It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

irans new weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
www.strategypage.com...

this made for an extremely intresting read especially in the light of the 2 recent iranian planes and their new bomb. i always wondered how iran was all of a sudden turning out high quality planes and weapons. i guess this explains it, they arent.

justin

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
...i always wondered how iran was all of a sudden turning out high quality planes and weapons. i guess this explains it, they arent.

I have always wondered why some people still think third world dictatorships wth no hign tech industry (or in the case of Iran, zero industry) can design and build advanced weapons.

The simple truth is that they cannot.

Iran has an audience - both domestic and foreign - and so long as a propotion believe the propaganda, the job is achieved. Iran the Invulnerable, what with all those stealth planes and precision bombs!!!

Regards

[edit on 12/9/2006 by paraphi]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
well this mostaly has to be taken to contex,

in all Iran have the cabibility to produce its own goods and parts because it has learnt that being to relient on other nations can be a downside mostly when ur cut off from spare parts.

Iran have had the time and money to work on weapons systems with the help of russia and china which gets some tec from israel (which they get from the US and then redsign and sell to other countries even if they arent in the US's good books)

also Iran before the islamic revolution had some nice toys from uncle sam which they have had plenty of time to get cosy with for the last 3 decades or so slowly learning the knowing of all the things (giving them a leverage on working on their own products)

most of its weapons are modled around russian,chineese and western designs since they have been proven effective which they have taken and modified for their needs, example the rapier sam system which Iran now produces,

paraphi

Irans deffence budget is $6.2 billion+ (a fraction of what the US but on the bright side the next gerneration of iranians wont have to pay for it since unlike the next generation of americans with a debt over $3trn+ dollars, and that is debt which is increasing by $500bn a year.)

also IRANS GDB

cia fact book

GDP (purchasing power parity):
$561.6 billion (2005 est.)
GDP (official exchange rate):
$181.2 billion (2005 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
6.1% (2005 est.)

doesnt really look like the power of a third world country does it

(on topic sorry for the tiny bit of politics)

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

cia fact book

GDP (purchasing power parity):
$561.6 billion (2005 est.)
GDP (official exchange rate):
$181.2 billion (2005 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
6.1% (2005 est.)

doesnt really look like the power of a third world country does it

(on topic sorry for the tiny bit of politics)

It doesn't look like a country whose economic engine is petroleum extraction. The price of crude oil inceased nearly 60% during 2005; why didn't their GDP show the growth rates of other oil exporters??? Implies that they have production contracts that didn't factor in the increasing cash value of their product---a very poor business decision last year, if true.

Iran has a population basically comparable with the UK in numbers. The difference with regard to manufacturing is that the UK has an infrastructure that has been in process for 200 years or industrialization; it also enjoys many deepwater ports, and is at the center of world trade.

Iran has a much younger industrialization scheme, is largely landlocked, and has an economy almost exclusively focused on exploiting a single natural resource.

Like North Korea, the government wastes precious revenues on military research, when they should be funding economic diversification. Tying into the world trade community is a much better insurance policy against aggression than militarization is.

On the other hand, militarization guarantees that the party in power retains the throne, even when the economy is stagnant.

I'm confident that the "Iranian Arms Race" is mainly for patriotic consumption, both domestic and in the Arab street.

PS: you also left out the 11% unemployment rate (UK = 4.7%), and the Iranian inflation rate of 13.5% (UK = 2.1%)

does THAT look more like the numbers for a developing nation????

[edit on 12-9-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
^11% compared to a third world country (which my first reply was aimed at)
and as a country that is slowly expanding its infrontsructure i wouldnt be supprised if the figures get smaller)

so i didnt see reason to put it in as the reply above mine states iran has a third world ecconemy

also unlike its arab neigbours Iran has a diverse range (its not all sand)

also they only spend 3.3% of their GDP (might be slightly higher) on deffence

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In defence of the Iran = "third world" statement.

I appreciate the term "third world" is politically incorrect and perhaps I should have used the expression "Iran is not an industrialised nation".

The fact remains that Iran has a per capita GDP of around USD 3,000 depending on source, (but I use the Economist Intelligence Unit). This is high in comaprison to some of the African nations where poverty is extreme, but still pretty low in comparison the the Industrialised nations.

Iran has a economy based on oil and NO diversification. Take away the oil and what do you have?

Iran cannot design or build technologically advanced military hardware as is typical in the industrialised nations who have the industrial (and educational) capability. Iran is decades behind.

Regards

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Iran cannot design or build technologically advanced military hardware as is typical in the industrialised nations . . . Iran is decades behind.

Regards

I'd have to disagree with that statement. My mental categories of national development are not predicated on being a beligerant military power (although I think the leadership of Iran believes in precisely that definition.)

In fact, I think Iran is wasting precious resources on replicating other states' military tech.

They ought to simply outsource their weapons aquisition (God knows they have the cash), and focus instead on education and economic opportunity. If they did, they'd be an economic powerhouse in 25 years.

Analogy:

Instead, Iran is behaving like the captain of the high school chess team, who suddenly decides he's going to become a professional boxer, and try to win the world championship,

Why doesn't he just go off to college, and get an education? And focus on his strenghts?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
hahahaha i wonder if Cjina will send the copy right police out after those fakers...

Gotta say thats the funniest thread link I have read in along long time.

Oh deary me, iran has been rumbled, no matter what the pro iranian camp may think...

One word for Iran. Gutted.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
hahahaha i wonder if Cjina will send the copy right police out after those fakers...

Gotta say thats the funniest thread link I have read in along long time.

Oh deary me, iran has been rumbled, no matter what the pro iranian camp may think...

One word for Iran. Gutted.

why is it that if people can never add anything constructive in a topic their first response is to either say something stupid or just blurt something random?

new topics

top topics

join