It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I thought ATS worked at School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hello, i started school last week, after getting off my summer vacation, and i was shocked to see that ATS no longer works, it is blocked. So i wanted to know if ATS has changed in anyway, that would make them block it. Or did the government want to stop us Teenagers from learning the truth?

[edit on 9/6/2006 by The_Time_is_now]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
Hello, i started school last week, after getting off my summer vacation, and i was shocked to see that ATS no longer works, it is blocked. So i wanted to know if ATS has changed in anyway before, that made them block it? Or did the government want to stop us Teenagers from learning the truth?

Are you talking high school or college?

Bad language etc is kept to a minimum here in order to keep us from being auto listed but it's possible we're listed under "subversive" websites.

hmm

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I am in High School, but the access blocker(dont know the correct name) lists the reason why it was blocked, ill see why it was blocked, then i could post why its blocked, here, if you want, but it has worked for a long time, why now all of a sudden?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It might be because your not supposed to be going on non-educational sites while in school.

Think your supposed to be learning.

Just a hunch.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
It might be because your not supposed to be going on non-educational sites while in school.

Think your supposed to be learning.

Just a hunch.

Thats an Opinion
Besides, I am educating myself, if you think about it, this website can be educational at some times, right?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This web site is very educational.

Talk to the system admin for your school, explain that your looking for information on this site about a particular topic. Ask them to unblock the site.

ATS is a great place for research and the Mods keep the place clean enough for Catholic Nuns.
Your school should have no problem allowing ATS through their firewall if you aproach them with a logical argument.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The product they're using is probably Websense. Very popular in schools and large corporations.

I remember being called into the office at an old job and being asked why I was attempting to access "Political Activist" websites.

Basically Websense puts all sites into categories, and then the Admin of your school gets to pick which categories to block. Obviously adult content, gambling, drug use, etc will be blocked. But certain iffy areas like sports and entertainment are up to them.

Try to find out what category ATS is listed under (it's possible they just enabled a block on all message boards and chat sites). I recall an old thread in which one of our members was using ATS to help in research and was able to get the school to unblock it.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
This web site is very educational.

Talk to the system admin for your school, explain that your looking for information on this site about a particular topic. Ask them to unblock the site.

ATS is a great place for research and the Mods keep the place clean enough for Catholic Nuns.
Your school should have no problem allowing ATS through their firewall if you aproach them with a logical argument.

OK, well I will ask him, I actually know him, and hes a cool guy, so i am sure he will be fine with it.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
you know... the gate7.us proxy works quite well to get around those pesky blocks... and if you like a little variety, you can use gate0, gate5, gate9, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
you know... the gate7.us proxy works quite well to get around those pesky blocks... and if you like a little variety, you can use gate0, gate5, gate9, etc.

if the blocking app like websense will even let you access a proxy site like gate7, but ATS works great on it, I just tried it out. Pretty cool technology IMO. The nice part is all the server logs will show is hits to gate7 so they dont know what you're looking at unless they sniff the traffic. I used to work with someone that used a microsoft proxy site IIRC similair to that one which is nice since it was MS very innocent looking

[edit on 7-9-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet

Well, the tech guy at my school is smart, cause he figured out that we were using proxies, so he blocked most of them, i will try those though, hopefully they will work.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If none of those worked, you could also just do a google search for proxy sites and just keep opening each link until you find a proxy that will work at your school. That's how I ended up finding gate 7 and a few other proxies.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It's a forum.

Lots of education sites, block as many forums as they can get their hands on. Thus it stops people sitting and posting on the forum and keeping computers from those who might actually do some work.

top topics

join