It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do UFOs need lights?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You know tuning? Maybe they're just trying to be cool haha!
Kidding! Maybe they don't use light, maybe it's just sunlight reflecting from the ship.
Now, if you're talking about those ships with multi-colored lights shining around, I have no explanation for it. Maybe something related to the propulsion system?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is an excellent point he very fact UFO's have lights at all means they cannot be aliens. More than likely people are just watching blimps or other aircraft.
If we have equipment to see in the dark surely you would expect an Alien to have it also.

UFO's Debunked

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Often UFOs glow seemingly from the inside out. This can actually make a UFO itself look like a light.

Other UFOs are just reported with lights and often these too are not just any regular lights but often are reported to be different than an average Air Craft Light when seen from close range by witnesses.

The UFO I personally witnessed was glowing light from the inside out and from a distance the entire thing looked like a Yard light until it got close.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Not very stealthy is it with all those lights.

If they go slow and not very high, the light might not appear.

My theory, and perhaps Tesla and Lyne, might be that suspension air/
aether curents are accumulated arround the bottom of the craft.
I suspect the longer in the air the current effect can build up, a
force current would be steady at one height.

It is just an effect of the locomotion. See a China UFO video posted,
perhaps called a fake a dozen times by now, that show lights at start up
from a steady state hover by a building.

I wonder how they see out, we cant see in. Unless some one wearing poloroid
glasses say they did see details. I might believe him.

No marking on the craft, even going slow or in hover.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

This is an excellent point he very fact UFO's have lights at all means they cannot be aliens

I know the followers of the 'no aliens' cult are a few cans short of a six-pack, but you've got to be pulling our leg here.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I know the followers of the 'no aliens' cult are a few cans short of a six-pack, but you've got to be pulling our leg here.

The "no aliens" cult? Look, it's not cultish to lack a belief in aliens visiting us. That's not the same as having a positive belief that *there are* no aliens (the distinction may seem subtle to you, but it's very important). If anyone is cultish, it's the believers that aliens are visiting us, abducting folks, etc. That's a belief, whereas what I have is a withholding of belief until there's sufficient evidence. That's called science, not cult.

Science has the benefit of changing its mind when evidence swings against its tenets. Cults (and religions, for that matter) are noted for the fact that they DON'T change their mind. Faith is not a feature. It's a weakness.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If it is a human made craft then it probably lands at some sort of airport etc., so that is why it needs lights. If it is alien I could still see lights as being useful but the lights may also serve other purposes too. Maybe the lights function as sensors or probes or other purpose beyond illumination?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think maybe everyone is overlooking the obvious. Why do we use lights? To see better!

I expect they scan the ground with various wavelengths at different times in order to get a different signature and more information about what they are seeing. They could and are likely are even using wavelengths that we don't see. Like IR, UV, X-Ray and who knows what else?

If I were going to do a servey of another planet I would certanlly want all the EM spectrum available to use for study.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Not all travel is in excess or even near the speed of light. Simple as that.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthCanHurt
I think maybe everyone is overlooking the obvious. Why do we use lights? To see better!

They can't be travelling very fast, then. Slower than light, at any rate.

If they were travelling faster than light, they'd bump into their own emitted photons. Which would probably be quite painful, given the differential momenta involved at supraluminal velocities.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Ok here is a simple theory about why the UFOs have lights. For identification purposes. Have you ever tried driving at night, and there is a car in front of you that does not have thier lights on, its hard to see em. Now, not all UFOs are "alien". The ones with lights are probably top secret government aircraft. They put the lights on their for others that know, can ID em. Also its illegal for aircraft to fly without lights at night, unless they are on a secret mission. Probably most of the lights people see on the UFOs, are probably man made.

oh p.s. UFO is Unidentified Flying Object. That does not mean all UFOs are Alien.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chaz

I need a light on my car to see where I'm going so I don't hit anything. Does a vehicle that travels faster than light (so you won't even see the light because it got left behind!),

No it wouldn't. I seriously thought no one believed that anymore but apparently they do. If you go the speed of light, and turn on a flashlight, it'd not going to just not emit light. It will emit light, and at the same speed too. It has to do with time dilation and the laws surrounding the speed of light. I dare you to do a google search on it, it's been talked about thousands of times. You would still need headlights at the speed of light, and they'd still work.

or not so fast (to make sure it doesn't hit asteroids)

I imagine they'd have sensors for that.

or, even better, travels between dimensions or using wormholes (so it doesn't actually move physically)... why the need for lights?

I imagine if they went to their destination and it was dark they'd want to see.
I'm sure the lights are for hundreds of reasons. If they didn't need lights they wouldn't use them. Maybe they don't see that spectral range of light and don't even realize that they're glowing. Who the heck knows?

Still laughing about the comments about bumping into their own photons and going too fast for light, priceless.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
In the history of ufos not one has landed, this might mean if there is something strange maybe it is man made, some secret craft, it simply does not make sence for aliens to travel here just to show their crafts and then fade away, why come at all?
I'm sorry but the ufo lovers are a victim posibly of the goverment or of some other people who like to make jokes like crop circles, if they were hostile they would have the tecnology to atack us, atack cities, if they were peaceful they would land and say hello, but all they do is buzz around the sky and that is hapening from ww2 to now, that is a long time, so I think they are just some's people imagination, or posibly a hoax put up by some one, or a phenomen related to earth's atmosfere.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
so I think they are just some's people imagination, or posibly a hoax put up by some one, or a phenomen related to earth's atmosfere.

You know it is possible that UFOs are a very rare Atmospheric phenomena that Science has failed to recognize for many years. However , if that is the case you'd have to concede that most of the UFO witness' were telling you the truth the entire time and that the "Hoaxes" , while persuasive to the gullible , in reality were irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If we accept the premise that UFO's are indeed alien spacecraft here for no other reason than to observe us...couldn't the lights be something like camoflage? I mean seen from a distance one would think airplane...oh look an airplane, and go about ones business, meanwhile the voyeur aliens are busily taking pictures for their scrapbooks...oh look, here's that picture we took while at that quaint little planet we stopped at on the the way to Moms place...

Camouflage...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Don't you think traveling to another ( galaxy - solar system - planet - species ) is gonna cost a lot of money no matter where you're from???

I think they are advertisements for the groups that sponsored the project to travel to earth! You know, sort of like NASCAR. We just can't decipher them.

Sorry- Just a bad attempt at comedy. . .

On a serious note I think it makes a big difference whether the UFO is terrestrial or not. The military's UFO would probably be outfitted with some conventional lighting, and the ET version probably does have something to do with the propulsion system & it's interaction with our atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by TruthCanHurt

They can't be travelling very fast, then. Slower than light, at any rate.

If they were travelling faster than light, they'd bump into their own emitted photons. Which would probably be quite painful, given the differential momenta involved at supraluminal velocities.

As has been stated previously in this thread, these alien ships wouldn't necessarily be spending a long time travelling from planet to planet. In fact, it's quite possible that most of them are Earth-oriented and travelling to other planets is not on their agenda. I would speculate that some of these 'alien' craft are specifically designed for terrestrial activities... they wouldn't necessarily be travelling at or above light-speed while in our atmosphere. We know that at least part of the time, they're travelling sub-light speed.

And honestly, while we're temporarily assuming these ARE alien craft, for the sake of the discussion, how can you assume that these things travel in a strictly A-to-B fashion? They might very well be jumping through holes of space-time to get to their destination, in which case the potential problem you're describing is non-existent.

Personally, I think one of two explanations are possible...
1)These lights are specifically to attract attention
or
2)They're not alien

[edit on 8-9-2006 by firebat]

[edit on 8-9-2006 by firebat]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Lol, advertisements!

"Captain, we have deciphered the alien message!"

"What does it say?"

"Drink your ovalteen."

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
ovaltine....LOL.

seriously, never thought of the need for lights, interesting premise. What if there are bandwidths or spectrums we do not know about yet...photons are particles, and as such can be manupulated. Would be interesting to see some military reasearch on this...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If Alien Crafts are visiting here, the technology equated for this would have to allow them to be able to 'shut-off' their lights at some point as to be not detected.

It wouldn't make since to leave them on unless they wanted to be noticed.

Of course,

If the light is emanating from the inside out, this would be more plausible. Reading a map in the dark is pretty much impossible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join