It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite impacts New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was not sure where to post this information, I hope to be on the right forum.

I found the following information surfing the net.

New Zealand police have been inundated with calls after a huge explosion was heard from Wellington to Invercargill. Residents in east Christchurch said their houses shook and rattled dramatically after a huge boom just after 3pm. Emergency services are heading to east Christchurch to investigate. Early reports suggest the noise may have been a sonic boom caused by a meteor entering the atmosphere. (..)

he meteor has shown up on the McQueen's Valley seismograph. A GNS Science spokeswoman said they were aware of the incident. "Something has hit the ground hard, it's not an earthquake," she said. An Air Force spokesman told New Zealand Press Association (NZPA) none of their aircraft were responsible - none of the current fleet went fast enough to create a sonic boom. The Christchurch airport had reported they had no planes that were capable of making such a noise. (..)

"It started off with a little boom then a real massive boom. And I mean massive - like the daddy of all booms." The noise was so loud it shook the garage"...

Source: New Zealand Cosmic Event

That´s amazing.
From the noise and the shakings it seemed to hit very close to the town.

I thought that these things usually burn up before impact... Ok, usually means not always, but... Don´t you think it was a big one?

Any further news about it?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
yea I heard about this recent event.Very interesting.Too be honest the meteor has not been found so therefor we cannot assume it is a meteor.It could be apart of a plane or a quake or anything else.We`ll just have to wait.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Nothing impacted New Zealand

new topics

join