It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divide comes from Presidential 9/11 Speech

page: 1

join
share:
Ox

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The White House and Democrats argued Tuesday that the President's 9/11 was highly politicized.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The White House quarreled with Democrats Tuesday over whether President Bush was trying to win political points by using a Sept. 11 anniversary speech to defend the war in Iraq and his war on terror.

"This was not a speech that was designed to single out anybody for partisan reasons, but gave the president's honest reflections and reactions to what has happened since September 11, 2001," Snow said. "The president decided that yesterday wasn't a day for partisanship."

Democrats, in a campaign to win control of Congress from the president's Republican Party, charged that Bush was using a national day of mourning for partisan gain. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said Tuesday that Bush was "more consumed by staying the course in Iraq and playing election-year politics."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The overall feeling from the Presidents speech last night is that it was highly politicised due to the ongoing disapproval of the "War on Terrorism". It seems that the President isnt aboving trying to guilt the entire nation. When hasnt the President used 9/11 to justify just about everything he does, every policy he makes or every bill he signs. The American people deserve better than this, those who died that day deserved to be remembered better than this.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Blah blah blah blah blah (not your post, but the political bantering)

What's new pussycat? Nothing.. same old thing. Someone does something, the other person complains, the first person defends it with a bunch of BLAH BLAH BLAH and we get nowhere, but the politicians feel like they are doing a great job!

Go Freedom!

Ox

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
wooops... sorry

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Ox]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hey, Ox? The poster was actually agreeing with you. And people won't feel like posting in your thread if you attack the only ones who do.
Just FYI.

And on the 'news', I'm afraid I agree with please_takemyrights. Although I don't have a problem with this being posted, the Bush administration has used 9/11 for every_single_thing they can for the past 5 years. OF COURSE they're going to milk it for all it's got on the Sept 11th before midterm elections.

Fortunately, the people have smartened up quite a bit! I actually have hope for this election. But not a lot...

Shouldn't this be in PTS??

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
They know what really happened on 9/11. I really don't know how Bush and the administration sleep at night.. I really, honestly, do not understand it.

Ox

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Sorry about that..... misunderstood....
My mistake and I apologise.. uhh it was in ATSN but got moved here..

And youre right... they are going to milk 9/11 as long as they can.. it's terrible.. I'm surprised this hasnt gone further

Bush spokesman Tony Snow said although there were "three or four sentences" in the president's 17-minute address Monday night that could be considered controversial, Bush took pains not to be partisan. He said Bush had to discuss the dominant issue of Iraq, but he wasn't "picking fights" or making any demands of Congress.

From the original story.. a 17 minute speech Bush touched on 9/11 briefly and then began politcising the rest with the war

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Ox]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think both parties are guilty of using the day for political gain.

I mean, of course bush over did a bit, in his speeches and so forth. It Is a day of rememberence, but it is also a day to continue the positive aspects of the resulting action, you need to keep public moralle up.

But, the opposing party leaped on the day and its events to show bush as being a heartless leader whom is taking advantage. But arent they taking advantage of the leader during this touching day?

Id be more worried if Bush simply treated it with little to no gusto in his speeches.

I do love the quote on rense though, showing bush placing the reid, and his wife asking about the blood on his hands.

Sigh, tis a sad day for the American public, and a day in which public opposition to the WOT steps aside and the whole world pays tribute to the lost souls.
But the president better believe that sept12 and onwards will continue to be pressure days against him.

new topics

top topics

join