It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a Pivotal Year, GOP Plans to Get Personal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Republican National Congressional Committee has announced that it will spend roughly half of their approximately $50 million dollar advertising budget to target Democratic opponents through "negative advertising" during the last 60 days of the political campaign. The majority of the ads will focus on personal issues and local controversies.

www.washingtonpost.com
The National Republican Congressional Committee, which this year dispatched a half-dozen operatives to comb through tax, court and other records looking for damaging information on Democratic candidates, plans to spend more than 90 percent of its $50 million-plus advertising budget on what officials described as negative ads.
The hope is that a vigorous effort to "define" opponents, in the parlance of GOP operatives, can help Republicans shift the midterm debate away from Iraq and limit losses this fall. The first round of attacks includes an ad that labeled a Democratic candidate in Wisconsin "Dr. Millionaire" and noted that he has sued 80 patients.

"Opposition research is power," said Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds (N.Y.), the NRCC chairman. "Opposition research is the key to defining untested opponents."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Republican hope in all of this is, of course, to limit seat losses in the House and Senate and take the heat off the GOP over Iraq and the Bush Administration handling of the war. At least they are being honest about their intentions to look for any piece of dirt on a potential Democratic threat in the coming congessional elections; they freely admit that they are looking to "control" the voting public and increase their chances for victory, thereby.

Of course, the Democrats will be doing their very best to pound the Iraq war debacle into the voting publics consciousness through their own ad campaign. Isn't politics a wonderful thing? It's such an honrable profession!.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
abcnews.go.com
www.chron.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/10/2006 by Stormrider]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Nice. So basically, its typical politics: a bunch of bashing, slander, character assasination, false accusations ect, and like 1% of time and resources spent on addressing the issues.

Is it any wonder the absolute cynicism towards politics today?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Both sides are teh suck!

Neither side is doin a hot job at winning the hearts and minds of the 20-somethin generation. I'm disguested and its a shame. Its just a game to them. I know I'm not the only one who feels the lack of representation.

I wish there were more prominent third-party figures, the other two parties are too far entrenched.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
Both sides are teh suck!

Neither side is doin a hot job at winning the hearts and minds of the 20-somethin generation. I'm disguested and its a shame. Its just a game to them. I know I'm not the only one who feels the lack of representation.

I wish there were more prominent third-party figures, the other two parties are too far entrenched.

I feel your pain, my friend; the days when Americans could reasonably expect that their elected representatives in Congress would actually represent the voters interests instead of their, (the representatives) own greed, are long since passed.
Nowadays, all we can do is hope that these Bozo's in power don't totally sell out the voters but I have to tell you, I am not very optimistic in that regard.

Ox

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wow The Republicans trying to tarnish someone's image to take the focus off of their own screw ups, convicted felons and BS!... oh.. and I thought this was alittle interesting

Politics

Politics is defined as:

use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc.

Propaganda

Propaganda is defined as:

information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Just a SLIGHT similarity there...

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow, "opposition research and negative advertising" seems to be a fine-tuning of the old digging up dirt on someone and mud slinging. The attack ad, for when you have nothing to debate.
Thanks for the warning, Stormrider. Hey, I'm gonna have some fun with this: every time an RNCC commercial comes on, I'll just point to the tv and laugh. Or wag my finger and yell, "Have you no shame?" Then I'll go vote for the opposition.

These people have no shame.
Have they no self respect and dignity either?

Ox

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Have they no self respect and dignity either?

Apparently not... That's what makes them "Politicians" that and I believe they have their spines surgically removed..
The fact is that ad bashing has been around for ages.. and it's just gotten completely out of control... Here's something that the Democrats need to be doing.. it's dirty but it would probably win them just about every seat... Unfortunately lately there has been some TERRIBLE remarks made by quite a few Republicans about races.. and racial slurs.. Perhaps if the Democrats "reminded" the population of those slurs in their ad campaigns it might just turn the tide.... Dirty. but it would probably work

df1

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
Politics

Politics is defined as:

use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc.

A political science professor of mine defined "politics" as "the art of getting what you want and making others like it". By his standard both parties are doing a pretty lousy job on the "making others like it" part of the equation.

The GOP and its "faux patriot" supporters can praddle on, but it is not going to make a lot of difference in the november elections. The american public is acutely aware of the fact that their dollars are not going as far as they did prior to republicans taking control of excutive branch and congress and they will vote for the democrats in large numbers as a result. However until we place severe restrictions on corporate political influence it doesnt make a damn bit of difference which party is in power when both are owned by the same corporations.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by df1]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
THIS MAKES ME SICK!

sorry for the 1 liner mods, but it had to be done even at the expense of my ATS points.

Ox

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
How very true... Politics and Big business have NO business being together.. But unfortunately they are so dependant on one another right now if they were to be separated the system would more than likely fail..

I dont know what could be done to "fix" the problem.. Other than stop the advertising and we all know that wont happen. My point in my previous post was that "Politics" and "Propaganda" have VERY similar meanings.. and could be construed as the same thing....

The two party governing system is obselete.. If someone wishes to run, they should be made to run as an independant, with their own beliefs and values and not those of "Parties" this would also lower the risk of "Party loyalties"...

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Lock both sets of buggers, republicans and democrats (and that is not to say anything bad about buggers, some of my best friends are buggers) in the superdome and whomever emerges victorious...shoot them.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by grover]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
A political science professor of mine defined "politics" as "the art of getting what you want and making others like it".

That sounds more like the definition of public relations. Politics is just propaganda, that would be my definition, too, Ox.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Lock both sets of buggers, republicans and democrats (and that is not to say anything bad about buggers, some of my best friends are buggers) in the superdome and whomever emerges victorious...shoot them.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by grover]

LOL, I love that Grover. I think there are probably very few honest politicians anywhere.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
50 million dollar advertising budget, I wonder who the wealthy donors of such campaign would be.

I am more interested to find out who is behind the propaganda more than anything else, that will give the American people an idea of who the lobbyist in Washington are working for to keep the GOP in congress majority.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
I dont know what could be done to "fix" the problem.. Other than stop the advertising and we all know that wont happen. My point in my previous post was that "Politics" and "Propaganda" have VERY similar meanings.. and could be construed as the same thing....

The two party governing system is obselete.. If someone wishes to run, they should be made to run as an independant, with their own beliefs and values and not those of "Parties" this would also lower the risk of "Party loyalties"...

I couldn't agree more. If I were interested in running for congress or local legislature (which I am not), the last thing I would want to be labeled is a politician
I also agree about the two party system; let each candidate for office declare his own platform and ideals so that the voting public has a "real" choice.

Ox

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'd say that $50 million advertising budget comes from the tax HIKES we all experienced.. Well.. not all of us.. the million and billionaires all got tax breaks.. cause you know.. they need it..

It's still a disgrace.. it's just terror.. on a smaller scale.. scare the people into not voting or for voting for someone... It's ridiculous.. Do away with the two party system, it's obselete... Dont let them advertise.. Let the people go out and RESEARCH who they are going to vote for... Let the American people do their homework and find out the truth.. or.. MORE of the truth than they would in a crummy commercial

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If the Democrats are smart, they'll push this bit of news right up until the election.

Both parties pull this kind of stuff, but I have to say I'm shocked that the Republicans are openly boasting about it. It betrays a level of cynicism that's alarming in itself.

Ox

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It betrays professionalism, I mean yeah they're politicians and they're out for themselves.. but they should still be professional about it. This is just another reason NOT to vote Republican, they are cocky, arrogant fat old men in suits sucking on cigars that your tax dollars bought... And they're laughing in your face while theyre doing it..

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox

Let the people go out and RESEARCH who they are going to vote for... Let the American people do their homework and find out the truth.. or.. MORE of the truth than they would in a crummy commercial

Agree and if they can't prove they actually did some research then they don't get to vote. Somehow I don't think the democrats would go for your proposal (with my addendum), but the republicans might.

Ox

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I doubt the Republicans would go for it, they would deem it unpatriotic to not be able to represent their country in a free and democratic manner.. I hate to say it but that's the truth. Back home (Australia) it is mandatory to vote, I believe it should be here too. People who dont vote yet complain have no right to complain, go vote, let your voice be heard... I also believe that there should be a paper trail kept for all votes. Touch screens should be banned, but I'm sure they will be leading up to the next Presidential elections. Or possibly after the November elections if the Democrats win in a landslide

[edit on 11-9-2006 by Ox]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join