It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filmed Death of 'Croc Hunter' Raises Questions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There was an interview four years ago where Steve Irwin stated "If I'm going to die, at least I want it filmed." Unfortunately, both happened way too early in his life. So apparently people are afraid this film will get out and be broadcasted, maybe even on TV. A friend of Steve's, said that the death of the "Grizzly Man", Timothy Treadwell ,was captured on the audio of his video camera, but was never released, and he hopes the film of the last moments for Steve will never be public either. The authorities have the film right, but, hopefully when they return it to us (Steve's producer talking), we can destroy the film.

www.cnn.com
NEW YORK (AP) -- "If I'm going to die," the late "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin said in a 2002 interview, "at least I want it filmed."

He spoke with his usual humor, and clearly had no idea what would happen four years later. But the fact is, a tape does exist of Irwin's fatal encounter with a stingray while filming a TV show.

And so the question arises: In the age of instant Web videos, might it get out? And in the broader sense, is making footage of a death public ever justified?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think something like this should not even have to be brought up, even with the comments that Steve Irwin made four years ago.

This man had a very close family, close friends and alot of people that loved him who never even met him. Why would anybody want to watch his death. Imagine the death of one of your loved ones could pop up on TV at any time while you were going thru the channels. He should be remembered for who he was, and what he had done, not for his last moments of life.

Then again, unscrupulous people who have no feelings will do anything for money.

[edit on 6-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 7-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hopefully the only people to have a copy will be his family. Then they can destroy it and make sure it never gets out.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Or you could release it like Steve Irwin would of most likely had wanted. I would bet his family would agree.

His stated purpose for living was education and this film IMO is exactly that—educational. I'm sure alot of people would like to see why maybe this ray did this so that they may not find themselves in the same situation.

It's not like it will ever be shown on the Discovery channel. But the producers would be able to obtain a copy, watch it with assorted professionals and produce an educational program about sting-rays.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
isn't there some sort of stipulation where you can't show an actually death incident on national public tv?
i can see it blasting through the web, but can't see it reaching the masses through normal tv.
and i'd have to back what steve wanted. if he wanted it released to the public forum, then so be it. respect the man's wish, but at at the proper venue.

we were actually swimming with rays in belize the day this happened, so when we got back to caye caulker to find this out is was quite shocking.
RIP stevo. hugs to the family.
-b

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think the educational part of this has already been learned.. Don,t go swimming in waters where a stingray may feel threatened..

We do NOT need to see the video of it.. what next??

show the alqaeda executions to show us not to go to iraq
or guys getting their legs blown off to show us not to go running into a minefield

Some things are just plain common sense and dont need a gory death video to push the point

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
My take on accounts of the video is that it isn't gorey at all. I bet divers would be very interested in learning all they can from this video. Someone has to view it to get that information. Hiding it, or destroying it is not beneficial to the family, or anyone. It also is not disrespectful to Steve or his death.

I've seen video from Hiroshima that shows dead people; for example. The lesson was learned — dont be close to an atomic bomb when it detonates. But it is shown for educational purposes. Over and over and over.

apc

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Definitely the family should have the say. I would like to see it, however. And knowing his reputation, Irwin would in my opinion have been all for it.

I just want to know... where was his thumb?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Well reading the local newspapers here it is pretty clear that the video will be destroyed when the coroner and police are finished with it. I'm not sure Steve Irwin's quote about the filming of his death has been interpreted properly. I dont see where he says he wants his death broadcast on television, just that he believes it'll be filmed. I see it as a reference to how dangerous his line of work actually is, not a wish for it to be televised if or when it happens.

And as far as the video not being gory, the man bled to death after pulling a few inches of sting ray barb from out of his chest/heart. I think that's going to be about as gory as you can get.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I think it would be in very bad taste to show the video. I wouldn't watch, that's for sure.
There will be some who will.
I hope it doesnt get released.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think the decision should be left to one person. His wife. Sometimes "the family" can't come to a decision that all would agree on. And since his wife (supposedly) knows him best, it should be left to her. If he really would want it televised or shown publically and she's ok with it... who's to say it's wrong?

There would, of course, be a warning for people who didn't wish to see it. I wouldn't want to see it, myself, but it's not up to me whether it's shown or not.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

death of the "Grizzly Man", Timothy Treadwell ,was captured on the audio of his video camera, but was never released

Actually it was released, and was on a documentary. I heard it, and it is not easy to listen to.

I hope they never release Steve Irwins tape though. It would just be to hard to watch.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wouldn't a copy of the film still be in possesion of the company that produces the show? It is their material, after all, not the family's, unless Steve owned the company. I can see the company using the footage as a huge ratings booster, as unethical as it may sound.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Steve Irwin's manager and close friend implied in the article the film will be destroyed:

Irwin's manager and close friend, John Stainton, had the painful experience of watching the videotape where Irwin pulls the stingray barb from his chest. He called it "shocking."

Stainton later said on CNN's "Larry King Live" that he would never want the tape shown publicly.

"I mean, it should be destroyed," Stainton told King on Tuesday evening. Noting the tape now is evidence in a coroner's inquest, Stainton said, "When that is finally released, it will never see the light of day. Ever. Ever. I actually saw it, but I don't want to see it again."

But still, you are right, it would be the film companies property. I guess, ultimately, it would be up to them to release or destroy the film.

[edit on 7/9/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Isn't anyone on ATS morbidly curious on seeing it? I wouldn't be surprised if the film is already on the net.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Theoretically there should only be one copy. The program was being filmed at the time, meaning it was in the hands of the film crew. The tape had not yet gotten back to anyone else, no production crews, no media entities, nothing. Additionally, this all took place underwater so it's not like any bystanders took shots as well.

There should exist just one copy, which at the moment is in the hands of the authorities. It's absolutely impossible for a copy of it to exist anywhere else, online or otherwise.

Once the authorities have finished conducting their review, they will return it to the representatives of Irwin's family and corporation. At that point it will be up to them what to do with it, and as mentioned above, all indications are that it will be destroyed.

I understand the points made about him wanting people to see it, it's possible. But people must also keep in mind, this is someone's husband, someone's dad, someone's son. It should not ever be publicly aired.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hes a bit different, once you open your life up to the public...you cant really shut it down...
Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
In my oppinion its not our right to decide if it gets aired or not. But I would like to see the footage. Not because I am a (insert deragatory adjative or noun here), but becasue learning from mistakes is somthing I like to do. On the same note you have no right to judge me on the issue or decide if it gets releases either. You do have the POWER to decide to watch it or not though.

The facts: There is probably more gore in a mexican newspaper or news program

Steve Irwin made a statement in a documentary

The tape is not in any of our hands

Sometimes people have other views than you (for instance I am leaving a couple hundred bucks for all my friends to get drunk while I cruise on up to the promised land
... why... cause I want people to remember me.. not what they never told me, never did with or for me etc)

Moral: Your oppinion is noted and will be taken into consideration... please understand other people have theirs and while you may not agree.... They are still entitles to them

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
Or you could release it like Steve Irwin would of most likely had wanted. I would bet his family would agree.

His stated purpose for living was education and this film IMO is exactly that—educational. I'm sure alot of people would like to see why maybe this ray did this so that they may not find themselves in the same situation.

It's not like it will ever be shown on the Discovery channel. But the producers would be able to obtain a copy, watch it with assorted professionals and produce an educational program about sting-rays.

You feel the need to watch Steve Irwin die for educational purposes? Is our society so numb to death that we see on our nightly news that we would actually ask to watch an icon like Steve be stabbed in the chest? You think his wife, his young children would want the entire world to see how Steve was impaled by a stingray.. rip it out and die... honestly I hope this film is burned, that Steve gets the respect he and his family deserves and of course that Australia keeps his zoo open.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Not necessarily me. Read a little further in my posts. Somebody has too, so all can learn from it.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

You feel the need to watch Steve Irwin die for educational purposes? Is our society so numb to death that we see on our nightly news that we would actually ask to watch an icon like Steve be stabbed in the chest? You think his wife, his young children would want the entire world to see how Steve was impaled by a stingray.. rip it out and die... honestly I hope this film is burned, that Steve gets the respect he and his family deserves and of course that Australia keeps his zoo open.

How about you complain to the medical schools for using ded bodies to educate the future generations of doctors

Why don't YOU give steve the respect he deserves by letting his family make the decision. Geez. And again, what makes you an expert on respect. Burping is considered rude here, but a compliment elsewhere. Stop pushing your western views on those who do not want it.

In all honesty.. do find vulgar language on TV something you should shelter kids from... should we also drive them school and keep them under our wing to someone else can take over. It happens people. Death is a certain in life. So stop your soccer mom whining about other peoples rights. If THEY release it I have the right to watch it. I am not forcing you to watch it and I am also not FORCING my oppinion on you. I am however voicing mine. But I leve the decision in the hands of those who hold the tape. And I repect Irwin for what he has done. So why can we not do what he asked us to do?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join