It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking with Me (Pics Included)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
JAK

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is a great thread WW. Excellent, thank you. Looking forward to more.

Jak

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
did this since last week but couldn't find the time to post the recipe till now.

This recipe is for chicken curry, but you can curry just about any meat, vegetable or seafood, use the same basic recipe just substitute whatever for the chicken...

If making chicken curry, you can use boneless chicken breast or have your grocer cut up a whole chicken for you. Here in South Florida, any grocer in Publix or Winn Dixie will know exactly what you mean if you ask them to cut up a chicken for curry.

Clean and wash your chicken like you normally do, drain and set aside.

You can also use any curry powder of your choice, I believe I have mentioned before, I use Lalah's curry powder.

In a small bowl, combine the following ingredients.

2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon Goya Adobo
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 packets of Goya Sazon
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

mix all the spices with about 4-6 tablespoons water to make a loose paste.

Now in wok or kahari as we call it, heat 2 tablespoons oil, add chopped onions and garlic and scallions and saute briefly. Add the curry mixture, rinsing the bowl with a few more drops of water to get all the spices and add to the pan. Cook over medium high heat until the curry mixture starts to bubble and thicken.

Then add chicken, stir to coat with curry sauce and cover immediately and allow to cook for about 5 minutes over medium high heat.

Uncover, stir, add about 1/3 cup water to get a good amount of curry sauce, stir again, cover and allow to cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
After the 15 minutes, uncover and allow to the curry sauce to cook down to consistency and amount you desire.

Some people like "wet curry" meaning lots of curry sauce.... just add more water.
Some people like "dry curry" allow curry to cook down and thicken.
We tend to go with a in between curry, so that everyone is pleased and I don't have to cook twice

Serve your curry with rice or roti.

Coming soon, snacks and samosas.. I haven't forgotten

[edit on 10-5-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Great thread Worldwatcher, I've been checking frequently for updates!

I'm not much of a cook myself, but it's something I want to improve on. I've followed a few of your recipies and the final outcome has been brilliant. I didn't know I could enjoy cooking!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
thanks dodge

If anyone does attempt my recipes, which I really hope that some of you do, please do let me know the outcome.

I didn't realize how hard it is to write up recipes, since I don't cook with measurements and just use that family passed on "average" of a pinch or dash type method to cook. This thread has been alot of fun for me to do and I find myself enjoying cooking more. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to share

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the chicken curry recipe, WW.

I'm not really one for predictions, but I have a strong feeling this may grace our dinner table, Very soon.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
please do try it, btw are you able to find curry powder and garam masala in your local stores???

you can skip the garam masala if you can't find it, when my kids were younger and less inclined to spicy foods, I used to make my curry without it and it still tastes good.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, when I visited Pakistan, the shop owners would make this very tasty dol nakhut recipe. I would tell them "Salan dedo Babojee!" and they would fill these huge plates up with some of the tastiest dol I've ever had. Would you happen to have recipe for it? I also tried the Navaratan Curry there, and I like it more than the dol, but I haven't found many good recipes for it on the net. Would you also happen to know how to make it too? Sorry if I asked for too much.

I'm going to make some of your recipes next week. Thanks for sharing them.

[edit] I'm thinking that one reason why some of the recipes I've found on the net (not yours) lack the authentic Indian taste is because they use only butter or margarine, when the recipe has traditionally used ghee. Would you recomend using ghee instead for the dol?

[edit on 12-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't cook with ghee unless I'm preparing food for a religious function. For everyday cooking, I use butter or oil. I do agree Ghee gives food a different taste, but I think the key difference is in the regional spices.

Curry powder and garam masala and other masalas are usually toasted and ground at home, different averages, different methods all gives the wide variation of how curry or dhol can taste from one household or restaurant to another.

I dont know all the names and variations of "real indian" cooking, our indian cooking has been adapted to living in the caribbean and Pakistani food is a bit different from West Indian food.

we cook a version of dhol, or dhal made from split peas. Parrhesia has a great dahl recipe thread in this forum and i think i added mines to it there. My dhol is usually eaten with curries over rice or by itself with roti and isn't too thick, I blend my split peas to make it more like a soup.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is great! lol had to print it for my dad who loves to make different foods.

I tryed roti ! great and was soo good, one i will use quite a bit im sure,
cant wait to try the others now,

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. I love Indian food, and i used to go to a restaurant to eat a dish called Riki Tavi (or something like that)
Anyway, it was a spicy ground beef over yellow rice. Any idea what it could be?
I'd love it if you had the recipe for that.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I love Onion Bahjees, always order them when I go to indian restaurant, have moved house recently and aren't any good indian restaurants nearby. I have never made onion bahjees myself or even have never seen a recipe for them, I assume they are quite easy to make, have you a recipe for them

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
sorry for staying out of the kitchen. I'm usually in a hurry lately and just whip up quick dinners, haven't taken the time to prepare stuff for pictures or recipes. I have noted the requests and will try to oblige all, however I have plans for redoing my kitchen cabinets and counter within the next month, so I might be a while posting new recipes.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks World Watcher for the cooking tips and the step by step instructions of this thread!!
As you might have read threwout some of my posts I am a chef, and spend alot of time in the kitchen. Cooking and catering is one of my fine arts and really enjoy doing this in my life

If you dont mind, I would love to share some of my Recipes with you here.
Tho most of my recipes is all part of my job security. Without these recipes I would be willing to share here with you, I would just be another cook in a kitchen. But the right style and recipes can really help you out if you work in the food industry

I will be trying out one of your Recipes here Worldwatcher and do like a dinner specail.. Sounds tasty

What kind of recipe would you like from me? You name the dish, theres a good chance I have something here in my files for you

Bon apite!
Zysin5 (Head Chef, kitchen manager)

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

thanks and thanks for the lighting the flame for me, I need to get back to this thread, I really do enjoy cooking too. and I've redid my entire kitchen since last year..so yeah watch for recipes soon.

hmmmm....I'll have to think about my recipe request..but I'm open to suggestions, I don't eat beef or pork, so other than that I'm willing to try anything.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Just a quick question from someone not very familiar with Indian food:

What is the difference between naan and roti?

Sorry if it's a stupid one, I just need to know.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
just saw your question.. they're basically the same thing.. a flatbread but traditionally naan is cooked in a tandoor oven (you know those hollowed out clay things) and roti is cooked on a tawa, a flat iron/griddle pan type thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Eastern Style homemade chilli

This will serve 100! You can break this down a bit if you have no need for a 5 gallon bucket worth of chilli .

10lbs Ground Beef (quality is up to you.. Angus is best)
Cook that all off, drain the grease, and put it to the side.

6 Fresh Green peppers
5 Fresh white onions
Cut them up into fine pieces, and set aside.

Handful Granulated Garlic
8 oz. Chilli powder
4oz. Granulated Onion salt
Put all your spices together after mesuring out, and add them into your Fresh produce.

3 Cans whole Tomato
1 Can crushed Tomato
2 Cans chilli Beans
2 Boxes Tom Jucie
8oz. Franks Red Hot ( Or choice of hot sauce)
Add into Spices and fresh put produce!

Mix together with the meat and bring to a boil...
When cooling, never put a lid on your food until it is fully cooled down.

Putting a lid over food that is still hot is a bad thing to do..
Let it cool to room temp, before putting it in a cooler.

Thats all for now.. If you want to make less.. Just cut it in half, and then cut that half in half..

MOst the time for a couple people you only need like 2-5 lbs of meat.
You base everything from the amount of ground beef you use..

Also Chilli doesnt need to have ground chuck in it for those who dont like Beef or that type of meat./.

Tuna Salad
3 Cans of Tuna
1 Clerlery Stalk (process)
1 Red onion (process)
1/2 oz salt
1oz pepper
3 cups Mayo
1 cup relish

Mix together.. Makes a great sandwich on toasted bread

Chix Salad.
Cooked off chicken of your choice.
1 diced Red onion
handful carrots (process)
3oz Honey
3 cups Mayo

Mix together and wham, you have great chix salad!

Process means cut up very fine in a food processor

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is one of my specail ones here called Conch Sauce.
or Boheinain.
Its great on onion rings, conch fritters, frys.. you name it..

1 gallon mayo
3 cups Franks hot sauce
4ox Cayane pepper
8oz Granulated Garlic
8oz Granulated Onion
4oz Parsley flakes

Whip it up!!

Thats the same stuff that Outback steakhouse uses for Bluminion Onion gimick they have going on there..
tastey stuff if you like a little spice

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Great Home made Ranch dressing

4 Cucumbers ( puray them)
2 Red Onions (puray them aswell)
Drain Juice out in strainer

2 gallons of mayo
3 gallons Butter milk
4 packs Ranch dressing mix
8oz Granulated Garlic
8ox Parsley Flakes.

Whip till its smooth, cool and then serve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarter Sauce

1 gallon mayo
4 cups of relish
1 lemon 2oz Worcestershire

Wisk together... Easy one there

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ty's Insain Sauce

1 1/2 Franks hot sauce
4oz Cayane pepper
4oz Japs (process)
2-4oz Your favorit super hot sauces.

Shake together, and watch out!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

HOney mustard

1 gallon Mayo
1 cup musturd Dijon
1/2 cup Honey

MIx together and is great stuff

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hi WW! I have to admit, I'm a complete Indian food novice. Actually, even worse than a novice. My husband and I thought we'd give it a try and stopped at an Indian restaurant in our area (we don't have too many here and don't even know if it's considered good or not). But we felt so out of our element. We figured we'd try the buffet so we could get a good assortment of things, but we had absolutely no idea of how to eat it!

There were so many sauces and saucy meat dishes, flat breads, rices, it was kind of overwhelming. I know this must sound so ignorant, but I live in small town USA. sorry...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join