It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tree of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I am quite sure I know what The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil is and I thought I'd make a space where others can state their beliefs about what it is, or was.

What was The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil , and Why did Adam and Eve hide their genitalia from God after they had eaten from The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil ?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
To me, it has sexual connotations. I personally think that the "sin" that Adam and Eve committed was sexual in nature. The "apple" that the Bible refers to was probably Eve's genitalia. Naturally they would try to hide from God what they had just done...Hence, they covered up their bodies...

[edit on 12-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I should take it litteral or not.. still, I don't know.

I am going to go out on a "limb" (lame joke sorry) and say that it was just a story invented by an ancient Hebrew to expose our need for... clothing? Maybe, clothing.
I am going to climb a bit more and say that maybe it was intended to expose our true inner lust that we crave for one another that must be controled.

What I can say for sure is that it is a great story... is it a story? I'm still not sure. Who ever wrote it was smart.. deep thinking..

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Good luck with this one. I spent a long time searching the meaning of this myself.
Most people I have talked with about it go with the sexual meaning, but that doesn't work for me unless it implies sex with someone/thing other than each other.

The Knowledge of is the experience of. To know good and evil would be more like to have discernment, or something activated in the mind to make decisions for themselves, but they already had free will so that goes out the window. It seems more like the act of rebellion itself. Don't eat, they ate, they saw.

You also have to work out the parallel of the tree of life and the threat of them also eating of it and living forever.

What is a tree? What is fruit? The Kabbalah plays into this abit, maybe

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
To me, it has sexual connotations. I personally think that the "sin" that Adam and Eve committed was sexual in nature. The "apple" that the Bible refers to was probably Eve's genitalia. Naturally they would try to hide from God what they had just done...Hence, they covered up their bodies...

ill have to agree with this one. i also belive that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life was not just two individual trees but trees that grew all over the land. ive also heard that the tree of life was christ. he was there in the beginning, all thru the old tesament and finally entered flesh in the new testament. christ is seen all thru the bible not just in the new tesament. even the tabernacle of moses that had the "3" sections...the outer court the inner court and the holiest of holies where the ark was kept, was the blueprint for the cross. lay the cross down on top of the tabernacle and it fits exactly. (read about this here. even the funiture had significance to the cross)

spiritjournals.org...

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
We need to ask ourselves if there was pro-creation before the story. If not the sex thing fits because the 2 make 3 through sex. Like playing God.
Knowledge of good and evil is knowledge of duality isn't it? Instead of going by God's word they began to think for themselves and determine good/right evil/wrong. Judgement seems to fit. Knowledge of good and evil implies judgement to decide what is right and what is wrong. If they weren't supposed to have sex, why would they have sexual organs and reproductive systems?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
OK, PBGs, I'll bite: You said, "...I am quite sure I know what The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is...".

So What EXACTLY are YOU so quite sure it is?

BTW - I'm still interested in that opal of yours - wanna sell it?

Later days,

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
We need to ask ourselves if there was pro-creation before the story. If not the sex thing fits because the 2 make 3 through sex. Like playing God.
Knowledge of good and evil is knowledge of duality isn't it? Instead of going by God's word they began to think for themselves and determine good/right evil/wrong. Judgement seems to fit. Knowledge of good and evil implies judgement to decide what is right and what is wrong. If they weren't supposed to have sex, why would they have sexual organs and reproductive systems?

Of course nothing is wrong with sex. It was said to be fruitfull and multiply in the story by God. So we are supposed to have sex.

But the thing is, the old testament is laid out with acts of preversion. I think the best example is Sodom and Gommarah. They were destroyed because of their preversion.

The old testament had A LOT to do with sexual acts.

Please do not make me dive into the laws of Leviticus. We all know its bad to have sex with animals.. but did we have to put it so bluntly.. talk about homophobia!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Please do not make me dive into the laws of Leviticus. We all know its bad to have sex with animals.. but did we have to put it so bluntly.. talk about homophobia!

so what we are saying here is that adam and eve not only had sex and that was fine but they got freaky with it and this is where they got in trouble?? was it a goat or a lamb or maybe a snake. i know thats bad but what the hell.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is very simple... IMO

it represents a new growth.. a new focus, a new position for our assemblage point...

"God ..." apparently told us not to eat it... and before that, we existed in paradise...

some say ignorance is bliss... (paradise?)

and before we ate from that tree, we existed in a state of silent knowledge, which is knowledge with no words... means we acted totally according to intent, we never had to reason things out, or find logic in things.... we just did what was intended for the situation....

after we ate from the tree, is really saying after we decided to grow a new tree... a tree of reason and logic... of whats good and whats bad.... we reasoned out and found logical reasons for ... not being naked.... or found reasons to not be without this knowledge, and we hid because we knew what this meant, and we knew why they were trying to stop us from that portion of our 'evolution'...
Because now we have all these definitions of our silent knowledge, and we can find logic and reason to use our silent knowledge to obtain freedom.... freedom from what we currently see and know.... to go on and learn new things... to be purely aware.

Now I've left a lot out and conditioned parts of this so it didn't run on with definitions...
the story essentially just denotes we chose this current path we're on and we have to return to our beginnings to see our end... or the end of this path.... of knowledge.. of awareness...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow

Of course nothing is wrong with sex. It was said to be fruitfull and multiply in the story by God. So we are supposed to have sex.

But the thing is, the old testament is laid out with acts of preversion. I think the best example is Sodom and Gommarah. They were destroyed because of their preversion.

The old testament had A LOT to do with sexual acts.

Could it be possible that there were acts of bestiality? Yes.. as far as I know there still are... I am not trying to belittle the human race but lets face it, it happened..sad but true, right?

So were the books/laws actually ET intervention trying to help us???
Or were they just stories written by wise men???
I really don't know but I believe thats the real questions we should be asking...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

So were the books/laws actually ET intervention trying to help us???
Or were they just stories written by wise men???
I really don't know but I believe thats the real questions we should be asking...

these are two really good questions. this is an awsome site that has answered alot of my questions like these. check it out.

www.bibleufo.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   

You also have to work out the parallel of the tree of life and the threat of them also eating of it and living forever.

I think 'The Tree of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil' and 'The Tree Of Life' are the same tree. It's like if I were to describe my ex wife I would say I lived with The Bearer of My Children and The Banshee From The Pits Of Hell. People might asume I was speaking about two separate individuals but I was just giving two descriptions of the same person.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays

I think 'The Tree of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil' and 'The Tree Of Life' are the same tree. It's like if I were to describe my ex wife I would say I lived with The Bearer of My Children and The Banshee From The Pits Of Hell. People might asume I was speaking about two separate individuals but I was just giving two descriptions of the same person.

Wow! I hope for you, your exwife Isn't reading this.
But you are right. As you said, "The Tree of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil' and 'The Tree Of Life' are the same tree."

It was just a translation difference right?

The tree of life meat to experience good and evil, thus you ascend to understand good and evil and know life. As I said previously, I believe there were very wise men working on translations and stories that are included in the bible.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Tree = life on this planet as in photosynthesis or breath. Both processes of duality. Two things needed for living.

Fruit= byproduct of life. Like the fruit of a tree is based on the kind of tree. Byproduct of lifes choices. So fruit of good would produce good fruit of evil would produce evil. So if they ate, or consumed, or had sex with evil then they would produce evil and maybe the lesson is simply things go bad when you produce evil. TechSnow, Eve and Evil some more fruit to coincide with the subliminal language thread. Your questions are the same that I have and they seem to have hard answers. I just noticed that the word lie is also in evil and the letter V is symbolic of the earth womb. So we have the earth as a womb to experience the lie of wanting to be God and be a creator and not a creature.
Separation from God..............Bad
Return to God........................Good
ET's guiding us? Probably
Atlantian lesson repeated? Probably
Sex with Fallen Angels? Probably
Dnero6911 I love Carlos Castanada and Don Juan! Good interpretation of the story.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by interestedalways]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hi probedbygrays/

The tree of ''The Knowledge Of Good And Evil'', has no sexual conotations.
The Tree in the Garden of Eden......Knowledge of Good and Evil represents Fasting of that particular tree.
Therefore the first people in the Garden were given One Commandement, ''Do not Eat'' Of that tree ......you shall die thereof.

Fasting as the Old Testament Prophets did.....rememberance of Adam and Eve.(many verses say this)

The Old Testament is a Pre-Figuration of Christ ......
Fasting as Did Jesus Christ in the Desert, after His babtism.....

(off subject)
I have also read that the tree of Good and Evil was made up of Three types of Wood......
Symbolising The Father Son and Holy Spirit.

sorry to go off the subject....but if PBG does not mind, I may be of help?
Hi outrageo///

BTW - I'm still interested in that opal of yours - wanna sell it?

You interested in Opal?
u2u me and I might have some to sell to you.

Whereabouts are you?

helen

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I honestly think that the tree of life has a lot to do with Atlantis. Edgar Cayce talked about how the Atlanteans were a once highly advanced civilization that eventually self-destructed under the immense weight of way too much greed and selfishness. The running-away-from-God part is a long running theme and is actually quite normal as it goes in tandemonium with dogs running away from lightening etc. God tried his best to get Adam and Eve to forget about Atlantis if only to start all over again. They couldn't interestingly enough and maybe Atlantis was just that magnificent or something. Bare in mind that Egypt is quite possibly a direct derivitive of Atlantis to which such immense history shouldn't be ignored in the slightest bit as civilization as a whole is about to come full circle in a hurry if you know what I mean i.e. too much in the way of human managed technology.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I don't know, but I think the ancient hebrews were overly concerned with sex because the time the books such as leviticus was written was during the time that the goddesses were being replaces by the gods...
at first, men didn't really realize where the babies were coming from, they thought the women were magical or something....but they didn't realize just what role they were playing in the scheme.
eventually though, it dawned on them, and well, this is when sex because an issue with them.....who's children were theirs???
in order to find out, and be sure, they had to find a system that would preserve a womb for them, and ensure that womb would be just theirs...so control of women became an issue...thus the laws of leviticus...with a few add in just to make sure it didn't sound so anti women that the women revolted!

as far as the tree of knowledge....that was long before leviticus....back in the day when son left mother and father, went unto his wife...in her home...and cleaved...matriarchal...
not when son and tribe went off, bought and paid for women or stole, kidnapped, enslaved them, and then went home...to their homes and took them..

I tend to think the fruit was judgement, of what is good, what is evil...it makes those curses more relevant...men work harder and harder because having more and more is good!! women have more pain in labor because pain is bad and should be resisted...only when dealing with labor, umm...it's not good to resist the pain.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
In Judaism when you look at P.R.D.S. (levels of understanding) it is said it is sexual...eve had intercourse with the serphant.

Now I tend to think Adam and eve were some genetic experiments and realized that "hey, there aint no God...just some scientist who wants to rule me..." Henseforth the "Monsonto" weeds that came to mess up their perfect garden.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I would be more inclined to say that the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life are two distinct "trees" or plants.

A tree of knowledge would open your mind to the world aka psychadelic drugs...
The tree of life would give you everylasting life.

Now why would "God" not want us to have an open mind and everlasting life? Because it was not a god at all...

Knowledge=gnosis; salvation through knowledge. This plays deeply into the ritual use of psychadelics in the ancient world. You think there are a bunch of stoners now, you should have been alive back then

Knowledge=Cannabis
Life=Amanita Muscaria, a fungus mushroom with psychadelic properties

This stuff will get you started...

www.iamshaman.com...
www.thelostword.dk...
www.erowid.org...
www.egodeath.com...
www.entheology.org...
www.cannabisculture.com...
leda.lycaeum.org...
www.shroomery.org...
rbedrosian.com...
www.cannabisculture.com...
www.amanitashop.com...
www.dhushara.com...
entheogen.netfirms.com...
www.yahooka.com...&_Society/Spirituality_&_Religion/
www.somashamans.com...

Take your pick of links, pretty much of all of them have interesting information relating to Jesus being the Amanita muscaria mushroom and Mary being Cannabis Sativa.

You will supposedly have a religious experience when the two of them are combined. I personally have not taken the trip down the rabbit hole yet...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join