It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why CANADA sucks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I was born in the UK. at the age of 6 i moved to BC then to Alberta untill now. I am 30.

Im sick of supporting (with my 38% taxes) corrupt useless self indulgent Ontario and Quebec.

Alberta, BC and Sask should SERIOUSLY consider seperating...

Although now Steve is in power the cries for seperation have died down a little here...

Canada needs soo soo much reform...

The rediculous 38billion dollar surplus in EI... Why do i pay into a system i would have to PROVE that im eligible for?? Ive been paying into it since i was 16...

The stupid CPP... what a waste of MY money.. MINE... I am the one working weeks away from my family.

Alberta has the lowest provincial income tax at 10% but still charges 88 bucks a month for healthcare...

here is a little known fact.... Alberta healthcare payments DONT go into the healthcare "pot"
They are to pay for the land taxes that Hospitals DONT have to pay! didnt know that did you.

Now, I have been forced to become a "non resident" of Canada to save myself the horrendous tax grab and live over seas. While "visiting" canada every second month.

Canada could be so so so much more.... its a waste. The potential is there but "american style" corruption and the Librals killed any chance of Canada being a good place to live.

Anyone who thinks "Canada is great!" obviously hasnt lived anywhere else to see what your missing... like the rest of your paycheck.

Why do we work? For the paycheck at the end of the day. why do i work offshore on a Thai oil rig? For the paycheck. NOT for the "priviledge" of handing over 42,000 a year to a government that eagerly treats me like a criminal every time i walk through immigration and customs.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Answer me this one guy: we have regions of Canada with +20% unemployment (atlantic Canada..) but our government pays grants for new immigrants to relocate where they want to live?

Meanwhile working people in Canada pay Emploment Insurance payroll tax to support REAL CANADIANS sitting on their duff in Cape Breton to collect EI payments but we import immigrants and pay they 1000s of $ to come in and take jobs from locals.

This country has got to be one of the most corrupt countries in the Western World but so far the truth has not gotten out.

maybe we can start this?

I do not like what LIBERALS have done to my once proud and wonderful country.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ya know, donk_316, I agree with just about every point you make about what's so bad about Canada.

I despise whiney politicians bickering amongst themselves, saying Newfoundland or Quebec or the western provinces should seperate. After that, there's all those people that go along with their BS and get sucked into that political garbage.

There's only 2 reasons I like Canada, and in my almost 60 years, I've lived in a good portion of it.

Number one is the land itself...this is a great country just because of its geography. It's broad, its beautiful, it's varied and, most of all, it's almost empty of whiney people and politians. Give me a northern forest without the sound of chainsaws, a freshwater lake nearby, lots of good clean air and I'm in heaven.

Number two is knowing the many people who think like I do about this wonderful country. There's a lot more of them than you may think...they're just not quite as vocal as the rest.

I wouldn't live anywhere else.
~~~~~~~~
added an 'almost'

[edit on 7-9-2006 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Why Canada Sucks?

Lets think about this one.

Have you ever had Cancer? How about a close family member? Well I have. And thanks to this horrible country I am not in debt up to six figures. The only cost to our family was the gas to and from the hospital.

However, the study calculated that Americans of all ages spent an average of $19,900 on medical care for each extra year of life expectancy gained over the last four decades of the 20th century. And that cost is worth it, the study authors say.

Source

So think about it. Go to the United States and cough up almost $20,000 for another year of your life, or you could stay here and enjoy the benefits.

Aug. 22, 2006 - Four years ago, Candice Jackson, then 12, racked up about $90,000 in uncovered medical bills because an uninsured driver hit her while she was getting off a school bus in Windthorst, Texas. She spent four months in the hospital. The ambulance ride alone cost some $10,000. Meanwhile, her mom needed two knees, adding another $20,000 or so to the family's medical bills.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But were complaining that $80 off of our two week pay cheque went to some other cause. Yeah, terrible country.

BOSTON - Costly illnesses trigger about half of all personal bankruptcies, and most of those who go bankrupt because of medical problems have health insurance, according to findings from a Harvard University study to be released Wednesday.

Researchers from Harvard’s law and medical schools said the findings underscore the inadequacy of many private insurance plans that offer worst-case catastrophic coverage, but little financial security for less severe illnesses.

“Unless you’re Bill Gates, you’re just one serious illness away from bankruptcy,” said Dr. David Himmelstein, the study’s lead author and an associate professor of medicine. “Most of the medically bankrupt were average Americans who happened to get sick.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Well I for one take comfort in the fact I know that come tomorrow if I am diagnosed with a serious disease, my health care will be there to catch me. I will not burden my loved ones with a six figure medical bill.

My step-father spent 6 weeks in the hospital in a battle against cancer, beat the disease and enjoyed 3 months at home. Only to take a heart attack and be sent back to the hospital where he laid for a week in a coma. His health was failing by the day and the decision was made to let him go, we walked out of the hospital that day grieving the loss. We never had to look back at any medical bills, we actually never even recieved a bill for the ambulance.

Frankly, if this country is all that bad.. Get out and stay out. I for one love it and am happy to give a few dollars here and there to make sure those who are sick have the care that is necessary.

Edit: Fixed the coding

[edit on 7-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Why Canada Sucks?

Lets think about this one.

Have you ever had Cancer? How about a close family member? Well I have. And thanks to this horrible country I am not in debt up to six figures. The only cost to our family was the gas to and from the hospital.

However, the study calculated that Americans of all ages spent an average of $19,900 on medical care for each extra year of life expectancy gained over the last four decades of the 20th century. And that cost is worth it, the study authors say.

Source

So think about it. Go to the United States and cough up almost $20,000 for another year of your life, or you could stay here and enjoy the benefits.

Aug. 22, 2006 - Four years ago, Candice Jackson, then 12, racked up about $90,000 in uncovered medical bills because an uninsured driver hit her while she was getting off a school bus in Windthorst, Texas. She spent four months in the hospital. The ambulance ride alone cost some $10,000. Meanwhile, her mom needed two knees, adding another $20,000 or so to the family's medical bills.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But were complaining that $80 off of our two week pay cheque went to some other cause. Yeah, terrible country.

BOSTON - Costly illnesses trigger about half of all personal bankruptcies, and most of those who go bankrupt because of medical problems have health insurance, according to findings from a Harvard University study to be released Wednesday.

Researchers from Harvard’s law and medical schools said the findings underscore the inadequacy of many private insurance plans that offer worst-case catastrophic coverage, but little financial security for less severe illnesses.

“Unless you’re Bill Gates, you’re just one serious illness away from bankruptcy,” said Dr. David Himmelstein, the study’s lead author and an associate professor of medicine. “Most of the medically bankrupt were average Americans who happened to get sick.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Well I for one take comfort in the fact I know that come tomorrow if I am diagnosed with a serious disease, my health care will be there to catch me. I will not burden my loved ones with a six figure medical bill.

My step-father spent 6 weeks in the hospital in a battle against cancer, beat the disease and enjoyed 3 months at home. Only to take a heart attack and be sent back to the hospital where he laid for a week in a coma. His health was failing by the day and the decision was made to let him go, we walked out of the hospital that day grieving the loss. We never had to look back at any medical bills, we actually never even recieved a bill for the ambulance.

Frankly, if this country is all that bad.. Get out and stay out. I for one love it and am happy to give a few dollars here and there to make sure those who are sick have the care that is necessary.

Edit: Fixed the coding

[edit on 7-9-2006 by chissler]

This RIGHT HERE is my point... FREE LOADING OFF OF CANADA.... but this poster is an American? GREAT! Im glad you live another year because I PAID FOR IT.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Answer me this one guy: we have regions of Canada with +20% unemployment (atlantic Canada..) but our government pays grants for new immigrants to relocate where they want to live?

Meanwhile working people in Canada pay Emploment Insurance payroll tax to support REAL CANADIANS sitting on their duff in Cape Breton to collect EI payments but we import immigrants and pay they 1000s of $ to come in and take jobs from locals.

This country has got to be one of the most corrupt countries in the Western World but so far the truth has not gotten out.

LOL! so.. im not a "REAL CANADIAN" cause i came here when i was 6? Wow... demented... Stay in the east.

maybe we can start this?

That part i agree with. Librals in canada... or the canadian definition of Librals do indeed suck

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don,t know your particular occupation but i suggest getting a decent accountant who could possibly offset your taxes against expenditure

I was '' assigned'' one a few years back as a freelance expat and I haven,t paid more than $100 a year in taxes to the uk

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's sucks because Bush's twin is the PM. Another war mongerer who keeps the government opaque.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
LOL, I honestly never knew people in the western side of the country wanted to seperate from the rest of Canada, and that it was their conservative side. The west in the states is our Liberal side..

Liberals honestly have ruined your country, you are lagging in national identity from an influx of immigrants, and your nanny state policies will bankrupt your culture and national treasury before any good comes from it.

Nanny states simply cannot exist unless you have a resource to export in which the demand is so popular the % gained is much greater then spent getting the resource. An example, any nation with oil. They make for great nanny states, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, they charge little or no taxes and still have free healthcare and education and all public works paid for.

You cannot however create a nanny state out of the money you take from peoples pockets. No one should have their money taken from them with out objection or chance of, and given to a non-national for healthcare or education.

Don't feel left out, the same thing is destroying America as well. ACLU and groups like them will try and bring about a liberal heaven where their are no boundries for our nation and anyone can come for our healthcare and education, a complete break down of religion and the complete destruction of any sense of national identity and culture. I hope soon enough more and more people will see the problem and..... fix it.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by La Balance
It's sucks because Bush's twin is the PM. Another war mongerer who keeps the government opaque.

This is the biggest crock o' crap ever.

Steve has been in power what? a year?
Your baby eating Libral Draconian Overlords screwed up Canada for 24 YEARS before Harper even got into power...
Jean Cretien LAUGHS when people tell him how corrupt Ottawa is... cause he knows... and so does everyone else... HE GOT AWAY WITH IT.

Nice try though! Way to keep driving that wedge in!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
LOL, I honestly never knew people in the western side of the country wanted to seperate from the rest of Canada, and that it was their conservative side. The west in the states is our Liberal side..

Liberals honestly have ruined your country, you are lagging in national identity from an influx of immigrants, and your nanny state policies will bankrupt your culture and national treasury before any good comes from it.

Nanny states simply cannot exist unless you have a resource to export in which the demand is so popular the % gained is much greater then spent getting the resource. An example, any nation with oil. They make for great nanny states, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, they charge little or no taxes and still have free healthcare and education and all public works paid for.

You cannot however create a nanny state out of the money you take from peoples pockets. No one should have their money taken from them with out objection or chance of, and given to a non-national for healthcare or education.

Don't feel left out, the same thing is destroying America as well. ACLU and groups like them will try and bring about a liberal heaven where their are no boundries for our nation and anyone can come for our healthcare and education, a complete break down of religion and the complete destruction of any sense of national identity and culture. I hope soon enough more and more people will see the problem and..... fix it.

I agree with you. Some places in Alberta dont even resemble Alberta anymore... Hell Vancouver is called "Hongcouver" and Calgary is the closest most Albertans will ever get to Asia.

look at all the East Indian Gangs in Edmonton... what a joke.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Your own mouth is getting in the way of the point you attempt to make.

I am Canadian, always will be Canadian. You have not paid for anything that I haven't, the fact is I sleep good at night knowing I may of helped another soul Apparenty you would much rather see that extra dime in your own pocket.

Rather than lashing out at members who are taking the time to respond to your hatred, how about showing some respect and attempt to validate your point.

I await another lashing my good man.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
First of all, can we stop with the humongous quotes? They are discouraged on ATS and cause a lot of extra work for the mods who have to clean them up.

Second of all, Chissler is Canadian and is not a freeloader. In fact, you have proclaimed you reside outside of Canada primarily to avoid taxes and return here every two months to visit. This leads me to believe that you still have health coverage and receive benefits under the Canadian system. After all, if you have family here and a regular and continued pattern of visiting, that shows continued residency.

Would I be correct in this presumption?

And the Liberals in power for 24 years?
Did you miss the Mulroney era?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Ya know, donk_316, I agree with just about every point you make about what's so bad about Canada.

Number one is the land itself...this is a great country just because of its geography. It's broad, its beautiful, it's varied and, most of all, it's almost empty of whiney people and politians. Give me a northern forest without the sound of chainsaws, a freshwater lake nearby, lots of good clean air and I'm in heaven.

Number two is knowing the many people who think like I do about this wonderful country. There's a lot more of them than you may think...they're just not quite as vocal as the rest.
'
[edit on 7-9-2006 by masqua]

I am an American and I live in Canada. In fact, I have lived in Canada for over twenty years as a dual citizen.

Sure the taxes are higher than in the states. Sure there is corruption in Canadian government but, then, there's corruption in the U.S. government as well. Sure Canada has problems that, just like in the U.S., one party can blame on the other and vice versa. But Canada is a tremendously beautiful country. It is the last country left on this planet that is relatively unspoiled (sic). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. Why would I?

So what if I pay more taxes? So what if I find myself infuriated at the corruption that I can plainly see in Ottawa? These are just the costs of living in a country that still has areas that are unspoiled, pure and clean. Even living in London, Ontario I can look up in the sky and see hawks and, occasionally, a golden eagle. Within a mile of my home I can see Blue Herons standing in a pond patiently fishing. So what if I have to pay a little more to live in a country like Canada.

In London, Ontario or, for that matter, any city that I have lived in Canada, I have never felt afraid to walk "anywhere". Being originally from Detroit, feeling safe means a lot to me and I feel safe in Canada. Hell, I AM safe in Canada.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
hahahaha I feel your pain NOT!!!. Well I don't pay income tax and I never will - I am a freelance web developer with a paypal account and visa credit card and internet banking. I don't live in the country where the bank account is situated and I can use the visa card in most countries on earth.

true freedom - the air is good up here

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sobolwolf
hahahaha I feel your pain NOT!!!. Well I don't pay income tax and I never will - I am a freelance web developer with a paypal account and visa credit card and internet banking. I don't live in the country where the bank account is situated and I can use the visa card in most countries on earth.

Which proves what exactly?

Could you elaborate with alittle bit of detail?

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Canada is, first of all, a good country. A great country, maybe. I dunno about anyone here, but our healthcare system isn't bad in a pinch. I've had to use it. For stuff like accidents, it's not bad.

ANything involving viruses and long-term treatment...avoid it like the plague. The healthcare system could be fixed with a second, privatized tier. Then, not so much payment a few years from now.

My concern with Canada is the lack of individual responsibility. We don't take it upon ourselves to defend ourselves as individuals or as a nation. We don't take it upon ourselves to account for our mistakes- like Paul martin's government, which got off scot-free. For those like rockpuck, who are largely unaware of the scandal, I'll break it down, like 22 Minutes did for me:

Money=gone.

Gagliano= mobster.

Martin=clueless.

Hey, no one's responsible!

Don't get me started on our dirty, hippy liberal youth who are turning Canada into Seattle North. I don't like hemorraging my precious little money for healthcare much, but the times I've needed it- when my dog bit me comes immediately to mind- well, it's better safe than sorry.

DE

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by donk_316
Im sick of supporting (with my 38% taxes)

What's that, the highest or second highest tax-bracket in Alberta? I thought you were somehow avoiding the tax-grab? If you aren't paying taxes, nobody is spending any of your money.

Alberta, BC and Sask should SERIOUSLY consider seperating...

Every time this silly seperation thing comes up, I have to say a few things. The first one is always leave my province (BC) out of that madness. The second one is always what is the plan for the First Nations? Do they get a separate vote to see if they want to stay in Canada? After all, they have the right to self-determination. If they want to stay, will you settle their land claims first or just take it from them? What of those that already have settled land claims? Will you be purchasing the crown assets in your province that the entire country paid for or should the rest of Canada just suck it up?

As for Saskatchewan?
We're talking about the province that always elects the NDP. I don't see them running off to join this little capitalist paradise any time soon.

The rediculous 38billion dollar surplus in EI... Why do i pay into a system i would have to PROVE that im eligible for?? Ive been paying into it since i was 16...

If you've been paying into EI since you were 16, you should have plenty of ROE's to back up your employment history. That's all the proof you need and they are issued, by law, within 3 business days. Guess what? If you are a non-resident and aren't paying Canadian taxes, you aren't entitled to use our EI system. That doesn't seem strange at all to me.

Nice try though! Way to keep driving that wedge in!

Pot meet kettle.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Nanny states simply cannot exist unless you have a resource to export in which the demand is so popular the % gained is much greater then spent getting the resource. An example, any nation with oil.

Do you know who your number 1 importer of oil is?

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Which proves what exactly?

Could you elaborate with alittle bit of detail?

It proves that you can get out of paying tax and thus stop whingeing all over public message boards, um... er..

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It proves that you can get out of paying tax and thus stop whingeing all over public message boards, um... er..

Seems like this horrible country is allowing you to get away nice and easy here. If its so bad why do you keep coming back?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join