It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do UFOs need lights?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Quick simple question: Why do UFOs need lights?

All those videos you see of a disk hovering, a light flashing on the top, bottom or side -- why?

I need a light on my car to see where I'm going so I don't hit anything. Does a vehicle that travels faster than light (so you won't even see the light because it got left behind!), or not so fast (to make sure it doesn't hit asteroids) or, even better, travels between dimensions or using wormholes (so it doesn't actually move physically)... why the need for lights?

I like the orb videos, the silver UFO disk videos, the vehicles that look like they just contain a few visitors but don't actually need to move.

Hate the black triangle videos (military), the laser strobe 70's disco UFOs (fake, for effect).

Any comments? Too simplistic a question?

Chaz.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Chaz, as my personal opinion, I don't believe they're necessarily for show but a result of the atmosphere and the anti-gravity field around the aircraft reacting. Perhaps the electromagneticism that's accused of being its propulsion system sort of "becomes excited" sort of like electrons when they jump energy levels, and thus at different electromagnetic intensities, you get different auras of light.

From most of the UFO reports I've read up on, the objects tend to glow rather than just "have lights", so I guess that could go along with my theory. Then in the other case, I guess UFOs have lights to see or get themselves noticed? Hard to touch on a subject that there is not too much information about.

Hope that helps anything!

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
LOL not at all simplistic.. I took part in a debunking of a rather silly ufo photo that i actually recognised as part of a lighting show for a concert in seconds..

This is a question i often thought about..

does it need landing lights? navigation lights, headlights,,??

I seriously doubt it because the likelyhood of an alien being able to see in the same visual spectrum as us AND being the only ones to visit have gotta be pretty high..

Thats why i am for more likely to belive an ''orb'' tybe ufo than i am a ''flying saucer'' with pretty lights spinning around it

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaz

All those videos you see of a disk hovering, a light flashing on the top, bottom or side -- why?

I need a light on my car to see where I'm going so I don't hit anything. Does a vehicle that travels faster than light (so you won't even see the light because it got left behind!), or not so fast (to make sure it doesn't hit asteroids) or, even better, travels between dimensions or using wormholes (so it doesn't actually move physically)... why the need for lights?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If we assume for a second that any of the UFOs depicted with lights have been real alien spacecraft, perhaps the lights are not for for the purposes of illumination, but somehow connected to their means of propulsion.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

As demonstrated in the movies "Close Encounters of the third kind", and "Independance Day", as other movies and shows .....

Perhaps, communication.

Universal communication. Most life forms here on earth have sensory input that permits them to sense light, yet all other senses are not universally the same.

And, the sense of touch could be harmful to either entities, should they meet.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It's purpose is communication, indeed. Some show their lights changing color, before taking off. It might indicate warning signals, signals for distress, or maybe signals to show that they come in peace.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
If we assume for a second that any of the UFOs depicted with lights have been real alien spacecraft, perhaps the lights are not for for the purposes of illumination, but somehow connected to their means of propulsion.

I would agree, the light could be a by product of the energy generation of thier propulsion method. Much like a lighbulb gives off heat AND light.

Also they might have lights for comunication, you see quite a few UFO vids where UFOs blink in and out of sight, and sometime fly in a formation doing this.

Larks

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The lights you see on the bodies of the craft, where they are clearly identifiable lights, are probably there for the same reasons as ordinary aircraft have lights..... a means of identification, recognition and direction of travel. Remember, most of the time these craft aren't going to be travelling at superluminal speeds because they'd spend most of their time running around inside the atmospheres of the planets they visit. Especially on their homeworlds, the easiest way to tell in which direction a craft is travelling is to have a set of coloured lights on the craft such that certain colours are on certain sides of the craft. Much like the green and red wingtip lights on a plane......green on the right (starboard) and red on the left (port). So maybe the patterns of lights you see have some significance to the entities onboard so far as this is concerned.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I have tried to stay away from this subject, but now you bring up the lights. It is a very logical question that deserves a logical answer.

There are two reasons one has lights on something, anything. 1. to illuminate ones path, in simple terms. And 2. to draw attention to something.

I doubt very seriously that UFOs, that are said to travel threw the galaxy, need to light the way. So, I would guess Number 2 applys.

Anyone who has seen one can tell you, UFOs are definate attention getters. But the bigger question is why.

Personally I feel the lights for the most part are diversionary in nature. Something like the old slight of hand. The intention is to see them, but you really have no idea what your looking at, or why. I feel they are advertizing themselves to a small audiance only to cause chaos and confusion and to distort their true mission. And when they are on that "true mission' there will be no lights.

Look up Viamas.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
probably for come kind of communication, if they uses some wavelenght it would travel faster than light,so maybe light is the fastest way to transmit messages. IDK

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Supposedly these UFOs are here in secret and are just observing? If we went to another planet and found life and wanted to observe or at least keep a low profile would we fly around in a ship with a light on the outside? I am assuming that if these things are real they are intelligent enought to have worked that one out?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Unless, as some have suggested, the illumination is part of the propulsion...a by-product...

Regardless what one feels about Lazar for example, (first example that comes to mind), he described the ionization around the craft, which of course illuminated it.

The "lights" of the afterburners of jets are one example....they aren't there to be lights, but same effect.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Well, the British Ministry of Defence report on UFOs ("UAPs") released on their website in May this year says reports of glowing UFOs are due to a naturally occuring plasma.

Other theories in relation to lights associated with UFOs (particularly reports that UFOs surrounded by a "glowing" layer) have included:

(a) Paul Hill states that there is an "illuminated and illuminating sheath of atmosphere [around UFOs which] is a sheath of ionized and excited air molecules often called a plasma" which Hill asserts is caused by a "power-plant-connected, ionizing, wave type radiation from the UFO" [1]

(b) James M Campbell has written a book which discusses reports indicating the presence of plasma, contending that this plasma is the result of "the propulsion system of UFOs [involving] the emission of microwave energy". [2]

(c) A different connection between vehicles and plasma was put forward by Stanton T Friedman in his written statement evidence to the Roush hearing. He referred to publications relating to "interactions between vehicles and plasmas", stating that "there is a body of technology which I have studied and which leads me to believe that an entirely new approach to high speed air and space propulsion could be developed using the interactions between magnetic and electric fields with electrically conducting fluids adjacent to the vehicles to produce thrust or lift and reduce or eliminate such other hypersonic flight problems as drag, sonic boom, heating, etc". [3]

[1] Hill, Paul R in his "Unconventional Flying Objects : A Scientific Analysis" (1995) at 53-54 (in Section III) of the Hampton Roads softcover edition.

[2] Campbell, James M in Chapters 3 and 6 of his book "Ufology". The text of the relevant book is available online at:
www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

[3] Friedman, Stanton J in the Roush Hearing (the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Science and Astronautics "Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects" on 1968.0729) at page 217 of the transcript of the Ninetieth Congress, Second Session, Number 7. Edited and annotated transcript presented by Fuller, John in his "Aliens in the Skies" (1969). Complete transcript available free online at the following links:

ncas.sawco.com...

www.project1947.com...

Hope this helps you.

Of course, the lights could simply be the lights from aircraft etc...

All the best,

Isaac Koi

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thanks guys... very illuminating.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
UFOs don't need lights. However, if they do so, they might just simply carry any technology that emits light for certain reasons.

Alen spaceships are generally dark, they are good at flying and being stealth in dark. Aliens should know what the technology behind UFOs emitting light, and it has nothing to do with people.

However, some aliens may wish to use UFOs emitting light just to impress people who see all this. Nothing more.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I've always been curious about the lighting phenomena that people report. Lets assume for a moment that the lights are an effect rather than a purpose. (I'm not claiming this is true.) Some possible causes we might know about:

Lets take the police reports of the object circling around Ohio and Illinois a few years ago. Police reported a silent, large craft, apparently triangular or rectangular(Cops saw a triangle, but an earlier civilian witness thought it looked rectangular) with large white vertical slats, almost window like, but more bright than a simple lit room, on the sides. If I recall, these lights were usually white but sometimes seemed to be slightly different colors.

So what is being perceived by the police officers are an array of bright white rectangles.

One thought is that it might be ionic propulsion. But ionic propulsion as we know it today is over extremely low power (only good for slow space navigation over years), and the emitter grate tends to glow bluish. Its advantage, however, is that it would be silent. If one had high powered ionic propulsion, one could use it to push a stealth blimp without making a sound.

Now the other big example are glowing, zig,zagging shapes. As for the fluctuations in light that some people perceive in objects they see darting about, my thought always comes back to what happens to fire flies on a hazey night.

The furtrher away they are, the more blue-ish
they look. As a kid, I tried in vain to catch the elusive blue firefly. But every time I got close, they were just the plain old greenish, or more yellowish ones.
So maybe the fluctuation has to do with distance to the object. Maybe it is darting closer and further away? Just a thought. Its hard to say.

Keep in mind that excitation of air at various altitudes will produce red and green light, as seen with auroral colors

Also, burning metals will produce various colors such as red and green.

What we really need is a spectrographic analysis of the light coming off of these things. To see what kind of process is making it.) Sadly, who is going to be wandering around with a spectrographic light analyzer when they run across an event like this?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Thanks guys... very illuminating.

You forgot the drumroll and zinger...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It might be because they are fake, from WW2 ufos with pretty lights led up like a cristmas tree.
If it was for comunications they would just land and say hello, from their first aperence to now is a lot of time and none of the craft landed to do that in all this time, to simply belive some aliens would travel milions of light years here just to put on a light show is something I don't buy.
Most of the cases are fake ufos, the rest are atmosferic anomalies that can be explained.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   

(a) Paul Hill states that there is an "illuminated and illuminating sheath of atmosphere [around UFOs which] is a sheath of ionized and excited air molecules often called a plasma" which Hill asserts is caused by a "power-plant-connected, ionizing, wave type radiation from the UFO" [1]

That's my preferred theory. One should note that these things run on electromagnetism, which is what creates light, and as they shift resonance levels, they'll always have one of three states in relation to our spectrum: Reflecting/absorbing light, transmitting light (invisible), or creating light.

I actually think it's easier for them to be invisible than to become visible, because for us to see them, their atoms have to be exactly within our spectral resonance, otherwise our photons just won't hit them. Guess that's off-subject though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join