It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Old To Drive???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I saw a bad accident today and the woman that caused it was clearly too old to drive. I would guess she was 85 or so. She could bairly walk and needed help doing so. She got in her car (with help) backed out in to a car lightly (didn't stop) then drove out in to the road without stopping and made another car run up on the grass and hit another car when it came back out in the street. This woman suffered no injuries because she didn't even get hit or stop, she probably didn't even know what she did. I see it alot around here. A few years back a woman was backing out of a doctors office in Annandale Va and instead of pulling out she put the car in reverse and backed up on the sidewalk and ran over a 4 year old boy and pinned his mother against a brick wall. The boy died and I'm not sure what happend to the mother as it was a while ago.

I know there is no easy way to say "you are too old" but these people need to be screened more frequently when they reach a certian age in my opinion. This topic really hits home because my wife was hit 7 years ago by a 71 year old man driving a auto parts truck running a redlight cause he was falling asleep. She ended up spending Christmas in the hospital and we had no car. I would not want to see 14 year olds out on the road driving but I would have to say that their reflexes would be better than someone that can bairly walk and all medicated up. I have nothing against older folks as we will all become one if we live long enough but what about the safety of those like the 4 year old boy, my wife, the people in the cars today and, those people that were killed this year at the farmers market when that man drove in and ran all those people over. Most the people that make the laws are this age anyhow and they will not do anything about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
it's hard to tell people that they shouldn't be driving anymore, but in some cases it's necessary. even though it would cause a major stink, maybe a driving test every few years after a certain age would be a good idea. my grandpa was blacking out behind the wheel and actually caused an accident (no one was hurt, thankfully), but his license was not taken away. finally family members had to step in and take it away for his safety and everyone else's.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Its sad really as for some old people its there only means of being able to get around...

But i agree , Maybe some sort of retake test would be a good idea,
As some older people are fine drivers, i think it depends on the person themselfs, and there health at the time
..Maybe a yearly health check and test would be good

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but once you've reached the average life expectancy, you need to be tested every damn year...period. I live in St. Pete (commonly referred to as God's Waiting Room) and I can certainly identify... Also, there should be booster seat requirements if you can't see over the wheel...!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Maybe the elderly could brush up on their driving skills by playing a driving video game. Kind of like a defensive driving movie...throw some pets...pedestrians...and children playing in the street at them...see if they have cardiac arrest. In my opinion...after the age of 65...everyone who wants to drive should be tested once a year...too many factors working against them....ailments...handicap...vision...senility...you never know. Put them to the test...save lives.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
finally family members had to step in and take it away for his safety and everyone else's.

I think more of this needs to happen.

Baked ~ My Mom lives in a Sr. (55+) housing development (estates) and I have seen exactly what you are talking about. Half the residents there don't even stop at the stop signs. They pull out onto the main street without looking and then drive 3 miles per hour. I am AMAZED that more aren't killed by these drivers. I just had an incident occur where an elderly man driving a SUV changed lanes and missed my front end by inches. I know he had no clue what he had done
I think it is up to family members to make the decision whether or not their elders should be driving if the DMV doesn't.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Someone's been watching South Park tonight....

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Almost a mantra for me for the past 20 years...

When you hit 65 you should have to retake the FULL driving test...written, driving, EVERYTHING. You should have to repeat this every five years past 65...PERIOD!

Let's face it...the only people more dangerous than 16 to 18 year old drivers, are 65 and over drivers.

Problem solved...NEXT!

LOL! I just wish the states would start adopting something like this. My father turns 80 this year, and my mother turned 76 this year...and I do not for a minute believe that my father (FOR SURE) and possibly my mother could pass this requirement.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It shouldn't be any more difficult to prevent an elderly person from driving than it to keep an epileptic from driving.
After an epileptic person goes a certain length of time (1 year, I think?) without a seizure, they get their driving privledges back. The first time they have another seizure -- boom, can't drive.
This is obviously in an effort to keep the roads safer, as seizures can come on suddenly and a person has no control over them.

If an epileptic must prove they are fit to drive (due to something beyond their control), why should it be any different for a group whose reaction times, sight, hearing, etc have deteriorated drasitcally?
It's just a means to keep the roads safer...for both groups.

Fortunately my grandparents are still sharp as tacks (in their mid & late 70s now). Grandpa doesn't drive anymore, of his own choosing, except when my grandma can't.

And tonight's South Park was hilarious. Great social commentary, as usual.
"OLD PEOPLE MEETING!! OH MY GAAWWWWDDD!!"

-B.

[Edited on 5-11-2003 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
AW GAWD DAMMIT KITTY!

I totally forgot to watch SP.

I wanted to see the old people go postal.

anyways, back on topic

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I think it is up to family members to make the decision whether or not their elders should be driving if the DMV doesn't.

That would be great Venus, but many elderly people do not live near any family members. It seems more and more families are futher apart. There's a lot of old people out here in the desert. When a cop sees a car swerve across the the white lines. He rules out a DWI driving while drunk or a DWO- driving while old. The drunk will get jailed..... while the elderly person will just get a warning and told to go home.
The sad thing is that most are on medications making a dangerous situation.... even more dangerous.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
They should definitely be tested.

We made my Grandma give up her license when she turned 80. She gets rides with her friends that still have their licenses and they get in accidents all the time.
One of them is so blind that my gramma has to tell her what color the lights are at the intersections because she can't see them.

Another one of her friends hit the same car 4 times. She is a very heavy woman and her leg fell asleep, she couldn't lift it off the gas pedal, she kept slamming into the back of the car.

Whenever it comes up that they should be tested they always start screaming about age discrimination. Well you don't see 9 year olds screaming about age discrimination saying they should be able to drive.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I believe nothing will ever be done about it. The elderly Vote, Their money is a huge part of the auto/gas/insurance industries. These industries would suffer from such restrictions on the elderly. They would never let it happen.

Maybe we could build seperate roads for them to play bumpercars

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I agree that age can be a hazard on the road. At this point, I have NO expectations of ANY drivers, regardless of their age. People just suck at driving.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Old people and cars DO NOT mix. They should retake their driving test due to the fact they tend to get "too happy" behind the wheel and drive into the nearest group of children.
They tend not to stop,drive through red lights, try and knock you down and just plane dangerous. But not all of them are pyshcos trying to run down children, Some are good drivers

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm sorry, but once you've reached the average life expectancy, you need to be tested every damn year...period. I live in St. Pete (commonly referred to as God's Waiting Room) and I can certainly identify... Also, there should be booster seat requirements if you can't see over the wheel...!!!

You live in St Pete! My dad lives in North Redington Beach. My dad needs to have his license taken away. He is 75. He tailgates, has for 15 years...slams on the breaks, does 85 in 55 zones, changes lanes without looking. It got to the point that if I go down to visit him, I rent a car cos I cant stand it anymore.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Anyone watching it tonight? It's about elderly drivers.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked
Anyone watching it tonight? It's about elderly drivers.

i'll give it a miss i think, old drivers seem to try and run me down

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Pretty funny episode. It used the Red Dawn movie plot.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If we can cut off their food supply............country kitchen buffet.........

I think some of you may understand that one!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join