It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Mt Aerobus in Antarctica erupts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If Mt Aerobus was to erupt will it help prevent arctic melting at least in the interm for one of its summers there will be no sunlight and so the ice will just build and build. Also would an eruption at the Volcanoe cause significant changes to the global weather system (since its located in the south pole I dont know if it would cause something different to happend globally)?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I don't think it will have any effect unless it's a super-eruption. Also keep in mind why Antarctica is covered with ice. Antarctica used to have alligators and pine trees. The ocean current that swirls around Antarctica creates a cooling effect. It deflects warm streams of water coming from the equator. Once there was a landbridge from Antarctica to South America preventing the ocean current from swirling around Antarctica the way it does today.

If you want to melt the ice, plug that hole and create a new landbridge or something. Block the ocean current from swirling around Antarctica. But I guess that won't be so easy. It might also have other undesirable effects as the ocean current will have to go another way. It would probably mess up the whole system...

The Transformation Of Antarctica

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I dont know.
sounds cool...let it erupt and lets see what happens.

Antartica is a fascinating place...quarters to the elite of the world.

Peace

Dalen

[edit on 11-9-2006 by dAlen]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Mount Erebus has been continually active since 1972 - ie there are frequent eruption there. And no, it's having no impact on climate change globally or in Antarctica.

en.wikipedia.org...

To have any long lasting impact on global climates we'd need something like Yellowstone to erupt ....

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Essan,

In regards to the supervolcanoe in yellowstone, we know its there we know it is potentially a very serious threath. Why dont we construct a geothermal generator over it I mean create energy and at the same time by drilling holes wont we actually relieve pressure and buildup. I mean what possible reasons have people come up with for not doing this already, besides the ridiculousness of it being a park since a geothermal generator is a lot cleaner than other powerplants.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
Essan,

In regards to the supervolcanoe in yellowstone, we know its there we know it is potentially a very serious threath. Why dont we construct a geothermal generator over it I mean create energy and at the same time by drilling holes wont we actually relieve pressure and buildup. I mean what possible reasons have people come up with for not doing this already, besides the ridiculousness of it being a park since a geothermal generator is a lot cleaner than other powerplants.

I've often thought that geothermal energy makes a lot of sense. Most of Iceland's electricity iis derived that way. Not really thought about using Yellowstone before. But I found this which you might be interested in:

serc.carleton.edu...

It's an educational site about Yellowstone, with links to other sites related to geothermal energy

new topics

top topics

join