It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force chief: Test weapons on testy U.S. mobs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Everyone has rights (except the arabs in Guantanamo). Even people who have been charged with a crime have rights. This is the problem. People forget that. People have the right to protest and the police forget that.Now, if the rioters have become violent, I believe the police have the right and ability to defend themselves and use their resources to bring the situation under control.

People DO have the right to protest, not riot. Protests are generally peaceful. Riots are not. However, PEOPLE also fail to make the distinction between riots and protests, especially when they are the ones heaving rocks at cops. For many people, violence against police doesn't count as violence. Passive resistance doesn't count as resistance. And that's where you go wrong. When the police say 'stop resisting', you stop, because at that point you've lost already. If you're in custody, just make life easier on everyone.

The problem is that many, many times the police abuse their power.
Protester Shot with Rubber Bullets Shows Police Disconnect, Brutality

More over, I don't like the comments about 'testing'... like protesters are now a bunch of gunea pigs.

Yes, well, I don't like how suddenly all cops are faceless stormtroopers, and everyone has carte-blanche to badmouth them. I watched the video, and it seems pretty by the book to me. Could go for more teargas, though. But that's just me. As for the police officers laughing and stuff...so? Welcome to the real world. Cops are people too, to lampoon the whine of the moddery. I laughed along when my teacher told about he disabled a woman attacking him with a knife by kicking her in the groin so hard she almost passed out. Now, the headshots...that's dangerous, shouldn't have been done. But pegging someone after they've been screaming at you for half an hour (or however long the woman said) that you're Nazis, stormtroopers, etc. has GOT to feel good.

Please answer this... if they are supposedly 'Non-Lethal' then why is he worried about using them on the battlefield? In a war you're going to kill people anyway. So why would there be outrage by the global community?

The issue is, as usual, the media turning something minor into something major. In they turned comments by police officers after doing their jobs into a major sob story. What, do you think that men and women in uniform are all somber after duty, and they all stand around nodding severely because they don't enjoy what they do?

Jeez, even when I worked warehouse people cracked jokes about almost dropping a half-tonne of insulin three stories. You whine for empathy, well, it works both ways.

DE

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I agree with DE.

WE weren't there. just like everyone screams moon conspiracy, how we (personally) weren't there so we don't know the truth, there was a reason why the cops were called in in the first place. You think a hoard of policemen were just walking on the street, saw the protest, and then started firing? How come this lady hasn't sued for police brutality?

I think there is much more to the story than we know.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
People DO have the right to protest, not riot.

I agree.

Protests are generally peaceful. Riots are not. However, PEOPLE also fail to make the distinction between riots and protests, especially when they are the ones heaving rocks at cops. For many people, violence against police doesn't count as violence. Passive resistance doesn't count as resistance. And that's where you go wrong.

No. I never said anything about violence against police not being counted. As a matter of fact, I believe I said the opposite.

Yes, well, I don't like how suddenly all cops are faceless stormtroopers, and everyone has carte-blanche to badmouth them. I watched the video, and it seems pretty by the book to me. Could go for more teargas, though. But that's just me. As for the police officers laughing and stuff...so? Welcome to the real world. Cops are people too, to lampoon the whine of the moddery. I laughed along when my teacher told about he disabled a woman attacking him with a knife by kicking her in the groin so hard she almost passed out. Now, the headshots...that's dangerous, shouldn't have been done. But pegging someone after they've been screaming at you for half an hour (or however long the woman said) that you're Nazis, stormtroopers, etc. has GOT to feel good.

I'm sure it did feel good. But they are just words. You mean these guys don't have the professionalism to just, oh say, not listen? Ignore her? Christ, I was taught that when I was five. Besides they are supposed to be trained to know better. If I was an officer, a professional, I'd be embarrased by those actions and would not want to be associated in that way. My dad always said there's no difference between the cops and the bad guys... They both have the same mentality just one carries a badge. The video proves that to me even more.

The issue is, as usual, the media turning something minor into something major. In they turned comments by police officers after doing their jobs into a major sob story. What, do you think that men and women in uniform are all somber after duty, and they all stand around nodding severely because they don't enjoy what they do?

Them blasting a defensless woman because they don't like what she said is major. A police man tazering a guy to death is major. A police man who puts a bag over a kids head to shut him up until he suffocates is major. And it becomes a tragidy when they all get off scott free. Christ, at least the media did question it... at least someone did because they get away with this stuff all the time.

Jeez, even when I worked warehouse people cracked jokes about almost dropping a half-tonne of insulin three stories. You whine for empathy, well, it works both ways.

Whatever... I'm glad you get a laught out of stuff like this. Might want to try 'South Park' instead sometime.

<< 1   >>

join