It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locations of UFO sightings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Has anyone ever done a comparison study on the location of sightings?

How many UFO's get seen in 3rd world countries as compared with 1st world countries?

Are there any ufo sightings over the dark continent of africa?

How do predomint belief systems in different regions of the world affect ufo sightings and descriptions?

How many ufo's are seen by christains, muslims, buddhists, athiests, pagans, earth detiety worshippers, etc?

[edit on 8-9-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Statistics in third world countries are near impossible to get, as there is no framework or base for collecting data or reports. Different countries handle UFO sightings differently.

They have been reported, however, in most countries, including the middle east.

But many countries might not have much of a way to track or handle UFOs, so data is nonexistant.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Any country that maintains nuclear weapons, or weapons of mass destruction tend to have a significant number of sightings. Although, Billy Meirer lived in a neutral country, his sightings were better.

However, if I was looking at this planet from above and not below; the tools of mass destruction would certainly be a concern of mine.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There was a guy I met at the last ESRI conference in San Diego who proposed using coordinate geometry and address matching to plot a thematic/cartographic overlay of UFO sightings in a GIS (Geographic Information System).

I offered to help him, but we determined that to convert myriads of known/recorded sightings from descriptive locations into a digital, machine-readable database needed by the GIS would be beyond our time and effort resources - so we abandoned the idea.

With the right funding and expertise, however, this would yield, IMO, a very enlightening thematic pattern for further analysis. Perhaps a university GIS lab or other think tank with the right software/hardware/mind set could take it on.

I'd certainly be very interested in seeing the results ploted on an interactive map. such as Google Earth for the masses, or ESRI/Intergraph etc, for detailed study...

Intriguing thread - this is good...

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
I'd certainly be very interested in seeing the results ploted on an interactive map. such as Google Earth for the masses, or ESRI/Intergraph etc, for detailed study...

There is something similar with Google Maps.

www.ufomaps.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also see *U* UFO DATABASE .

[edit on 9-9-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thanks, L_S, seen this.

A few limitiation/issues
:
1; Google Maps is not a true GIS (can't do, e.g., topological analyses. buffer overlays, dynamic segmentation, et al).
2; data is limited to e.g. NUFORC data sets, so global comparisons, multiple source integrations. are difficult/non existent.
3; user has few/no tools for layer manipulation/EDMS linkage & viewing/attributes, etc.

Still - it's a start and much better than nothing!

If anyone's interested, a true GIS, like ESRI's ArcGIS can be found at:
www.esri.com...
www.intergraph.com...

Google Maps/Google Earth is still a bit cartooney to use as an analysis tool, but it sure is fun!

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
In the near-death experiences I've seen, the angels say they like the US and Europe better other places, so I'm sure we get the most activity. They seem to prefer places that suffer from the worst government control because they can use those governments to spread religion.

However, Mexico has an unusual number of sightings, as well as the states near it.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

top topics

join