It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot: It Simply Doesn't Make Sense

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I am so frustrated that no one has shot, captured or found a Bigfoot after all these years. That makes no sense to me. The entire world is probably on the lookout for these creatures by now, and yet nothing.

How do you guys (that believe) keep your beliefs alive?

By the way, I don't know if any of you are in the St. Louis area but 97.1 had a guest on the Dave Glover Show on Tuesday who said he spent Labor Day weekend looking for Bigfoot with his friend in Missouri at an undisclosed location. He claimed to have heard two of them talking and then his friend said he saw 3. But of course no one has proof as usual.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Ahem, basicly if someone shoots a bigfoot people show up and take it away, basicly if you have read the stories of people shooting a bigfoot they say that it was taken away orrrrrr they left it came back and it was gone basicly I cant belive it since there is no evidence

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dogs of War
I am so frustrated that no one has shot, captured or found a Bigfoot after all these years. That makes no sense to me. The entire world is probably on the lookout for these creatures by now, and yet nothing.

I'm not. Everyone knows that Bigfoot died when Luke Skywalker slashed his arm off with the lightsaber.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Maybe bigfoot isn't a flesh and blood creature? John Keel (among others) has put forth the theory that many cryptids may be some sort of interdimensional beings, not flesh and blood creatures. Not saying I believe that, but it would explain why none of these creatures have ever been captured. Then again, if there was really no such thing as bigfoot, that would also explain why they have never captured one.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
So it just doesn't make sense, huh?
Somehow, I think ol' Biggy would disagree.

Now, allow me to enlighten you.

The entire world is probably on the lookout for these creatures by now, and yet nothing.

Tell me, when was the last time your neighborhood went on a Bigfoot hunt? The entire world is NOT looking for these things, in fact, not very many people are.

The general populous think Bigfoot and other Cryptids are just loads of horse manure, and as a general rule, most Cryptozoologists are seperated by many, many miles. As a result, one can hardly find the manpower or resources to search for Bigfoot.

Besides, it's rediculiously easy to hide in the forest at night, espically when people AREN'T looking for you.
Yes, Bigfoot makes noise when walking through the forest, but signifcantly less then we would, not to mention if it comes near one of our houses we are usually making too much noise ourselves to hear it anyway.

I have long held the belief that ol' Biggy is a mostly nocturnal creature, which would making travelling across country easy for it. When night falls, we retire to our houses, which gives Bigfoot plenty more room to walk through.

Well, I used to question my belief's in Bigfoot as well, until a group of them decided to live within earshot of my house for a few weeks. I heard woodknocks, calls, saw twist-offs and even found some rather large droppings.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that Bigfoot doesn't exist. Not anymore.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by Voidmaster]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Just last sunday in Columbiana county in OH we were fishing on strip mine property that is well over 100 acres. We had to walk through a glade that was full of weeds about shoulder high to get to the pond we were fishing at. At about dusk we heard an eerie howl and turned back and watched a creature that was humanoid shaped standing at the far end of the glade watching us. We had to walk past there to get to where we were. The weeds came just barely up over this critters waist. It had to be around 8 or 9 feet tall!
What the hell would you think if you saw that? But wait, there's more! (had to get in the cliche'"

When facing the water there is a hill on our right side maybe 15-20 feet tall with trees growing up the hill and at the top. These trees are about 30-40 feet tall, full grown. We saw movement through the trees at the top of the hill, then another howl behind us... They were working as a team to scare us away.
We stayed because this has happened before and we were pretty certain that they wouldn't hurt us but were just trying to scare us off.
Back to fishing..... then a rock about the size of my torso comes flying over the trees to our right and lands in the pond. Do you know any way someone could throw a rock the size of a german shepherd over a 40 foot tall tree?
The fishing is now officially screwed up and these critters really don't want us here, so we left. Didn't see or hear anything on the way out. They are smart, and they are out there. I respect them, but I'm not scared. They are just trying to survive.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Considering how big, strong, and tough this creature is said to be, isn't it possible that no one has ever been able to kill it? This creature definately counts as big game. Most hunters aren't walking through the woods with the equipment to down something the equivalent of a polar bear. Most hunters are carrying smaller, lighter weapons intended for deer and such which just don't cut it. Also this creature is apparently intelligent. It surely has the intelligence to take cover when it hears a loud boom and sees the bark shatter off of a near-by tree. Encounters are so random that the chances of a skilled, heavily armed hunter running across a lone, mentally retarded sasquatch are quite slim.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hey Dogs of War,

I'm not a Bigfoot believer myself - although my brother is, and a close friend, one prone to level-headedness and common sense, claims to have had an experience. But I do believe that it is possible that they do exist. There's no natural/biological/etc. reason that Bigfoot couldn't exist, but like you the lack of tangible evidence throws up a red flag for me.

I will echo Voidmaster's comments, however. Most Americans do not go out on Bigfoot hunts. Matter of fact, most Americans' experience of the outdoors is limited to mowing their lawns, if that. I come from a fairly rural part of Southeastern Wisconsin - not exactly wilderness - and even the people who live out in the country, on farms or family plots with access to the woods, etc. seldom get out into the woods more than a couple of times a year, usually for Spring and Fall deer season.

And (IMHO) there is not reason that a Bigfoot-sized creature couldn't survive, at least in relatively small numbers - perhaps a few tens of thousands - within the continental US. Taking Alaska and Canada into account the numbers could be even higher. Throwing out another Wisconsin example, the WI Department of Natural Resources estimates that there are 10,950 black bear in the State. Now, I'm not the climb-Denali, blaze-a-trail, wrecky-recon sort, but I am fairly outdoors-y, and I am fairly well-traveled within my home state. I have never - ever - seen a black bear in the wild, all up-close-and-personal like, and it isn't for want of trying. I've heard them, I've seen the bushes move in a way which suggested a black bear, but I've never seen one.

An apples-and-oranges comparison, I know, and 2,645 people who shot a black bear last year certainly all saw at least one, but it does illustrate that even a large-ish population of large animals can survive in a fairly well-populated state. There are plenty of wild places in this country, and plenty of places for an intelligent hominid to hide.

That said, I still don't buy it.

Edited to respond to Webmonkey
Webmonkey,

As a hunter, and someone coming from a family of hunters, I feel pretty safe in telling you that I do not know, personally, a single person who would attempt to shoot a Bigfoot. Now, that's not to say those people don't exist, but they're few and far between. The common perception that hunters are out to kill anything and everything is far from the truth - although there are a few bad apples who spoil the image of hunting for all of us. Hunters, by and large, are probably the most sincerely pro-environment lot you'll ever meet.

[edit on 10-9-2006 by PhloydPhan]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
O.K...I'm with you on this one..the complete lack of real evidence makes it hard to believe that such a large creature could remain hidden for so long. I mean we've even found evidence of Giant Squid and they live down the deepest regions of the deepest oceans!

I mean some bones or something! but nope. I want to believe, but good old Mr Logic makes it hard.

For those of you who do believe, what do you think the population would be of Bigfeet?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Great story Beer_Guy.Gave me chills. I hunt and fish quite often and in the back of my mind I usually think of the possibility that Bigfoot is out there somewhere.I have heard the sounds of things moving in the woods along side of me several times.There have even been times when I felt the need to take off running,but wrote it off to my mind playing tricks on me.Who knows what is out there.New creatures are being discovered all the time.

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

Just last sunday in Columbiana county in OH we were fishing on strip mine property that is well over 100 acres. We had to walk through a glade that was full of weeds about shoulder high to get to the pond we were fishing at. At about dusk we heard an eerie howl and turned back and watched a creature that was humanoid shaped standing at the far end of the glade watching us. We had to walk past there to get to where we were. The weeds came just barely up over this critters waist. It had to be around 8 or 9 feet tall!
What the hell would you think if you saw that? But wait, there's more! (had to get in the cliche'"

When facing the water there is a hill on our right side maybe 15-20 feet tall with trees growing up the hill and at the top. These trees are about 30-40 feet tall, full grown. We saw movement through the trees at the top of the hill, then another howl behind us... They were working as a team to scare us away.
We stayed because this has happened before and we were pretty certain that they wouldn't hurt us but were just trying to scare us off.
Back to fishing..... then a rock about the size of my torso comes flying over the trees to our right and lands in the pond. Do you know any way someone could throw a rock the size of a german shepherd over a 40 foot tall tree?
The fishing is now officially screwed up and these critters really don't want us here, so we left. Didn't see or hear anything on the way out. They are smart, and they are out there. I respect them, but I'm not scared. They are just trying to survive.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
And who's to say that the government hasn't intervened and taken a captured ' big-foot ' from somebody and it has all been hushed up and silenced ?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Animals are found all the time that have been hidden from the eyes of man.

Here's a good thread: Why is it so hard to find bigfoot?

Here's a copy of my post from there which might give perspective on how a bigfoot could hide.

As for Northern Canada? Well, lets just take British Columbia is 364,764 sq. miles in size. California is 163,707 square miles, Oregon is 98,386 square miles, and then add a Wyoming 97,818 square miles and you still have room. Texas is 268,601 square miles leaving room for Michigan (96,810 square miles) or just about any other state to fit.

For you non-Americans, United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland is 94,525 sq miles which means that ONE province is more than three times the size.

Population is 3,907,738 for British Columbia (2001). Los Angeles is close to 10 million. London is just over 7 million.

Now, you think the hunt would be that easy? Consider that the almost 4 million people are almost all at the southern edge (American border) and that everything else is quite remote. Now add Alaska (586,412 square miles) which is 1/5th the size of the entire United States. Add the Yukon Territories (186,660 sq. mi.), Northwest Territories (519,734 sq mi), and Territories of Nunavut (350,000 sq mi).

Also there are the northern Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Quebec areas to consider. Searching all of the land area is highly improbable. Now consider that in recent years, new animals have been discovered in much smaller countries, that were completely unknown until the last 4-5 years. Doesn't make things so impossible that a creature with a slightly higher intellect, could not be found easily.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Beer_guy: could u smell 'em? I heard they reek something awful...

Any footprints? Hair samples? Noises? Photos? Other eye-witness accounts?

Care 2 share?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Beer_guy: could u smell 'em? I heard they reek something awful...

There was a smell in the air that was "different", but it wasn't strong enough to even try to figure out what it was.
We are going again this coming sunday, I'm bringing my digital camera this time. We are also going to pay more attention to the ground to see if we might find a track or two. Maybe I should bring a ziplock bag of plaster "just in case".

I'm considering leaving my fishing pole at home and just spend the time there looking around and taking pics, it's a beautiful place anyway.

As long as it doesn't rain I'll post sunday evening whether we saw or heard anything. Maybe some pics too.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I believe as I have posted before that BF is migratory and lives in very small family groups. Most live as deep into the wilderness as possible and IMO are most likely seen during migration patterns. I also believe there are slightly different variations in appearance based on region.

I am reminded of a story about 2 guys hunting off of there ATV's. They were going along a tree line and stopped. Rider 1 decided to eat lunch and rider 2 said he would scout ahead. As rider 1 leaned against his machine watching rider 2 get about 200 yds up the trail he heard quite a racket in the tree line between him and rider 2. As he watched, out into the open steps a BF watching rider 2 as it walked. Turning its head and noticing rider 1 was still there, it proceeded to sniff the air and then walked across the open into the slashing on the other side. This time making no sound at all and watching rider 1 as it finally disappeared. This story is more complete at the BFRO website.

So you see, the BF thought it was all clear after hearing the ATV go away. Hence being rather noisy. Once realizing a human was still there, the BF goes back into stealth mode. It is my belief that had the BF known that rider 1 was still there, he would never have been seen or heard.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I believe in Bigfoot and all, but isn't it strange that such a smelly creature exists in the wild? I'm assuming that Bigfoot is an omnivorous creature. If Bigfoot really is able to hide, use projectile weapons such as rocks, and communicate to each other while hunting, then it must have a fairly capable brain.

Humans use about 20% of their total energy intake just to keep the brain running. 20% may seem insignificant, but its actually an incredible amount of energy compared to other animals.

Now, if Bigfoot is anywhere near the cognitive level of a human-being, it also must take a fair amount of energy to keep its brain going. Take into account the enormous size and strength of Bigfoot, and you can safely say that it must take thousands of calories a day to keep living. Since animal meat gives the highest amount of protein, I'm pretty sure that Bigfoot is a omnivorous predator.

Furthurmore, if Bigfoot is a predator then its main game is most likely deer and small mammals such as racoons. Deer, racoons, and rabbits all have an excellent sense of smell which is thousands of times more acute than a human's. In fact, a deer can actually smell the difference between two identical apples that were brought from different states.

If Bigfoot's main prey is deer, and deer have amazing sense of smell, and Bigfoot is as smelly as people say he is, then how in the world does it hunt? A deer could smell Bigfoot coming from miles away (literally). I believe in Bigfoot and all, but this little fact just doesn't make sense.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It has been said and described in stories that BF most often hunt in groups and entrap their pray. One or 2 lye in wait while others drive pray into them. In this instance the wind is at the back of the driving BF and blowing into the faces of the trappers. Presto! The pray is driven to the trappers! So, scent can actually come in handy.

When hunting alone I'm sure the BF just keeps the wind in his face. I also believe they are scavengers and will eat from a found dead carcass. For the most part they do what is easiest and that is eating plants and wild fruit, only hunting when necessary.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I agree, there are sighting reports from around here that I found online that tell of a horseshoe shaped ravine where two or more BF's drove a deer upwind to only be caught by another BF. It was in the winter and they only took the liver, heart, and the two hindquarters.
Is liver and heart more nutritious than muscle?
From reading about sightings where a deer or other animal is killed I kinda think they only eat meat when they have to, like in winter when the plants are dormant.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy
It was in the winter and they only took the liver, heart, and the two hindquarters.
Is liver and heart more nutritious than muscle?

Well..

All liver contains more Vitamin A ( deer liver contains about 20% Vitamin A ) than the muscle, and Vitamin A does help in night vision...

Don't know about the heart, maybe the same way *shrugs*, and it could be just that it tastes good, a delicacy so to speak...

JMHO...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I just thought it'd be horrible to be a deer and get hunted by Bigfoot.
You start running away from a group, burst into a clearing, and WHAM!!! Some Babe Ruth Bigfoot just sent you to the outfield, using a tree.

Anything as incredibly strong as Bigfoot wouldn't have that much trouble killing its prey once its caught.

Bigfoot Vs. Bear

Who's your money on?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join