It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No "ifs", "ands" or "BUTTS" -- I've quit smoking!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
always dump your ashtrays before you quit smoking. It's amazing how tempting a dried out old cigarette butt can be.

Been there, done that! I like this journal of an ex-smoker you are keeping. I'm sure it will provide much humor for those of us who know exactly what you are going through! Be strong!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well I broke down ..... but I didn't smoke a cigarette. Instead, I felt compelled to grab one of the Nicorette gum packets that I had prestocked just for this occasion. Otherwise, well, otherwise I think that I'd be a smoker right now.

I cannot emphasize the power that the nicotine addiction / habit holds over people -- over me. All that I needed to do was to be around, see or, believe it or not, hear another smoker and the craving hits you like a ton of bricks. I was on the telephone when I could hear the person that I was talking to inhale on a cigarette. There was no mistaking that sound, a sound that every smoker knows. That's when it hit me....I wanted a smoke. I NEEDED a smoke.

Thank God that I had a pack of that Nicorette gum handy.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
you know, I had typed out this long post and it must not have posted yesterday so let me give you some tips from me, a pack and a half a day (camels) until a year ago (with a month or so sojourn into tobacco land with ultra lights for some unknown reason).

drink plenty of water.
avoid substituting the cigs with gum, toothpicks or any other oral fixation object (insert bj jokes here) as they are unsightly and often even worse looking than the cigs.
carry a picture of the most important thing in your life. whenever the need hits you, pull out that picture. the idea of being around longer to enjoy that person place or thing should be a nice motivater.
avoid places where others are smoking for now.

once the initial physical addiction is over and you become acutely aware of moments when you would have normally been smoking (the car, the walk home etc) you will be in the position of breaking the mental habit which is, in my mind, much much harder.

at this point, the stink of cigarettes should be obvious to you. You will now realize how bad you smelled and, hopefully, your home isn't in need of a major overhaul as a result of your smoking indoors. this smell should serve as a reminder for how others must have smelled you. unless you sport some serious seinfeldian valet b.o. If that is the case, you got problems.

food will taste better and everything smells better. be wary of your weight. weight gain is a major factor for people who quit the smokes. try to avoid snacking as a butt replacement and, if you must eat, eat something light and healthy.

I did this once for 3 years and went back (don't ask, it's moronic) and I quit again a year ago when it was time for me to get life insurance so that my kids would be taken care of if I should die an early death. The mental aspect is a bitch but the mind is a wonderful thing and if you can control your thinking you should be ok.

feel free to drop me a line to vent, piss and moan, should the need arise. the smokes were a way to unwind and relax when stressed so you need to find new channels for that. a u2u unleashing torrents of bile can help, I kid you not.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
The mental aspect is a bitch

I completely agree with you 100%. It's the mental habit that's hard to kick....not the nicotine!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I've read that kicking cigs is as ahrd or harder than heroin or crack. I'm guessing they are suggesting that the mental side is hard to get over because, other than a headache, I don't really recall much else with regards to the withdrawl.

I haven't ever been so addicted to any drugs that I have suffered major withdrawl so I cannot really compare but if trainspotting and some of these other movies are even half right, the physical aspect is a cake walk compared to the hard drugs.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Crakeur mentioned that smoking had been a way to relieve stress......well I've had a stressful day.

I was late for the dentist. The city that I live in, London, Ontario Canada, is notorious for the way a train can, literally, sever the city in half. Trying to get to my dentist, a train came by and, of course, I was on one side of the tracks and my dentist was on the other. Instead of smoking, I counted train cars. You know, counting train cars or, for that matter, counting anything is a poor substitute for a cigarette. Again, thank God for Nicorette Gum. However, I'm starting to wonder how I will ever kick the gum habit.

The train finally passed and I was just a block away from my dentist. While stopped at the last set of lights before my destination, a well dressed woman who looked rather perplexed ran up to my car. I thought that she had some sort of serious problem; car trouble or the like and needed to have me use my cell phone to call for assistance. I lowered my window. This relatively "normal" looking woman leaned into my drivers side window and began to YELL at me....."THE ANTICHRIST IS HERE! THE TIME OF THE BEAST IS UPON US!"

I couldn't get away from this woman fast enough. Her eyes were glazed over. In spite of her well-dressed and very "normal" appearance, I had been singled out by a raving lunatic on a tirade. The cars behind me had already started honking their horns, I was late for my appointment and I had a crazed religious fanatic at my window yelling at me about the antichrist of all things. When she stepped back away from the car for a moment, I took the opportunity to pull away. When I looked in my rear view mirror, I could see this 'prophetess of doom' blocking the car that had been behind me. At least now I could get to the dentist ... to have a root canal. (the scary thing about all of this is every word is absolutely true!).

I've had a stressful day? I've had a stressful day!

....I'm home now and I've just had my third piece of Nicorette gum. But, you know, the gum only helps so much......damn, I could use a cigarette or two or ten -- right now. But I won't. I've been through too much to stop now. Maybe if something truly bizarre happens but it would have to be special.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I love religous freaks. they're so entertaining. Agreed, not as much when they're leaning in your car.

I'd ditch the gum now before it becomes too much of a crutch. the truth is, if you go two days without any nicotine, the physical addiction should be over. then it is mental and you are, therefore, chewing gum as a substitute for the act of smoking a cigarette.

drink water. I once read that if you drink a gallon or more of water the day before you quit, it makes that first day easier on the system. since you have already quit, keep drinking water. Maybe it will help.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
II'd ditch the gum now before it becomes too much of a crutch.

Too much of a crutch? I've had three pieces! And as far as becoming a crutch, I hardly think that chewing anything that tastes as bad as nicorette gum could become a crutch. Granted, they've done a lot to the Nicorette Gum since the last time I tried to quit smoking but, frankly the "improvements" that they have made hardly make up for the fact that it still tastes like.......like......like..... Well, you know what I mean.

The Nicorette Gum that I have is "Nicorette with Whitening coated gum" . I guess that it actually whitens your teeth while you nervously chew. And as for the "fresh fruit" flavor, well all I can say is that I have never tasted such a collection of fruit that they must have combined to make this particular taste. Perhaps it's backward engineered from something that they found in Roswell?

Anyway, I have the 4mg dosage. "For those who smoke their first cigarette within 30 minutes of waking up. I guess that's me. My first words in the morning are usually "where's the lighter? Good morning honey" . Anyway, crutch or not, I suppose I do need a "helping hand" so to speak. But I've taken your advice and have started drinking lots of water.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
BT, glad to see your hanging in there.

Admitting how bad you want one is probably the first step in the right direction. You need to face the problem in order to defeat it.

Hang Tough Friend!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
GO BT GO!

YOU CAN DO IT!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Exactely, you CAN do it!
It's hard to quit but you have to keep your mental discipline, when the desire comes associate it with something you hate or something horrible. OR, like you said you did, find something to keep your mind busy.

Hard? It's damn hard, I found myself in the same situation but for different reasons but trust me, you WILL get over it, because you are stronger than this nicotine #!

Hugs to you buddy, if you need any support just post here and II'll try my best to help you.
See ya!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
great news!!!

keep up the great work!!!

and, namaste, and good luck...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thanks for all of your support. It really does help. I feel like I can't let all you guys down and that sort of puts more of an onus upon me to maintain my cigarette "sobriety". Believe me when I say that there have been several times ....today....when I just wanted to give in and grab a "cancer stick" and start puffing away. This is one of the hardest things that I have ever done.

Ironically, I've stopped before and it was hard then but I have always started up again in the past. But this time, I intend to stop and I mean stop smoking for good!. I just wanted to let you all know that your support really helps. At the same time, I hope that others might be inspired to stop as well. After all "misery loves company".

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Don't worry about letting other people down, that only adds more pressure and more stress, which increases your cravings. Just keep reminding yourself that this is something that you are doing for yourself. Make your decision to quit a personal declaration of war, personalize that addiction and talk to it (silently, of course) and tell it that you are not going to give in, no matter what. It sounds kind of crazy but it works. Sometimes self-righteous anger can be a good thing.

However you finally decide to attack your addiction, BT, know this: We're all of us right there with you, rooting you on.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well done on quiting!

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years and quit about 6 months ago. I feel way fitter and healthier being a non smoker and my sence of smell is back!

If i could give a you a tip, it's just to look at yourself as a non smoker. If someone offers you one, rather than sayin "i've quit" or "i'm quiting" just say..

...no thanks I don't smoke!

Even though it sounds silly, for some reason that mindset and responce helped me to no end.

Good Luck! You're almost there!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
BT... I've been thinking about it all day, and I even talked to me neighbor who is considering kicking the habit too....in a couple of days when my supply runs out.... I'm going to quit with you! I think I'll need lots of encouragement...my step mother in law is coming for a visit...:w: Maybe I'll take up drinking! I think I'll try the gallon of water thing...

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
We're all rooting for you! As a nonsmoker, you will also serve as an example to others who wanna quit smoking. Keep it up! If you see a cigarette in range and start to reach for it, instead of putting it in your mouth, SMASH IT LIKE THE UGLY BAD NASTY BUG THAT IT IS!

I see that others are quiting stuff too, so you arn't alone here!

YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! DON'T SMOKE! DON'T SMOKE!

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
cghooo chooooooooooooo

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
BT, you are the man. We are all behind you man. When u need some strength, come look here at the lucky lucky chicken bones being thrown your way. I tried a couple times and didnt succeed. I hope the best for you and send ya my strength, for what its worth buddy.

when u want to pick up that cig just do this to them
and this and this :bash: and this

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
cghooo chooooooooooooo

I finally "get it". Lysergic's seratonin levels are so finely atuned (whether this was a natural occurence or whether there has been some 'ahem' tampering done is still up for debate) that he "Lys" is able to say exactly the right thing at the right time.

It's a little after 2:30 am in London, Ontario Canada and I can't sleep. No surprise. But being up late, sleepless, in a quiet house with no distractions is a dangerous time. I just know that if I started looking hard enough, I'd find a cigarette. I know that there just has to be one in the bottom of a drawer, in a coat pocket (stale cigarettes would do me just fine) or someplace -- if I looked hard enough. But Lysergic's brain chemistry is such that he was able to talk directly to my subconscious. If I had succumbed to my nocturnal nicotine whims and urges, I would most certainly have felt as asinine as that comment. "cghooo chooooooooooooo" indeed.

Nope. I'm not gonna light one up (but, between you and me, I'd really like to) however, I won't!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join