It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Illuminati

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im just currious of what your definition of Illuminati was. Because it appears that several people have completely contradictory definitions:

The Illuminati seems to be refered to as an Enlightenment secret society. However, it also refers to a shadowy conspiratorial organization which is reputed to secretly control world affairs.

Some praising them, and some disgracing them. And im just curious what you intelligent people think.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
hawt dawg.. do i really get to make the first reply of this post?? diggit

Ok real quick and simple, the illuminati was a bavarian secret society that was disenfranchised with the status quo in bavaria and they came together in a secret society not unlike the masons in the 1700s, they attempted and to a point successfully infiltrated the freemasons, but by most reasonable accounts died out before the 1800s

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here is a link to writings of Adam Weishaupt, founder of illuminatti, for a better understanding.

www.freedomdomain.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forsaken Druid
Im just currious of what your definition of Illuminati was. Because it appears that several people have completely contradictory definitions:

See this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are many others as well: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Regards

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Allways a good topic to reconsider.

When people talk about the Illuminati, they are usually talking about a shadow conspiracy trying to destroy all governments and religions, usually its seen as trying to install a global dictatorship.

The reason for that is because there was an organization call the Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria, founded in Ingolstadt Bavaria in 1776 by Adam Weishaupt. The organization was radical, liberal, and, for its time, secular. Thus, the Church and State sought to destroy it. Can't have freemen thinking for themselves now can we? While the machinery of the church-state was grinding them up, it spread a lot of propaganda saying that their members had infiltrated many governments and the church and were looking to destroy them.

Prior to that, there were 'illuminist' religious movements. Because of that, some people feel that they can trace a 'genetic' connection between the AISB and, say, the ismailis of the middle east, the greek mystery cults, and ever further back to prehistoric snake cults, etc etc.

So there are a lot of possible and still reasonable but completely different answers to 'what are the illuminati'.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Illuminati means those who are illuminated, or enlightened.

Illumination, or enlightenment, is a status. Illuminati is a term to describe all enlightened individuals collectively.

The Bavarian Illuminati was ONE society of allegedly enlightened individuals. Not THE ONE AND ONLY FOR ALL TIME. People who claim the Illuminati ceased to exist when Adam Weishaupts Bavarian Illuminati ceased to exist are practicing economy of truth.

It is easy to describe the goals of the Illuminati, but it is difficult to believe those goals. It is difficult to believe because you have been conditioned to reject certain beliefs, which are belittled as the province of the gullible and the simple minded.

The process of enlightenment consists of a slow, methodical reversal of this conditioning. Truths are revealed, and the candidate for enlightenment is observed and tested. If he accepts the truth, the next layer of conditioning is peeled away.

It can't be explained in 25 words or less. To understand, you have to examine your own beliefs, and identify those beliefs you can't accept only because you were told at an early age that you can't believe them. If you can set aside your conditioned prejudices, suspend your socially imposed disbeliefs, then you can study the concept of Illumination with an open mind.

If you just walk in off the street, study the phenomenon with the prejudices that society has imposed on you intact, you will reject the whole thing as silliness. Which is an excellent way to hide undesireable behavior in plain sight.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Excellent post, Xenu - you summed everything I had to say on the subject on one fell swoop.

My experience with the Illuminati has always been a pleasant and educational one. It's a shame so many people rely almost extensively on rumors and websites for information on the "psuedo-Illuminati".

Whatever organization that would take the concept of enlightenment and pervert it to a sinister agenda needs a good going over with an extremely critical eye.

Most of the information I have found about the Illuminati online is radically slanted to a particular agenda. I've lived in the South my whole life, and many of the churches in the area regularly dissimenate such "information" as a way to frighten the public into joining their churches.

It sad, but it's a fact of life around these parts.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
thats why i made this post, because I wanted to find out the truth of the Illuminati once and for all. but then again one could say that there is no "truth" these days.

Id like to thank you all for posting and giving me a more clear insight on the Illuminati. it has been an eye opener to say the least.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forsaken Druid
thats why i made this post, because I wanted to find out the truth of the Illuminati once and for all. but then again one could say that there is no "truth" these days.

Id like to thank you all for posting and giving me a more clear insight on the Illuminati. it has been an eye opener to say the least.

That,my friend, is a fact. We live in a world where there are a million different ideologies and a million different people subscribing to each one. Everyone is yelling, "I'm right, I'm right." Folks someone has to be wrong, not everyone is right.

As far as the illumintti go, to me there are two distinct groups. There is the illumintti which controls the "shadow" government, and then there are the illumined ones. Now, I guess the reaal question is: Is the Illumintti of Adam Weishaupt the "shadow" government? The answer is.....wait for it...it's coming.....

The answer is.....I don't know...and neither does anyone else in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join