It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA officers worried about litigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
It has been reported that increasing numbers of CIA officers have taken out personal insurance plans to cover any civil judgments and legal cost's if they are sued with criminal wrongdoing. The increasing numbers taking out these personal insurance plans points to worries at the CIA that their officers may be targets of torture, abuse and human rights accusations in the light of reports of secret CIA prisons where "harsh interrogation methods" were reportedly used.

www.washingtonpost.com
CIA counterterrorism officers have signed up in growing numbers for a government-reimbursed, private insurance plan that would pay their civil judgments and legal expenses if they are sued or charged with criminal wrongdoing, according to current and former intelligence officials and others with knowledge of the program.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In todays ever increasingly Litigious world is it any wonder that these men are forced to take out personal insurance? especially when goverments are renowned for using scapegoats in cases like this to cover their own backs. It must surely raise the question of why people join our security services and military when they are likely to be abandoned by their goverment at the first sign of trouble

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well, maybe, rather than taking out insurance, they could consider not breaking the law and ethics.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
If they cannot break the law, they should close CIA... because they break it several times everyday... in a lot of countries. To be able to do what they do, they are constraint to break laws...so if they want to be legal, they should just close it.

A congressional report states that the CIA engage in highly illegal activities at least 100.000 times a year.

In 96, the House of Representatives Permanent Select Comittee on Intelligence release a huge report entitled IC21:The Intelligence Community in the 21st century. In one of the pages it states that ``A safe estimate is that several hundred times every day (easily 100.000 times a year) Directorate of Operations officers engage in highly illegal activities (according to foreign law) that not only risk political embarrassment to the US but also endanger the freedom if not lives of the participating foreign nationals and, more occasionally, of the clandestine officer himself.

I mean, what's the meaning of CIA if not doing everything to get information and doing ``things`` for the US?

Ox

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Nygdan said it best.. If they're that worried then why do it? It seems that everyone is getting edgy regarding this, the Bush administration is trying to pass a bill that would ease interrogation limits with the CIA.. I'll shamelessly plug my thread on this subject here: Bill would ease Interrogation Limits

If Bush isnt worried about the CIA or himself being charged with war crimes then why are they starting to TRY to protect themselves? This is something that needs to be watched closely

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Maby when the current climent of the world changes then these secrete prisons and harsh threatment will come to a stop because there will be no need.
Untill then I hope they will find out enough to stop everything.
And I do agree that an operative will of corse be breaking laws, I mean they are in another country for spying, of corse that very job will be against the law there.

top topics

join