 80 km). These charged particles are typically energized to levels between 1 and 15 keV and, as they collide with atoms of gases in the atmosphere, the atoms become energized. Shortly afterwards, the atoms emit their gained energy as light (see Fluorescence).

I have already conceded that the moon may have a scant atmosphere in one of my posts, and it may well have one, albeit VERY trace, but perhaps enough to cause some of these transient effects at peak times, times of the moon phase occurring around a full moon, etc.

The above information on TLP also agrees with my other posts concerning the make-up of the Crater and the material contained in and around the crater impact zone. Remember it was composed primarily of Anorthosite, which is 90-100% Feldspar, which fluoresces is iridescent and generally are some weird arse rocks

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Nice article greatlakes, but the TLP's only show data from somebody who happend to look at Aristarchus crater at the time. It is not data from 24/7/365 days a year. Maybe it lights up far more or less then the tables show but we can't know that. I'm not saying this article is wrong, but i won't say it is right either

Edit: Typo

[edit on 27/5/2007 by Cygnific]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ok, so I'll probably come back to talking about LTP's in some other posts (lengthy I'm sure ☺) but now onto funnerer stuff.

...like...How in the world do we arrive at a HEXAGONAL IMPACT CRATER!? Surely it's caused by either:

►Humans up there on the moon (not denying this, just presenting one possible cause of hexagonal craters);

►Intelligent Aliens Engineering;

►Collaboration between alien and humans to build some sort of hexagonal device in the middle of Ari.C;

Or is there a simpler explanation?

From: PRELIMINARY STUDY OF POLYGONAL IMPACT CRATERS IN ARGYRE REGION, MARS. T. Öh-man1,2, M. Aittola2, V.-P. Kostama2, M. Hyvärinen2 and J. Raitala2. 1Department of Geosciences, Division of Ge-ology, P.O. Box 3000, FI-90014 University of Oulu, Finland, ; 2Department of Physical Sciences, Division of Astronomy, P.O. Box 3000, FI-90014 University of Oulu, Finland. (you can get a copy too online free from LPI ABSTRACT long with many more papers)...

Introduction: Impact craters having a clearly polygonal plan view are common throughout the Solar System. Simple polygonal craters are formed in the excavation stage, when the excavation flow utilizes fractures in the target, leading to more enhanced excavation along the fractures [4].

Thus, the fracture strikes are usually at an angle (often, but not always ~45, see [1]) to the straight segments of the crater wall. The Barringer (Meteor) crater is a good example [5].

Complex polygonal craters, however, are thought to have the straight rim segments parallel to fractures, because the walls slump along them in the modification stage [2,3,4,1]. Complex polygonal craters often tend to be hexagonal [1,2], like the Söderfjärden crater [6].

For a more thorough review on polygonal craters, see [1] and references therein.

((CORRECTION: For some reason I was stating that Ari.C was octagonal (in prev posts), but its clearly HEXAGONAL as I could only count clearly 6 distint facets or sides in any of the images available))

So anyway
continuing, this one is from:

VENUSIAN POLYGONAL IMPACT CRATERS. T. Öhman1,2, M. Aittola1, J. Leitner3 and J. Raitala1 1Division of Astronomy, Department of Physical Sciences, P.O. Box 3000, FI-90014 University of Oulu, Finland(marko.aittola@oulu.fi) 2Department of Geosciences, University of Oulu, Finland. Institute for Astronomy...

Introduction: The polygonal impact craters(PICs) are craters that are more or less angular instead of circular or ellipsoidal. They are present and often common on the Moon, Venus, Mercury, Mars and several asteroids and icy moons (e.g. Europa & Iapetus).

Thus, they exist on all kinds of bodies that have craters and fractured crusts [1]. Polygonal craters are also found on the Earth and are supposedly formed by two mechanisms: Simple polygonal craters resulted when the excavation flow opened the crater tearing the target more easily along pre-existing planes of weakness while complex polygonal craters are formed in the modification stage, when the crater rims slumped along the fractures in the target. Both mechanisms lead to straight segments of the rim [2].

So clearly these impact crater that are polygonal are not RARE EVENTS, they just seem to be rare to US, I guess we need to research some more...Anyway thats the technical side of things (read the full papers for the whole mechanism of why..), here are some images. The hexagonal (primarily) craters are found all over the solar system, from moons to planets, here are just some (we know you think that our solar system is teaming with aliens John, that might be, but no, the polygonal craters are not origin=aliens)

Source: Angular craters...many more found there and via GOOGLE!

And finally these images are UV light spectrum enhanced from Clementine I believe:

This image seems like I can't see the hexagonal crater feature right? This is due to the angle of incidence. The below photo is from the same series...

And yet in this image WE DO SEE THE HEXAGONAL features of the impact crater. Now let's give it some rotation shall we...

Do YOU SEE THE DOME AND THE HEXAGONAL protrusion that 'appears' to be dimpled out from the crater floor? It's an optical illusion.

hey I still have 2704 chars left
hmmm

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Who said a hexagonal crater was something not natural? I doubt anybody ever said that.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnific
Who said a hexagonal crater was something not natural? I doubt anybody ever said that.

Well some may think that these strange angular polygonal shapes are indicative of intelligent origin, I just wanted to show that this is not necessarily the case.

Regards to your other post above, yes the events may be dominated by nightime observations around the world and the associated numbers of persons viewing the moon at that particular time. But remeber these events are across all recorded history of these events from 500 ad to 1977!

Also D. Darling does state that:

When looking at the data it is important to remember that sunrise does not take place until the twelfth day of lunation, so a great many of the reported events take place on the dark region of the Moon, between the second and fifth day old Moon. From the sixth to the tenth day, the sunrise terminator proximity to Aristarchus prevents observations of the dark portion of the lunar disk. Events have been reported in this time period and must have been exceptionally brilliant to compete with brightness of the lunar disk. The most interesting thing about this data is on day fourteen which is one day before Full Moon the lunar transient phenomena peaks out at thirty eight events. A detailed examination of the individual L.T.P. reports on this lunation date will give us a better understanding of what is taking place here.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Created a slideshow for all of the Aristarchus Images that I've collected, view it here! So far 23 Images!

...in collage format...

s141.photobucket.com...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Anyway I'm no expert on this I'm sure others can expound better than I have on the topics....

I would disagree with this statement greatlakes. It appears that not only are you an expert but that you have an agenda.

Now. I am going to respectfully ask you one more time. Please use don't use Ari.C. when referring to Aristarchus. It doesn't take any more effort to type it out than it does to abbreviate it.

From Wikipedia:

"Aristarchus was originally named by the Italian map maker Giovanni Riccioli. His work Almagestum novum ("New Almaghest"), published in 1651, gave the spot-shaped telescopic features (later called craters) eponyms of noted astronomers and philosophers. Although widely adopted, the name only became an official international standard by a vote of the IAU General Assembly in 1935."

The abbreviation Ari. C. I find offensive and unnecessary and I believe that Riccioili would also be insulted. I find Ari.C. an unnecessary injection of middle east politics into this thread. If you have to abbreviate Aristarchus let me suggest you use 'nukegen' or something like that.

Thanks.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
I would disagree with this statement greatlakes. It appears that not only are you an expert

Why thank you!

Some smart searching on Google and other search engines and some intelligence yields amazing results (most of the time).

There is also something called "Google Hacking" that enables your searches to become razor sharp and targeted. It's not really hacking, its manipulating the search engine terms and modifiers to yield all kinds of nifty results!

So if you call me an expert well again, thanks, but then the real experts must bu called gurus then

...but that you have an agenda

Yes I do have an agenda, It is to "Deny Ignorance". Isn't that part of the reason you are here? gee I hope so.

I find Ari.C. an unnecessary injection of middle east politics into this thread. If you have to abbreviate Aristarchus let me suggest you use 'nukegen' or something like that.

You lost me by the middle east reference, what are you talking about? Please expound. The Ari.C is used as an ABBREVIATION, you know how many times I would have to write ARISTARCHUS CRATER in my above posts?!

I will continue using abbreviations, sorry, it is not against any T&C that I'm aware of. However if *for some reason unknown to me and most likely anyone else reading your post* you find Ari.C offensive (but not nukegen?) I will substitute Ari.C with Aris.C or Ar.C.

Thanks

BTW I even looked Ari.C up on google, to no avail...

see here: www.google.com...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

BTW What imageing software do y'll use, I'm having a heck time wrangling these large images and zooming in/navigating them...One that handles gif-jpg-png-tiff as well?

Doesn't seem like you're having too much trouble now greatlakes.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Doesn't seem like you're having too much trouble now greatlakes.

What do mean John? I am using GIMP and paint.net now for mainly navigating images. Paint.net has nice features like image analysis and drawing tools, like photoshop. Are you implying something here John? All of the photos posted are from sources clearly displayed and linked. If you want to say something, don't beat around the bush about it, but gee I hope you have some data to prove whatever it is you may or may not be implying.

BTW, who's thread hijacking now? I'm continually pulled off thread topic by these strange posts of your...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Yes do you really want me to post inline images 60 mb a pop?! of course they are greatly reduced.

No of course not silly... I merely wanted to point out your error and point the viewers to where all this has been covered before in the Clementine thread when we released the info on where to find these color images, thats all

Regarding the .cubby files, has anyone found a way to translate these files?

Certainly ISIS will do it but that is a linux based program. Its a free program.

Cubit will do it but thats Sandia labs and requires a 300.00 license fee if you are an appropriate institution

But there really is no need, as those .cub files are simply the data files for the USGS map-a-planet image set... so you can access them a section at a time with your browser

[edit on 27-5-2007 by zorgon]

Well...I have done some more research for you, Zorgon. The issue with the .cub file should be resolvable. I know someone who is just trying to ensure stability in his new Linux box.

he has recommended GIMP, however, to see if it will open the file. It is free, just search it out.

As well...i might be able to get Cubit...is is windows compatible or just for Linux?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Well...I have done some more research for you, Zorgon. The issue with the .cub file should be resolvable. I know someone who is just trying to ensure stability in his new Linux box.

he has recommended GIMP, however, to see if it will open the file. It is free, just search it out.

As well...i might be able to get Cubit...is is windows compatible or just for Linux?

I just downloaded GIMP, so I'm new to it, but I don't see .cub file option in the file open area (i'm using the windows version).

Also rilance is stated that he may be working on trying to translate the files to image format. He is on linux and trying out the ISIS program, what i cubit?

new topics

top topics

<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join