It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence for God

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDT

Because a perfect God must have perfect justice.

Why? Also, how does one define perfect justice in the presence of God.

i'm going to take this further

how the hell is infinite punishment for a set of finite sins JUSTICE?

it seems more like retribution

i have another train of thought i want to go on, but i need you to answer a question first lancer

do you believe in the literal, word for word interpretation of the bible?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
LancerJ1 - You keep saying that there is no error or doubt but you cant state which of the explanations for, say the death of Judas is correct or why the synoptic gospels are the same yet totally contradict each other with different endings and content.
SO you are trying to tell me that you think that the bible is completely true, every single word and letter is divinely inspired (no extra input from the authors)? Your telling me that everything in the bible actually happened the way, or ways in some cases (see above), that is stated in the bible??

I dont know which one is correct, and that doesn't matter. Lack of understanding of the Bible doesn't correlate to lack of truth in the Bible. Me not knowing which answers doesnt change the truth. Im sure there are people who believe full heartedly in one of the answers.

So which is it? Are the synoptic gospels the same or do they have different content? Nothing in them contradict. Yes, i believe the Bible is completely true, and every signle word is inspired. The bible claims this for itself. Every non-parable story is true.

by LancerJ1
There is no doubt. We know Judas died.
Well if he was alive at that time then he will be dead just like everyone else. As you said these are POSSIBLE answers but I am saying there might be more POSSIBLE answers.

Yeah, there could be. These were the highly probable answers. Do you have any more ideas?

Your basing your belief on a version of a book that has been translated, who knows how many times, and that is KNOWN to contain errors (mistranslations etc - Innerancy/infallability??????). Your also basing your belief on the interpretation of one of a multitude of christian denominations, none of which actually agree on the correct interpretation i.e what are your denominations views on abortion, homosexuality, same sex marriage, assisted suicide, divorce, hell, the rapture and a pile of other moral and ethical dilemmas? The fact that you are stating that your views are correct when there are christians out there who disagree leads me to dismiss what you say as your/your denominations interpretations, which as we see can have variable outcomes depending on denomination.

Please give me some of these known mistranslations. Im not part of any specific denomination. I believe what the Bible says about these things. I agree that not all Christians have the same beliefs, but the main thing is we all agree that Jesus is the saviour and we are all part of God's family.

Now you tell me why you dont believe in other gods and religions???? Why is your version the correct (LOL) one?

There can be only one all powerful God. I dont see any credibility in other gods. With all that i have seen and experienced, i have know doubt that my God is a living God. No other religion can meet the powers and influence that Christianity has. You and others have asked some good questions, and i have spent a long time researching for aid to answer your questions. Ive learnt a lot from these answers and i am now more convinced than ever before of God's existence. Christianity stands firm despite these oppositions and not one hole torn in it as every question has been and can be answered.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DDT

Because a perfect God must have perfect justice.

Why? Also, how does one define perfect justice in the presence of God.

I dont get what you mean? God is perfect. Therefore everything about him must be perfect. Therefore he must be perfectly just.

Because he is a God of love. He created us for his PLEASURE and to bring glory to him. He also loves creating.

If he truly is a God of love how could he possibly leave everyone in Hell to rot for eternity.

He doesn't leave everyone in Hell. You can choose not to go to Hell if you believe in Jesus.

The fact that they do happen is how He has foreknowledge of them.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. If he has foreknowledge of them and he allows these events and choices to take place then He knows every outcome of all choices. How is that free will.

I cant really explain it any better. God can see history from beginning to end. If there are two doors in front if you, and you walk through one, God will know which one you will walk through by observing the future, but he can only observe you walking through that door in the future due to the fact that that is the door you walked through.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i'm going to take this further

how the hell is infinite punishment for a set of finite sins JUSTICE?

it seems more like retribution

Because sin is an infinite transgression against God.

Understand, Hell isnt a place that God sends people. It is a place people choose. God has provided enough evidence of his existence to believe in him. The Bible teaches that God works in the lives of people to draw them to a relationship with him.

i have another train of thought i want to go on, but i need you to answer a question first lancer

do you believe in the literal, word for word interpretation of the bible?

Not for everything. Some things were parables. But for everything that claims to be true, yes.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LancerJ1
Lack of understanding of the Bible doesn't correlate to lack of truth in the Bible. Me not knowing which answers doesnt change the truth. Im sure there are people who believe full heartedly in one of the answers.
So which is it? Are the synoptic gospels the same or do they have different content? Nothing in them contradict. Yes, i believe the Bible is completely true, and every signle word is inspired. The bible claims this for itself. Every non-parable story is true.
Lack of understanding doesnt mean that the Bible IS true.
The synoptic gospels are the same in phrases etc but differ slightly in their 'facts', How many contradictions would you like? eg
How many generations were there between Abraham to David? 13 or 14?
Who was the father of Joseph? Heli or Jacob?
Was Jesus taken to Egypt as a child? Matthew says yes and Luke says, no which is it?

by LancerJ1
There is no doubt. We know Judas died.
Well if he was alive at that time then he will be dead just like everyone else. As you said these are POSSIBLE answers but I am saying there might be more POSSIBLE answers.

Yeah, there could be. These were the highly probable answers. Do you have any more ideas?
Yes maybe it never happened at all and the story is there as a moral/ethical statement. Or maybe the Gospel of Judas is the truth.

Please give me some of these known mistranslations. Im not part of any specific denomination. I believe what the Bible says about these things. I agree that not all Christians have the same beliefs, but the main thing is we all agree that Jesus is the saviour and we are all part of God's family.

Mistranslations (depending on bible version) - the old favourite of 'alma' being translated into 'virgin'. According to one site (the name of which escapes me but it is a christian site) the Revised Standard Version has over 1100 deliberate mistranslations, deltions and perversions. There are quite a few in other versions - you just have to look for them.

Now you tell me why you dont believe in other gods and religions???? Why is your version the correct (LOL) one?

There can be only one all powerful God. I dont see any credibility in other gods. With all that i have seen and experienced, i have know doubt that my God is a living God. No other religion can meet the powers and influence that Christianity has. You and others have asked some good questions, and i have spent a long time researching for aid to answer your questions. Ive learnt a lot from these answers and i am now more convinced than ever before of God's existence. Christianity stands firm despite these oppositions and not one hole torn in it as every question has been and can be answered.

There doesn't have to be ANY god. I do know however that belief is based (not solely) on experience, understanding and external pressures e.g. family, peer, social, economic etc. Your experiences have led you to believe in the existence of a god while I on the otherhand are the opposite - I do not need any god to exist nor believe that one/many could,did or will exist.

But you are wrong in your assumption that the bible/christianity can answer all questions - the bible at times is very vague in its explanation, contains archaeological anomalies or as I have shown contradictory evidence. Also the evidence given for the above is sometimes created to fit the bible story eg the trinity.

G

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Shihalud,
You are rght in that there is no trinity. God is one. The confusion comes from Catholocism, mainly but also deliberate mistranslations of the Sacred Name.
It was stated earlier (maybe by you, don't remember) that there are over 1100 deliberate mistranslations in the Bible and you are correct. Almost all of them are in regards to God/Lord/Jehovah, etc. These are titles, not a name.

Madness,
You, also are correct, and righteously indignant it seems, to be expected to believe in a place of eternal torment for sinners. Again, Roman Catholocism came up with that jewel but it is nowhere found in the Bible and the few verses that seem to show a place of eternal torment are either parables or symbology.

These are really topics for another thread and i don't want to hijack this one-just wanted to clear that up.

Thank you. Carry on.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

The synoptic gospels are the same in phrases etc but differ slightly in their 'facts', How many contradictions would you like? eg
Was Jesus taken to Egypt as a child? Matthew says yes and Luke says, no which is it?

Where does it say 13?

This will clear up the Heli/Jacob problem:
www.mountainretreatorg.net...

And the Egypt problem: www.lookinguntojesus.net...

Yes maybe it never happened at all and the story is there as a moral/ethical statement. Or maybe the Gospel of Judas is the truth.

Believe that if you will, but that opposes logic. The Gospel of Judas has absolutely no credibility. It is simply a heretical forgery by gnostics in an attempt to hijack christianity. It is lacking in historical details, social and political information, and logical narrative which the New Testaments contains. And only 1 copy has been found.

Mistranslations (depending on bible version) - the old favourite of 'alma' being translated into 'virgin'. According to one site (the name of which escapes me but it is a christian site) the Revised Standard Version has over 1100 deliberate mistranslations, deltions and perversions. There are quite a few in other versions - you just have to look for them.

At that time in Jewish culture almost unanimously all young women were virgins.

There doesn't have to be ANY god. I do know however that belief is based (not solely) on experience, understanding and external pressures e.g. family, peer, social, economic etc. Your experiences have led you to believe in the existence of a god while I on the otherhand are the opposite - I do not need any god to exist nor believe that one/many could,did or will exist.

Than that is where your problem is. You dont believe because you think you dont need God. You dont want there to be a God.

But you are wrong in your assumption that the bible/christianity can answer all questions - the bible at times is very vague in its explanation, contains archaeological anomalies or as I have shown contradictory evidence. Also the evidence given for the above is sometimes created to fit the bible story eg the trinity.

In your eyes maybe, but not in mine. As i said before it would be impratical if the Bible went into detail for every explanation. It contains only what is required.

www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Because sin is an infinite transgression against God.

Understand, Hell isnt a place that God sends people. It is a place people choose. God has provided enough evidence of his existence to believe in him. The Bible teaches that God works in the lives of people to draw them to a relationship with him.

WHERE is the evidence
i still don't see it
i even spent a good 2 years of my life looking for evidence for the existance of god

i'm from a state in the USA known as the "show me state"
so please, show me

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

WHERE is the evidence
i still don't see it
i even spent a good 2 years of my life looking for evidence for the existance of god

so please, show me

Everything i have given so far in this thread for starters. What type of evidence were you looking for and expecting? Have a read of these.

www.probe.org...
www.tcc.org.au...
www.allaboutcreation.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
How about we're all living in God's dream? We rise, we fall, we rise again. Every time we rise it's like strawberry fields. We live eternally in this wheel. The purpose of life is to eat, drink and be merry. There is no Hell, because there is no reason to eternally punish someone who didn't know what was going on. They can be reborn and learn their lesson again. Given an infinite amount of time, we'll all exist once again.

That's why the supposed past, advanced civilizations leave no trace of their existence.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Heaven and Hell are states of mind, and where we're going it'll be pretty easy to be in a Heavenly state of mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Where does it say 13?
Well I suppose on how you count them! But it doesnt matter as Timothy 1:4 says 'Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.' so basically the genealogies mean nothing.

This will clear up the Heli/Jacob problem:
Sorry but nowhere in the bible does it mention that Heli was Mary's father in fact an apocryphal text names Mary's father as Joachim.

And the Egypt problem: www.lookinguntojesus.net...
Fanciful explanation but as the author says

Consider the following explanation of the events from the birth of Christ until His return to Nazareth from Egypt.
However since Luke states that jesus was born at a different time than Matthew, one during herod reign and the other after, I think we still have a problem

Believe that if you will, but that opposes logic. The Gospel of Judas has absolutely no credibility. It is simply a heretical forgery by gnostics in an attempt to hijack christianity. It is lacking in historical details, social and political information, and logical narrative which the New Testaments contains. And only 1 copy has been found.
And belief in an omniwhatever god is LOGICAL????. I never said it was the truth but only an explanation - and christians haven't hijacked bits of other religions?, might I remind you of christmas and easter

At that time in Jewish culture almost unanimously all young women were virgins.
And?????? Thats not what the original text says, no virgins mentioned there. I take it as well all the prostitutes (quite a few in the bible) were old widowers??

Than that is where your problem is. You dont believe because you think you dont need God. You dont want there to be a God.
Its not a problem, maybe for you that seems to have a need for people to believe. I dont need a god, Ive got on well enough until now without one so why should I need one now??

In your eyes maybe, but not in mine. As i said before it would be impratical if the Bible went into detail for every explanation. It contains only what is required.

www.gotquestions.org...
If it went into detail then it would answer every question but as it is its full contradictions and errors that have been proven wrong eg the earth being here for about 6000 years - absolute nonsense.

G

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

WHERE is the evidence
i still don't see it

so please, show me

Everything i have given so far in this thread for starters. What type of evidence were you looking for and expecting? Have a read of these.

www.probe.org...
www.tcc.org.au...
www.allaboutcreation.org...

90% of that is just arguments
the rest is intelligent design propaganda

so, you're using the theory of intelligent design to prove the existence of a being that the theory rests on

quite cyclical, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Well I suppose on how you count them! But it doesnt matter as Timothy 1:4 says 'Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.' so basically the genealogies mean nothing.

This will clear up the Heli/Jacob problem

Sorry but nowhere in the bible does it mention that Heli was Mary's father in fact an apocryphal text names Mary's father as Joachim.

Im no bible expert or theologian so i dont know everything, and these matters are insignificant to me. There are answers to these questions and im sure you could find these yourself if you wanted to know them. You think just because you have found something that doesn't make sense to you that it prooves Christianity is false.

And belief in an omniwhatever god is LOGICAL????. I never said it was the truth but only an explanation - and christians haven't hijacked bits of other religions?, might I remind you of christmas and easter

Why is an omniwhatever god illogical?

Your answer is here www.probe.org...

And?????? Thats not what the original text says, no virgins mentioned there. I take it as well all the prostitutes (quite a few in the bible) were old widowers??

The Virgin Mary was no longer a Virgin after she became pregnant.

Its not a problem, maybe for you that seems to have a need for people to believe. I dont need a god, Ive got on well enough until now without one so why should I need one now??

It's not about if you 'need' a god or not. It's about is there a God or not. I dont believe because i need God (although i do need him), but because God is there.

If it went into detail then it would answer every question but as it is its full contradictions and errors that have been proven wrong eg the earth being here for about 6000 years - absolute nonsense.

There are no contradictions or errors. It hasn't been proved either that the earth is older than 6000 years. Maybe creation did happen in millions of years, but i think it more likely that is was in the 6 days. Really, God could of made everything in 24 hours. I love science, it is my favourite subject, but it can and has been wrong. Many things we used to believe have been wrong such as the world being flat etc etc, so it is not difficult to believe that some of out assumptions today are wrong. The scientific evidence doesnt add up to the world being millions of years old.

www.answersingenesis.org...
www.answersingenesis.org...
www.christiananswers.net...

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   

90% of that is just arguments
the rest is intelligent design propaganda

so, you're using the theory of intelligent design to prove the existence of a being that the theory rests on

quite cyclical, isn't it?

But they are logical arguments.

Im not just using ID. In fact i know little about it.

What type of evidence are you after?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Im no bible expert or theologian so i dont know everything, and these matters are insignificant to me. There are answers to these questions and im sure you could find these yourself if you wanted to know them. You think just because you have found something that doesn't make sense to you that it prooves Christianity is false.
Just because you have found something that MAKES sense to you doesnt make it TRUE.

Why is an omniwhatever god illogical?
Because there is nothing to suggest that an omniwhatever god exists. Is it logical to suggest that a deity would create everything and then provide evidence to the contrary of its creation and existence?

LOL what a pile of B$ about three lines of crap thats meant to explain everything - you'll need to do better than that!!!

The Virgin Mary was no longer a Virgin after she became pregnant.
So Joseph WAS the father of Jesus???

It's not about if you 'need' a god or not. It's about is there a God or not. I dont believe because i need God (although i do need him), but because God is there.
There is nothing in this universe, that I can see, that would even hint at the existence of any deity. So to me god is NOT there except in the minds of the faithful

There are no contradictions or errors. It hasn't been proved either that the earth is older than 6000 years. Maybe creation did happen in millions of years, but i think it more likely that is was in the 6 days. Really, God could of made everything in 24 hours. I love science, it is my favourite subject, but it can and has been wrong. Many things we used to believe have been wrong such as the world being flat etc etc, so it is not difficult to believe that some of out assumptions today are wrong. The scientific evidence doesnt add up to the world being millions of years old.

So your saying that for a few hundred year now all geologists, geophysists and the like, that study the earth and its mechanisms are wrong even though the evidence suggests otherwise. Of course science can, has and will be wrong again. Science is a method of thought which can be easily changed with the presentation of evidence that can be repeated and verified. You base your beliefs on FAITH - a dangerous notion that cannot be verified or easily changed. You deny evidence because your faith doesn't allow you to believe or open your mind to the possibility.

No I will grant you that the evidence doesn't suggest the world to be millions of years old, more like BILLIONS of years.

G

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Just because you have found something that MAKES sense to you doesnt make it TRUE.

But if something does make sense then it is true for that person. A judgement made on the basis of a lack of evidence and understanding isnt as authoritive as a judgement made on the supply of evidence and understanding.

Why is an omniwhatever god illogical? Because there is nothing to suggest that an omniwhatever god exists. Is it logical to suggest that a deity would create everything and then provide evidence to the contrary of its creation and existence?

What would suggest that an omniwhatever god exists?

What is evidence can be a matter of opinion. Human understanding has its limits.

LOL what a pile of B$ about three lines of crap thats meant to explain everything - you'll need to do better than that!!!

Sometimes the truth is hard to accept. Um, i think there were more than 3 lines.

The father in the fleshy sense, but truly the son of God.

There is nothing in this universe, that I can see, that would even hint at the existence of any deity.

How about everything you look upon?

Miricals is one of the main hints.

So your saying that for a few hundred year now all geologists, geophysists and the like, that study the earth and its mechanisms are wrong even though the evidence suggests otherwise. Of course science can, has and will be wrong again. Science is a method of thought which can be easily changed with the presentation of evidence that can be repeated and verified. You base your beliefs on FAITH - a dangerous notion that cannot be verified or easily changed. You deny evidence because your faith doesn't allow you to believe or open your mind to the possibility.

No I will grant you that the evidence doesn't suggest the world to be millions of years old, more like BILLIONS of years.

Not exactly. Im saying they could be wrong and there is science to support this. Im happy to believe the earth is billions of years old, it makes no difference to me, or God. The only important fact for a Christian to believe is that God did create the universe.

You base your beliefs on faith to.

I have not denied evidence. True evidence is conclusive proof, and none of this you have given me. A faith that didnt allow you to accept true evidence is a false faith.

Open mind! I reckon believing in a God you cannot see is more open minded than not believing.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

But if something does make sense then it is true for that person. A judgement made on the basis of a lack of evidence and understanding isnt as authoritive as a judgement made on the supply of evidence and understanding.
Yes just like the catholic church persecuting Galileo for daring to say the sun was the centre of the solar system. What I'm trying to get at is your beliefs are no more credible than mine in the context of what we dont know or understand. Your belief in a god is the best solution in your mind while my non-belief is the best solution for me. Why does that make me wrong???

What would suggest that an omniwhatever god exists?
What is evidence can be a matter of opinion. Human understanding has its limits.
I dont know what proof would be required for me but I would know it when I saw it. I quite agree that evidence is in the eye of the beholder as we are all different and have different lives, views, understandings and beliefs but why should my understanding of the world be wrong when their is no evidence (for me) to the contrary?

Sometimes the truth is hard to accept. Um, i think there were more than 3 lines.
What? A few paragraphs on Mithras, a mention (by name only) of about 5-6 other godmen - Yeah that totally explains everything doesnt it?

The father in the fleshy sense, but truly the son of God.
So in your eyes Joseph was the biological father of jesus??? but was also the son of god? If so how do you figure that one out?

There is nothing in this universe, that I can see, that would even hint at the existence of any deity.

How about everything you look upon?

Miricals is one of the main hints.
What about everything I look at? There is no evidence other than peoples notions that a deity created all this. While I would like to believe in miracles there just isnt anything to suggest that miracles actually happen - usuallly there is more than one explanation and usually the explanation is fraud.

You base your beliefs on faith to.

I have not denied evidence. True evidence is conclusive proof, and none of this you have given me. A faith that didnt allow you to accept true evidence is a false faith.

Open mind! I reckon believing in a God you cannot see is more open minded than not believing.
I do base my beliefs on faith when I dont know as we all do. But I see no evidence to positively conclude the existence of ANY god, you have failed to provide this 'true' evidence of which you speak.
I also agree that a belief in a god is being open minded but when the things you attribute to this god are in total contradiction to the obvious then I believe this to be close minded.
I am not an atheist just to piss people off, I cannot honestly see anything that would/could account for a god, a book like the bible just doesnt do it for me.

G

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reasons why i choose not to believe...

quetzacotl was a man born from god and died for his people's sins in ancient american culture (aztec maybe?)
many other ancient cultures have a "saviour" dedicated to leading humanity to salvation through their god.

king james edited and rewrote the bible long before you ever read it and that is historical fact. what you read of the bible is a compilation of multiple old short stories.

The ancient biblical flood is present in sumerian and assyrian culture, and to the africans it is the story of how all the animals arrived in africa...

God supposedly killed (or his "angel of death" rather) tons of innocent people just because he wanted to regardless if it was his people or not he was protecting i believe taking a human life is wrong and sick (i haven't read anywhere in the bible where satan took anyone's life besides god's sick bet with satan about Job)

Again god murdered a bunch of innocent first born egyptian children just because he wanted to free some slaves...how come ancient egyptian texts never mention jews being held as slaves and then escaping?

God asked Abraham to kill his ONLY son. screw God. there is no way in hell i would ever do that for anyone. that sounds more like a cult.

Catholics, evangelists, and most other christian groups persecute and kill people for not believing what they believe (inquisition, crusades, modern day america with george bush as pope)

God says in the bible to beware of charlottans and false prophets (evangelists on television "healing people")

Christians can't even follow there own rules there evil and sick God laid out for them, why should I?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Just because you have found something that MAKES sense to you doesn't make it TRUE.

This is the single most sublime comment that I have ever read on this forum.

I may hijack it and use it in a sig

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join