It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the world been highjacked by the US military

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iblis
I will admit, and agree with you that these things in large doses are unhealthy, since any negative effects they had at first, are multiplied by the amount they are used in.

However, saying this, anyone who thinks to tell me 'they saw' a 'program' where the geiger was spiking near-depleted uranium, first:

a. Needs to stop spurting metaphorical '#' from their mouths.

b. Needs to understand why it is referred to as 'depleted'.

Even if the air had been saturated, as much as an actual combat scene can be, with DU-particles, they do not release enough radiation at a time for it to have been dangerous. It's when the stuff infiltrates into your respiratory, or digestive track, and it has times to release radiation from inside your body, that things become.. shall we say, troublesome.

Edit: I think everyone knew why it's referred to as 'Uranium'. But I meant why is it 'depleted'. XD

[edit on 8-10-2006 by Iblis]

Ill let you in on the little bit of information that its not 'metaphorical # '

but wait until I post pictures, and details of the minutes so u can take back your words.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Further-- Saying that you don't have any evidence only because the U.S. government won't allow it won't win you brownie points. That doesn't mean you've won anyone over, it doesn't prove anything but your inability to find evidence.

One last thing -- Even if you were covered in DU, in a cell, the amount of radiation released is so incredibely minimal that the geiger counter, though certainly active, would hardly be having a fit.

I guess from what you have said further down in this thread that you were or are in Iraq at one point. Either you have been kept in the dark regards to DU or possibly purposefully attempting to deny DU's long/short term affects.
From what Agit8ed said, I too have seen a Documentary where a famous Blogger from Iraq went out to the rusted tank hulks sitting near peoples houses with a geiger counter that went berserk in readings, and not only had people been ripping apart these rusted hulks to be sold as scrap metal to make things to be used in peoples houses, but also being used by children as a sort of Jungle Gym play area.

You may play at the Sci-Fi routine and say its made up but its you people over there handling this stuff that is being mislead with Sci-Fi stories. The people using this stuff are being used as toxic waste disposal units disposing of our spent nuclear waste.

Here is a site Founded by Ramsey Clark, Former U.S. Attorney General:
www.iacenter.org...

Many articles there by your peers that served in Iraqi War I and Iraqi War II

Heres a sample

Four soldiers from a New York Army National Guard company serving in Iraq are contaminated with radiation likely caused by dust from depleted uranium shells fired by U.S. troops, a Daily News investigation has found.
They are among several members of the same company, the 442nd Military Police, who say they have been battling persistent physical ailments that began last summer in the Iraqi town of Samawah.

"I got sick instantly in June," said Staff Sgt. Ray Ramos, a Brooklyn housing cop. "My health kept going downhill with daily headaches, constant numbness in my hands and rashes on my stomach."

A nuclear medicine expert who examined and tested nine soldiers from the company says that four "almost certainly" inhaled radioactive dust from exploded American shells manufactured with depleted uranium.

Laboratory tests conducted at the request of The News revealed traces of two manmade forms of uranium in urine samples from four of the soldiers.

New York Daily News

All humans have at least tiny amounts of natural uranium in their bodies because it is found in water and in the food supply, Dietz said. But natural uranium is quickly and harmlessly excreted by the body.

Uranium oxide dust, which lodges in the lungs once inhaled and is not very soluble, can emit radiation to the body for years.

"Anybody, civilian or soldier, who breathes these particles has a permanent dose, and it's not going to decrease very much over time," said Dietz, who retired in 1983 after 33 years as nuclear physicist. "In the long run ... veterans exposed to ceramic uranium oxide have a major problem."

Critics of DU have noted that the Army's view of its dangers has changed over time.

Before the 1991 Persian Gulf War, a 1990 Army report noted that depleted uranium is "linked to cancer when exposures are internal, [and] chemical toxicity causing kidney damage."

It was during the Gulf War that U.S. A-10 Warthog "tank buster" planes and Abrams tanks first used DU artillery on a mass scale. The Pentagon says it fired about 320 tons of DU in that war and that smaller amounts were also used in the Serbian province of Kosovo.

In the Gulf War, Army brass did not warn soldiers about any risks from exploding DU shells. An unknown number of G.I.s were exposed by shrapnel, inhalation or handling battlefield debris.

Some veterans groups blame DU contamination as a factor in Gulf War syndrome, the term for a host of ailments that afflicted thousands of vets from that war.

People here in the USA are constantly talking about terrorists and dirty bombs...well it doesn't bother anyone that we are leaving our own trail of dirty bombs all over the place...hundreds of tons of it.

Pie

[edit on 8-10-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Back to the original topic,

I think the original poster failed to recognize that it's not the military, but the mititary-indistrial complex that is taking our tax money and spending it on all kinds of "research". research which not only includes technological studies, but "research" that includes hookers and drinks, and drugs and payoffs for the right people so that they can continue to rip off the American people for their so-called "black-project research". Its just the way the machine works - that's all.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well if people are mishandling government property, throwing it around themselves, and it contains trace dust of DU, of course there's going to be public illness. Though calling the use of DU criminal -- I believe it was in this thread that, that was said -- Is pointless when people clothe themselves in the material, then complain about feeling ill.

Also -- Still waiting on actual findings..

Also, DU is an entirely incompatable comparison with dirty-bomb material.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by Iblis]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Also, DU is an entirely incompatable comparison with dirty-bomb material.

it's spreading radioactive particles by conventional means, so if as much as 70% of a DU projectile burns to fine dust upon impact it is a small scale 'dirty bomb', obviously. DU per se may not be that radioactive, but its contaminants are, metal toxicity cannot be ignored either and all of these effects won't go away anytime soon.

On top of that, i find it irrational and stupid to fire nuclear fuel at your enemy, breeding U-238 to Pu-239 makes swell bomb grade fuel, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Depleted Uranium cannot be used as nuclear fuel.
Just a slight FYI. :]

Also, only in extremely, extremely rare cases would 70% of a DU, Self-Sharpening AT weapon burn. Much less, would the particles escape the interior of a tank.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
U238 can catch a neutron and convert to Pu239, this is the basis of the breeder reactor which is designed to use the resulting plutonium for fuel, effectivley consuming abundant U238.

it never took off for power plants but the same cannot be said for military grade nuclear fuel.

www.world-nuclear.org...
Plutonium is a by-product of the fission process in nuclear reactors, due to neutron capture by uranium-238 in particular. When operating, a typical LWR nuclear reactor contains within its uranium fuel load about 325 kilograms of plutonium, with plutonium-239 being the most common isotope. Pu-239 is fissile, yielding much the same energy as the fission of a U-235 atom, and complementing it.

so, if anyone with a centrifuge and enough resources for a crude reactor gets hold of the army's 'gifts' they will probably be converted to bombs.

sounds like a loophole to me.

PS:'contained inside the tank (target)' what a load of rubbish, an exploded, perforated tank with a blown off turret is by definition leaky as a sieve and i don't care how rare impact vaporisation of DU penetrators is, fact is DU urns now imagine what exploding ammunitions and fuel will do to what's left of the sabot...

www.aeronautics.ru...
Dr. Loewenstein mentions that "large pieces of uranium oxidize rapidly in a long-lasting fire whenever they are heated in the air to a temperature of about 500 C".3 A report by the Amsterdam-based Laka Foundation

the numbers may be a bit off, see

www.earthisland.org...
The BBC noted, however, that "DU is known to vaporize into a spray of burning dust on striking a hard object." As the Journal's report revealed, tests by the Battelle Laboratory demonstrated that DU begins to oxidize at 350 C and starts to burn on its own at 700 C.

need i say more?

[edit on 11-10-2006 by Long Lance]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join