It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran developes 2000 lbs bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's called Qassed and it's design is very much the same as GBU-15.

TEHRAN (Fars News Agency)- Iranian air force fighters succeeded in loading and dropping a newly made 2000lb bomb during the country's extensive war games codenamed 'Blow of Zolfaqar' on Thursday.

english.farsnews.com...

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Mehran]

mod edit: Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 8-9-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You wearn't joking where you about it looking similar to a GBU-15.

I have absolutly no doubt in the my mind this is a reverse engineered version which most likly was either recived by Iran through the black market or a dud/mis-fired bomb from Iraq or Afghanistan which failed to explosde on impact.

There is abolsolutly no other way Iran got a hold of this.

Take a look at the second picture you posted and this which is an American GBU-15 :

www.globalsecurity.org...

Here is some info on this weapon :

Do you think it could be based on the GBU-15 but with an improved modern Russian or Chinese guidence system and warhead?

[edit on 8-9-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Oh thats not good news at all - but why think it may be dud or a black market trade?
president Clinton exchanged massive amounts of classified information on defence projects with the chinese in return for large donations into his campaign for elections fund. Could it not be that this was just one of the many sets of data that was given to the chinese, and they just cranked it along to iran in return for some oil / trade deal?

But holy cow they could of at least changed it a little bit....

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
You wearn't joking where you about it looking similar to a GBU-15.

I have absolutly no doubt in the my mind this is a reverse engineered version which most likly was either recived by Iran through the black market or a dud/mis-fired bomb from Iraq or Afghanistan which failed to explosde on impact.

There is abolsolutly no other way Iran got a hold of this.

Take a look at the second picture you posted and this which is an American GBU-15 :

Here is some info on this weapon :

Do you think it could be based on the GBU-15 but with an improved modern Russian or Chinese guidence system and warhead?

[edit on 8-9-2006 by iqonx]

It could have been captured from Iraq or through chinese data but I'm guessing it's Iranian made. we don't have to rely on others for military weapons as top ranking generals said before. IRIAF released some new videos and one of them were Saeqeh-80 holding both missiles and other F-4's. Very good news indeed.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
Oh thats not good news at all - but why think it may be dud or a black market trade?
president Clinton exchanged massive amounts of classified information on defence projects with the chinese in return for large donations into his campaign for elections fund. Could it not be that this was just one of the many sets of data that was given to the chinese, and they just cranked it along to iran in return for some oil / trade deal?

But holy cow they could of at least changed it a little bit....

It's not good news because were defending ourselves with new technology that can save our lives so we don't have another Iraq-type of war?. Listen, for an American who was responsible of killing 1 million of my people (which is being thaught in Iranian schools by the way) you shouldn't be juding on what is bad don't you think?.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran

It's not good news because were defending ourselves with new technology that can save our lives so we don't have another Iraq-type of war?. Listen, for an American who was responsible of killing 1 million of my people (which is being thaught in Iranian schools by the way) you shouldn't be juding on what is bad don't you think?.

Whihc American was sponsible for killing 1 million of your people. Talk about propaganda, I feel sorry for the children being taught this garbage. I find amusing that, any war with America and Iran won't have any planes left to drop these omb after about 12 hours, LOL.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Whihc American was sponsible for killing 1 million of your people. Talk about propaganda, I feel sorry for the children being taught this garbage. I find amusing that, any war with America and Iran won't have any planes left to drop these omb after about 12 hours, LOL.

people like you always talk the same. let's nuke em or turn their country into the stone age. Ignorance must be a blessing for you. All those chemical and biological weapons that rumsfeld gived to Saddam must have been in good hands for use don't you think?. After that, WMD's were being dropped on Iranian civilians and soldiers. we know what you did and we'll never forget it!. I could see why your so jealous Iran now has nuclear capability.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
OMG IRAN HAS A BOMB! What a wonder! Now everyone should be scared because of Iran technological capabilities. Seriously there is no need to even bother with reverse engeneering of such primitive technology. Bomb is a bomb its just explosive packed in metal. The guidance design is more difficult, but I have no doubt almost every country, even some amateur could make laser or TV guided bomb.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

people like you always talk the same. let's nuke em or turn their country into the stone age.

where did anyone on this thread say we should nuke iran. the fact of the matter is that whatever planes iran develops they will be very inferior to the f-22 and f-35 and so the iranian airforce will be destroyed within a very short period of time.

Ignorance must be a blessing for you.

if you said that to me i would report you for being offensive.

I could see why your so jealous Iran now has nuclear capability.

You might have missed this but the americans also have nuclear power so why would they be jealous?

personally i think this sums up this thread extremely effectively.

originally posted by longbow
OMG IRAN HAS A BOMB! What a wonder! Now everyone should be scared because of Iran technological capabilities.

chill out mehran. I understand being patriotic, im extremely patriotic but your and my country's arent the best things since sliced bread. So if/when someone comments on something your country has done/made consider it without trying to find some kind of anti iranian slant to the post.

justin

[edit on 8-9-2006 by justin_barton3]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I did not want to insult anybody, it was just the response to people who must immediately claim it must have been reverse engeneered. The bombs (even guided ones) are really not some tech marvel and while it may look similar to US one, the point is that most bombs looks the same.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm one of those just nuke them types, and I don't even fit the standard you are trying to shove down the "colletive american throat." My thing is I don't like pussyfooting
(reference to how a cat paws at a mouse) with porcupines. If y'all wern't so frigen prickly, I'd be a bit more understanding toards your country.

If you want understanding, tone down the vitrol, and show us some of the beauty of your country. Start a whole thread on what dies with Iran...not just the people because some people do think that all you guys ever breed is terrorists. If you don't do something like this, I'm just going to assume that all you wanted was to pick a fight that you could spread on to others in your area to propagate your agenda with your people. "Come look at this thread, this is how the Americans think of us!" It's hard to think of you as an individual when all you seem to do is spout the same rhetoric as your president. We're not all out to get you.

Sad part is, for "stability," Amercia may well go to war with Iran.

I wish they had changed some of the shape to it. The bomb looks so cartoonish it hurts to look at it.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

people like you always talk the same. let's nuke em or turn their country into the stone age. Ignorance must be a blessing for you. All those chemical and biological weapons that rumsfeld gived to Saddam must have been in good hands for use don't you think?. After that, WMD's were being dropped on Iranian civilians and soldiers. we know what you did and we'll never forget it!. I could see why your so jealous Iran now has nuclear capability.

Hmmm for a start the French and the Germans provided SAddam with his chemical weapons capability, also th Iranians weren't adverse to using chemical weapons en masse themselves

You mihgt also want to consider the reason for the large Iranian odycount was because of the fanatical zeal of the Iranian oleadership after all the Iranaians did use their children for human wave attacks and didn't even arm them. Do they teach that in school or doesn't that suit the current day propaganda.
It appears you ar ethe ignorant one or maybe just stupid.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a couple of observations :

first , the fact that it is a 2000lb bomb is largely irrelevant - if yu can make a 1000lb bomb , its very easy to scale up to 2000lb -

see how US bombs from 250 to 2000 lb are different only in dimensions ?

the technology behind a laser guided bomb is mostly indistiguisable frm the technology of an IR seeking AAM / SAM

to whit :

both have a sensor head tuned to detect a specific radiation frequency , and calculate the angular offset , and compute course corrections which are relayed to control surfaces .

here is a pretty picture :

if you delete " propulsion " from that graphic - it is the schematic for a laser guided bomb guidance pakage .

why does it look so dammed near identical to US PGMs ?

because that is the " univesal " configurateion , simple , effective , reliable .

seeker at the front , bomb body in the centre , guidance actuators at the rear .

it allows you to use the same bomb body as a dumb weapon , and is the most aerodunamic and stable confuguarion

why would iran " reninvent the wheel " ?

now if the iranians built a brand new PGM that looked nothing like existing weapons , and operated in a unique manner -- then the world would be impressed

in conclusion , the fact that the firse 2000lb bomb body , and the first laser guidance system have been unvieled as one weapon package indicates to me that iran currently percieves a need for a 2000 lb PGM

now why would they think that
??

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Hmmm for a start the French and the Germans provided SAddam with his chemical weapons capability, also th Iranians weren't adverse to using chemical weapons en masse themselves

You mihgt also want to consider the reason for the large Iranian odycount was because of the fanatical zeal of the Iranian oleadership after all the Iranaians did use their children for human wave attacks and didn't even arm them. Do they teach that in school or doesn't that suit the current day propaganda.
It appears you ar ethe ignorant one or maybe just stupid.

i dont normally post in iran threads but i after reading that i suppose i should.

first off, it is true that i was not just america supplying saddam with chemical weapons. however, the iranians as far as i know, did not use any weapons of mass destruction during the war and after unless you count the basij as one. if they did, please post an article, i would like to read it.

also, about the children. they were all volunteers. they volunteered to run through the mines, and those that didnt were either armed themselves or with someone else that was. quite hectic and very tragic to see kids involved. but then again, those that did volunteer did so for either islam and/or iran which for most people in iran is seen as heroic. still sad for their family.

as for the bomb and the iranian airforce, why cares how strong it is or whether it stands a chance against the american airforce? it is not the same glory it was 30 years ago, but for every new bomb or jet they create, is a step forward for them to regain their once powerful airforce, even though their defense doctrine doesn't call for one, which is probably why it is god awful currently and will be for a while. you must walk before you can run.

lastly, is everyone all of the sudden interested in iranian politics and military because of the nuclear issue and warmongering? i remember a year ago there was very little mentioning of iran let alone its military. so much hate now, its sad to see it all over ats.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hooshang
first off, it is true that i was not just america supplying saddam with chemical weapons. however, the iranians as far as i know, did not use any weapons of mass destruction during the war and after unless you count the basij as one. if they did, please post an article, i would like to read it.

Hmm, for a start it was Germnay and France which supplied Iraq with its CW's not the US. People who know nohting of the war always assume it was the US. Also a quick google would have produced thousands of results of Iranian use of CW's in teh Iran-Iraq War. You wnat to feign ignrance I guess.

also, about the children. they were all volunteers. they volunteered to run through the mines, and those that didnt were either armed themselves or with someone else that was. quite hectic and very tragic to see kids involved. but then again, those that did volunteer did so for either islam and/or iran which for most people in iran is seen as heroic. still sad for their family.

LOL they volunteered, only in a depraved society would children be brainwashed into acting as human shields and cannon fodder. You osund as though you think this is alright, maybe you should reevaluate your morals.

During the Iran-Iraq War, the Ayatollah Khomeini imported 500,000 small plastic keys from Taiwan. The trinkets were meant to be inspirational. After Iraq invaded in September 1980, it had quickly become clear that Iran's forces were no match for Saddam Hussein's professional, well-armed military. To compensate for their disadvantage, Khomeini sent Iranian children, some as young as twelve years old, to the front lines. There, they marched in formation across minefields toward the enemy, clearing a path with their bodies. Before every mission, one of the Taiwanese keys would be hung around each child's neck. It was supposed to open the gates to paradise for them....

ssl.tnr.com...

lastly, is everyone all of the sudden interested in iranian politics and military because of the nuclear issue and warmongering? i remember a year ago there was very little mentioning of iran let alone its military. so much hate now, its sad to see it all over ats.

LOL, well you obviously weren't on ATS a year ago

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   

yeah dawgs , what fooking planet are you on ??????????????

what the heck happened to the concept of " an informed decision " ??

not to mention free will

thier "breifing" for the " mission " was pure BS , were they even told that there were landmines infront of them ?

i will have to look into it , but a briefing that concludes with " this plastic key will assure your entry to paradise " is hardly grounded in facts

you didnt see any of the " mad mullahs " taking a plastic keek too , and leading the charge ,

why was that ??????????????????

volunteers , my ass

Sep

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Hmm, for a start it was Germnay and France which supplied Iraq with its CW's not the US. People who know nohting of the war always assume it was the US. Also a quick google would have produced thousands of results of Iranian use of CW's in teh Iran-Iraq War. You wnat to feign ignrance I guess.

I was aware of the fact that United Nations confirmed the usage of chemical weapons by Iraq in a 1984 (Link) but I have never heard the UN confirming Iran's use of chemical weapons. Since you claim their usage of CW as fact could you please provide a UN report? (I am quite aware of the uncertified Iraqi and American claims, but please provide a reliable UN report, as the two sources mentioned had self-serving motives). There were quite a few UN inspectors in the front lines, especially in the latter stages of the war, so if there were any CW attacks by Iran they would have recorded it.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by Sep]

[edit on 9-9-2006 by Sep]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
again, i ask that you post an article regarding the iranian use of CW.

second, i was not advocating the use of child volunteers. i was just stating the situation.

please don't jump to conclusions.

on a sidenote, not everyone adheres to the western mindset or their culture. what is considered high and mighty for one culture may be opposite to another. please keep this in mind. we are dealing with a country and culture not too many people are knowledgable about as is noticable from many posters here.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Whihc American was sponsible for killing 1 million of your people.

He's not entirely off the mark, the US did support and encourage Saddam's war against Iran, and the Iran Iraq war did cost about a million human lives. Was the US directly responsible for killing 1 million people there? No. Did we play our part? You bet.

As for the bomb, no doubt it's reverse engineered.
Big deal- the US has been known to do some reverse engineering itself.
Anyone who doesn't is a fool - why duplicate R&D someone else has already paid for?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

again, i ask that you post an article regarding the iranian use of CW.[/QUOTE]

Use google, it's simple type in a few words and it searches for you. You will find plenty of articles. Don't be so lazy.

second, i was not advocating the use of child volunteers. i was just stating the situation.

Hmm you justified the use of child volunteers in your statement.

on a sidenote, not everyone adheres to the western mindset or their culture. what is considered high and mighty for one culture may be opposite to another. please keep this in mind. we are dealing with a country and culture not too many people are knowledgable about as is noticable from many posters here.

Hmm, I hope you include yourself in this group. You don't display a great deal of knowlege either

top topics

<<   2 >>

join