It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox has 71 Security holes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Overall it is clear that Firefox is a very well written and high quality piece of software. Several builds were performed on the code, culminating in the final analysis of version 1.5.0.6. The analysis resulted in 655 defects and 71 potential security vulnerabilities. The Firefox team has been given the analysis results, and they will determine if or how they will deal with the issues.

Quoted from www.g2zero.com...

This is the danger of people using non Microsoft browsers clearly this has to change with such a huge number of hacker backdoors in Firefox how can anyone ever trust it again. I for one am very happy I have never and will never install opensource software as wise people would say "Open source equals Open computer for hackers".

Clearly anyone installing non Microsoft software can expect nothing but bugs and errors.

Thoughts anyone?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well, I get the same with my MS software, so I guess it's darned if you do, darned if you don't

apc

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Open source evolves significantly faster because of a larger developer base. These problems with Mozilla pale in comparison to the security vulnerabilities with IE.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Microsoft also have a nasty habit of introducing all sort of new bugs and holes as well instead of actually fixing stuff
i certainly know which browser i would prefer to use

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Having vulnerabilities or not firefox still is the best browser. At least solved my problems.
IE sux a lot, specially when you're using the mouse's wheel and suddenly the broswer closes.

About the Open Source issue, you're overpowering the negative side of it, anyone that knows how to program in the language that firefox was developed can help fix the bugs, so it's not so bad afterall.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Try going to dubious websites with IE and then Firefox, and then talk to me about vulnerabilities.

I don't have any antivirus software at home at the moment. Just an excellent hardware firewall, firefox and some antispyware software. Don't have much problems with my computers and I periodically do online virus scans.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Vulnerability Report: Mozilla Firefox 1.x
Vulnerability Report: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x

And as far as your "Open source equals Open computer for hackers" I suggest you take a look at OpenBSD. Only one remote hole in the default install in over 8 years, can MS make that claim...?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
IE makes babies cry, irl.

sorry if youre a microsoft fanboi, but its the truth

Edn

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have to agree with others here the "Open source equals Open computer for hackers" comment is a bit of a silly/misread one Fx 1.5.* may have around 70 potential security vulnerability but that doesn't mean it has a "huge number of hacker backdoors" considering hacker and backdoor are the completely wrong terms to use. You have been greatly mis-informed on the actually vulnerability of Firefox and open source software in general.

"Open source equals Open computer for hackers" could be completely true if the person who wrote it knew what hacker meant. I suggest you look it up. If open source software was so dangerous to use then explain why GNU/Linux is one of the most secure operating systems in the world and is whats used to keep the majority of the Internet running.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The Cathedral And The Bazaar

Originally posted by Shamanator
Clearly anyone installing non Microsoft software can expect nothing but bugs and errors.

And this is different from Microsoft products how?

Don't get me wrong, I used to be a loyal user of MS products, and I really don't have a "religious" grudge against MS, but somewhere along the line, they lost me.

Maybe it was the way they designed software to force things like pop-ups and spam on me, or maybe it was the royal bitch of dealing with upgrades and copy protection (which drove me away from MS Office forever), or maybe it was the way they didn't listen when I and millions of other users complained about it.

Maybe they just forgot what a customer is and stopped being as competitive as they used to.

I don't know, and I don't care.

Business is business. If MS offers a solution that's worth using -- after the hassles of dealing with the baggage of using them is factored out (much MS software is looking more like malware every day) -- I'll use it.

After all, as much as I love Linux, I use Windows XP as a client because the apps I use need it. And I think it's a solid, easy-to-use OS.

But if something better comes along -- from MS or someone else -- I'll use that instead.

When it comes to computers and software, my loyalty is to myself and no one else.

Sorry for the rant, just sayin'.

[edit on 9/7/2006 by Majic]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Who cares about Firefox or Internet Explorer, I use Opera.

Firefox is good but is not the solution to all browsing problems because not all browsing problems are a consequence of using Internet Explorer.

For example, the problem tunin had I never had it, not with IE 4, 5, 6 or 7 Beta 3, and I used all those versions with wheel mouses, and that type of error may appear in any program in specific situations.

Saying that "Open source equals Open computer for hackers" only shows that the people who say that do not know how that type of software is controlled.

Sure, they have problems and they may have some "open doors" for hackers, some go unnoticed for many years, but all relatively big piece of software (except those I make
) has bugs and other unexpected behaviours.

Also, this report is from a site "maintained by Klocwork (a provider of software quality tools) and New Rowley (a technology research and analysis firm)."

The tool used was ... Klocwork’s K7 static analysis tool...

apc

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Opera is buggier than Firefox

Both are still better than IE though. I only run IE when I don't have a choice, and even then it's under WinE!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
IE makes babies cry, irl.

I've seen it make grown men cry.

Blatant Linux plug:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
lol sorry guys I may sound like a n00b or whatever but i've never actually moved away from IE! And no one I know uses Linux or Firefox or Opera or any of this other stuff your talking about, though I have heard of it.

Someone care to compare a couple of them to IE, like how they're better?

cheers

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

I've done two comparisons in our office using a hardware product called RTGuardian. What it does is block all spyware, bad URLs, P2P shareware and more. On the first test it found that every machine in the office had 3-10 spyware programs that the owners didn't know about. There was only one machine that was clean....mine.

Now for the last year, over half the office has been on FF and a second test showed the IE machines were all infected again. There were a couple FF machines that had 1 spyware program each. That was it.

The users in my office say their browsing experience is better and easier. They also report that their computers seem to run much better using FF then IE.

As for my personal opinion. IE made me feel dirty. I feel like I get a clean surfing experience now.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I use firefox. But, my on friend really knows computer software. He said he found a really bad bug in Fire Fox. He said he noticed that Fire Fox corrodes space on the hard drive or something like that. He said over time it eats up some space. (a few megabites). Other then that he says it is great. Hope they fix that soon.

Edn

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

In general the three main benefits you will find using Firefox (Fx) or Opera is they are generally faster at loading and rendering pages, they are more secure (as ZeddicusZulZorander pointed out) and they are more cleaner what I mean by that is they render pages almost perfectly within 90-100% of standards compared to IE's 30-60% average.

Aside from that Firefox offers some major benefits because it is Open Source. Bugs or security flaws are identified extremely fast and are fixed even faster this is where propriety software fails, identifying security flaws can be extremely hard and fixing them even harder, instead of thousands of people looking for flaws and hundreds of programmers fixing them which is the way Open Source works with propriety software like IE you have only a few people looking for flaws (generally the people who want to exploit these flaws) and only a small team to find, fix and improve the browser.

This is the same reason GNU/Linux is doing to well and its the reason MS want it wiped of the face off the Earth to put it bluntly. With thousands upon thousands of programmers and users identifying bugs, fixing the bugs and generally adding and improving the software its becoming more and more stable and more importantly its fast becoming an easy to use operating system for the general home user but still keeping its complexity at the same time.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I've been working in IT since the 70's, I've worked on a lot of Operating Systems and if I can give advice to anyone who is responsible for buying BUSINESS computers (you know those that do real business work rather than sit in someones bedroom) it is this: forget Microsoft and get yourself a proper machine from IBM.

IBM have been building computers since the 50's, Microsoft have been around about 10 minutes.

Did you know the IBM AS/400 or (iSeries or System i or whatever they call it these days) has NEVER had a virus? yep, that's right NEVER. That's because with 50 years of experience they designed it properly from the start to be resistant to that sort of c**p.

Do yourselves a favour and stop believing all the Micro$oft advertising.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Someone said something about Fx being open source so it's easy to hack? What did they mean by that? And if it's being updated by thousands of programmers does it mean you have to download updates all the time? And do they have to go through the main Firefox people before it's released?

I've just got a new laptop for uni so I might download Firefox for that.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hmm i've been reading up on Firefox and it seems it has a reputation for using a lot of system memory, and has a few security vulnerabilities. Is this true?

On the other hand Opera web browser has recieved a lot of praise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join