It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality & Religion.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ok, so I consider myself a spiritual person. To me religion gives you limitations. And I was wondering what were other peoples views about this. And the religion I lean most towards is Taoism.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm a spiritual person, and I have the same problem with religion as well. I'm about to sart learning about the Kabbalah.

I think that it's quite possible to be a spiritual person, and not practice a certain religion. Some people feel that by practicing thier religion makes them spiritual. To each his own.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Nirvana
I'm a spiritual person, and I have the same problem with religion as well. I'm about to sart learning about the Kabbalah.

I think that it's quite possible to be a spiritual person, and not practice a certain religion. Some people feel that by practicing thier religion makes them spiritual. To each his own.

Sometimes i find mysaelf contemplating about religion. I hear people say stuff about how they went to heaven and came back alive and all, and that makes me wonder if im really choosing the right path?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I hear people say stuff about how they went to heaven and came back alive and all, and that makes me wonder if im really choosing the right path?

don't wonder about that one too much, thats just christian propaganda. anybody can say they went to heaven or hell. I am an atheist, but I have great respect for the more humble religions like buddism, taoism, deism and the like. I have great distaste for the three big brother religions christianity, Islam and judaism.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yeah, most religions have a certain person or group of persons standing between you and the Godhead to protect you from the mess you can get your stupid self into by trying to play with the big boys. So sit down, shut up, and listen and remain stupid.

If you regularly seek to know a life affirming intellegence which exists and wishes you as an individual to grow in wisdom and understanding of mankinds role and reason for existing in a material world I find that a means of communication will be established between you and this force or being that I don't have a name for.

As far as Taosism or Buddism or any of the organized teachings if they lead you to a more direct knowing of your personal relationship with "God" then there is a benefit to exploring them/it. But once you join a particular system you may limit your ability to recieve wisdom which is not part of the approved context. When working or studying within a system the nature of most of them is for you to remain exclusively in their teachings. With some execptions of course.

Another thing I have encountered numerous times is dark or life stealing forces will attempt to pass themselves as light or life affirming based to gain your trust and then slowly encorporate the true agenda or the real basis of their belief system and steal your light.
Remember that they say that true wisdom can not be transmitted in writing so that

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm a Spiritual Anarchist and believe the only way to truly find your way with the Creator of all things is to free your mind from ALL religions. Of course my beliefs pertain only to me but I still enjoy sharing them.

The question is, if you do not believe as others believe, how do you decide what you do? I also have the answer to that. I write quite a bit on the subject of human spirituality and i'd like to share a short story with you that might come in handy. It's called:

"What I Believe."

I believe it’s important to occasionally sit down and take stock in the things you believe in. Sure, its easy to list off the things you don’t believe or have discarded because your journey has taught you better, still, it’s often hard to actually list off the things that you do believe. I learned this in a fellowship discussion group long ago. Since then I’ve had to occasionally sit down and put on paper the things that have been bouncing around inside my head.

I start with the last list I made and remove the things I’ve learned to be, well, not wrong but no longer applying to me. Then I add what I’ve learned over the time since I wrote it and go from there.

It makes things allot easier when I’m asked about my beliefs as well. Rather than having to go into a drawn out explanation I can hand them the latest list. I highly recommend this to everyone.

Matter of fact, I have learned that its thru the sharing and caring we have in each others lives that we are best able to grow.

Now:

I believe that before man, before the Earth, before the beginning of time, the truth existed, it’s the only thing that has never changed. It’s the only thing that has never needed to change.

I believe that unconditional love is the greatest gift you can give to this world, And to yourself.

I believe that the path someone walks does not make him or her holy. They must make the path holy regardless of the path they have chosen.

I believe that if you can’t see god in everything, than you can’t see god in anything.

I believe that there is only one race, the human race, and we’re all in it together, whether we like it or not.

I believe that forgiveness is not a gift to the person that wronged you; Forgiveness is a gift to yourself so that you may go on with your life in peace.

I believe that even though we express ourselves individually our spirits are all a part of the same being, the one who created all things. E Pluribus Unum, Out of many (people) One (spirit).

I believe that my true reflection will never be seen in a mirror before me, but in the eyes and hearts of the people I share my life with.

I believe that each of us has only one true gift we can give to this world, the gift of ourselves. Everything else will fall away

I believe that political power in the hands of religion has always, always, led to tyranny. I also believe that political power in the hands of religion will always lead to tyranny.

I believe that I have yet to meet a person who could not teach me something, if I will only pay attention.

I believe that every religion or designated path is in itself a cult, for no other reason than it narrows your mind from the broader realities.

I believe that your soul is as unique as the fingerprints on your hand. No one knows what you have learned and of the journey which brought you here. No one that is, except you. That’s why it’s important to share.

I believe that hugs make kids grow. (And they’re not bad for adults either)

I believe that though I am but a drop in the ocean, I am still the ocean. So are you.

I believe that if your heart is at peace with the life your living and your soul is at peace with your creator, who ever you consider that creator to be, than everything else is just icing on the cake.

I believe that hate is a poison to the soul of the person that is doing the hating.

I believe that all who teach us leave a part of their soul in ours.

I believe that in our darkest and most personally damned moments there is a light shining brightly to guide us, and we never realize that till long years have given us perspective.

I believe that your life is a reflection of your perspective on it. If you go around seeing things as being terrible then they inherently will be.

I believe that I have much to learn, and I know I will enjoy every moment of learning it.

Love and light,

wupy

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Nice summerization.

I liked what you said about life being a reflection of your perspective of it.

That thought has been weighing on my mind as I have been working on the possibility of the all seeing eye as symbolizing each individual eye. Plain and simple the eye is a reflector as well as a co-creator of the light. It co-creates by allowing it's perception to transmute the data it has recieved from the experience of the light. The data input into the minds eye is in one form objectively but when seen subjectively it takes on new meaning. This in mind we are constantly transforming energy based on our own storage and retrival systems.
When we percieve our actions are a medium to move the light energy around in the world changed from it's original pure form it was before our minds tainted it.

Like breath. It goes in one way and comes out changed by our biological system.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlitenme
Ok, so I consider myself a spiritual person. To me religion gives you limitations. And I was wondering what were other peoples views about this. And the religion I lean most towards is Taoism.

When I hear someone say they are spiritual, that's just another way of saying that they have no relationship with God.

Taoism is nothing more than the worship of the sun, moon , and stars covered in the BS of duality.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

When I hear someone say they are spiritual, that's just another way of saying that they have no relationship with God.

How funny. That is the exact same feeling I get when someone starts talking about their religion.

I guess it's just a point of view.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Hi Sun Matrix, no offense but my findings of late tell me that most religions, including Chritianity who worship god on "Sun"day are also forms of Cosmic (heaven) Worship.

I wish someone could come up with a better explaination of the christian holidays corresponding to pagan holidays because they wanted to bring the pagans into the fold. I don't think they would compromise true christianity's values and principles and sacred holidays to lure believers to their church if they did it is dishonest and not very christ like. That means to me the opposite. They hid the pagan beliefs in their religion and continued practicing it in a hidden form where most people where spoon fed the lie which converted believers into sheep.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Hi Sun Matrix, no offense but my findings of late tell me that most religions, including Chritianity who worship god on "Sun"day are also forms of Cosmic (heaven) Worship.

And so why do Christians worship on "SUN"day. Have your findings told you that?
If you understood that than maybe you could grasp what's really going on.

I wish someone could come up with a better explaination of the christian holidays corresponding to pagan holidays because they wanted to bring the pagans into the fold.

Maybe you might review WHO is making this claim. Is it the same organization that changed worship of God to SUNday.

Imagine that...........Wolf in sheeps clothes.

I don't think they would compromise true christianity's values and principles and sacred holidays to lure believers to their church if they did it is dishonest and not very christ like. That means to me the opposite. They hid the pagan beliefs in their religion and continued practicing it in a hidden form where most people where spoon fed the lie which converted believers into sheep.

If you understand this then why can you still not see???????????

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Is it neccessary for someone to practice a religion in order to worship God. I believe in God, but I refuse to practice any form of "organized" religion. Since I believe in God, but don't practice a religion, I feel that would me me more spiritual as opposed to religious. That just my opinion, and when I die it goes with me. Just like yours will go with you when you pass on.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Nirvana

Is it neccessary for someone to practice a religion in order to worship God. I believe in God, but I refuse to practice any form of "organized" religion. Since I believe in God, but don't practice a religion, I feel that would me me more spiritual as opposed to religious. That just my opinion, and when I die it goes with me. Just like yours will go with you when you pass on.

That's a good explanation.

I don't practice a religion either. I only believe in the truth that Jesus is the prophesied Messiah. I have no use for religion as I understand its point of origin.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Religion is spiritual enslavement as with the other institutions (government, economy, nations, etc.) imposed on mankind in order to undermine his essence. Free your mind and you will find the truth.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlitenme

Who says you have to be religious in order to be spiritual or spiritual in order to be religious. If a Higher power is guiding you in a certain direction and that direction happens to be Taoism, and you are comfortable with this, then go with it. Become what you are meant to be. If you consider yourself spiritual, than most likely you are. Spirituality is defined by our given nature. I've known Atheist who were extremely spiritual and *place denomination here* that lacked spirit-IMO.

We are all mysterious and mystical creatures who are just trying to survive and find our way....home

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well,I am certainly spiritual,but I'm not religious at all. I do not believe that one has to congregate to be spiritual. Another thing, spiritual people have the ability to think for themselves, something I believe most religious people lack. Anyone can go to a church or synagogue and be told what they "need" to believe, it takes a spiritual person to search and find out for him/herself.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I find the term "Spiritual but not religious" a little odd. Like saying "I'm not a vegetarian, but I only eat celery". I don't know where the concept of religion as being an alternative to spirituality came from. Spirituality is generally only one part of being religious. Religion does not place the emphasis on spirituality being on top. It has a huge load of lots of other things. Religion is also about morality, unity, and a general approach to life.

It's all very well to claim to be 'spiritual' and turn down concepts of "institutions (government, economy, nations, etc.)", and harp on about being 'one with all', but if everyone was like that, the world would collapse. We live on earth, and it benefits to be a little earthly. I would disagree with the contention that spiritual people have a better capability to think than religious people. I would also say there is something decidedly unspiritual about someone who believes themself to be better than anyone else (in terms of anything from believing in superior morality to believing in superior thinking capabilities).

[edit on 29-9-2006 by babloyi]

[edit on 29-9-2006 by babloyi]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hello Friends,

I am largely in agreement with many of the ideas presented in this thread regarding spirituality and religion. Could it be possible that all of you are right?

enlightenme wrote:

Ok, so I consider myself a spiritual person. To me religion gives you limitations.

I agree with your idea that religion imposes limitations. This is the core mechanism of all religious philosophy. It was designed to lead mankind to the truth by limiting, through various means, our propensity, hence capacity to elevate thus, idolize erroneous concepts.

Seeking Nirvana wrote:

I think that it's quite possible to be a spiritual person, and not practice a certain religion.

Indeed we can. I believe more and more people are awakening to the reality of your observation as can be seen in the rapid growth and proliferation of non-sectarian religiosity or spiritualism. More and more people are beginning to see the underlying theme common to most religions. Owing to a narrowing of perspective that results from the growing cultural syncretism afforded humanity by shrinking world.

Babel Fish wrote:

I have great respect for the more humble religions like buddism, taoism, deism and the like. I have great distaste for the three big brother religions christianity, Islam and judaism.

All religions have a common source as identified by the common end they seek to achieve. Upon rigorous investigation you'll find that Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Christianity and Judaism to be nothing more than the one sublime philosophy of life culturally anthropomorphized; re-veiled to facilitate greater personal acceptance of its truth.

interestedalways wrote:

Yeah, most religions have a certain person or group of persons standing between you and the Godhead

As partially addressed previously...Mankind has no more need of a mediator. The temple veil has been torn asunder and God is now accessible to all via revelation of the spirit.

mrwupy wrote:

I'm a Spiritual Anarchist and believe the only way to truly find your way with the Creator of all things is to free your mind from ALL religions.

Amen!
It is always a good idea to keep in mind the phenomenon of religion and realize that the primal philosophical purveyors neither preened nor proselytized their philosophia but rather demonstrated it through personal interaction. A nuance bastardized by most modern exponents. Complete denial of any religious adherence is to claim your ways to be infalliable.

Sun Matrix wrote:

Imagine that...........Wolf in sheeps clothes.

The wolf doesn't know he is a wolf until he realizes that sheep don't bite!
Their is no adversary but yourself.

Travisky wrote:

Religion is spiritual enslavement as with the other institutions.

This was not always so. It only became as a result of the growing potency of human intellect coupled with the ever present lack of moral restraint. In short, religion in its original state is one of the purest expressions of the truth of reality and existence. Alas, all things of great beauty and truth are corrupted in the hands of the vulgar.

HarpStrings wrote:

We are all mysterious and mystical creatures who are just trying to survive and find our way....home

The original intent of all religion was to guide mankind to the home you speak of.

speakeroftruth wrote:

I do not believe that one has to congregate to be spiritual.

I'm really glad you believe this. I do as well.

babloyi wrote:

find the term "Spiritual but not religious" a little odd. Like saying "I'm not a
vegetarian, but I only eat celery"

And in summary, I believe your post put all things into a very real perspective. It is the veritable icing on the cake!

Kindest Regards

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I find the term "Spiritual but not religious" a little odd. Like saying "I'm not a vegetarian, but I only eat celery". I don't know where the concept of religion as being an alternative to spirituality came from. Spirituality is generally only one part of being religious.

To me,there is a large chasm between a spiritual person and a religious person. A religious person, at least in my experience, is someone who by and large have very orthodox beliefs. They seem to do very little thinking for themselves and take what their pastor spoon feeds them at face value. A spiritual person questions orthodoxy and searches on his/her own. To me, trying to compare a religious individual with a spiritual person is like trying to compare lettuce to bread, or something.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I perceive a spiritual person as one who strives to acheive perfection through virtue. Virtue is in fact, balance. Take the concept of the word "brave" for example. It's in between cowardly and foolhardy. It's balance between two extremes.

One can be virtuous without the need for a religion telling that person "if you aren't good, you're gonna go to hell!". In fact, I find it easier to strive for perfection when the end goal is self-fulfillment, rather than my motivation being the fear of an angry God.

Everyone seeks fulfillment in life. Whether they seek it through selfish means, or find fulfillment in helping others... the bottom line is we all seek the same thing. What I'm getting at here is that you don't need religion to tell you that the "good path" is more fulfilling than the "evil, selfish path".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join