It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian icons dying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
first Steve Irwin now Peter Brock
whats the odd of two Australians both legends dying in the same week?
this is a bad week for Australia
RIP STEVE AND PETER

cbs.sportsline.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Bloody hell. Don Chipp was an Australian legend. He started a political party with the motto, "To Keep The Bastards Honest". And he got that party into the senate. The party's not as strong now as in their heyday, but every dog has his day.

The Democrats were created as a response to a lack of credibility in leadership in Australia in the '70's, as well as Mr. Chipp being overlooked for a leadership position in the liberal party at the time. He took a stand and he'll be missed. It's pretty sad that he died so disillusioned, both at his party and the state of Australian politics. R.I.P. Don Chipp.

en.wikipedia.org...

After a year as an increasingly discontented backbencher, Chipp resigned from the Liberal Party in 1977, citing the need for a new moderate political party. Later in the year he founded the Australian Democrats, and at the December 1977 elections he was elected to the Australian Senate, with one colleague (Colin Mason of New South Wales). As Democrats leader, Chipp was involved in various high profile environmental and social justice causes, including playing an important role in stopping the Franklin Dam Project.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Im talking about in the last week
Peter was a legend in Australia the same with Steve
thanks for replying anyways

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
What about Colin Thiele, author of 'Storm Boy'. He died on the same day as Steve Irwin. Is the a thirtysomething (in Australia) out there who hasn't seen or read 'Strom Boy'?

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here, figure this one out:
Australian death rate/ # of people known by anoyone outside of Australia
If you get a reasonable number, then don't be so suprised.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
As far as Steve and Brocky go they were both involved in dangerous lifestyle's/sports/employment so the odds in the end were stacked against them i guess, but yes bloody sad to lose two legends in one week.
Have to also agree that the passing of Don Chipp was also sad and has been overshadowed by the other two, but thats the media for you. Being the sports and lifestyle focused country that we are its not surprising that we would mourn the deaths of two people like Steve and Brocky more than the death of a politician, even one as larger than life as Don Chipp was.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
perhaps you have something similar to the uk 'law of three'? that is that there is usually 3 famous people that will die around christmas and new year.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
perhaps you have something similar to the uk 'law of three'? that is that there is usually 3 famous people that will die around christmas and new year.

Funny you say that i was just thinking the same thing . Like good luck the bad seems to come in three's. Mathematical conspiracy perhaps!!

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
He once got panned in the Oz media for trying to convince people to install orgone accumulators in their cars. It was supposed to be a fuel saver, but,. . .um, didn't really take off. Just do a search for Wilhelm Reich or orgone if your wondering.

another factoid; Steve Irwin grew up in the same suburb as me.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Wow thats weird i just started reading about Wilhelm Reich i even started a thread about him a few days ago lol
thanks for that info very intresting

top topics

join