It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best assualt rifle - configuration and caliber?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the world's best assualt rifle. By best I mean the most versatile, reliable and accurate combat rifle? What configuration like bullpup, carbine, long barrel etc... and what caliber? there are so many calibers 5.45, 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39 & 54, even AR conversion stuff like .50 beowulf, .475 socom, even bigger stuff like .300 win mag, .338 lapua, .50bmg etc

So many choices like m14, M4/car15/m16/AR15 and even AR10 style .308 varients like SR25, AK varients and russian stuff, then theres the infamous G3 and FNFALs, H&K stuff like G36, Sig 55X varients, bullpups like Steyr Augs, British L85/SA80, israeli Tavors

So whats the best and why?

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
#1 - AK-103 firing a modernized, lower impulse 7.62
#2 - H&K G36
#3 - Tavor

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
world.guns.ru...

Ah what might have been (had the yanks not buggered it up for everyone).

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Strangerous, I feel your pain man. 7x43mm would have been the way to go. It would have spanked both the M43 and .223 like they were puppies.

That's what the modernized M43 was supposed to get close to. Aluminum insert around the thinned out steel core.

I'm thinking I should make an effort and put together the years of my "interest" in small arms in a single post, to set things straight once and for all.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by iskander]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
M1 Garand in 30-06 That round will kill any North American Animal and can go through vests. With Scope

M16A3 5.56 Short Version with 40mm Red Dot Quick Scope

and

Authentic Russian SKS 7.62x 39 with Scope with 40 round clip

Mossberg model 590 12 Ga Shotgun 9 shot with 00 Buck and Slug Combination.

Back ups,

S&W 5946 9mm
Ruger GP 100 in 357/ 38
Kahr 9mm

Most of these rounds can be found in most of the world.

Bring it ON!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

My Choice for Home Defense is......

My choices are living in a gated community and not making enemies

Still, I keep a loaded weapon on the ready though...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
www.defensereview.com...

best of all worlds............ quick and easy barrel exchange and you got whatever caliber, you want, you could head out with your choice of 5.56, 6.8 or whatever caliber you are comfortable with and keep and extra barrel of the caliber most likely to be used by your enemy and be able to switch up to your enimies' caliber. would be ideal for special ops work

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I see the SA80 is on that list and in my experience (carrying one around for 7 years in the Armed Forces) you ccould seriosly find something more deadly in Toys R Us

Those things are so bad that the UK Military updates it pamphlets for operating procedures about twice a year it has that many problems. Put it this way whilst in a theatre of operations i did not feel safe carrying one of those things around they are so unreliable

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sorry Oblivions void, anything with a "forward assist" should be used as a door stop, not as a weapon.

thesaint is right, only SA80 beats ARs in unreliability. Even after HK was contracted to work on it, it is still far from being a field worthy weapon.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The AR is the second-most laughable assault rifle, all right. Look at it funny, and it'll refuse to work. FN, which is at least on par with HK, has been making them too.

I'd think that the top three would be something like this:

1. FN FAL- Freedom's Right Fist. Chambered to delicious 7.62 NATO, it's still in use worldwide. It's ungodly reliable for a modern weapon, accurate as all hell.

2. G3- often overlooked, another Soviet- Era giant. Innovative design, powerful catridge, reliable. The Great Grandpappy of all thems purdy SMGs that HK makes.

3. A tentative FN SCAR, for strange design and interchangability. Waiting on field reports for that sucker. AK47 is the third place if it turns out badly, jsut for sheer mudslogging nonsense it's able to withstand.

DE

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
thesaint is right, only SA80 beats ARs in unreliability. Even after HK was contracted to work on it, it is still far from being a field worthy weapon.

I believe the SA80 A2 is a very good weapon, although it suffers from a tainted reputation which arose from the much documented probems of the original SA80.

Read the article www.quarry.nildram.co.uk... by someone who knows his stuff.

Additionally read the short overview of the UK MOD
www.army.mod.uk... which is of course completely bias!

Regards

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
Sorry Oblivions void, anything with a "forward assist" should be used as a door stop, not as a weapon.

The saint I've been using old SA-80 L-98 CGP and SA-80 LSW's for over 4 years and I've found them to be ok in british weather. Mabye not the best but its still accurate, I've only found the need to forward assist when the cadet firing it doesnt have the strength to pull the working parts far enough back.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the world's best assualt rifle. By best I mean the most versatile, reliable and accurate combat rifle? What configuration like bullpup, carbine, long barrel etc... and what caliber? there are so many calibers 5.45, 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39 & 54, even AR conversion stuff like .50 beowulf, .475 socom, even bigger stuff like .300 win mag, .338 lapua, .50bmg etc

So many choices like m14, M4/car15/m16/AR15 and even AR10 style .308 varients like SR25, AK varients and russian stuff, then theres the infamous G3 and FNFALs, H&K stuff like G36, Sig 55X varients, bullpups like Steyr Augs, British L85/SA80, israeli Tavors

So whats the best and why?

these are not ,they are invisible.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
bufordny, best for home defense??? do u live in a warzone and do u plan on killing the person in the next room, the neighbors and someone 3 houses down? Noone should use a hi powered rifle for home defense due to high velocity rounds vs low stoppage sheetrock/stucco. If you miss in a heated altercation, there can be dire consequences. but this wasnt a home defense question.

warpboost, what is your take on your own question. what do you think is the best.

Me? since ive never been in the military and only handled a few assault rifles, im not qualified to answer your question due to lack of experience with all Assault rifles out there.

I am interested in the other responses though. we have a few ex military here that are more than qualified on there opinions.

The AK i shot was pretty nice. throw it in the mud/sand/snow, pick it up and it keeps on firing. accurate too. but again, ive got a lousy opinion due to lack of experience with all the others out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
The AR is the second-most laughable assault rifle, all right. Look at it funny, and it'll refuse to work.

I have a Bushmaster XM-15 E2, and It's a real nail driver. Ive seen footage of people armed with AR's contend with S.W.A.T teams.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Huws what do you mean by they are invisble?

I'm no expert and have only fired a few but I really like bullpups. I've fired an AR15 in a bullpup setup with an ACOG which was very nice, but im not sure the 5.56 is the way to go. I guess for close and medium range work and urban type scenarios I would want something like a custom TAR21, FN2000 or Steyr AUG chambered in 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. I like the G3 a lot which is a proven and reliable platform, but its also heavy and a bit dated so I dont know, maybe something a little newer from H&K would be nice like a g36, but I also really like sigs so I might lean more towards a 552, 551 or 556

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
hkpro.com...

www.defensereview.com...

check out this HK modified m4/m16 for 7.62 nato

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Where are you going to find a H&K G3? All the gunstores I have went to said they havent had a G3 in a long time.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
M14 with scope, and higher capacity magazine.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full_Auto77
Where are you going to find a H&K G3? All the gunstores I have went to said they havent had a G3 in a long time.

there's plenty of them around, but the real H&Ks arent imported and havent been for a while so they are like 2-4K which might be why they havent had any.

here's a real one for 6K!

www.gunsamerica.com...

HK 91 for $2200

www.gunsamerica.com...

good clones can be had for under 1K. The JLD PTR91 is one of the best from what I've heard

That H&K .308 AR style rifle looks very nice

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join