It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom For All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Freedom is attractive without a doubt. Then why is there so much resistance here in our country to the United States bringing freedom to the Middle East?
Could it be because we are comfortable, relaxed in our freedom? So easy to sit in a mansion and look down on the peasants and make decisions for the "good" of the masses. It would seem the masses are making their own decisions and they are choosing freedom.

More Muslims Arrive in U.S., After 9/11 Dip

America’s newest Muslims arrive in the afternoon crunch at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Their planes land from Dubai, Casablanca and Karachi. They stand in line, clasping documents. They emerge, sometimes hours later, steering their carts toward a flock of relatives, a stream of cabs, a new life.

“I got freedom in this country,” said Ms. Fatima, 25. “Freedom of everything. Freedom of thought.”

Immigrants from predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East, North Africa and Asia are planting new roots in states from Virginia to Texas to California.

In 2005, more people from Muslim countries became legal permanent United States residents — nearly 96,000 — than in any year in the previous two decades. More than 40,000 of them were admitted last year, the highest annual number since the terrorist attacks, according to data on 22 countries provided by the Department of Homeland Security.

“America has always been the promised land for Muslims and non-Muslims,” said Behzad Yaghmaian, an Iranian exile and author of “Embracing the Infidel: Stories of Muslim Migrants on the Journey West.” “Despite Muslims’ opposition to America’s foreign policy, they still come here because the United States offers what they’re missing at home.”
NYT

It would appear that even though Muslims are vehemently opposed to our policies and our ability of expression, they continue to desire and gravitate towards our society.

If the many detractors of our efforts in the Middle East are correct in their assumptions that the majority of Middle Easterners are so against our presence there, then why are they migrating here in these numbers?

It would seem that every indicator is directly pointing to the necessity for what we are trying to accomplish in Iraq. The evidence all supports the facts that people desire freedom overall.

Perhaps we should continue to assist them in that endeavor.

Semper

[edit on 9-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
What is the meaning of freedom for you Semperfortis?

because in order to understand what our nation is offering to the middle east you must understand what the meaning of freedom is and if we in American are truly free.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Marg

You know that I do not subscribe to the doom and gloom conspiracy that we have "lost" all of our rights or any of that other nonsense.

Freedom, for me, is turning on my Television and watching the KKK parade down some street in the US and hating all that they stand for, yet knowing that every day I put that uniform on, I go out to defend their right to say it.
Watching Muslims gather in NY with signs that make me cry for peace, yet knowing I will take a bullet to make sure they can continue.

Semper

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So it surprises you that your version of freedom, which is to allow racist hate groups to parade around, being forced on another country is experiencing a little resistance?

There's a lot more to freedom than what you can say in public.

Who is to decide what 'freedom' is and who should decide that that version of 'freedom' should be militarily forced on another?

Only the individual can decide for themselves what freedom is to them.

Freedom cannot be forced on another, if it is then it's not freedom.

How can the war in the Middle East be for freedom when the West has no idea what their definition of freedom is? It might be freedom to you, but not to them.

What if China decided that America needed to be invaded to liberate us from our government?

True freedom is when an individual is allowed to express and act on his own dreams and desires, taking into account natural laws, not when a government tells you what your 'freedom' is. Government tells me I'm free cause I can say what I'm saying here, but if I try to put it into practice a number of legal and financial obstacles appear.

You think you're free because you are told you are free, and you believe what you're told because you are indoctrinated to believe what you are told by any authority.
People don't realize that they are not really free at all. We constantly enslave ourselves, for financial reasons, for affection, for attention, to fit in, whatever. All these Human traits are taken advantage of and used to control us.

Money is the biggest enslavement. Everyone is a slave to money. And money is used to control your 'freedom'. But people have been indoctrinated to except the beast (money) as a necessity. We'll never be free while we are enslaved to finance, and ownership of property (read land). Someone else always owns where your feet step, and most often they don't have your best desires at heart.

It's nothing to do with Human rights being taken away. So many aspects of true freedom are so far out of reach for the majority of people. Money brings some freedom, but even that isn't true freedom. Even the rich are enslaved in the system we created.

Human desire to create is stifled in a system based on profit. Taking away that desire is not what I call freedom.

The definition of freedom will have to get narrower as times goes on. But people will still think they are free. Right now the cell doors are open, but we still can't leave the jail.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Did you read the first post?

What you responded to was only a supplemental response to another posters comments???

What a sad view on life... I'm sorry you feel that way.

Semper

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
No, I was replying to this, the first line in your post.

Originally posted by semperfortis
Freedom is attractive without a doubt. Then why is there so much resistance here in our country to the United States bringing freedom to the Middle East?

Sry if you find my view to be sad, you should. But just dismissing it is why it's only going to get worse. We can cover crap in talcom powder, but it's still crap.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This NYT article is being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your comments to the above link.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join