It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad to Speak at UN on 9/19

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The Islamic Republic News Agency has announced that Iranian President Ahmadinejad will be speaking before the UN General Assembly in New York. Apparently the address will come shortly after a visit to the summit of Non-Aligned Movement countries in Havana.

www.drudgereport.com
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is to attend the summit of Non-Aligned Movement countries in the Cuban capital Havana in mid-September, an official said Wednesday.

Ahmadinejad said in Tehran Wednesday that his attendance of the UN General Assembly would be a "suitable opportunity" to challenge Bush in a television debate.

"My forthcoming visit to New York for the UN General Assembly would be a suitable opportunity to hold the debate and all world people, especially the Americans, could hear and watch it without censorship," the news agency ISNA quoted the Iranian president as saying in a cabinet session.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find this news interesting in that it demonstrates a real difference between the political climate leading up to the Iraq War and the current situation surrounding Iran. Ahmadinejad is being extremely vociferous in his stance defending Iran's nuclear ambitions and is doing a very effective job of staying visible and making public statements which ensure his high profile. Additionally, and somewhat paradoxically, he is also making a significant gesture in his visit to Havana and his intention to meet with Castro accompanied by Chavez. Not that Saddam rolled over, but he was not as truculent, public, and antagonistic as Ahmadinejad seems to be...of course he didn't have any WMD's either...or did he...

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I just seen this on cnn,if bush was thare what would be the chances of somthing happning?to targets in one place.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Who in the US government gave him a visa to enter the United States? I ask this because this seems to me to be a bad move on our part, why give him the chance to speak in front of the UN or even step foot on one square inch of US soil?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't think we really have much choice when it comes to the UN. Considering he's the leader of a soveirgn nation I strongly doubt he'd be much of a security risk, so the worst he can do is exercise free speech. And considering this is America where the UN is located I say we should just let him say what he wants to say and then the US and our allies can say what we want to say. Preferably like gentlemen (or ladies) that is.

Although I was quite certain the Bush administration already refused the debate.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Do you think Ahmadinejad wants to come to the U.S and New York City hoping to be assassinated and thus becoming a Martyr resulting in a radical Islamic uprising? Comments please.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure if we wanted to we can refuse anyone a visa, sovereign leader or not I would not give an individual like him access into the US.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I'm pretty sure if we wanted to we can refuse anyone a visa, sovereign leader or not I would not give an individual like him access into the US.

Why not? Doesn't it make sense to have direct dialogue before putting sanctions on them? Or bombing them later on?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Who in the US government gave him a visa to enter the United States?

No head of state has ever been denied a visa to attend the UN General Assembly, except Arafat in 88. Ahmadinejad has already been to the UN in September 2005 too.

For that matter, former Iranian president Khatami is now touring around the US like a rock star.

Former Iranian President Khatami, now touring the courtesy of President Bush who supplied the visa and the State Department security detail, and with the right of unrestricted travel in the US. Persian Journal

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Maybe the US will rub off on them and they will drop the rhetoric.

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul Revere
Do you think Ahmadinejad wants to come to the U.S and New York City hoping to be assassinated and thus becoming a Martyr resulting in a radical Islamic uprising? Comments please.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Why not?

I wouldn't give this man a forum such as the UN to spread his message of hate for the west.

Doesn't it make sense to have direct dialogue before putting sanctions on them? Or bombing them later on?

"Direct dialogue"? Buddy where have you been, we've had years of this back and forth political lingo in which Iran has had PLENTY of chances and time for negotiations and cooperation. They have snubbed all of them, now they are even violating a UN resolution (which isn't worth the paper it's written on I know but...) that is why they are facing possible sanctions.

And Regenmacher this Khatami episode IMO is one of those 'what were they thinking' type of thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Wastpoint23...When has Bush ever agreed to have direct dialogue with Iran? I think they should all sit at a table and talk it out before any action is taken place. That is what civilized people do. They can argue their points with each other, instead of using the TV and lesser politicans as mediums.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Who in the US government gave him a visa to enter the United States? I ask this because this seems to me to be a bad move on our part, why give him the chance to speak in front of the UN or even step foot on one square inch of US soil?

What are you afraid of?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
West, I like you and all, but there is a reason people who think like you are not in office. Denying him thre opportunity to speak here at the UN would be more to antagonize the volatile situation rather than calm it down. And he does not talk about burning the west in a nuclear holocaust at the UN, so exactly what do you believe he is going to say at the UN that equates to preaching hate for the west?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Wastpoint23...When has Bush ever agreed to have direct dialogue with Iran? I think they should all sit at a table and talk it out before any action is taken place.

Why should he? This not only a US matter, it's a world issue as such they have no business wanting to talk solely to the US. And IMO there is nothing to talk about anyway, this isn't a debate club, like I said Iran has had years now to sort this out, nothing.

Originally posted by La Balance
What are you afraid of?

Nothing, I just don't want people like him in the US.

DYepes, lets hope so, but to be frank with you I do not think this situation can be resolved.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I think it's pretty sad that bush won't even debate him in a live forum. It could actually be a turning point for how the world sees us.....if bush did a good job at the debate that is. And you never know, they might actually end up liking one another, getting better relations between our countrys.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Jee sorry westpoint..
but are you saying he shouldnt be given the chance to voice his side?
That he should just allow the US to dominate the UN against IRAN?

Simply because he isnt bowing to the US, he should immediaetly be BANNED from public speaking at the UN?

Why dont we just bomb him now, and forget about innocent until proven guilty huh?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Wastpoint23...When has Bush ever agreed to have direct dialogue with Iran? I think they should all sit at a table and talk it out before any action is taken place.

Why should he? This not only a US matter, it's a world issue as such they have no business wanting to talk solely to the US. And IMO there is nothing to talk about anyway, this isn't a debate club, like I said Iran has had years now to sort this out, nothing.

What are you afraid of?

DYepes, lets hope so, but to be frank with you I do not think this situation can be resolved.

Sorry westpoint, i might be a little rusty here.
But Ahmajdine is talking to the UN...

isnt the UN building in the USA?

who put that there?

Its an unfortunate thing that the UN is in America.. because nations have a right to argue there case against the USA.

you'd much rather the USA have unrestricted access to do as they please eh?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   

What are you afraid of?

Problem there is the rest of the world wnats to talk, and sort this out through dialouge.
the US is demanding sanctions...

being the US are the suppposid world superpower..
doesnt it make sense to try and talk to the leader of the pack who refuses to talk? when all his followers want to talk?

Iran has a right like every other country to argue there case.
Infront of the UN, and against whom ever is pushing the hardest.
Its your government pushing this issue, and its your government who refuses to talk directly with IRAN.. so what should they do? jsut stop trying? and accept the fate that awaits?

You may be ok with rolling over and dying for a weak cause.. but im damn sure iran wont.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I say let him come on..........someone will end up putting a bullet in him, If I were him I wouldnt step foot on U.S. soil, alot has happend since he was here in 2005..

I doubt he will actually come anyway......

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If he follows in the footsteps of Mohammed Mossadegh, he'll have them eating out of the palm of his hand.

Yep, it looks like Khatami was the warm-up act. Pre-empting them on the religious front.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join