It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roswell Incident: Obvious Hoax

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
So in short it all started when a UFO piloted by extra-terrestrial beings crashed near the town of Roswell, New Mexico. A rancher who's property the craft crashed on found the crash reported it to near by Roswell Army Airfield. Which sent out a recovery team which returned with the wreckage. Which was then flown to other military installations. The commanding officer at the airfield Col. William Blanchard then issued a press release stating that a flying disk had been recovered.

Problem: What kind of Colonel would issue such a statement to the public unless he was under orders from a superior officer? The simple fact that it was issued by the military should cast doubt on its validity. Or did the US military simply admit to the existence of alien life in a case of the biggest governmental screw up ever? This event also coincides with the appearance of strange craft in our skies which were drawing the attention of public. Its quite possible that they were man-made craft. This would pose a problem for the military. With Cold War paranoia just beginning to catch we couldn't have our most advanced craft being so easily observed.

So provide the public with a cover story. An advanced race or races of extra-terrestrials are visiting our planet.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
because it was most likely the first time the gov experienced this, after all they reported a crashed disc which is what they found, not necessarily ET tech. It could have easily been a Russian spy satellite, spy plane, etc... So the colonel was doing his job he didn't need authority from extremely high up to release that statement, it wasn't until the gov found out what they were dealing with that they needed to do damage control and revoke the previous report. IMO

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Roswell Incident: Obvious Hoax.

No.

Curio, Anomaly. Yes.

"Or did the US military simply admit to the existence of alien life in a case of the biggest governmental screw up ever?" == danwild6

Your good insite here actually drives to the center of the puzzle. How could such a possible screw up result in the best kept secret in
history ?

"So provide the public with a cover story. An advanced race or races of extra-terrestrials are visiting our planet." == danwild6

Cover story's are real, legal, and not "government lies". Another piece to the puzzle is the Tuesday, July 8 1947 Roswell Daily
Record article. The "flying saucer" recovery story cannot be a cover to disguise a "flying saucer" recovery. That would be crazy.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You have voted Distortion for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Actually for the longest time I couldn't fugure out why he would release that info. Thanks.

Don't forget everyone that the Flying disk release was made before his supieriors were there. He may not have known about the cover-up, he was only a Colonel. Or do you think every full-bird at every po-dunk army airfield in the middle of nowhere knows everything about the most top secret things in our gov?

(I don't know if he was a full-bird, just an example)

[edit on 13-9-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure about this argument. People screw up.

Sometimes, they report things they later think theyshouldn't have reported. Other times, they make up a cover story that comes back to haunt them.

I don't think the idea of an infallible military should be used as the crux of any argument, ever.

What is most important is what the ranchers saw. Everything since then has been smoke and mirrors. The gov has admitted to lying with two cover stories and is currently on their third. I see no reason to trust them.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ectoterrestrial
Everything since then has been smoke and mirrors. The gov has admitted to lying with two cover stories and is currently on their thrid. I see no reason to trust them.

Thats another reason I don't think they are telling us the truth. Its been proven that "MOGUL", the current cover story, is completely false, and its at least the third "official" story about Roswell.

Any foreign technology that would have needed to be covered up at the time is now old news, no reason to cover it up anymore....Unless whatever tech they recovered has either never been released or it has been released but they need to cover up the origins of that tech.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke

Originally posted by Ectoterrestrial
Everything since then has been smoke and mirrors. The gov has admitted to lying with two cover stories and is currently on their thrid. I see no reason to trust them.

Thats another reason I don't think they are telling us the truth. Its been proven that "MOGUL", the current cover story, is completely false, and its at least the third "official" story about Roswell.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but how has the Project MOGUL story been proven false? I've heard logical arguments against it but nothing that definitively disproves it.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here's my take on it. Lets say it was a flying saucer and it was recovered. The Colonel issues the press release. The higher ups realize the enormity of the situation and say, "Whoa! We have to kill that press release. Every scientist in every country will want to be involved in the analysis of the wreckage. We could garner secrets, technology, and possibly new weapons from this stuff. Let's say it was a weather balloon. Kill the story, NOW!!!"

Years later we learn from the government that it was indeed a coverup. Project Mogul, they claim. What I can't figure out is why they treated Project Mogul as top secret for almost 50 years. So we used balloons to try and detect nuclear explosions on the other side of the globe. Big deal. Once spy planes and satellites became the norm, who cared about Mogul. Their excuse for the cover up is a weak argument in my opinion.

We shall probably never know the truth, but the fact of the matter is that the Army did admit to recovering a flying disk, albeit for a single day. And the men that recovered it were from the base where weather balloons were the norm. Seems far fetched that military personel, experienced in weather balloon use and identification, could make that kind of mistake. I don't believe they did!!

In my opinion, the official cover up began in Roswell. And has been successfull to this day.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
For the moment at least, I agree with Jeddy - with one exception.

I believe one day we WILL know the truth - probably ~2012

Mogul is smoke - a feeble attempt to 'calm the masses'. It only partially worked. That's why another attempt is being put together - to answer questions raised by the last 'official explanation'. It will fall flat as well.

You ever wonder how much humanity could accomplish if just a fraction of the resources spent to 'cover things up' and keep them ATS were instead allocated to studying and sharing the information for common good?

Carry on...

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
Don't forget everyone that the Flying disk release was made before his supieriors were there. He may not have known about the cover-up, he was only a Colonel. Or do you think every full-bird at every po-dunk army airfield in the middle of nowhere knows everything about the most top secret things in our gov?

Well I don't know how many Colonels you've met but the ones I've met would probably have contacted their superior officer before contacting the media. Since he was a Colonel I doubt he just got out of West Point. The way I see it is he perfectly knew what was going on and simply followed orders.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Over zealous Colonel "not in the know" with a deep curiosity in the growing UFO phenomenon jumps the gun and issues his press release based on lose preliminary findings. Part Self serving and minor part "Public interest" story, higher ups realize that his story could expose their secret projects while fueling public paranoia over the intent of potential other worldly visitation.

He was forced to re-issue his findings. It served a dual purpose and I see nothing else to suggest the military had anything other to hide and protect.
Thanks to the National Enquirer ( a respectable news paper :lol
the story was reworked and amended with fiction ala Weekly World News

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightwing
Cover story's are real, legal, and not "government lies". Another piece to the puzzle is the Tuesday, July 8 1947 Roswell Daily
Record article. The "flying saucer" recovery story cannot be a cover to disguise a "flying saucer" recovery. That would be crazy.

No but it could be a staged event to throw off public attention.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:05 AM
link   
"No but it could be a staged event to throw off public attention." == danwild6

Clear statement for a curious thought. So what is your thought ? If it is crazy to
use a "flying saucer recovery" story to throw the public off of a "flying saucer recovery",
what else do you have in mind ?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
But then what do you make of the witnesses who swore they saw aliens at the crash site?
These citizens claim they saw beings that were clearly 'not human'.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I was watching a program on the discovery channel that said it could well have been a clever hoax orchestrated by the US government.

At the start of the cold war paranioa was rife and the US was keen to give the impresion that they were superior to their Russian rivals.

A supposed captured UFO would have certainly scared the pants off the Rusians, knowing that the US would reverse engineer the UFO and possibly have ultra high tech alien weapons availible!

I dont know, but it was an interesting theory to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Growing up in the 50's it was commin knowledge it was a true story,even the encylopedias had references to it as 1st space ship discovert,no real elaboration on alien bodys but an in depth report on the incedent,in those days news didn't travel as fast to be able to squash it in time

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'd disagree that it was common knowledge in the 50's...the cover story was pretty effective at the time, given the climate.

I'd also agree with almost everything nightwing said, with this exception...

Your good insite here actually drives to the center of the puzzle. How could such a possible screw up result in the best kept secret in
history ?

I'm not so sure I'd call it the best kept secret...there is plenty of paper trail stating who the principals are, involved with the issue of national security and the UFO phenomenon (and not just the Roswell incident). Also, the "screw-up" was initially contained pretty damn well, as the story wasn't even revisited until decades later by Friedmann. Prior to that, nobody in the general public knew anything about Roswell.

A supposed captured UFO would have certainly scared the pants off the Rusians, knowing that the US would reverse engineer the UFO and possibly have ultra high tech alien weapons availible!

The major flaw in that theory is that, at the time, the story was squashed. To be effective with that objective, it would have been allowed to play out in the press a bit more...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightwing
Clear statement for a curious thought. So what is your thought ? If it is crazy to
use a "flying saucer recovery" story to throw the public off of a "flying saucer recovery",
what else do you have in mind ?

Nightwing, I don't believe that a UFO crashed at Roswell. If one had crashed I doubt the media would have been so promptly informed. I believe it was staged to throw the american public off to what was really flying aroung in our skies. That is classified craft that represent a technology so far beyond our common knowledge. Just think about it. What if the stories of Tesla, Morrey, and T.T. Brown were true. Free energy, incredible weapons that would make nuclear weapons look like a pop gun and interstellar travel just to name a few.

After the second world war americans had been seeing strange things in the sky. These things needed explaining. The government wouldn't just give up its secrets. What government would? They needed to give the public something to focus on. And it couldn't be the Soviets. Which was a threat that the government feared as much as being outed by an insider. Thats is its hand being forced into revealing the technology it possess by its own public panicked over the thought of imminent Soviet invasion.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
But then what do you make of the witnesses who swore they saw aliens at the crash site?
These citizens claim they saw beings that were clearly 'not human'.

From what I've been able to research these accounts didn't surface until the 70's. And involve a second crash site which their is even less information to substantiate.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Obviously you've never lived in a "military town". When you're told to shut up, you do. Your livelihood depends on it, and in 1947, you're a patriot.

Nightwing, I don't believe that a UFO crashed at Roswell. If one had crashed I doubt the media would have been so promptly informed. I believe it was staged to throw the american public off to what was really flying aroung in our skies. That is classified craft that represent a technology so far beyond our common knowledge. Just think about it. What if the stories of Tesla, Morrey, and T.T. Brown were true. Free energy, incredible weapons that would make nuclear weapons look like a pop gun and interstellar travel just to name a few.

For starters, flying discs were NOT synonymous with aliens in 1947. So, releasing the story of a captured disk would NOT have been the way to coverup the idea of aliens flying around. Sorry, but I'm not buying the secret test craft theory. Can you think of any reason a 50+ year old design that was successful wouldn't be in mass use today? Really? Can you think of any reason it would STILL be classified and under wraps? Again...not really...so the idea of a test craft being responsible and planned as disinfo doesn't wash. They (the military) dismissed it as a balloon the very next day, so a disinfo idea by proclaiming a saucer just doesn't seem to fit as anything but an accidental press release and jumping the gun.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join