It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could Be Anywhere In The Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
if you had the power to send a probe anywhere in the universe. where would you go?

if i had such power i would like to send a probe to uranus.

it would be cool to see the diamond rain storms.
www.valdostamuseum.org...

Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley say the hot, crushing atmospheres of Neptune and Uranus may be transforming the chemical methane into flecks of diamond that fall toward the cores of the planets

where would you most like to have a probe in this universe?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I dont think I want to probe Uranus.

Personally I'd send it to the most interesting piece of rock currently known in the galaxy: Earth

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If I could send a PROBE anywhere, I'd probably send one to Europa - melt through the ice - and see what lies beneath!

If I could send myself anywhere, I'd like to explore a star system that we know has planets in it - see what the properties of those planets are like. Whether they're rocky like Mars, smoggy like Venus, or perhaps... just perhaps... rich and wonderful like the Earth.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'd send it to the nearest possible point in relation to the galactic centre, the giant supermassive blackhole in the center of the milky way galaxy.

There's some fishy stuff going on over there I tell you. Strange happenings.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Jupiter. I know I know! Many things have been done there but it still is a most fascinating planet to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well runetag, if there IS something fishy going on in the center of the galaxy, you have no need to worry about it! We are, at the very least, 26,000 (twenty six thousand) lightyears away - 35 thousand at most!

That means that, if something fishy is going on, and something observable to us happens within the next 100 years (so past your lifetime), that event started some 25,900 years ago - far before we could've had a chance to do anything about it. So rest in peace, since it's physically impossible for us NOT to be ignorant about things happening outside our own solar system.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Lol, we're ignorant about what happens at the centre of our own solar system, let alone what lies anywhere else. We are just about to send up a probe (the Japanese are, anyway) that will be able to give us a little bit more warning about those pesky sun spots that cause so much havoc...

EDIT: To answer the question, I would go with.......anywhere but Earth. Sick of the place so much, that the moon would be a welcome break... Europa would be nice, but I'd really like to see the Kuiper belt and explore out there.

[edit on 13/9/06 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Either Europa or Titan and the red spot on Jupiter. Plus another solar system, and mabye the part in between solar systems, and a nebula would be cool oh and near a black hole...............

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
Either Europa or Titan and the red spot on Jupiter. Plus another solar system, and mabye the part in between solar systems, and a nebula would be cool oh and near a black hole...............

Hey Peruvianmonk, Titan is AWESOME my favourite place in the solarsystem

It has oceans of methane! Anyone for a stinky swim??? LOL

They have landed a probe on Titan already. Go here to see what the surface looks like:
www.space.com...

Here's a picture in case you haven't seen it:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You know, I still have high hopes for Titan. The stuff in the atmosphere is PERFECT for generating life forms! Really, if you could see Earth before life arose, it would look a lot like Titan!

Perhaps, if Titan has some volcanoes or even magma vents or something, life could have arisen there. Perhaps just very simple life - nothing advanced or evolved because of the freezing temperatures - but life nonetheless.

Also, I have high hopes for Europa. The planet has tons of water, and could easily also have the chemistry for some kind of life. The real question is whether the planet has liquid water, or if it's frozen/slush. If it's the latter, chances for life are miniscule... but if it's the former. If the sub-surface is kept liquid by inner-heat (which could also be generated by Jupiter's magnetic field like Io)... then WOW!

Once again, nothing advanced could come from that planet... they can't make fire. There could be intelligent creatures there, but nothing advanced. Still - imagine having a probe melt through the ice, descend into a hidden ocean, turn on a headlight, and a fin or something snakes by!!!

Any kind of life outside our own planet would send my heart soaring, intelligent, advanced, or microscopic. It would show that it is POSSIBLE. We already "know" it is - because we're here. But it would show that we're not a fluke, that what happens outside isn't just chancy, it's almost inevitable. I can't imagine how much the social psychology would change once we realize we're not alone.

Right now we're just a single voice... singing to an empty hall. And everywhere we've looked so far, there are even more empty halls. Some have looked inviting, ready for an audience, but none yet. And on the intercom we've been listening, hoping some one out there in this amphitheatre of the universe will send us something to listen to.

I want to hear those other voices, their stories, their songs...

new topics

top topics

join