It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DragonLance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Anybody know if there will ever be a movie of Dragonlance??

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Dragons of Autumn Twilight is supposedly in production for a 2007 release...

www.imdb.com...

Here is the supposed cast.

Michael Rosenbaum .... Tanthalas 'Tanis' Half-Elven (voice)
Kiefer Sutherland .... Raistlin Majere (voice)
Lucy Lawless .... Goldmoon (voice)
Fred Tatasciore .... Flint Fireforge/Fewmaster Toede (voice)
Michelle Trachtenberg .... Tika (voice)
Rino Romano .... Caramon Majere (voice)
Jason Marsden .... Tasslehoff Burrfoot (voice)
Neil Ross .... Fizban The Fabulous (voice)
Marc Worden .... Sturm Brightblade (voice)
Phil LaMarr .... Riverwind/Gilthanas (voice)

Looks like it's gonna be animation

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That's awesome. That series of books is one of my favorites! I can't believe or wait to see this! lol!

Gin

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Haha, Kiefer Sutherland giving his voice to Raistlin. Can't wait to see this movie.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I have pretty big expectations for this movie.. Hopefully they won't ruin it..

And somehow, I think it is a good thing that they do it as an animation-movie. The only way they could do a good DL movie, would be if they had a LotR-budget IMO.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I just finished the Avatar: The Last Airbender series with my sons. Afterwards I thought they should do a Dragonlance animated series. But then again I would love to see them pull it off as epic sized live-action films like LOTR! I wasn't impressed with the animated movie.

edit on 8-9-2010 by clementsian because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2010 by clementsian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Kind of ticks me off about the D&D movie they DID make..using some generic setting, and pretty bland characters, when they had SO much to work with in the D&D novels....

Personally, I'd love to see a Drizzt based D&D movie....now THAT would rock...
(and a great sequel opportunity)....

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You would think with the success of LOTR someone would pick up Dragonlance or a Drizzt movie.

Either are fine with me.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I watched the Dragonlance animation movie.

Stay away from it. The characters are great, but the animations are awfull. Really, really awfull. Its definitely a crappy company that did it - And probably in 3 weeks. And for some reason draconians and dragons are CGI animation? It looks so weird, and doesn't fit in at all.

Such a bad movie..

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Would still be nice to see a live-action Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms movie though.
But, the D&D movie that was made, probably killed any such chances. Had some cool villains though, but the two main characters kind of blew...and the generic setting left much to be desired.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Keep away from the dragonlance animation movie, it pissed me off watchin one of my favorite series of books turned into a cheap animated disaster,

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifersjester

Looks like this opinion is unanimous. I met Margaret Weis at GenCon (uhuh, I'm such a nerdling ;P ) in 2006 she told me about the movie. I was so excited when I heard, disappointed when she said it was animation, and I actually scowled at Kiefer Sutherland playing the part of Raistlin. Being an eternal optmist, I kept hope. Bah! My review mirrored the posters above me. Bad anime and the pace of a turtle in a glue pool.

One thing I did leave GenCon with, aside from the short back rub from Kevin Sorbo, was an autograph & numbered print of Raistlin & Crysania which I had framed. It's beautiful!

Dragonlance deserves a well done live action redux!

edit on 4/17/2011 by Whisper67 because: My usual reason

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Even though I was disappointed I still have a copy for my collection
I had to re-buy my books a few times, wish I still had my TSR copies

I think I had made an accomplishment though
Just last week I had gotten my neighbor aged 86 to read them

She usually won't touch scify / fantasy
But I talked her into reading the Chronicles
and let her know if she did like them I'll let her borrow the other sets
or she can start reading my R.A. Salvatore collection
In which she is
wanting to know about Drizzt

So far she likes Tasslehoff
I love when people read and enjoy something they usually wouldn't touch

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wow... I never knew they could take some of the best books and make one of the worst movies out of 'em! Having been my favorite series of books when I was little, I was so excited to hear that they were making a movie. The fact that it was animated wasn't too concerning at first (thinking that they may be able to do more with a smaller budget), but the animation was indeed awful (what was with the draconian and dragon CGI? it didn't mesh with the other animation at all!). I thought the voices did not fit the characters at all (but understand it's hard to replace the voices that I made up in my head) and wished that they casted unknown actors instead of picturing Keifer everytime Raistlin was saying something.

But I don't know what was harder to take... the fact that the movie sucked, or the fact that they weren't making a second one. Even a butchered version of those stories was better than most of the crap out there (at least it had a storyline). Even if they continued along the path of awfulness, I still wanted to see the series finished.

I still dream that one day someone might do the series justice and make a live action one! I can just imagine Huma on the back of the Silver Dragon flying in skies full of magic and dragons... at least they can't ruin my imagination! (things are sometimes best left as dreams!)

That being said, what a great series of books (Chronicles, Legends and The Legend of Huma... feel free to argue the quality of the rest, but those 7 books were incredible!)! I still pull them off of the shelf every few years to read and choke back the tears when Huma defeats the Queen of Darkness, or when Flint dies and Tanis runs the Green Gem guy through... Aw man, those books will be with me for life! (both in mind, heart and on my bookshelf)

I never read anything after Dragons Of Summer Flame... which in retrospect was not comparable to the originals at all, but at the time made an okay conclusion. Wasn't there another series called The Fifth Age or something? Was it any good?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I find it odd that the game that single-handedly kick started the fantasy boom in the 80s, a genre that made millions for many people from all over the media, had been cursed with movies with lousy production. It's like a conspiracy in Hollywood, don't touch the D&D name, which leaves ambitious nobodies to tackle the rights to the game only to make substandard products.

Is it so much to ask to have a top production company throw millions on cast, writers, location and special effects? How many of todays young (meaning genXers) top directors, writers and producers played D&D? I bet many have yet they let the game of their past to languish with half-assed attempts.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The second live action D&D movie actually is fairly decent. Not much of a budget (so Hercules-like effects), but they stick with the game mechanics, are true to the classes, even reference dungeon modules, etc. It's far better....though you'll only see it on DVD.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheerfulnihilist
I find it odd that the game that single-handedly kick started the fantasy boom in the 80s, a genre that made millions for many people from all over the media, had been cursed with movies with lousy production. It's like a conspiracy in Hollywood, don't touch the D&D name, which leaves ambitious nobodies to tackle the rights to the game only to make substandard products.

Is it so much to ask to have a top production company throw millions on cast, writers, location and special effects? How many of todays young (meaning genXers) top directors, writers and producers played D&D? I bet many have yet they let the game of their past to languish with half-assed attempts.

I think that the D&D name doesn't have the sort of mass appeal that producers are looking for in a big budget title. It even has a fairly big stigma attached to it; that the players live in their mom's basement, are "freaks" etc.

You could probably make a D&D-like movie and call it something else and you'd be fine (Like Lord of the Rings).

top topics

join