It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filmed Death of 'Croc Hunter' Raises Questions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scoobdude

So stop your soccer mom whining about other peoples rights.

Okay, suppose it was your Mom or Dad. Or Uncle, cousinn or whatever, a close relative. I think you would think differently. (Pretend it's your father)

Mod edit: Per author's request.

[edit on 10-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
We all say things we really don't mean, and I doubt he really meant he wanted it out there for the public to view, he never said that, only that he wanted it filmed, not once did I hear him say during that interview he wanted it out there so that anyone could view it.

I think I can figure out the injury from the description of what happened from the people that were there and from the education the media has been handing out on the barb of the stingray, I hardly see how watching him get killed by one is going to be educational.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Watching it lets us know, the positions everyone is in. Any movements Steve and his cameraman made, any movements by the ray that may have been telling. How much light was penetrating the water. ALL SORTS of information form WATCHING and analysing it.

Why is it so hard to understand the educational purposes of this film?

If it wouldn't be educational for YOU, then don't watch it. Don't tell ME that it wouldn't be educational to me. I KNOW better.

Scoob's post said alot. Well said Scoob.

:edit: And as for Steve's comment about his death; what else did he mean by he hoped it was filmed? Just the simple fact of it being filmed? NO. So we could LEARN from it.
And NO, he was not intimating if he died in the wild it would probably be filmed.

:2nd edit: And I would wager that in awhile, Teri will release the video to someone.

[edit on 8-9-2006 by nextguyinline]

[edit on 8-9-2006 by nextguyinline]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i personally would like to see the video. your talking about a guy who spent his life in front of the camera, its only fitting that he die infront of the camera and it be broadcast the same way. i dont feel like there is much to learn from the video but i would like to see it anyway, just to know. i dont even need to see the part where he actually dies. i just want to see the action of getting stuck and him pulling the barb out. if they can show bombs falling through peoples chiminies then they can show the croc hunter pulling a stingray barb out of his chest.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Why do we even feel that's so damn important? Ok, the guy died doing what he loved doing -- I just think if anybody sees the video of his death or not is so immaterial! We have so many problems in our country (US) and in the world, I think it's about time we stopped paying too much attention to the TV personalities no matter how virtuous or charismatic they personally are/were. I hate the "Princess Diana's Death" cult etc etc etc. Celebrities come and go, and even when they do something good for the humanity, so does your local firefighter or pediatrician. Let's get on with our lives.

PS. Paris Hilton was pulled over for drunken driving and made the headline on the CNN web page. This is so sick. Like we have nothing more pressing or interesting to read/watch.

apc

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't care who he is. I just want to see the hit and the stinger come out.

That'd be neato. National Geographic type stuff. Oh, wait...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Is it all that sick to view the video?

Isn't it a part of out human nature to view such things? None of us take joy in the events (that I am sure of), watching a video would be both educational and interesting. After watching the video would that make me a sick person? Of course not.

If the video was aired on a site, yes I would watch, yet not take a joyful pleasure from it, but the interest is still there.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about releasing the video.

On one hand, Steve did say he wanted it on tape if he died. So to respect him you may want to release the video...

But imagine if it was released, it would be out all over the internet. And what if in a number of years his kids stumble apon the video?

Would you wan't a video of your father dying all over the internet?

When Steve Irwin died the news was everywhere, on almost every news site and every forum. The same would happen if the video is released.

In my personal opinion I think the choice should be left to the family.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
People would probably do stupid crap to his death photos and use them inapropriately like every other death video. I'd watch it though.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
And as far as the video not being gory, the man bled to death after pulling a few inches of sting ray barb from out of his chest/heart. I think that's going to be about as gory as you can get.

He died of cardiac arrest, not of blood loss. If anything, the blood coming from the wound would be minimized as his heart wouldn't be pressurizing it and the wound would close behind the barb as he pulled it out.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm a bit cynical but knowing the power of money and how it controls people they could sell this film and make a big TV special out of it and sell it world wide. The interest would be hugh and a lot of $$ could be made.

Maybe this is the forerunner of the return of the Gladiators or something like that.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Why don't YOU give steve the respect he deserves by letting his family make the decision

Exactly. It is for THEM and only THEM to decide...not our place, imho. Any interpretation of Steve's comments should be left to those who knew him best...

Though with so many involved with Steve's show...it's pretty likely it'll surface eventually....

[edit on 8-9-2006 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i doubt anyone who's ever actually seen anyone die would care to see this.

i know i dont.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Steve was a public figure and being such celebrities lose certain privacy rights. So if the video of his death was made pulic or leaked through shady channels to the internet no one can reallly act surprised or distraught.

I for one would like to see it, I mean go to consumptionjunction or the hundreds of otehr websites showing htings of this nature its part of the beauty of hte web.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
BTW it's not true that he pulled the barb out, didn't happen that way, they believe he died immediately upon the barb piercing his heart. So no he did not reach up and pull the barb out, he died it is believed, when the barb pierced his heart according to the people who were there on the scene.

Also the crew went back and finished the remainder of the documentary Steve Irwin had been working on, that was announced on Larry King's show tonight by the producer, Steve Irwin's best friend, they all did it as a tribute to him, to go back and finish it.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Originally posted by Rockpuck

So stop your soccer mom whining about other peoples rights.

Okay, suppose it was your Mom or Dad. Or Uncle, cousinn or whatever, a close relative. I think you would think differently. (Pretend it's your father)

[edit on 8/9/06 by Keyhole]

Would not bother me. Unlike you I look at the whole picture. i would be proud of my parents if they died in this sort of way for a cause they bleieved in (as long as i saw the justification in the cause). But here are a few thiings you should know about me:

1) I focus on the positive and have hope... But also am realistic
2) My wife says I am cold about the way I raise my daughter... realistically i don't want her to be taken advantage of. So I give her the tools she needs (but yes I do show quite a bit of love and affection... after what needs to be done is done) If I show her only unconditional love, I have set her up for failure. But IF i can show her love, discipline, emotinal strength and hurt are all tied together.. well she can now make an educated decision on how she wants to live her life.
3) I was not allowed at my father's funeral by his widow. Nor was I mentioned in the obituary... nice try though
4) I learned from ex wife how people are cruel and manipulative... therefore I do not look at people for who they are, but for what they are. Mother, Father, Preacher.. they all deserve the same respect they give me. No one is above or below me until they have proven otherwise.

You ask how does all this tie in? Well i have a different life story than you. And while most people see some of the things above as horrible, I don't. I file them under lesson learned and use the experiences to my advantage. Hence why I learn from other's mistakes. This why I ONLY argue facts... not oppinions. Oppinons can change, facts still have to be proven in order for the laws surronding them to be rewritten.

Why do I do this? Cause you learn more wacthing others. Hence why I would like to see the video. Oppinion aside you can not say that you COULD NOT learn something from it. If you say that, then there is no reason for you to watch the video.

All in all, its like i said how I want to leave money for my friends to have a good time on me when I die. Is this wrong? Or is it because I am not a celebrity that you did not contest this? Now if you father died and left you money to party on his behalf to remember the good times... would you disrespct his wishs to do so? And if yes.... WHY? Well think of the situation the same as Irwin's. He said what he wanted done. But I can respect the family's wishes... no matter what they are. Unfortunatly you are not the one in charge of the tape so your oppinion does not have much bearing onteh whole sitaution other than if you will allow you and your kids to watch the video.

Good luck in life... I hope it pans out for ya.

P.S. THANKS nextguyinline

[edit on 9-9-2006 by scoobdude]

[edit on 9-9-2006 by scoobdude]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ultimately, the decision should be his family's. I hate to see people abused by those who have no respect for the privacy of others.

However, Irwin was a man who documented his professional life and at least some of his personal life. At the time of his death, he was filming a documentary.

I personally think that Irwin would want the documentary evidence of his death made public, or he would not have expressed the preference that his death occur on camera.

Death is as much a part of life as conception.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If anyone gets ahold of the video and shows it in public or on the internet they will be scorned and 'cast out' for the rest of their lives by the entire world.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
If anyone gets ahold of the video and shows it in public or on the internet they will be scorned and 'cast out' for the rest of their lives by the entire world.

Thanks for thinking for me today. I was feeling kinda lazy?

Have any proof you comment would happen? Like a poll amongst your friends or people from the same church etc?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Another article on the subject. With "professional" oppinons

news.bbc.co.uk...

Enjoy

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join