It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons why I think there must be a God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
You can have as many reasons for the existence of god as you like, it still doesn't alter the fact that there still doesn't need to be a god or gods for the universe and all who sail in her to exist.
Some of the replies given are contradictory and others need the clarification of the definition of the god their on about. i.e one poster has god thinking - I thought god was Omniscient - an all knowing entity thinking, thinking about what exactly if it knows everything? Others have their god transcending time and space (I thought god was Omnipresent), just how did the universe come to be caused then? - as a cause and action requires time and god must have been doing something before the beginning of the universe.
Here's one for you, most of your gods are defined as being infinitely powerful and do alot of infinite things! If this is so then there are infinite universes (as our universe is limited in the way it functions) and therefore an infinite chance that NO god exists in this universe.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
The question, "What created God?" It only forces me to say that nothing made him.

You don't have to believe in God. All I'm saying is that at some point, something had to come out of nothing.

All it proves to me is that miracles and impossible things can happen, with or without God (or at some point they could atleast, his existence is a miracle in itself, and he couldn't have caused it before he existed).

I guess some would say that it all just started out with something, or with God. I say that if that is the case, then there was no cause leading to the effect of the start, that there was no action to bring him into existence, and we have a start coming out of nothing, and that start is something.

@ the OP- That was very cool what you said about how the universe could not go back in time for infinity, because then our time would never be reached. Very cool never considered that before. I completely agree.

I think time is only for out perception, what if time can be modified?
Would infinity mean time or size, you could say at this time the universe is infinite and not at a different time, so size as infinity meaning a infinite universe as size and time as timie being infinite are 2 different things, I dont think time to be infinite, we percive it in a way, can time be broken? for example when we sleep, we percive time in a different way, so evolution and time would be 2 different thing in the universe, i don't belive time has a begining because it has no fixed interpretation and it can be percived in different ways, shorter by some longer by others.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
One thing comes before another, there is cause and effect, all recorded things have always happened in some kind of order. That is the time I am talking about. We can dream for what seems like days, or we can fall asleep for what feels like seconds, but we wake up and snap right back into time as it truly is.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
i believe in looking for the simplest answer (unless you're trying to be comedic)

god cannot be the simplest answer, because god's inherent existence immediatly brings up at least 2 problems:

the omnipotence paradox

AND

the problem of evil

that is not simple stuff, so i tend to look for another answer

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Yes, but the thing is maybe this God that created the universe in the beginning of everything is not omnipotence, omnicient, or perfect for he doesn't have to in order to be real. I hardly believe that he's much like the God described in the bible either. Also, my definition of God just being the concience that created the universe in the begining of everything, is darn well good enough for me! The sole reason I believe God exists is because I think that the theory our living self awaresness was created initially from non living matter and energy absurd! So I much rather believe that a living concience always existed and is the source of where mine came from.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jugg
Who created god then? Surely such an intelligent and complex beeing must have a creator.

According to your silly logic it is.

This is a misunderstanding of the Cause, namely the "Principle of Causality". It is argued that if all effects must have a greater cause then who or what caused God?

The Principle though states that all finite effects must have a cause greater. In other words the finite being cannot have a finite cause, only finite causes must have a cause. God is Infinite and needs no cause for there is none greater. God then is the Uncaused cause. He is Eternal.

Critics who deny this and claim that another god could of caused our God must then create a God greater than the one revealed in Scripture. Define a greater God, list His nature and Attributes. Not an easy task.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join