It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No "ifs", "ands" or "BUTTS" -- I've quit smoking!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
BT, keep fighting the urges. They go away. Don't worry about letting anyone down but yourself. The ATS gang is behind you but it isn't our body and it isn't our time together that matters. Do it for you and your family. Nobody else.

By the way, nice bit of edginess on the crutch response. All I was saying was that you don't want to rely on anything other than your own self control to not smoke. I remember trying the patch a while back and I figured "well, it isn't smoking" so I started upping the patch usage and I wound up looking like I was attacked by a giant squid - big sticky marks all over my body.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Originally posted by Lysergic
cghooo chooooooooooooo

I finally "get it". Lysergic's seratonin levels are so finely atuned (whether this was a natural occurence or whether there has been some 'ahem' tampering done is still up for debate) that he "Lys" is able to say exactly the right thing at the right time.

It's a little after 2:30 am in London, Ontario Canada and I can't sleep. No surprise. But being up late, sleepless, in a quiet house with no distractions is a dangerous time. I just know that if I started looking hard enough, I'd find a cigarette. I know that there just has to be one in the bottom of a drawer, in a coat pocket (stale cigarettes would do me just fine) or someplace -- if I looked hard enough. But Lysergic's brain chemistry is such that he was able to talk directly to my subconscious. If I had succumbed to my nocturnal nicotine whims and urges, I would most certainly have felt as asinine as that comment. "cghooo chooooooooooooo" indeed.

Nope. I'm not gonna light one up (but, between you and me, I'd really like to) however, I won't!

i'll smoke for you

i have bruises i cannot explain.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well it's "Day #3" of my commitment to stop smoking. Do you know what? I feel great! But maybe I feel "too good"?

This morning I woke up, had my coffee, watched CNN Headline News and I didn't think about smoking at all! When my wife asked me how things were going, I had to tell her the truth.....at that point in time I felt that I had this "non-smoking" thing beat!

Now here it is, mid-morning, and I still feel fine and quite resolute in my resolve to stop smoking but I've noticed that I've had some strange thoughts in my head. I've been noticing that I've been maintaining a constant stream of "self-talk" in my head that could only be compared to a form of "bargaining" -- "you can have ONE cigarette.....heck, that's not really even considered smoking", "" Go ahead, have ONE smoke....you have this thing beat...treat yourself....you deserve it.","If you have ONE smoke -- your LAST SMOKE-- it would be ok and it will probably help you to maintain your resolve to never, ever smoke again.....it's Just ONE smoke, after all". Yep, that's the sort of thing running through my head. I feel confident but I realize that it's a sort of "false confidence".

So I'm drinking plenty of water, juice, coffee, tea. I have a bag of celery and carrot sticks handy -- in the fridge in seperate baggies. And, just in case, I have my pack of Nicorette gum on my desk (though I haven't had to use one --yet). I have to say that reading through the responses to this thread that the support of my fellow ATSers really does help. No, I'm not under any responsibility to "make it" because I would "disappoint" anyone, but it's nice to know that I am not alone in this.

One thing that I really feel good about is to hear the JenSouth 31 is going to quit smoking too. If anything, that really gives me a boost.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If, and I say "IF" the nicotine gum is no longer needed past a few days, then why wouldn't you chew regular gum? It taste better, and you could have a stick of regular gum in your mouth all day.... that might be helpful?

Fact sheet: Nicotine withdrawal
Nicotine withdrawal is usually worst in the first 24-48 hours of quitting. Few people experience all the symptoms and they don't all happen at once. The symptoms you might experience are a normal and expected part of quitting smoking. The symptoms will gradually decline in intensity and the worst is usually over after a couple of weeks.

Withdrawal is your body's response to ridding itself of dependence on nicotine. Some people think of the withdrawal as 'recovery symptoms'. After about two weeks 'recovery symptoms' should be gone. If you have a moderate or high level of nicotine dependence and expect withdrawals, using nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is a smart move. The fact sheet Products to help you quit smoking has more information.

It's a good idea to let some of your family, friends and workmates know what you're going through, that way they can support you.

Some of the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal you may experience are:

Irritability and anxiety
Feelings of irritability or anxiety may be experienced as your body adjusts to being without nicotine. It's common to feel anxious when you make a big change in your life.

To counter this effect, reduce the amount of stress in your life in the first two weeks of your quit attempt. Do things that relax you while you're quitting. If you only have time for a short break, then a brief walk and change of environment may help.

Difficulty concentrating
The physical changes that are happening in your body and the cravings for a cigarette may make it more difficult to concentrate. Your body is now receiving more oxygen and will adjust to this in a few days. Complete your tasks or activities in small 'bite-size' chunks. You can do this by taking regular breaks and doing something active during those breaks. Your concentration levels will return to normal in a few weeks time.

Restlessness
Some people feel as though they can't sit still and that they need to move about or do something with their hands. Use this restlessness in a positive way by doing some physical activity that you enjoy.

As your body is removing nicotine it is able to absorb more caffeine. It may be helpful to reduce your intake of tea, coffee and cola drinks by half. Read the labels on chocolate bars and energy drinks as some of these items also contain caffeine. An increase in caffeine levels may add to your feelings of restlessness or insomnia.

Problems falling asleep or frequent waking
Your sleep patterns may be affected as your body withdraws from nicotine. This should ease after about a week. Some people report having unusual or strong dreams, others find that they sleep better. Do something that you find relaxing before you go to bed.

Craving for tobacco
Some people think of cravings as 'desires' for a cigarette. Cravings are normal and expected. They last only a few minutes and have a beginning, middle and an end. As time passes your cravings will be less intense, shorter and happen less often. You may like to think of cravings as a 'time limited desires'. Some people keep a diary to document how they feel, including the frequency and intensity of their cravings. This can help to demonstrate that things are improving.

Tingling sensations and dizziness
Some of the aches and pains you experience are signs that your circulation is improving. This is because more of your smaller blood vessels are opening up and your body is adapting to having more oxygen. Tingling in your fingers and toes and dizziness show that the blood circulating through your body has more oxygen in it.

Coughing
Coughing means that your lungs are getting rid of tar and mucus. Try to think of coughing as your lungs now working better to clean themselves.

Appetite changes
Some people start to feel more hungry once they have quit smoking. This is because nicotine has been reducing their appetite while they have been smoking. You may find that you develop a 'sweet tooth'. It may be helpful to take glucose, which is low in kilojoules and may help to satisfy the desire for sweet foods, without resorting to that extra helping of chocolate cake or ice-cream that can add to your body weight. Glucose is available in liquid or tablet form from pharmacies. Diabetics should consult their doctor before using any product containing sugars.

Nicotine withdrawals

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
congrats. the physical addiction is close to gone. the "voices in your head" are telling you it is easy to quit so having one won't make a difference. Ignore them. Listen to the voices that tell you it's ok to grope that hot chick by the water cooler instead.

just remember, the voices are your own so tell them to stfu

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
congrats. the physical addiction is close to gone. the "voices in your head" are telling you it is easy to quit so having one won't make a difference. Ignore them. ...
just remember, the voices are your own so tell them to stfu

I can accept that the physical aspect of addiction to nicotine is, more or less, gone. At least that's what my own research has revealed. But I can attest to the fact that smoking cigarettes has quite the psychological component. I find myself reaching to my shirt pocket for "my smokes" without thinking or I find myself "looking around" absent-mindedly....what I'm looking for is, well, unknown but I can guess.

I haven't taken any Nicorette gum today yet, in many ways, today is tougher than yesterday.

I've had one "close call". A friend of mine, a French-Canadian from Quebec (NOTE: it is almost a stereo-type that people from Quebec smoke -- a lot. In fact, a joke that my friend often repeats is that his first words, when he was born, were "anyone have a light"), offered me, as is his way, a smoke. I accepted the smoke without a second thought. But I caught myself before I lit the damned thing. So, I suppose I'm doing well.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
In my own experience, its tough to quit smoking, hence why I still do today. I tried cold turkey and did alright for about 2 weeks, and then on the third it was hell. And I started back again, this was about a month and a half ago. I would like to quit but the thought of repeating what happened last time just doesnt make it seem worth it. I need to find a way to ween myself off instead of just dropping it just like that. Bad habits die hard.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I need to find a way to ween myself off instead of just dropping it just like that. Bad habits die hard.

Perhaps I am starting to offer my opinion on how to quit smoking a bit too prematurely. After all, I'm only on Day # 3. However, I am approaching this attempt with a bit more confidence than ever before. First of all, I stocked up on Nicorette Gum. It's foul tasting stuff (in spite of the fact that the Nicorette people say that they have improved upon the taste) but I will say that it actually takes away the cravings within minutes. At this point, I'd rather be hooked on Nicorette gum than hooked on smoking.

One reason that I feel confident that I will quit smoking, once and for all, is that I have started this thread. I have had a real boost in my resolve because of the support that I have received from so many of my fellow ATS members. Really. I cannot express just how heartening it has been to have heard the experiences and to have received real encouragement. This has been a real help.

Perhaps we can launch a Smoking Cessation Group here at ATS? Join me in my committment to stop smoking. Alone, we face this addiction head on but together -- together we can share our encouragement, our support and our sincere best wishes to succeed over this stupid habit.

All that I can say is that this thread has been of genuine assistance to aid me in my goal of becoming smoke free.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Great! Keep it up! I check on you everyday, making sure you're cigarette free. If you need the Russian army to gun down any cigarettes, just call 1800-killsmoking ........joking.................but if you see a cigarette, KILL IT! After all, if you squash a cigarette and throw it in the lake, you won't be able to smoke it, will ya? Unless you are TOO addicted and jump in the lake to "rescue" it and bring it back to health and dry it and put it back together...........but I know YOU won't do that
Get rid of EVERY smoke in your house........DO IT! If you are THIS serious about quiting, why not? You arn't planning on smoking. So get rid of EVERY cigarette in your house! So you WON'T have to look for one! And yeah, think about getting some delicious gum to replace your nitocine gum. And everyday, remind yourself of how many days you've gone without smoking.

YOU CAN DO IT! ...........remember, if you REALLY feel like it, instead of running to the Indian cigarette shop (assuming you've gotten rid of EVERY cigarette in your house) go on this thread and say I WANNA SMOKE, BUT I WON'T!

Just whatever you do, DON'T SMOKE! Good luck! I know you can do it! We all are supporting you!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Spasibo Russian soldier
Spasibo for you words of encouragement
Spasibo for your advice.

I've done my best to rid my house of cigarettes. My wife is quitting with me and that helps a lot
we help each other through this.

The only difference is that she uses the nicorette patch....whereas I use the nicorette gum but sparingly. I want to rid my system of nicotine as soon as possible but, for the time being, it's most important to me simply to stop the cigarette habit. Later, when I have overcome the urge to smoke a cigarette, I'll deal with getting past the nicotine gum. So I become a "juicy fruit gum" addict -- big deal! Right?

Anyway, I'm going to be starting my fourth day as a NON SMOKER.....yay for me!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It's good that you only sparingly use the gum, as over using it can give you throat infections.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
It's good that you only sparingly use the gum, as over using it can give you throat infections.

Fortunately, the Nicorette gum has a lot to be desired in the taste department. I will readily attest to the fact that it can stop a "craving" dead in it's tracks. It really is quite effective. However, the taste of the Nicorette gum truly, to put it mildly, sucks!

It would appear that the people who produce and market Nicorette gum have gone to great lengths to improve the taste of their product. I can clearly recall the last time I tried to quit. At the time, when faced with a craving, I was actually reluctant to even take the gum. It tasted that bad. Now, while the gum still tastes bad, it doesn't taste as bad as it once did. In fact, the Nicorette people have actually tried to add some sort of flavor to the little Chiclets-sized squares of gum. Supposedly, the nicorettes that I use now are "fruit" flavored?

Anyway, I use the gum sparingly and, yes, I also use them as a psychological crutch. It's just reassuring that my pack of nicorettes is there in my pocket.

It's interesting to note, however, that the gum can give you throat infections? Is this because of the caustic nature of nicotine or is that nicotine can be an immunosuppressant?

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I duno man

first week of no sweat leaf was living hell for me

but now i suck butts. so.. dont be like me. :p

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
BT... I think tomorrow is "D" for me.... unless I wait, & start off my week right and give it a go on Monday.. because I know my neighbor isn't quite out of supplies yet (we roll our own) and he will tempt and taunt me... I may wait until he's ready.. he's my coffee buddy! Otherwise I think I'll cheat:shk:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
BT, Congratulations, man!!! I just passed 5 years! You picked a great day to stop, you'll always remember it.

Don't think about it in terms of "when are the cravings going to stop?" Think about it in terms of "No matter how long they go on, I am stronger and I WILL outlast them"! You picked a great time to stop!

Check this out! Don't let the tobacco companies get you in their clutches again!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not sure if you are aware of this existing thread or not, but I thought I would link it anyways. Begins with a great poem from spacedoubt and then pages of support and accounts from other members at the time.

Farewell My Filtered Friends

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
One of the primary rules of hunting is to recognize that a wounded animal is all the more dangerous. This morning I have announced to my wife that I am a wounded animal. I asked her to "let me off the hook for the day" -- that is as far as civility goes. Day five is here!

I thought that today would be, by far, the "easiest day". So far i hasn't been. I have found myself to be edgy, quick to respond -- usually sarcastically, and very angry. I know that when one stops smoking you can expect to be a little irritable. I am way more than a little irritible. I feel like I was a grizzly bear who was struck by a dart. I am mad and it takes almost nothing for me to respond in an entirely inappropriate manner. At this point, I hope my wife forgives me......

I don't look forward to leaving the house. I'm not one typically given to "road rage" but I can see that I might get a "little touchy" if someone cuts me off or rides my bumper this morning. I feel so on edge. I feel so irritable. I really feel very uncomfortable in my own skin. And, oh, everything I own smells like cigarettes and I now absolutely HATE that smell.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant, everything I own smells like cigarettes and I now absolutely HATE that smell.

fairly sure I mentioned that aspect.

the edgy, irritable feeling should subside in around a year. Kidding. It will slowly go away but you should try and find ways to occupy yourself so that you don't think about smoking. Go out and do something that you can't do if you smoke. Anything. I went fishing with my dad, my nephew and my brothers in law. Roughly 24 hours on the boat. I didn't think about smoking once. Now, I'm not suggesting you hide for 24 hours but, rather, do things that will keep your mind off the desire. Before you know it, you won't be thinking "I could use a smoke" but "this is when I would normally want a smoke."

Might want to add up the money you've saved by not buying cigarettes. That always makes it a bit more fun.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well I did it. I made it through my first five days without a cigarette. Oh I did have some close calls and some rough moments but here I am....a non smoker.

I know that I still have a way to go. What do they say? It takes twenty one days to make a habit? Well I have a couple of weeks to go before I make non-smoking a habit.

Thankfully, I'm going to my cottage over the weekend to work. It seems that I just don't need or even crave smoking when I'm in the great outdoors, by the lake or sitting around a roaring fire. Even the fact that my cottage is on a First Nations Reservation and that they sell cigarettes for about sixty bucks less a carton than anywhere else isn't that tempting. I just know that I can sublimate all of my desires and urges to smoke into labor -- especially since I love my cottage or, rather, what my cottage represents...freedom, peace and harmony.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Congrats BT!

You truly deserve credit for what you have accomplished.

Hopefully those around you are still speaking with you, I can just imagine the constant frustration you are in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join