It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPod iWear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Icuity iWear for iPod are a remarkable realization of the videoshades referred to by science fiction writers less than twenty years ago.

Yes, iPod has a great little screen. But why not relax with a 44 inch virtual screen - a movie experience that fits right in your pocket. Check the specs:
-Twin high-resolution 320x240 (230,000 pixels) LCD Displays.
-Equivalent to a 44" screen viewed at 9 feet.
-24-bit True color (16 million colors).
-Weighs 4 oz.
-iPod battery life remains the same as if using the iPod screen.
-60 Hz update rates.

It offers +2 to -5 diopters, so you can use it without your glasses. The flexible headphones are removable and the viewer pivots up to 15 degrees for comfort.

The nosepiece also adjusts, along with the custom fit headstrap.
Incredibly, you get all this for just $300.

SOURCE:
Technovelgy.com

Not something of any particular interest to me, as I refuse to buy an iPod.
Figured it would interest the members with iPods though.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Why do you refuse to buy ipod?

I dont buy it because its expensive and I have no real use for it. My little mp3 player is just fine.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Because they only allow you to download music that they
make available.

And I believe in music sharing, and generally stuff that the
corporations and moneyicians (musicians only in it for the
money) are against.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
make available.

money) are against.

no you can transfer any mp3 to your ipod.

I bought a shuffle
because it was the cheapest one an I can wear it around my neck when I use it, also it is like flash memory.

They are quality piece of equipment.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
D-mn you Xphiles, now I need a different reason to not want one. lol

OK, well another reason...because it's not super multifunctional.

Like those cell phones/digital cameras/music players/digital space/
everything else.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
make available.

money) are against.

Fair enough, and I tend to agree.

I am happy with my cheap little mp3 player. I can put whatever i want on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't like IPods cuz I don't really listen to music. However, with Apples new plans of making the IPod a portable user entertainment centre, I do plan on getting a video IPod in the near future(when they release the 100 GB version with at least 780p support).

I've also heard a rumor that they plan on rolling out automated Kiosks where you will be able to buy or lease Music/Movies/Television from a place like Blockbuster. This will be primarily for working people who don't want to deal with slow download speeds and people without broadband internet.

Just look at that. I've been waiting for this for sooooo long...

Eventually you'll have hardware hackers modding these things up to hook up to the PC and add in some motion detection(with a webcam maybe?) and you got some poor mans VR!

This one is better though..

Display
- 2 VGA LCD panels (920,000 pixels each)
- 640 by 480 resolution in true color, supports upto 1024x768 on PC's and Laptops
- 26° field of view
- Image appears as if projected at a distance
of 7 feet
- 15 degrees of vertical tilt
- Left/right, independent focus (approx. +2 to -6 diopters)

Video Input Formats
-Decodes both Standard NTSC and PAL

Field Sequential NTSC 3D
- S-Video*
- VGA: 640 by 480 2D at 60Hz
- VGA: 640 by 480 field sequential 3D at 60Hz

[edit on 12-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You don't need multifunctionality when it comes to music. Do you ask a cd player to also be a cell phone? Or your stereo to be able to print your photos? No, you don't. And all this multifunctionality, a lot of the times just ends up creating a product that is a jack at all trades, but master at none.

I LOVE my iPod video 30GB. I have always been obssessed with music of all kinds since I was a child, so I actually NEED all that room. I've got 5GB free. And I also transfer a couple of my movies over, so that if I'm bored or stuck somewhere I have my favorite movies on it with me to help pass the time (movies and music is really all the multifunctionality I need in my media player, thats more than I've gotten out of my cd player before mp3's were invented LOL).

And all itunes does is convert the files into an ipod readable file...but you can transfer any audio file into itunes. It will also download your cd's into that same file format, so you can put in your whole catalogue of music cd's like I have.

I've owned a lot of the mp3 players out there, but my ipod video has been my all time favorite.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
YES! the SHUFFLE is so amazingly great! Plus, it's so insanely little and inexpensive! And it's so light you don't even know it's there - I just tuck it between my neck and my therma-wrap when I run and no probs
Like you said, it's also a great jump-drive... Plus, iTunes stuff is very easily coded into mp3 or wmf by using software to record your soundcard's output =)

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

You don't need multifunctionality when it comes to music. Do you ask a cd player to also be a cell phone? Or your stereo to be able to print your photos? No, you don't. And all this multifunctionality, a lot of the times just ends up creating a product that is a jack at all trades, but master at none.

Perhaps you don't, but I like multifunctionality.

I like having one thing that can do multiple things, not only does it keep
it from ebing boring, but it means I can carry less things.
Also, it's cheaper to wait until a multifunctional device comes out and pay
the $200USD for it (the one I'm getting cost that) than end up paying
over a grand for a bunch of devices that all only do one of the things that
the one device can.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I've got this little 1GB nano. It's a great little piece of technology. I love it. I'm just really
it's only got 1GB of storage space!!! Why I did not get the 4GB version I will never know . . .

Pffft, and who used iTunes Music Store to download music?
There is something called Limewire. I've currently got about 4-5 GB of my favourite music of that wonderful program.

But of course, if you didn't listen to music, they don't really have much use, except as a really expensive USB storage device.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
That's the point though, multifunctionality doesn't really mean perfection or quality. I could easily just stick a 2 gig card into my smartphone, to hold music, but that will only hold a small amount of my collection, while with my iPod i have my WHOLE LIBRARY in my hands. That single use item that fits in the palm of my hand just saved me from carrying boxes upon boxes and crates of cd's with me at any given moment. 2 Gigs can't touch the 30 GB storage on my ipod.

On top of that, the sound quality from my smart phone is nothing compared to the output quality of my ipod. My ipod puts out cd quality digital sound, while my smartphone upon playing mp3's sounds small and tinny.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but just putting my point across that multifunctionality isn't everything in some cases. In some cases single function is the best , because that one item is the best at doing that one thing, instead of compromising quality for added features.

BTW my ipod video can sync w/ my microsoft outlook to grab appointments and calendar dates. But if i want that I would much rather use my smartphone.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
My computer is multifunctional and it's great at pretty much everything, from Video Games to Audio stories and everything in between. Smart Phones will eventually get to the point of just being a handheld PC. Some of them already have 200 mhz chips in them.

top topics

join