It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Su-47 Berkut Demonstration Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Was poking around, and I found this. It's not like the stuff you see with Su-35/37's going crazy and falling out of the sky doing incredible stuff, but it's a pretty fair demonstration for an experimental (and highly irregular) aircraft. It's not like the other Sukhois, that, with their Concorde-esque "droop snoot" (okay, it's not changeable, but it's still cool). This one beautiful from the top, it's like an arrow with forward-swept wings. But enough of my rambling. Enjoy the show!

Su-47 Berkut Demonstration Video

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'd never seen video of the Berkut, only pictures. It really is a beautiful piece of machinery. I wonder if anybody's ever going to buy it. Thanks a lot for sharing.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's no YF-23 but it looks alright.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sooooo cool! A strong, powerful competitor for F-22.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Sooooo cool! A strong, powerful competitor for F-22...

...that doesn't exist anymore. The design will probably show up again with different wings, nose, and a smaller body. The forward-swept wings are good for subsonic manueverability but too much stress is placed on the wing roots when supersonic. The X-29 bascially highlighted this.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I have seen a series number of design under T-50, from T-501 to T-509. Some of thoes are amazing! F-22 would get huge trouble, if Sukhoi use a layout which is similiar to I.44.

be care, raptor........

[edit on 7-9-2006 by emile]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I don't think that the Su-47 was really designed with any sort of combat in mind- to my knowledge it was simply more of a proving platform for the forward-swept wing idea that could be turned into a combat platform if the idea really proved itself. If there was some way that the wing could be strengthened for supersonic flight for quick catch-ups (increasing the size of the little holding nub at the front of the wing root, I don't know) then I think this thing could really start taking a chunk out of the F-22. Also, as far as I know, the Berkut uses 360 degree TVC which really does give a nice hearty advantage in WVR, whereas the F-22's pitch TVC doesn't contribute quite as much (not downplaying it, it's still a whole lot better than nothing. A whole lot.) to the maneuver spectrum.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JFrazier

Originally posted by emile
Sooooo cool! A strong, powerful competitor for F-22...

...that doesn't exist anymore. The design will probably show up again with different wings, nose, and a smaller body. The forward-swept wings are good for subsonic manueverability but too much stress is placed on the wing roots when supersonic. The X-29 bascially highlighted this.
ne of test pilot of Su-37 ask a fight one to one over Atlantic against any other aircraft. Nobody answer. Where was F-15, F-16,F-18, Typhoon, Gripen, Mirage, Harrier, F-22, F-23, F-35? Right, was some years ago.
Su-34 entered in production and had RCS like a missile at low flight, but maneuverability don't suffer. Maybe use plasma generator from Keldish NIT.

The aircraft makes use of forward-swept wings allowing superb maneuverability and operation at angles of attack up to 45° or more. The advantages of forward sweep have long been known as such wings offer lower wave drag, reduced bending moments, and delayed stall when compared to more traditional wing shapes.
Unfortunately, forward sweep also induces significant wing twist that would shear most wings off the aircraft. To solve this problem, the Su-47 makes use of composite materials carefully tailored to resist twisting while still allowing the wing to bend for improved aerodynamic behavior. To reduce development costs, the S-37 borrowed the forward fuselage, vertical tails, and landing gear of the Su-27 family.
Nonetheless, the aircraft includes reduced radar signature features (including radar absorbent materials), an internal weapons bay, and space set aside for an advanced radar.

Though similar in overall concept to the American X-29 research aircraft of the 1980s, the Su-47 is about twice the size and far closer to an actual combat aircraft than the US design.
Su-47 has shown far superior manuvering in the air to any aircraft known to this date.
Like the X-29 though, the Su-47 was primarily a technology demonstrator, one intended to lay the foundation for the next Russian fighter. Such a fighter must not only be as advanced as the US F-22 and Eurofighter Typhoon, but must also compete for funding with the more conventional MiGs. However, Sukhoi is now attempting to market the Su-47 to the Russian military and foreign customers as a production fighter in its own right. Initial reaction was not good, but the aircraft's performance has been so impressive that the Russian government has made funds available for further testing of the design. in long range combat W/ high-tech missles, the f-22 would win, but in an actual dogfight, the su-37 would rip the f-22 apart hands down, in dogfighting, manuverability is key, fifty missles doesnt make a difference ifthe plane cant get a bead on the other aircraft, in dogfighting, the su-37 would only use guns and win, if you do a video on the su-37, you would be suprised, even american engineers are trying to find out how any russain aircraft does what it can do.
got this all from flymig.com.and some from the chatting room.and guess what the raptor can be seen on a shorter range.the helmet of the su-27 flanker cotrolles the gun and can turn 60 degrees.f-22 can be seen on radar but at a very close rage.but if zaphod said that the missile is not that accurate they can doge it.the mig-31 and f-14 are the best interceptors.mig-31 foxhound can shoot down an icbm.if in the dogfight of the su.the raptor would be ripped apart.(exactly whats done in wars.so now su-47 is a better fighter than an f-22.(so is the su-27/35/37.)

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Good video, haven't seen it before, good find.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by phsyco
so now su-47 is a better fighter than an f-22.(so is the su-27/35/37.)

Well (I hate defending the Raptor, but it's something I constantly have to do
.), being better than another aircraft isn't cut and dried. WVR I think the Raptor would not enjoy any fights against these aircraft. But BVR I think the 27,35, and 37 would have some difficulty. Okay, lots of difficulty. But with the Su-47 I'm not entirely sure what to think. I think it's great that Sukhoi's trying to market it now
because it's a testbed that has really shown it's worthy of some stripes. What I wouldn't give to see the Russian Knights in some of these lust-worthy machines... With a sexy paint job

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

even american engineers are trying to find out how any russain aircraft does what it can do.

I am curious to know exactly what Russian aircraft can do that US aircraft cannot? The F-22 can do similar aerobatics to Russian vectored thrust aircraft.
How the Russian aircraft do what they do is no secret, aerodynamics is aerodynamics, the techniques and physical laws are transparent.
What keeps US aircraft from doing as Russian aircraft do is based on economics and logisitical doctrines, as such the following points are worth considering;

1. is the capability really needed in a combat situation?
2. is the cost of development and production worth the benefit?
3. does the capability make the aircraft less reliable and is it worth the needed maintenance?

mig-31 foxhound can shoot down an icbm.

I find this highly dubious, no doubt the SBI-16 Zaslon phased array radar system, which has excellent "look down-shoot down" capability can shoot down cruise missiles, but ICBM's travelling at 15,000 miles an hour? No way. No how.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Su-47 has shown far superior manuvering in the air to any aircraft known to this date.

The Su-47 has shown almost nothing so far. It did some test flights like in the video and that's about it.

in long range combat W/ high-tech missles, the f-22 would win, but in an actual dogfight, the su-37 would rip the f-22 apart hands down, in dogfighting, manuverability is key, fifty missles doesnt make a difference ifthe plane cant get a bead on the other aircraft, in dogfighting, the su-37 would only use guns and win, if you do a video on the su-37, you would be suprised, even american engineers are trying to find out how any russain aircraft does what it can do.

Do you have anyway to back that up? As intelgurl said, the Raptor can do just about any move the Flankers can do with more controllability.

got this all from flymig.com.and some from the chatting room.

flymig.com is in no case a reliable source of information.

and guess what the raptor can be seen on a shorter range.the helmet of the su-27 flanker cotrolles the gun and can turn 60 degrees.f-22 can be seen on radar but at a very close rage.but if zaphod said that the missile is not that accurate they can doge it.the mig-31 and f-14 are the best interceptors.if in the dogfight of the su.the raptor would be ripped apart.(exactly whats done in wars.so now su-47 is a better fighter than an f-22.(so is the su-27/35/37.)

Kid, you're only 13 years old. You really need to go and do some solid research before spouting off about everything you've read. What you just typed has no base in reality.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have never seen this in flight. I must admit, it certainly takes the prize for looking the most "futuristic" of all the aircraft I have seen (though, maybe its just because im getting used to seeing the B-2). Very nice shape with quite a fair bit of manouverability.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
that looks some plane man!

can you tell a beginner like me, when this aircraft enters service (if not already) and how it compares to a typhoon/f-22/f-35 etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It has not entered service and likely never will, with anyone, it was a technology demonstrator and the Russians never ordered it nor did anyone else for that matter when it was offered up for export. As to how it compares, well I have my views but I'll let some with more knowledge on this one answer that.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As far as I can see the Russians haven't started producing them, but have rather opened it up for buying. I im fairly sure that with enough interest in this thing (whether by the Russian Air Force or other air forces) they'll sell it. Unlike the Americans who have so nicely decided not to let anyone else play with their new toys.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
I im fairly sure that with enough interest in this thing (whether by the Russian Air Force or other air forces) they'll sell it.

well if thats the case, fcuk the jsf-lightingII man, us brits should get that one instead!!

the plane looks like it belongs to batman looking at the wings

[edit on 8-9-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That's what the Eurofighter EF-2000 Typhoon is for.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
I'm fairly sure that with enough interest in this thing (whether by the Russian Air Force or other air forces) they'll sell it. Unlike the Americans who have so nicely decided not to let anyone else play with their new toys.

The Berkut will probably never be sold just because of the added cost and research to make the plane operational would be too expensive. The Russian Air Force would most likely buy more Super Flankers if they needed more air superiority fighters.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JFrazier
The Berkut will probably never be sold just because of the added cost and research to make the plane operational would be too expensive.

I wouldn't rule it out... With the Americans getting two new planes, the Russians just HAVE to get two new ones of their own. MiG 1.44 Flatpack and the Su-47 Berkut are the likely contenders unless PAK FA really gets a move on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join