It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No "ifs", "ands" or "BUTTS" -- I've quit smoking!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It's taken me a while to come to this point. I finally decided to quit smoking "once and for all". I've been smoking cigarettes for about twenty years and it was the stupidest thing that I ever did. Although I've made several attempts in the past to quit smoking, none of those forays into abstinence lasted longer than a few months. This time, I am determined to stop.

I've stocked up on Nicorette gum but I am going to try to do this "cold turkey". Using nicotine substitutes simply doesn't make any sense to me. After all, I would only be prolonging my addiction to nicotine. Of course, I do understand that nicotine gum and patches do help one get past the addiction or, as some call it, the habit of smoking. However, I would like to simply stop smoking on my own. If I am tempted -- strongly -- I will turn to whatever helps me get past those cravings.

Anyway, this is my first day of being a non-smoker. I sure could use some encouragement and any tips that you might have to overcome this stupid and insidious addiction/habit.

And just a word to those who are just starting to smoke -- STOP.....STOP NOW.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Good for you! That's awesome. Best of luck to you.
Aside from the obvious good points, look at how much money you'll save!

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good for you. The hardest step is usually the first step. Admitting and wanting to stop. I can't offer any advice, because I've failed on numerous occassions, but I will support you and hopefully when I'm ready, you can give me tips after your success.

oh..I did hear exercise is a good substitute.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
look at how much money you'll save!

Thanks for the encouragement "lombozo". I need it.

I probably would have quit smoking long ago for exactly the reason you mentioned -- saving money. I live in Ontario, Canada and the cost of a carton of smokes (200 cigarettes) is in the $70 range. That's a lot of cash to be, for all intents and purposes, to burn. In fact, I would have quit smoking long ago except for the fact that I was able to purchase TAX - FREE cigarettes from a, so-called, "indian reservation". Native, indigenous peoples in Ontario have found "loopholes" in the laws which exclude them from various taxation regulations. Because of this, they are able to sell cigarettes for roughly $20 per carton.

I certainly do not blame the indigenous peoples of Canada for selling tax free cigarettes or, for that matter, doing anything to help provide local jobs or to help increase profits for their people. But, to be honest, I would have probably stopped smoking long ago if it hadn't been for the availability of "cheap smokes".

Of course, smoking or not smoking is MY responsibility. And I've taken the first step today.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good on ya!

Im almost a year ciggy free,

what i will say is hang in there,
I used the gum to just remember when you get a craving it takes at least 5 mins of chewing to get your buzz, so just hold out and it will go,

in stead of grabbing a gum all the time i tryed to hold out as long as possible then take one,

I then after a week introduced normal chew gum, in the end i used a normal gum,

so in turn not being addicted to anything, I am now almost a year stopped,

Challange your self,

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Congradulations on quitting! It's a very tough thing to do, so good luck!

[edit on 11-9-2006 by mindlessinsanity]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I had my first real "test" of will and I won!

I was driving in the car when the urge to have a smoke first hit. But I dismissed it because I thought that I didn't have any cigarettes. While sitting at a red light, I spotted a cigarette that had, somehow, fallen between between the console and my seat. It must have been there for weeks if not months. Nonetheless, that cigarette became the object of my total desire. When the light turned green, I started driving but, all the while, my hand was fishing between the seat for that cigarette. It wasn't easy -- nor safe -- but I managed to get that cigarette out of it's hiding place and into my sweaty hands.

I pushed in the car's cigarette lighter while letting that "delicious" (?), albeit stale, smoke dangle from my lips. When the cars' cigarette lighter "popped out", instead of reaching for it, I yanked that cigarette out of my mouth and simply, without a second thought, tossed it out of my window. I know that, at first, I regretted doing this but my regret quickly turned into a wonderful sense of satisfaction. I know that I'm going to beat this thing!

By the way, Asala, congratulations on your own triumph over this damned addiction. Man, I know that it "aint easy".

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Good on you, bt. You can do it, just stay strong and take it one craving at a time.

I quit 7 months ago and I haven't looked back. You can do it, too!

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
BT, this can be the biggest decision of your life.

A family member of mine was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. He had a few surgeries and beat it. A heavy smoker for over 30 years, now had to turn his life around. He even had a catheter on his side for passing fluids, it was alot to deal with quickly.

Unfortunately he could not kick the habit. After beating cancer he could not put the cigarettes down, and continued to smoke.

He was released from the hospital on January 2nd, 2003 after beating cancer. Returned to the hospital on April 7th, 2003 after a massive heart attack and passed away on April 14th, 2003.

After a first hand account of the cancer battle, I could not believe he continued to smoke. The way this addiction wraps you up is criminal, so you will have some dark days ahead of you.

BT I wish you all the best, hopefully you come out on top.

Chew on straws or gum. Eat peppermints, whatever you have to do.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yes...Good for you! Make it past the first few days.... they are the hardest & you will have this beat! Now I should consider following your example! Maybe.. in a week or so?? LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Congratulations on your decision to quit! Unfortunately, My first attempt didn't work for me as well as I would have liked. I had quit for about a month before my son was born but then I went out to celebrate with my friends( who are all smokers ) and have been back on since. I do plan to try again. Maybe I'll use the patch this time. I can tell you though that the advantages are great. You can actually taste your food, you don't smell like a ashtray so your cologne actually works, you can breath better and your wallet does get fatter with all of the money you save! Keep at it and keep us posted.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
yAY..... good for you...

well, when you feel the need for a ciggy, just log on to BTS and make a post instead of lighting up.....

My wife quit about 4 years ago, after smoking for about 13 years.... she quit "cold turkey".... it was hard for her... she was also looking for a substitute for lighting up, I tried convincing her that we could just "do it" instead of her smoking, worked for a few days then she was on to me :shk::shk:

j/k, she was able to quit "cold turkey" and I'm very proud of her and of all those that have been able to kick that nasty / dangerous habit.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That is wonderful! I myself don't smoke but I've seen loved ones try and quit and I know it isn't a walk in the part. You can do this!

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

More for me!

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I just realized that one of my "triggers" for cigarettes is, well, a cup of coffee AND ATS.
I've been sitting at my pc for the past half hour or so in a state of total "nic-fitting". I've been unable to read posts in their entirety, unable to respond. In general, I'm unable to focus at all, it would seem.

Instead of going out into the night, however, I am taking this as "one more reason" to quit smoking. I don't want to be at the mercy of this stupid, vile weed any longer. As far as I am concerned, cigarettes and nicotine addiction is one of the most insidious addictions possible. I can't believe that I succumbed to this habit for as long as I have.

-- if I can only make it through tonight -- 'sigh'

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You can do it! Take a bag of carrots with you to computer! You need to find something to do with your hands.

Smoking and coffe is a trigger for me, but only if I'm socializing with my neighbor. I haven't smoked in the house in 16 years, so the computer/smoking thing isn't a trigger for me at all. When I leave my house for the day, I never take my cigs with me....It doesn't ever bother me..I can go for hours with out a smoke away from home.... so I should just quit! Heck...I don't even have a smoke until I've been up for a couple of hours...it's not the first thing I grab in the morning...I grab a ponytail to put my hair up, and then I go hell bent for the coffee pot!:w:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You can do it! The Russian army supports you all the way!

A good substitute for smoking is probably sex. I mean, what is better out there then that? I surely hope you don't think about smoking when you do it, right? Eat chips, or other good food. Play whatever games you like to play. Do fun stuff. Do stuff that gets your mind off cigarettes. Oh, did I mention that you must get rid of every cigarette in your house? Yeah, do that, just in case.................

Lets see...................... play sport. Exercize. Oh, if you feel like smoking take a mini carrot, and PRETEND hehe, maybe that'll make you feel better. Close your eyes and pretend you're smoking. Better yet, just think about all the harmful effects-c'mon, are your money, health, and hygene worth a goddamn dried plant wrapped in paper and burned? Ooh, I got a good one-box! Everytime you feel like smoking, punch a punching bag! Better yet, take a cigarette, tie it to the punching bag, and beat the hell out of it

It'll feel good beating the hell out of the cigarette, I mean, are you gonna just let the cigarette walk away unharmed after doing all this to you? Beat him! KO him, Muhammad Ali! Take him to the boxing ring, do a first round knock out!.................................
..............ok ok, that's enough. lol.

But you get the idea. At least you want to quit. That's a good thing. Me, I don't smoke or ever smoked, but I did try it, I don't like it, it tastes like crap. Makes me cough. I get annoyed when people smoke around me. Also I hate what it does to your health and wallet. Reward yourself everyday for not smoking. Show off. Brag about it.

JUST DON'T EVER SMOKE AGAIN! You have inner strength, right? YOU CAN DO IT! Whenever you feel like smoking, post it here, but don't EVEN TRY smoking. Post a comment on this thread. You can do it

Good luck

RS

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Thanks to comments and encouragement by Russian Soldier and others, I have made it through my first day of being a non-smoker. I don't really feel much of an accomplishment as I've craved the damned things all day long. Except for not actually smoking, I feel like I am still a smoker but I know that this will pass and that every day that goes by I will become stronger and stronger in my will and desire. But, for right now, I must say that I am quite happy that I am heading off to sleep. At least I will have a few hours wherein I am not tormented by the urge to smoke.

A message to non-smokers; For God's sake don't ever smoke! It's just stupid. I personally am dumbfounded as to the addictive grip that nicotine has. Although I don't go through physical cravings, per se, there is this very strange mental urge -- a very strong nagging desire -- to light up a smoke. It's so odd that I am triggered every time I see someone smoking -- even on television. I might distract myself from thinking about smoking but, after a while, the thought enters my head and, well, it's all you think about.
So, if you don't smoke, please don't start. All I can say is that trying to stop is one of the most difficult things that I have undertaken. Really.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I must say that I am quite happy that I am heading off to sleep. At least I will have a few hours wherein I am not tormented by the urge to smoke.

Now you have to deal with the nicotine night sweats...while your body starts purging the toxins out. Happens everytime you quit smoking.:shk:

Glad you made it through your first day...tomorrow will be easier still. It isn't really the nicotine IMO, it's a psychological [almost] kind of addiction...more so than the nicotine. Stay away from smokers this week...or you will cheat.:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So far so good. I'm into my second day of not smoking. I have learned one thing.....always dump your ashtrays before you quit smoking. It's amazing how tempting a dried out old cigarette butt can be. Thank God I was able to muster up some added self control before I broke my "fast" over some stinky old butt

I avoided coffee this morning and had a cup of Earl Grey tea instead. That helped. I got my caffeine hit without the usual association of a coffee and a smoke. But the day is young and I know that I'll have plenty of other temptations before this "trial" is finally over.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join