It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush calls CIA prisons 'vital' tool

page: 1

join
share:
Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
For the longest time the Bush Administration had denied the exsistence of secret CIA prisons around the world, Now the President has come out publicly admitting these prisons exsist and that they are a vital tool to "the war on terror"

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON -
President Bush on Wednesday acknowledged for the first time that the
CIA runs secret prisons overseas and said tough interrogation forced terrorist leaders to reveal plots to attack the United States and its allies.

Bush said 14 suspects — including the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks and architects of the 2000 bombing of the
USS Cole and the U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania — had been turned over to the Defense Department and moved to the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for trial.

Still, Bush said that "having a CIA program for questioning terrorists will continue to be crucial to getting lifesaving information."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would like to point out that the "New Bush guidelines on torture" give strict guidelines on what can & can't be used for interrogation techniques....for every branch of govt/military EXCEPT CIA...

So once again President Bush has lied to Congress, the Senate and the American people when he said that these Secret Prisons did not exsist.. When in fact they did..

What can you say to this really.. except that, this man has lied since day one... If he's lied about this much, what else has he lied about?

The only reason these secret prisons exsist is because torture is illegal, cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional and against the law, however it seems that the CIA is ABOVE the law, as is the President...

Action must be taken against this quickly, who knows how many people have been put to death at these "Terror camps" here is a few more lines from the story..

"I cannot describe the specific methods used — I think you understand why," Bush said in the East Room, where families of some of those who died in the Sept. 11 attacks heartily applauded him when he promised to finally bring the perpetrators to justice.

"If I did, it would help the terrorists learn how to resist questioning and to keep information from us that we need to prevent new attacks on our country. But I can say the procedures were tough, and they were safe and lawful and necessary."

Bush thinks that torture is lawful.. remember that.. He's stated that many many times.. And of course he cant describe the methods, he would get hell from the ACLU and just about EVERY citizen on the face of the planet.. This man is a monster and needs to be stopped..

Another quote:
"I want to be absolutely clear with our people, and the world: The United States does not torture," Bush said. "It's against our laws, and it's against our values. I have not authorized it, and I will not authorize it."
Yeah right.. and there are no Secret CIA Prisons either right? And the Abu Ghirab scandal wasnt authorized by you either.. Oh .. But the CIA doesnt answer to ANYONE.. They're a government funded terrorist operation.. And this is the proof.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is said to be in custody of the CIA at one of these prisons, Bush says this man is the mastermind behind 9/11.. Wait a minute, I thought Osama Bin Laden was? Wasnt that who the Government pointed the finger at for years and years? Yeah I thought so too. .. So that's probably why you havent heard any mention of Osama lately..

Quote: "We're not interrogating now because CIA officials feel like the rules are so vague that they cannot interrogate without being tried as war criminals, and that's irresponsible," Bush said in an interview with "CBS Evening News."

Yeah ok, Since the CIA was founded, Not ONE of its agents or officials has EVER been tried of war crimes.. NEVER... and they NEVER will. And why would they be tried for war crimes if theyre not torturing prisoners?

Quote: "
Also on Wednesday, the Pentagon put out a new Army field manual that spells out appropriate conduct on issues including prisoner interrogation. The manual applies to all the armed services but not the CIA. It bans torture and degrading treatment of prisoners, for the first time specifically mentioning forced nakedness, hooding and other procedures that have become infamous during the war on terror."

Yeah it bans these techniques for ALL the armed services EXCEPT THE CIA.. of course..

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Ox]

[edit on 7-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Despite the best advice of many professionals that torture doesn't work, Bush and co., continue to justify it and to sneak its use in through any loophole they can generate. What happened to the world in which only Nazis torutured people, because they were acknowledged to be the bad guys?

Oh, wait... I remember now. The US has been condoning torture and, indeed, training torturers at the School of the Americas for nigh on 50 years now. I guess that other stuff was just fantasy that I picked up from watching too many films.

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Exactly... And I think it's a disgrace.. America is trying to be the example of democracy.. when they are failing miserably and being the example of terrorism..

America is trying to lead by example.. and.. well.. if the example is to run secret operations, render private citizens, torture them until they get a story they want... then .. they're protraying a bad example and the "Terrorists" are following in those examples..

How can you get a "confession" from torture? You cant.. You get WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.. The Bush Administration and every member of the CIA should be brought up on war cime charges.. But that'll never happen..

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh, you mean that rendition and those prisons! Well, they are vital to the WOT, and we need them. We don't torture though, and we never have.

How can anybody in their right mind ever believe another word President Bush says?

"I want to be absolutely clear with our people, and the world: The United States does not torture," Bush said. "It's against our laws, and it's against our values. I have not authorized it, and I will not authorize it."

No, he just sends them to countries where they do allow torture, and our CIA operatives just watch and take notes.

"We're not interrogating now because CIA officials feel like the rules are so vague that they cannot interrogate without being tried as war criminals, and that's irresponsible," Bush said in an interview with "CBS Evening News."

What's irresponsible, being a war criminal, or being unable to interrogate? The man has basically just admitted to authorizing war crimes after the fact. Its OK, though, because he doesn't recognize that treaty as applying to US officials, and he made up the term "enemy combatant" to get around that pesky little document called the Geneva Convention!

"He finally acknowledged the elephant in the room that everybody had always been talking about," said Jumana Musa, advocacy director for Amnesty International USA.

link

He better hope that elephant will settle for peanuts. I'm hoping and praying the American public won't.

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well.. youre right in everything you said.. except the fact that we need those prisons.. I dont believe so.. I also dont believe we need President Bush anymore... he can resign any time he likes.... Then maybe America can regain some respect for being the "Home of the brave and land of the free" until this man is gone that wont happen..

Bush, his little administration of terrorists and the CIA all need to be hung out to dry..

The problem with the American people, they either support this lunatic.. OR.. they dont care.. and it's usually the latter, people are sick and tired of hearing about this maniac.

And there was a news story not so long ago where someoe said that the USA does indeed torture their prisoners.. the CIA does.. using something called "Water Boarding" where the prisoner is strapped to a plank and practically drowned.. and then brought out of the water.. and this continues until they get the answers they want..

Pure and simple... Bush is a monster.. he's a war criminal and he's a terrorist.. the man needs to be charged with war crimes...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes. Please excuse me for leaving the posssibility open that my statement about the prisons and torture were anything short of pure sarcasm. We don't need the prisons, we don't need the torture, and we don't need President Bush and his administration.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Protection from cruel and unusual punishment is guarenteed by the US Constitution, the Constitution doesn't apply to non-americans outside of america. Its protections no more apply to people outisde the us than its responsibilities. If foreigners are to receive its protections, then they have to also be subject to US law enforcement.

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yeah I thought I picked up on it a little. I apologise Icarus... Sorry about that mate..

Just to add to this story a little...

Yahoo News

Bush is now "touting" that there has been progress made since 9/11 in the "war on terrorism"..

"Over the past five years, we have waged an unprecedented campaign against terrorism at home and abroad and that campaign has succeeded in protecting the homeland," Bush said. "We've learned the lessons of Sept. the 11th."

What would that lesson be? And if something has "Succeeded" wouldnt that mean it's done with? finished? .. Shouldnt he have said "Succeeding"??
Where is the progress? Cause I dont see it at all. If anyone can give me an idea of this "progress" let me know please..

Last week, Bush lumped disparate terrorist and militant groups under one umbrella. Earlier this week he quoted extensively from Osama Bin LadenLaden and other terrorist leaders to remind Americans that the threat from terrorism remains potent. On Wednesday, he defended a previously unacknowledged CIA program to detain some of the worst suspected terrorists and use rough techniques to extract information from them.

But yesterday didnt he say that Al Qaeda is weak? And they're major cells have been broken up?

He cited the elimination of Afghanistans a safe haven for al Qaida, international finance crackdowns, the new ability of the CIA and FBI to share data and intelligence, a broad restructuring of the intelligence bureaucracy to make connecting dots easier, consolidated terrorist watch list and immigration changes that make air travel and communities safer, and the passage of the USA Patriot Act.

So.. with all the military presence in Afghanistan it's still a safe haven for Al Qaida? is that because the CIA is too busy farming Opium there instead of looking for Osama?
Financial crackdowns? yeah unless it's tax breaks for all the rich administration supporters..

Restructuring of the intelligence bureaucracy, meaning? To make it easier to falsify intelligence and get everyone to agree that it's real? without having to have investigations going on?

Yeah and I'm SURE that changing immigration policies will make air travel safer.. HOW!.. People travelling within the USA via air.. how will it help them?

Does this man even know what he's saying?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

o.p. by Nygdan
Protection from cruel and unusual punishment is guarenteed by the US Constitution, the Constitution doesn't apply to non-americans outside of america. Its protections no more apply to people outisde the us than its responsibilities. If foreigners are to receive its protections, then they have to also be subject to US law enforcement.

Yes, but isn't that what the Geneva Convention and various UN and Human Rights treaties are supposed to cover? Is this why the Bush administration has refused to sign or commit to the tenets of any of these treaties? Weren't the "detainees" lableled "enemy combatants" expressly to circumvent the Geneva convention? Now that the Bush administration is ready to try these "detainees" and "enemy combatants" they're changing their designation to POW, or something, right?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Bush lied to the publice when he said the prisons did not exist...

To that I kina got to say what do you exspect?
Prisons and prisners who are of importance are of national security, you really exspect the people in charge to report that they have these people and where they are? Of corse its going to be denied.

The tactics used I have no doubt are horridance and in humane. That latter defenation could be called an oxymorone but that is for another topic. But as horrible as those prisons are you should rember what was done to several workers that were captchered in Irac.
All this compaing about bush but nothing said about the (useing this term loosly) people who did horrible things on the draconic scale to people who in many cases were not even solgers.

some information you might want to consider if all the prisners are reliced

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said information from one secret prison detainee had led to the arrest of Riduan Isamuddin, a key leader of Southeast Asian terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah, as well as Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, al-Qaeda's alleged mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

sorce

[edit on 7-9-2006 by RedGolem]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Yes, and that makes it all rigth to torture.

What about kidnaping?

Is that cool too?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The thing that really gets to me about this administration is how all along, even during the election of 2000, they claimed the moral high ground. Clinton and the Democratric party were painted as a bunch of slimy liberals ready to sell out the country for a blowjob in the oral office. But you could trust Bush and the Republicans, the moral majority.

President Bush even claimed God wanted him to be president and to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, more and more we are finding out we have been lied to and manipulated all along. How far do the lies and coverups go? He's admitting to the renditions and secret overseas prisons now, what else is he hiding? He finally came out and said Iraq had no connection to 9/11, even the FBI can't credibly link Osama to it. It is all a bunch of hooey.

Its like President Bush doesn't even care about his crediblity anymore, and that is what has me truly concerned. They aren't even trying to keep up the front anymore. It makes me even more wary about what they may have up their sleeve to foist on us next.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Just as you demolish a crack house, you should totally disband the CIA. A nice gated Pleasantville for all agents, with the condition they do not make too many long distance phone calls should take care of things.

'Nuff said. Let military intelligence under proper training, observing all the human rights upon this nation was founded, handle intelligence.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by SkipShipman]

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Icarus... Bush doesnt care about credibility anymore.. why should he? he's proved time and time again that he's above the law, why should he care what people think about him? He can do whatever he wants??

Also Icarus.. I would LOVE a link to anything where Bush said that god wanted him to be President.. I dont doubt you ... but it would make my day..

SkipShipman.. I also believe the CIA should be disbanded.... but I believe they should all rot in a federal prison until they turn to dust..

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This on God wanting him to be President-

Bush said to James Robinson: 'I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it

link

And this on God telling him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan-

President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.

The President made the assertion during his first meeting with Palestinian leaders in June 2003, according to a BBC series which will be broadcast this month.

link

There are more. I just did a search on "Bush says God told him to."

Ox

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thankyou so much.. that just made my day..

Now I'm going to go read the articles an have a good laugh

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I am sure that there are some perfectly good cells at camp delta in gitmo that would fit Bush, Cheney, Rice and Rumsfeld nicely...throw in all those damned neo-cons and start doing the real work...healing our country from the damage they have done.

top topics

join