It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No "ifs", "ands" or "BUTTS" -- I've quit smoking!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Cool good luck dude, oddly enough i find myself smoking more and more these days i usasly only smoke when iam drinking (cause iam to drunk to care) ..but now i find myself smoking between breaks at school...still tho it releves stress like a mo'fo- ######

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I made it through yesterday and all last night without smoking, oh I thought about it alot, but twizzlers, and just being involved in other activities helped me through, however this morning, I woke up and just HAD to HAVE one, i caved and I stole one from my husband's pack.

I figure it isn't too bad if I allow myself at least one indulgence during the day, just as long as I'm not chain smoking or thinking of smoking all the time.

now i'm about to start some projects in the house that will hopefully keep me occupied and if I feel myself getting too stressed out, I'm going to the gym.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Way to go Worldwatcher...great work stopping for a day and, well, as for your act of "thievery", I'll forgive you if you can forgive yourself. Just "keep quitting".

I know it's hard, at times, not to cave in to that temptation. That's why I use the Nicorettes. But I'm happy to hear that you are determined to make that last cigarette your "last" cigarette. Just keep on trying WW. Remember, you aren't alone in this.

The last couple of nights, I have noted that I actually smoke in my dreams! When cigarettes can intrude into your dreams it demonstrates just how strong an addiction cigarettes can be.

So Worldwatcher, just keep on quitting. You aren't weak-willed. You know that you can be strong and you "know" you can quit". It's just one day at a time, one minute at a time. It's much harder than it should be bbecause your husband also smokes but you don't have to be a smoker just because he happens to be a smoker. Thankfully my wife quit. I didn't drag her into this, she joined me. Hopefully your quitting will inspire him to quit. But even if he doesn't quit, don't that detract you from your goals.

I'm rooting for you and I'm sure that other ATS members are rooting for you too!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
way too much outside influence and stress to allow me to quit cold turkey, or maybe that is just my excuse, but so far since Sunday's morning's cave in, I've continued to smoke

i'm not chainsmoking, which is a good thing, but I HAVE TO HAVE one when I wake up and one after every meal. So i'm down to 3 a day. I've even rationed myself off and give my husband the rest to take with him so I'm not tempted to do more than the 3.

Driving is really hard, I tend to want to smoke while I drive, but keeping the kids with me and dragging them on my errands has helped because I haven't ever and will never smoke around or when I'm with my kids, but they go back to school tomorrow, so it will be a challenge when no one is home to keep me distracted.

As for the nicotine gum, I'll more than likely buy it this weekend, I do think I need that little extra help to stop completely.

thanks for the support BT and remember you're my inspiration so stay strong for me too.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

thanks for the support BT and remember you're my inspiration so stay strong for me too.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by worldwatcher]

WOW! I don't think that I've "inspired" anyone to do anything before. Thanks Worldwatcher. Now I have an added reason to "stay true" to this goal. And stay true I will!

I'd have to say that you sound like you have quite a bit of resolve. You say that you have gotten your habit down to three cigarettes a day. That's great. But please, don't fool yourself into thinking that you have "mastered" this addiction. I've already had thoughts of smoking just one cigarette run through my head. Thank God that I didn't fall for my own "self talk". If I did have just one cigarette, I know that I could it easy to give myself permission to have just one more....and maybe another...and, well, you catch my drift.

Today I hit the three week mark. In some respects it's easier now. But in other ways it's a lot harder. I actually find myself longing for a smoke at times. I'm talking about really missing that after mealj smoke or that first smoke in the morning along with my coffee. At those moments, I have come to realize that if I gave in just once, I'd be a smoker again. I have found that if I can just resist the moment, the urge goes away and I'm fine until the next smoking trigger comes along.

SMOKING TRIGGERS

That first cup of coffee in the morning

Driving in the car in traffic

After lunch (this is the worst, believe it or not)

On the telephone (especially when I'm hold or if it's a personal call)

After Dinner (this used to be the toughest one but it's not so bad
now.

While reading a book, magazine or newspaper (I guess I'm a
natural multi-tasker....I can't just read?)

While I'm on ATS.....thank God the addiction to ATS is stronger
than my addiction to smoking otherwise I'd stop signing on, instead
I have found myself posting more. I think that I've been averaging
about ten posts a day since I quit.

WAYS TO NOT SMOKE

Go for walks or simply sit outside (on the porch if it's raining)

Post on ATS (gotta keep those hands busy)

Clean and organize .... my desk, my drawers, my bookshelves, my
"stuff" has never been more organized

Stay off of the telephone...at least for personal calls. If I need to
talk to a friend go visit them in person

Oh, just to be safe, tell your friends that you quit smoking...in fact
tell everyone that you quit. This makes it harder to cheat. You
don't want to cheat in front of your friends now do you?

Avoid other smokers, if you can. (man oh man, when my smoking
friends "light up", sometimes it's all I can do but try to "bum" a
smoke off of them.

Get rid of all of your old cigarette lighters and matches. Yes, even
your favorite old Zippo. (for the first week, I realized that I still
carried my Zippo around. Every time I reached into my pocket,
I'd find that Zippo and then I'd crave a smoke)

Always carry gum -- Nicorette gum or just plain Juicy Fruit or
Wrigley's -- anything to keep that oral fixation satisfied.

Anyway Worldwatcher, I'm pleased that I have "inspired" you. Frankly, you've "inspired" me to keep on perservering.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wow....I amost had a smoke this morning. I was up early this morning as a friend came over to discuss some work we will be doing this weekend. My friend is a smoker. (He's a Quebec native and thus, it is impossible for him to stop smoking....it's a "genetic" thing because he's French/Quebec.. ) Anyway, when he left, I found a cigarette that had fallen out of his pack (or did he just leave it?).

Without too much thought, I just picked it up and went straight for my zippo, which I now keep in a drawer next to my computer. I was just about to "light up" when I noticed my own thread on "MY ATS list of threads" -- this thread.

I had a moment of thinking "oh why not have this smoke? I have a coffee and it would taste great. And, of course, it's only one cigarette. What would it hurt?"

The only thing that made me stop was the realization that I would be haunted by the thought that I'd disappoint JenSouth and Worldwatcher. Really. So I quickly crumpled that cigarette and tossed it into my waste-basket. Part of me actually regretted that move but, frankly, I'm very pleased with myself. Nevertheless, I have to thank you JenSouth and Worldwatcher.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I would think that is a great sign in the right direction.

If your absolutely dying for a cigarette and your capable of throwing it in the trash, shows that you are recieving a passing grade.

Have you found much of an impact on your wallet? Is it any heavier?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Im going to try to quit in summer 2007. I have quit once before for a week but as soon as i was offred one i could not refuse very easily.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Have you found much of an impact on your wallet? Is it any heavier?

With the price of a carton of cigarettes at about $75 dollars a carton and considering that I smoked about a carton a week (sometimes more!!!), I might have saved over four thousand dollars per year! When I look at quitting smoking in these terms, my god, I'm rich -- well almost.

Fortunately (??? sic) or unfortunately, my savings are a quite a bit less. I've been purchasing my cigarettes at a First Nations reserve for the past couple of years. I have a cottage at Kettle Point (near Ipperwash), a First Nnations reserve. I've been purchasing smokes there for about twenty bucks a carton. Nevertheless, I don't mind having nearly fifteen hundred dollars extra per year.

I've already earmarked my savings into renovating my cottage. I've already insulated and installed new windows making my cottage "winterized". So there really is a reward for NOT SMOKING.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thats certainly a great start.

Maybe take the money you would of spent on a carton each week and put it away. Two weeks on a tropical vaction would be a nice incentive.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Thats certainly a great start.

Maybe take the money you would of spent on a carton each week and put it away. Two weeks on a tropical vaction would be a nice incentive.

Man you must be psychic......my wife and I are leaving for a ten day cruise on Holland-America. Tropical vacation? You betcha.....Grand Cay, Bahamas, Turks-Caicos Ilsands, Tortugo and St. Martin.

Cruises aren't really "me". Frankly, I'd much rather go up north to Churchill to see Polar Bears or something like that. But my in-laws wanted to take us someplace "special" for a holiday. Who am I to complain about a cruise? Besides, whats' there to complain about right? All the food and booze I can eat and drink, tropical beaches and babes to look at when my wife isn't watching. lol.

The only thing that I'll miss when I'm gone will be ATS but, then, I was noticing in the ship's brochure that they have internet access. So I might very well be posting from the Eastern Carribean. I'll definitely have photos to post.

The best part is that it's a non-smoking ship so, with all temptation remooved, I should have a pretty good time of it.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You guys are on the right path! I'm 2 1/2 years smoke free...smoked for 23 years and tried to quit many many times. Each relapse I had during those years began with a voice inside my head saying " Just this one smoke won't do any harm."
Trust me, it can do harm...so don't have that "one" smoke...but if you do the most important thing is to not let it derail you....keep on quitting.
The nicotine patch worked for me...just killed those cravings and let me forget the habit while slowly losing the physical addiction, I highly recommend it to anyone seriousy wanting to stop smoking.
Keep up the good work. You can do it...and it will be the best thing you've evr done I promise.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
still at it, can't seem to give up the 3 a day, but I am finding it easier to make it thru the day knowing that if I wait it out, I'll get one after lunch or after dinner.

hopefully it will be easier now to quit when I buy the gum this weekend and go cold turkey again.

and thanks benevolent, I appreciate you trashing that cigarrette for me.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
still at it, can't seem to give up the 3 a day, but I am finding it easier to make it thru the day knowing that if I wait it out, I'll get one after lunch or after dinner.

hopefully it will be easier now to quit when I buy the gum this weekend and go cold turkey again.

and thanks benevolent, I appreciate you trashing that cigarrette for me.

I used to convince myself, during those other times that I was trying quit (trust me, there's been a few), that I was "doing just fine" on three or four cigarettes a day. "Heck, that's hardly even smoking!" Well, that's part of the most insidious aspect of the addiction to cigarettes; the habit to smoking and to the physical addiction to nicotine. It's great that you have been able to bring it down to having just three a day. Congratulations, you have proven that you have willpower. Unfortunately, it always seems that three cigarettes turn into four and then five. Six certainly can't hurt, right? The next thing you know, you're back to a pack-a-day. I played this "game" many times before.

As far as going "cold turkey", well I've done that too. Trust me, it wasn't some sort of heroin "jones" but, nevertheless, I found my will taxed to limit. At times, I can honestly say that I was suffering. No, I wasn't curled into a fetal position watching dead babies crawl on the ceiling as in the movie "Trainspotting" but I surely wasn't 100%. I felt like crap and, inevitably, I made those around me share in my frustration and misery.

That's why I found the gum so helpful. It's not a nicotine patch (which (I regarded as "cheating".....whenever I had the urge to "light up", I'd pop a piece of the gum in my mouth and the craving would disappear. The effects of the gum would last a few hours and sometimes that was all I needed to give my willpower a break as well as helping hand. All I know is that I wasn't smoking and it's almost three weeks.

Oh by the way, I suppose that this is mostly true if you've been smoking for, well, "a while" but I dream about smoking. Yep. I actually dream of lighting up and smoking. I know it sounds strange. And, when you start the gum, you can also expect to have some wild dreams too. Really vivid, exotic, out-of-this world type of dreams. I don't know why the dreams are so much more intense but I think that it has something to do with the nicotine in the gum. Maybe it's absorbed differently? Anyway, along with smoking dreams and the enhanced dreaming caused by the gum....buckle up before you go to bed. Perhaps it's just me and my own metabolism -- who knows?

Anyway, I'm rooting for you and, trust me, I'm not going to let you down.....like I said....I don't think that I've been the inspiration for too many people so I take that honor seriously. All I can say, Worldwatcher, is that I know that you can do it.....If I can do it then surely anybody can quit smoking.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
AAAAAHHHHhhhh good Lord, this totaly sucks. Ive been a smoker for almost 15 years. I quit yesterday. I promised myself I would not be a smoker at 30. So, yesterday was 6 months till my 30th. I figure the 2 times I did actually quit it only lasted for 6 months....so now I have something to get me past the 6month marker. I know it sounds crazy. But you gotta find something that works. Went to the store to buy a couple of packs for the weekend and they had gone up to $4 a pack BEFORE tax.
no way dude. Im short on cash, and have 3 kiddos to live for. As much as this sucks.....Im done. WW, I was just like you. For years, I went back and forth between smoking and only cheating 3 or 4 times a day. :bnghd: I finaly figured out that I just had to stop. It sucks big time. But if you have that "one" your still a smoker. Even if you are 6 months smoke free....you have that "one" and you are still a smoker.
I dont wanna be a smoker anymore. Wish me luck!! Id ask you to pray for me......but I should probably ask you to pray for my kids over the next few weeks instead
Gotta love them. THey said they dont mind me being grouchy for a few weeks if it means I no longer smoke.

WEll, gotta find me some tater chips. Wish me luck!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
good luck, ms!
you can do it!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yes goodluck MS...I hope you make it too. Keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of the cravings.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thank you ladies!!! I just hope I dont turn into a big ol heffer after all is said and done. I stared off good only snacking on health food and drinking lots of watter......but as the day went on and on and on.....tater chips and Dr. P was the only way through it. lol Yesterday, I did the deep breathing thing so much I almost passed out. Kept having major dizzy spells LOL back to the chips today AAAHHHh but at least Im not smoking woohoo

( I havent gone through the whole thread yet....did you two quit too?)

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Did I quit too? Hmmmm, well...I said I was going to...and then I haven't gotten around to it yet. Theres still hope for me, I just don't know when yet?

Watch those snacky foods, I think that's everybodies biggest fear...getting fat when you quit smoking! Chew gum instead....maybe that will help?
Good luck girl

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well here's an update; I'm still a non-smoker.

Yeah, I've had a "few" cigarettes but they really were accidents -- moments when I was offered a smoke and, out of sheer habit, I accepted. I am proud to add that the moment when I realized what I was doing, I put them out. But it does go to show you just how insidious this addiction is.....the actual "habit" of smoking seems to be the most powerful aspect of this activity.

It's been a few months now and, to be frank, the urge to go out and grab a pack still passes my mind. When I sit at the computer, at times it really can be an almost overwhelming thought. But, I simply wait and, thankfully, it goes away.

I don't know if I will ever be rid of this "habitual aspect" of smoking. I've heard of people who had quit for years only to pick up a cigarette and start smoking again. Just like that. All I know is that I don't want to smoke and I'm going to be mindful of my own desire to quit and to stay a non-smoker. All in all, it comes down to will power.

My life isn't better as non-smoker (except I have some extra cash) and it isn't worse because I gave up smoking. I haven't put on any weight. In fact, I've lost a few pounds because I find that I am now more active. I think, to some degree, smoking gave me the excuse NOT to get out there and do some of the things that I wanted to do. It's sort of incongruent to be out hiking in nature and to stop for a moment to have a cigarette. What? I'm going to view vistas of unspoiled nature while I puff away at a cigarette? Somehow that picture doesn't seem right.

I'm not one of those people who has quit smoking only to become some sort of "born-again" anti-smoking evangelist. If you smoke, I can respect your choice to do so. If you don't smoke, I hope that you don't start. Smoking isn't such a "big deal" so don't take up the habit. And if you have quit smoking or plan on doing so, I'll offer my support. It can be hard -- at times. Just perservere. You will feel proud of yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join