It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Megaflare Has Just Occured!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
well the flare just hit was supposed to be bad wasnt it ?

Im not scared - only frightened of ignorance

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Glan believe you me if the sun blows up - or rather when you and I will be long gone from this planet - its ironic given the danger mankind laced itself in during the cold war that after it has gone we find fear in exactly the same threats that existed during it - only now we excite them to panic proportions.

In the 1960s the threat was THE BOMB
In 2000 we worry about asteroids and the Sun - guess they were smoking weed and listening to Bob Dylan during the 60s too

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Checkout the links and do some more searches on you own
The effects could be long lasting and not apparent at first
Tip... get "Google Right Click"when you find a word
term or phrase you dont understand do a search..

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
well the flare just hit was supposed to be bad wasnt it ?

Im not scared - only frightened of ignorance

Well said.

I've read up on it, and all I came away with was the fact that our sun goes through this every 10-15 years. It is, believe it or not, normal. The worst thing that can happen is that we lose TV and cell phone priveldges for a few days. Big deal. It isn't like the sun will die. (It's an orange sun, it has two more cycles and 50 billion years to go before it dies)

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Just a question - i thought HAARP was designed to measure effects in the Ionisphere - ie the effects of solar radiation hitting our protective layer ?

HAARP is a transmission device that emits energy with a different charge than the ambient magnetic field of the planet.

A magnetometer is designed to detect changes in the magnetic field. So it's not the solar radiation that it's detecting, it's detecting the difference in magnetic charge from the incoming solar material and the ionosphere. Does that help?

The sun isn't going to explode, it's mathematically impossible according to nuclear physics. This may be an indication of a longer cycle in play, with a 500 year or 1000 year maxim. How long the maxim lasts is the question..

If we are entering a nasty maxim, and more flares continue when the sun spins around.. really the worse that can happen to the planet would be the rapid acceleration of the ice cap melting. That would have global weather implications, but the sky would not fall.

Originally posted by Kai-Raega

I've read up on it, and all I came away with was the fact that our sun goes through this every 10-15 years. It is, believe it or not, normal. The worst thing that can happen is that we lose TV and cell phone priveldges for a few days. Big deal. It isn't like the sun will die. (It's an orange sun, it has two more cycles and 50 billion years to go before it dies)

Actually that's someone's interpretation. From the historical data that we have on flares, this is anomaly. 9 flares in 14 days is not normal. It's not only the statistical significance of the event, we're talking about VERY agitated sun spots here. This is a handy link..

www.raben.com...

Also, the life of the sun is approximately 5 billion, not 50 billion.

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by kukla]

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by kukla]

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I know how to use google - but cant see the relevence of HARRP aside from a few conspiracy sites that ignore posted factual information

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Silk,

Part of the confusion is in vocab. HAARP is an transmitting instrument that gets interchangeably used with magnetmometer. When you see someone citing HAARP, there actually citing magnetmomber readings..

I attempt to explain this in my previous post..

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
Actually that's someone's interpretation. From the historical data that we have on flares, this is anomaly. 9 flares in 14 days is not normal. It's not only the statistical significance of the event, we're talking about VERY agitated sun spots here. This is a handy link..

www.raben.com...

Also, the life of the sun is approximately 5 billion, not 50 billion.

My, how ever did that extra zero get in there? Maybe Fran and Ollie put it in. I doubt you'll get that joke.

Anyway, I can see your point. However, I believe this "Anomaly" as you call it is just an example of the exception that proves the rule. It's similiar to how the Conservatives don't believe in Global Warming. I Live in NJ, and guess what the tempurature was today? 75 degrees at 2pm....on November 4th no less. I have all the windows open in my house....in November.

At least I won't need an extra order of oil this winter!

But in all seriousness, I see this as just an interesting, but not-all-that-hard-to-believe exception to the rule.

Of course, if we find out a month from now that we all have skin cancer and our atmosphere is burning away, then I suppose I'll give you the nod and admit defeat.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kai-Raega

But in all seriousness, I see this as just an interesting, but not-all-that-hard-to-believe exception to the rule.

That's the way to think about it.

I think we're already seeing the climatological effects though..

Look at the 90 day temp anomaly map. Notice the 16 degree C hotspot in the southpole..

www.cdc.noaa.gov...

p.s. i didn't get the the joke, but that's alright, i'm sure it was funny..

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the intel - but i still dont see a monitoring system as having anything significant to say. Particularily one with a tasking of looking at what it does during solar events. To me its kind of looking at a seismic monitor during an earthquake and saying - wow look what it caused - the proof is in the spikes on the trace.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
We here in Hong Kong were never affected by the Solar
Flare i was disappointed

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The sun seems to be pretty pissed about something

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
I think we're already seeing the climatological effects though..

Look at the 90 day temp anomaly map. Notice the 16 degree C hotspot in the southpole..

www.cdc.noaa.gov...

You know, I never really thought about that. It's almost 70 outside right now, no breeze, and my house is full of gnats thanks to the windows being open...Is this really November?

Maybe you have a point there. These flares could very well be the reason why I'm now debating turning the Air Conditioner on.

Food for thought.

As for the joke, your name, "Kukla", is from a popular children's show during my parent's generation.

www.google.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Well is pretty warm here too - bout 45F or is that C - so bring on the heat - i prefer it warm

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Well is pretty warm here too - bout 45F or is that C - so bring on the heat - i prefer it warm

Lets swap locations then! LOL here(Hong Kong) is dam hot.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I hope these flares keep things warm so we can have another hurricane or two in the atlantic. I love late season swells.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Jrod do you like surfing?

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I hope these flares keep things warm so we can have another hurricane or two in the atlantic. I love late season swells.

Same here, only I love them for a different reason: Our local news affiliates act as if it's the end of the world and we are all going to die. It's funny, actually. The weathermen here hypes storms up so much that you'd think we were preparing for Armageddon, when all we are going to get is some high wind and some heavy rain.

It lightens up the mood of the news. Instead of hearing about one of the two hundred and fifty seven murders that occurred the night prior to the telecast, we can sit and listen to an entire hour and a half of doomsday weather forecasts.

Now that's what I call entertainment.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   

From the historical data that we have on flares, this is anomaly. 9 flares in 14 days is not normal. It's not only the statistical significance of the event, we're talking about VERY agitated sun spots here. This is a handy link..

I believe it was 30 years ago that our sun last underwent a cycle such as this-- does anyone have any comparative data regarding frequency of CME's from that period?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
HAARP was developed by the military to overcome radio interference over long distances using the ionsphere,the HAARP activity before a flare is probably communications with distant parties warning them of the flare or telling someone else to be on the alert when they occur.It is a known phenomenon that EM fields and other like phenomena have an effect on human and animal behaviour,which just may explain all of the trouble in the world right now,or it may be that it is being used to communicate while others who do not possess the technology are shut down from interference.
And then there is the fact that most who are reading these HAARP transmissions have no idea what they are looking at....

The sun is being bombarded by small comets and other debris and has been getting bombarded more than usual for the past 3 years approximately,this may have something to do with the heightened flare activity.

These are a couple of things that have come to be somewhat obvious to me over the past 1 1/2 years,but you must remember that the internet chatter and conspiracy sites are really no more revealing than TV or radio,if a site comes up with something that would really scare anyone it is promptly shut down.

Although these rumors of heightened military aircraft activity are somewhat curious,they may be moving them simply to keep the avionics/electronics from being damaged by a big flare or other interference that is coming,or it may simply be that they are being rotated back to the middle east for some reason,last I knew the majority were all pulled out around month or so ago when the official hostilities by the US were declared over by Top Gun George.

Believe me,if it was a major disaster in the making,we would be the last to know if there was nothing anyone could do about it.

We pay them with our taxes,they develop a bunch of # that will serve no one but them, and it is used for their purposes while we fry.

One more thing,It is all quite meaningless.
Just live your life.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join