It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Five Years On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is an op-ed piece...my own opinions with no external links.

September 11th, 2006

This has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats, Liberals or Conservatives... because it deals with all of us in one way or another. Why All of us? Because hate effects all of us.

Five years ago today, a horrific act of hate was preformed upon not just the United States, but upon all of us, black, white, rich, poor, straight, gay, Christian, Jewish, Muslim...all of us. In many ways upon the good Muslims most of all because it was their faith that has been hijacked and perverted.

All of the great teachers; Moses, Zoreaster, Buddha, Krishna, Christ, Muhammad, Baha'u'llah, all of them have enjoined us to reject hate, to turn our hearts to love, to compassion, to mercy.

The acts that were preformed that day were deep and profound twisting of the teachings of Islam from community and service to God, into acts of rabid egotism and hatred.

If there is a God who wants such hatred and bloodshed as some, and not just Muslims either, (There are so-called Christians who get indecently excited over the idea of an end of days and how those who do not believe as they do, will suffer) seem to believe, then he is not my God.

My God has taught me that without compassion we are no better than our prejudices.

My God has taught me that there is no greater act than love and forgiveness.

My God has taught me that revenge is no better than the act that sparked it.

I will not place blame on one party or another or one politics or another for this tragedy except to say that to make political hay from it, in my book disqualifies the politician who does it from my vote. To do so exposes them to be callow, without compassion or mercy and soulless.

We are now engaged in a so-called war on terror...sadly though it is a vain and short sighted war. Understandable perhaps but still wrong. You cannot wage in a war against ideas with bullets and bombs. It just does not work. Blood and tears produces nothing but more blood and tears. Hate fuels nothing but hate. And it is hate that sparked the terrorist movement to begin with.

The sad reality is that our government, and the corporations for which it serves, policies in the middle-east and elsewhere have fueled a deep and abiding resentment for, not just the government of the United States, but the west in general. The major features of those policies over the past 100+ years have been colonization, exploitation and manipulation for the colonizers gain and the population be damned. The United States did not start this, but we have become in so many ways the heirs to not only British imperialism, but the west in general that the resentment is passed on to us. Our cold war support of Saddam Hussein, the Shah of Iran and The royal despotic families of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia among others, have not helped matters either. You can deny these truths but that does not change the truth of them. Add to that our unwavering support of Israel against the peoples of Palestine and we have unwittingly created a very toxic brew.

To say that the terrorists hate our freedoms or that they are a danger because they are trying to re-establish the caliphate is so simplistic it is a wonder that anybody with any inkling of social or cultural history would fall for it. Put bluntly, they don't give a damned about our freedoms, they resent our actions...pure and simple. BUT if you accept that as a truth then it follows that to prevent anymore attacks, we would have to critically examine our actions... and as the team Bush has pointed out..."They don't do nuance." As for the caliphate and its empire being re-established, that is just plain laughable... nationalism is too far along to allow anything like that from ever being established again, and I am sure even Osama Bin Laden doesn't even believe that little bit of rhetoric.

I have no idea how to combat terrorism though I instinctively feel that military action is the wrong approach. After all how can you fight men without a country except to violate the rights of the countries they hide in? And when we do that, we fuel more resentments...and so it goes. The European approach of treating them as criminals is probably much more effective in the long run.

There are those who will laugh at this but until we start addressing the global issues that fuel these hatreds and resentments and start behaving as good citizens of the world instead of taking the stance of "The world is mine oyster whom with this sword I do open" then nothing is going to change. After all these are not clash of civilization issues or America against the terrorists issues, but at the most fundamental level, they are global issues.

I wrote the following on 9/11/01

Oh GOD,
what have we done
to this world
and our souls?
Show us your hand;
let your love,
your mercy rain
down upon us.
Please O Lord:
I beg you,
peace.

amen

It still rings true.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by grover]

[edit on 11/9/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Though I do not want to be part of a "On World Anything," Very well worded and eloquent.

Semper

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
What a beautiful thought about that day which will forever be in our hearts and seared into our memories.

There were people of all nationalities and backgrounds who died that day. Those people who died were connected in one way or another to all of us. There were many ethnic backgrounds walking down and among those halls. They worked there, some lived there, and it was their world.

There was no distinction as to survivors based on political point of view, religious background, or colour. There were Muslims, Christians, Jews and many other cultural backgrounds who lost their lives that day. That in itself we should remember is that all of us black, white, rich, poor, Jew, Muslim, Christian, or any other cultures that I haven't mentioned shared in the same tragedy. Instead of uniting us in war; it should unite us in peace. I think the best way to make their tragic deaths meaningful isn't through hatred and violence, but through love, tolerance and forgiveness.

It was a handful of people who took the lives of many, but let us not forget that they didn't segregate who they destroyed. My brother has a brother-in-law that knew the stewardess on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvannia. I would think knowing what I have heard about her that she would have even forgiven those who took her life. So now is the time to forgive and although we may never forget; we must learn from their ultimate sacrifice and the price they paid to learn to live in peace.

new topics

join