It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SIM Cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I was contemplating the construction of these cards last night & began to speculate on the possibility that these cards could house highly advanced nano technology capable of who knows what. Can a technology be too small to be detected by publicly availabe microscopes? What could that type of technology be used for?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, I think we can safely say, even know they can be used as tracking devices, this is common knowledge. If a person goes missing they can trace their basic route and where the phone was turned off etc.

As for anything else- i'm not too sure. What are you suggesting they may be used for?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Can SIM cards be used to track if you're not hooked up with the Internet on your phone? Or is the cell phone connection enough?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Can SIM cards be used to track if you're not hooked up with the Internet on your phone? Or is the cell phone connection enough?

The cell phone being on is enough.
The reason is for your phone to work, it ned to be connected to a cell tower.
If you are connected to a cell tower, as a minimum, they know you are within a given radius-couple of miles.
I believe, that if you are connected to a cell tower, they could track your exact location.
BTW, even if the phone is off, it still may be trackable.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

as of now SIM cards dont do anything but hold your contacts and service information. however, there is a process by wich your position can be determined by triangulating the position of your call between 3 cellphone towers. this method is not very accurate (possibly only accurate within a 1/2 mile or so) but obviously the technology is getting better. this method would also require you to actively be making a call to determine your signal strength and tower activations.

i heard people with gps on their phones can be found at any time by emergency services, thats what the "bullseye" is on some phones. you can turn it off to public use, but authorities can still tap in. i havent heard of any stories of this happening though.

anyway, what are you worried about? got something to hide??????

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Me??? Something to hide?????
*looks around nervously*

Nah, just curious and technologically-challenged

Thanks for the info guys

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Microscopes available to the public not powerful enough? The university up the road has a multi-million dollar electron microscope that can see atoms. I reckon that'd be powerful enough, huh?

new topics

top topics

join